PDA

View Full Version : Keto for PLers and Strongmen...

tjoe
02-12-2009, 12:55 PM
I have asked Dave about this myself as I was unhappy with a little extra gut BUT wanted to stay strong for some Strongman stuff coming up.

He said to follow his diet as outlined EXCEPT for the meal Before training! This meal should be 50g of whey pro and 1 scoop of Waxi maize (apx 35g of carbs). This is a good enough amount to fuel your training session but not so much that it will knock you out of ketosis. EVERYTHING else remains the SAME!

I have been following this since Jan 1st and so far so good. I am staying at least as strong and I am currently down a bit over 20lbs.

questions, comments etc... let em fly here!

tjoe
02-12-2009, 01:12 PM
side note - I forgot to mention that I followed a STRICT keto diet for 2.5 weeks BEFORE adding the carbs in preworkout! This is IMPORTANT! This step gets you deep into ketosis and burning fat. If you do NOT follow this step it is likely that it will take MUCH longer to get into ketosis (since you will be adding that small amount every time you train) and you WILL feel like SHIT!!

Stay STRICT for 2 weeks!! No pre workout carbs, NO cheat meal.
AFTER that, you can add in the pre workout waxi and incorporate the weekly cheat meal (which should be the last meal of the day, same day every week).

robert da strongman
02-12-2009, 01:13 PM
looks good

well this is week one for me.

billy mimnaugh
02-12-2009, 04:47 PM
Im actually dieting for a bodybuilding show in June.Dave is doing the diet,but Im planning to enter two powermeets at 220 and 242 along the way and right after.Im keeping very good strength thus far.I expect to go over 2000 at 220 and over 2100 at 242.I normally lift at 308-super.The guy is brilliant.

robert da strongman
02-12-2009, 04:49 PM
cool!

only thing i didnt do is the 2 weeks of strict keto...
need to be 231 or under by april

David
02-13-2009, 10:31 AM
So when you're doing the diet with the extra pre-workout waxi-maize how much longer are you able to train as opposed to Dave's recommended ~8 sets per large muscle group?

tjoe
02-13-2009, 03:53 PM
well as for myself, I feel great. period. I keep pretty low volume anyway, but I do not run out of energy (and my weight is still dropping, at the moment). I don't think the idea of the waxi was to really train "longer" but to have a good fast acting energy source for fuel during your training. Remember that when I asked Dave about this, my main concern was to stay strong, secondary was to drop a few pounds. So the waxi is just to have a kick ass workout, then its gone and back to the pro and fats.

also don't forget that strongman training is different than normal bodypart stuff. Even on "overhead" days, it's more like full body. Tremendous stress on the core, leg drive etc. Then event days are even worse! Try doing a near max farmers walk. EVERYTHING is thight! Hips, legs, grip, back and when you hit that turn you realize how much you have to fight that weight from twisting you into a pretzel. For that kind of stuff, you need something a little more efficient than fats.

robert da strongman
02-13-2009, 04:06 PM
i havent been using waxi but just 2 scoops of gainer for the carbs.
so far i am good...day 5 and i havent killed anyone yet. but i want a freaking donut.

tjoe
02-13-2009, 04:09 PM
BITE YOUR TONGUE!!!

I love donuts! when I am not "dieting" we take family rides on the weekend and I always swing into Dunkin Donuts and grab a coffee and 2 donuts. Man, I sure could use a ride!!

robert da strongman
02-13-2009, 04:14 PM
even worse...girl scout cookies delivered today.

tjoe
02-13-2009, 04:23 PM
Thin Mints... cause I would run through a box of those things!

robert da strongman
02-13-2009, 04:35 PM
the peanut butter ones...

tjoe
02-13-2009, 04:36 PM
hope there not tainted!!

robert da strongman
02-13-2009, 04:39 PM
nothing beats losing weight like Sam n' Ellas Colon Cleanse

MartyMcFly
02-14-2009, 02:10 AM
nothing beats losing weight like Sam n' Ellas Colon Cleanse

you guys are hilarious...nice chatter about the donuts and cookies

robert da strongman
02-14-2009, 01:07 PM
thanks...

so starting week 2....

the true test was this morning...event day. not bad! check my journal for the details.
feeling energetic and light. although the scale doesnt say so.

robert da strongman
02-14-2009, 03:06 PM
my typical eating...

training day:
wake up...cup of coffee
preworkout/b'fast...2scoops whey, 2scoops gainer, 2tbsp wheat germ
during workout...no-xplode 3 scoops, bcaas, l-carnitine
post...4 eggs, 1/4 cup cheese, sausage
before work...1 fiber plus bar, 1 cup coffee
at work...usually 1lb of red meat, fish , or chicken
snack...1 cup cashews, protein bar

non training days i just dont have the shake or no-xplode. do my cardio with just coffee in me.

weightgain4000
02-16-2009, 01:27 AM
I have asked Dave about this myself as I was unhappy with a little extra gut BUT wanted to stay strong for some Strongman stuff coming up.

He said to follow his diet as outlined EXCEPT for the meal Before training! This meal should be 50g of whey pro and 1 scoop of Waxi maize (apx 35g of carbs). This is a good enough amount to fuel your training session but not so much that it will knock you out of ketosis. EVERYTHING else remains the SAME!

I have been following this since Jan 1st and so far so good. I am staying at least as strong and I am currently down a bit over 20lbs.

Would you mind going over the basics of a keto diet? I've been eating everything for over a year now and I'm looking to shed some obeseness. I'm currently at 265lbs.

Viking
02-16-2009, 01:40 AM
OK boys im not leaving you in the dark, might as well have others suffer.

I'm starting dave's diet in 6 hrs. I've got the food already just never did a full on keto.

We should start a PL/Strongman Keto support group.

tjoe
02-16-2009, 09:20 AM
Would you mind going over the basics of a keto diet? I've been eating everything for over a year now and I'm looking to shed some obeseness. I'm currently at 265lbs.check out Daves Q&A thread for the basic diet... it's listed on the very first page.

I'm starting dave's diet in 6 hrs. I've got the food already just never did a full on keto.

We should start a PL/Strongman Keto support group.good to hear. it's not bad at all once you get going on it.

For those of you just starting out... I would do the diet EXACTLY as laid out on the first page of Daves Q&A thread. STRICT for 2 weeks and then you can add in the cheat meal once a week, last meal of the day, same day every week. Keep going just like that and monitor your strength levels, they should not fall for a while... once they start to drop just a bit, THEN switch over your pre training meal to 1 scoop waxi and 2 scoops pro (but other than that, change NOTHING).

Good luck and keep checking in here for questions, comments, suggestions etc!

robert da strongman
02-16-2009, 11:31 AM

We should start a PL/Strongman Keto support group.

hi my name is Rob and i want.....COOKIES!!!!!!

robert da strongman
02-16-2009, 11:35 AM
damn i had my cheat meal last night....BK triple angry whopper. paying for it today.

toddbz
02-16-2009, 02:53 PM
damn i had my cheat meal last night....BK triple angry whopper. paying for it today.

Delish on the lips...followed by fireball shits ;)

robert da strongman
02-16-2009, 03:27 PM
haha...never again. pizza next time.

Viking
02-16-2009, 05:31 PM
So today went as usual....cravings, I just suffer through it to train my brain to start to think differently.

robert da strongman
02-16-2009, 05:53 PM
they eventually go away.
makes me appreciate cheat meals though

weightgain4000
02-16-2009, 08:23 PM
Is it ok to take a NO/preworkout supplement along with the whey and waxy?

robert da strongman
02-16-2009, 08:26 PM
i take no xplode during.

GameofInches
02-16-2009, 08:40 PM
my typical eating...

training day:
wake up...cup of coffee
preworkout/b'fast...2scoops whey, 2scoops gainer, 2tbsp wheat germ
during workout...no-xplode 3 scoops, bcaas, l-carnitine
post...4 eggs, 1/4 cup cheese, sausage
before work...1 fiber plus bar, 1 cup coffee
at work...usually 1lb of red meat, fish , or chicken
snack...1 cup cashews, protein bar

non training days i just dont have the shake or no-xplode. do my cardio with just coffee in me.

What is the nutritional breakdown for the 2 scoops gainer you take for b'fast? I would think that would be very high calorie and even have carbs in it. Also, does the fiber plus bar and protein bar have carbs in it? Those extra carbs would not let you get into a state of Ketosis. Just curious

robert da strongman
02-16-2009, 08:49 PM
protein bar has 1g sugar, fiber bar has 7g, the weight gainer....?? have to check.
believe me it helps with the training. other people say you can go into ketosis with carbs.
i only take these in the morning.

GameofInches
02-16-2009, 09:01 PM
protein bar has 1g sugar, fiber bar has 7g, the weight gainer....?? have to check.
believe me it helps with the training. other people say you can go into ketosis with carbs.
i only take these in the morning.

I know what you mean. I was just curious. I have tried Keto diets before and never really liked them too much. I would prefer a lower carb diet (ie center carbs pre and post workout) rather then a no carb diet. But whatever the diet someone uses, the key is to stick with it to the end. Keep going strong man!

robert da strongman
02-16-2009, 09:05 PM
yeah these are preworkout only. and only on gym days. off days or cardio days are purely no carb

Viking
02-16-2009, 09:11 PM
I just had my post workout meal, it was good as hell.

2 cups of green beans with half cup of almonds, 2 cups of spinach and half pound of turkey.

I almost ate through the plate lol

One more meal to go then bed and wake at 5am cst for cardio.

robert da strongman
02-16-2009, 09:12 PM
nice meal...

Viking
02-16-2009, 09:14 PM
I found green giant steam things part of their health blends, they are great for a single serving for me.

robert da strongman
02-16-2009, 09:14 PM
they have fresh broccoli like that here.

weightgain4000
02-16-2009, 10:15 PM
What do you guys take after your workout?

robert da strongman
02-16-2009, 10:17 PM
for me i head home and eat 4eggs with sausage and cheese.

robert da strongman
02-17-2009, 11:28 AM
i hate cardio and keto....

tired cranky and mean

anyone else get that way?

Frosty
02-17-2009, 12:13 PM

I know Charles Poliquin is big on proper diets for maximal strength development. Many of his guys follow a "low carb" approach to meet this goal.

The whole idea is maximizing brain function, which means you have to find out what works for your body. If you're meant for low carb and you go through the adaptation phase, then a low carb approach with the right foods and macros is the way to go. A guy that actually needs carbs (25% of guys) shouldn't try this approach.

Either way, some form of carbs around workout time is needed. Poliquin does it in his PWO shake...Palumbo says before. But either way it's the same sort of diet and carbs around the workout.

I would pay attention to what foods make you feel alert. Eggs, beef, and buffalo tend to be more stimulating proteins. I'd play with them and see how they make you feel.

The best test is to eat a meal and just see how you feel after. Does that meal make you tired? If so, something's wrong. If you feel good and alert, that's a good meal for helping to gain strength!

One thing I might consider is Poliquin has his low carb guys go 2-2.25g/lb bwt of protein to help gain strength and mass. This is something to experiment with for this goal.

Viking
02-18-2009, 01:39 AM
i hate cardio and keto....

tired cranky and mean

anyone else get that way?

Goes with dieting in general, it hits you mentally which affects you physically.

I'll be one pissed off mofo next week but in a month the mirror will give me motivation.

tjoe
02-18-2009, 08:56 AM
make sure you guys are getting in enough fats!
Both times I did the diet (including now), I was not tired or cranky. So I would guess 1 of 2 things is going on...
You are not fully in ketosis yet and the brain is fighting for the "right" fuel OR you are in ketosis but the fats (overall calories) are too low.

robert da strongman
02-18-2009, 11:54 AM
true i will add some fish oil for now.

or just eat a stick of butter...

tjoe
02-18-2009, 12:12 PM
haha!! No butter! get some MacNut oil and add in a 2-3 Tbspn per day.

robert da strongman
02-18-2009, 12:16 PM
i have looked everywhere...where do you get it?

tjoe
02-18-2009, 12:22 PM
I found some at WHole Foods. about $20 a bottle though.
Dave is also going to have it available through Species very shortly!

Viking
02-18-2009, 05:32 PM
Tuna or Omega eggs for this guy...

Whats your guys' view on megadosing Omega-3?

robert da strongman
02-18-2009, 05:35 PM
I found some at WHole Foods. about $20 a bottle though.
Dave is also going to have it available through Species very shortly!

found a local place that carries it!!
also grocery store here has mac nut butter

Tuna or Omega eggs for this guy...

Whats your guys' view on megadosing Omega-3?

dunno...i take my 3 all at once.

tjoe
02-18-2009, 06:56 PM
love omega 3 eggs, a staple in my diet.
mega dosing... haven't seen a need.

Skeptic
02-20-2009, 04:39 PM
I'm waiting about 6-8 weeks for the snow to go away. Dieting + housebound = divorce.

robert da strongman
02-20-2009, 06:03 PM
the anabolic diet... http://www.scribd.com/doc/2322951/The-Anabolic-Diet

a little different look.

robert da strongman
02-21-2009, 04:41 PM
when they dont get my cheat meal right....

http://blog.littlebritainonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/fat_kids_funny_caption.jpg

robert da strongman
02-24-2009, 04:26 PM
down to 244...up 1 from last week but i had a lot of carbs on sunday.

very happy with it!
going to adjust my sodium intake...a lot less

also this week no fat burners

robert da strongman
02-26-2009, 03:46 PM
242 today

feeling pretty damn good.
noticing the inability to get to bed at night.

Skeptic
02-26-2009, 04:05 PM
I'm waiting about 6-8 weeks for the snow to go away. Dieting + housebound = divorce.

Ahhhh screw it. I started on Monday and feel pretty good so far...

tjoe
02-26-2009, 04:08 PM
Ahhhh screw it. I started on Monday and feel pretty good so far...Haha!! Good luck bro!

robert da strongman
02-26-2009, 04:09 PM
Ahhhh screw it. I started on Monday and feel pretty good so far...

good luck!
its not so bad. i hardly crave carbs...

weightgain4000
03-02-2009, 01:05 AM
Starting second week tomorrow! I felt like crap through the first few days, but on Saturday(speed squats) I felt great and fast with my usual energy. I haven't checked my weight yet, I'll probably do that after the 2 weeks. 25 minutes of cardio since Thursday.

eschlick19
03-02-2009, 10:21 AM
side note - I forgot to mention that I followed a STRICT keto diet for 2.5 weeks BEFORE adding the carbs in preworkout! This is IMPORTANT! This step gets you deep into ketosis and burning fat. If you do NOT follow this step it is likely that it will take MUCH longer to get into ketosis (since you will be adding that small amount every time you train) and you WILL feel like SHIT!!

Stay STRICT for 2 weeks!! No pre workout carbs, NO cheat meal.
AFTER that, you can add in the pre workout waxi and incorporate the weekly cheat meal (which should be the last meal of the day, same day every week).

You were still able to get into ketosis with the one scoop of carbs pre-workout? congradulations on maintaining the strength and dropping the body weight.

eschlick19
03-02-2009, 10:24 AM
I would like to point out to those of you who have not tried Dave's diet that not all of you will feel like shit when you start the diet. I am dieting down for show and when I started Dave's diet I thought for sure that I would feel like shit because everybody on the boards said that is normal. But to my surprise I felt normal and adapted very well. Just wanted to share that because if there is anybody who is doesnt want to keto because they affraid they will feel bad, my advice is just try it, you might feel normal like I did.

robert da strongman
03-02-2009, 09:00 PM
i am craving beer and pizza

tjoe
03-03-2009, 03:58 PM
Mmmm... had that on Friday :)

robert da strongman
03-03-2009, 04:02 PM
Mmmm... had that on Friday :)

gaah!
think pizza is in my cheat meal saturday.

tjoe
03-03-2009, 07:42 PM
I feel like Britany Spears... "Ooops, I did it again"
Hamburg pizza and some Sam Adams Winter Lager...
bout 10 minutes ago :)

robert da strongman
03-03-2009, 10:01 PM
I feel like Britany Spears... "Ooops, I did it again"
Hamburg pizza and some Sam Adams Winter Lager...
bout 10 minutes ago :)

i hate you...

:D

Viking
03-04-2009, 12:35 AM
Rob you're gonna be a PRO this year, keep strong brother!

robert da strongman
03-04-2009, 12:05 PM
Rob you're gonna be a PRO this year, keep strong brother!

thanks man!
but i still want a beer...haha

Skeptic
03-05-2009, 09:49 AM
First cheat meal is today and is gonna be sushi.

tjoe
03-05-2009, 11:41 AM
First cheat meal is today and is gonna be sushi.Mmmmm!! Love it!

Viking
03-06-2009, 06:10 PM
thanks man!
but i still want a beer...haha

I have to wait until next year to turn due to strength and body weight, so im amped to see you turn...

will you remember us when youre famous and have all those sponsors?

robert da strongman
03-06-2009, 06:11 PM
I have to wait until next year to turn due to strength and body weight, so im amped to see you turn...

will you remember us when youre famous and have all those sponsors?

of course i need the little people to help me...fuck...lack ...of ....carbs

GameofInches
03-06-2009, 09:02 PM
I stopped my bodybuilding pursuits because I couldn't take the dieting anymore, that's why I went to strongman. I want to turn pro as a HW, no dieting for me.

robert da strongman
03-06-2009, 09:03 PM
I stopped my bodybuilding pursuits because I couldn't take the dieting anymore, that's why I went to strongman. I want to turn pro as a HW, no dieting for me.

make them chicken shakes

GameofInches
03-06-2009, 09:16 PM
haha I couldn't believe Derek said he would drink chicken shakes. I have a huge appetite so I like to eat my food (except for my protein drinks which taste amazing and I drink them just because they taste good...Scivation Whey, Vanila flavor).

I have been trying to get more beef in my diet because of its anabolic effects

robert da strongman
03-06-2009, 09:20 PM
haha I couldn't believe Derek said he would drink chicken shakes. I have a huge appetite so I like to eat my food (except for my protein drinks which taste amazing and I drink them just because they taste good...Scivation Whey, Vanila flavor).

I have been trying to get more beef in my diet because of its anabolic effects

yeah i go for more red meat
even if it is ground beef

GameofInches
03-06-2009, 09:22 PM
yeah i go for more red meat
even if it is ground beef

Yeah, I tend to go with the ground beef too. It's cheaper and easier.

robert da strongman
03-06-2009, 09:28 PM
chuck steaks are decent
cubed steak is good too.

robert da strongman
03-11-2009, 04:33 PM
alright...down to 239 today.
i must be getting used to it or its just a habit to eat this way now.

anyone feel extra warm while doing keto?

weightgain4000
03-13-2009, 02:31 AM
I'm going to have a first cheat meal this sunday. Is it possible to go overboard; I have big plans for it lol.

tjoe
03-13-2009, 08:37 AM
I'm going to have a first cheat meal this sunday. Is it possible to go overboard; I have big plans for it lol.DON'T go crazy! Eat what you want but Do NOT eat as if it were your last meal.

Not that I am on keto anymore but interesting anyways...
I added in carbs, upped the intensity of my cardio... down .8lbs. this morning :eek:
206.8 hmmmm.....

weightgain4000
03-13-2009, 06:40 PM
DON'T go crazy! Eat what you want but Do NOT eat as if it were your last meal.

LOL thanks a large dbl western combo from carl's jr, a large hot n ready from little caesars, and doritos were planned, but I guess I'l' keep it at the carl's jr.

robert da strongman
03-13-2009, 06:45 PM
go for the luther...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/44/Luther_Burger.jpg/800px-Luther_Burger.jpg

weightgain4000
03-13-2009, 07:24 PM
go for the luther...

Jesus, those are two of the most beautiful things I have ever seen.

robert da strongman
03-13-2009, 07:26 PM
think i am going to try it sunday

tjoe
03-13-2009, 09:41 PM
That Cherry Wheat I see??... Not my favorite.
Those things r HUGE!

robert da strongman
03-14-2009, 03:36 PM
straight up sammies...no funny flavored beer my preference

thinking those sandwiches are mighty tasty....

robert da strongman
03-25-2009, 05:04 PM
down to 238...
i really dont crave anything crazy anymore.
my cheats are more like snacks now.

tjoe
03-25-2009, 05:18 PM
atta boy!
7 pounds to go!!
April coming quick... hows the strength holdin up?

robert da strongman
03-25-2009, 05:20 PM
atta boy!
7 pounds to go!!
April coming quick... hows the strength holdin up?

not bad!
if i could have gotten the suit right i know i can pull the 600 easy.

there are some good lw's in the comp...:mad:
posted the list in the contest thread

jj125
03-30-2009, 05:58 PM
Good thread, curious TJoe or Robert when you take the waximaize before training while in ketosis, do you feel you are still getting stronger? I powerlift and love it , but I need to drop some fat and want to continue to get stronger. Thanks keep it up.

robert da strongman
03-30-2009, 06:13 PM
i dont use waxi...i was using just a weight gainer pre workout. i now have eliminated that also. strength is still there and getting better.

Skeptic
03-30-2009, 06:55 PM
Good thread, curious TJoe or Robert when you take the waximaize before training while in ketosis, do you feel you are still getting stronger? I powerlift and love it , but I need to drop some fat and want to continue to get stronger. Thanks keep it up.

Waxy maize would drive your body right out of ketosis. If you are using a carb load prior to a workout, you are not doing a keto diet.

robert da strongman
03-30-2009, 07:00 PM
Waxy maize would drive your body right out of ketosis. If you are using a carb load prior to a workout, you are not doing a keto diet.

30-40 grams wont do it.
recommnedation for that came from Dave.

you can also look at the metabolic diet by mauro dipasquale.....he recommends 30-50 g per day. and you still stay in ketosis.

Skeptic
03-30-2009, 08:20 PM
Agreed. But you have to remember that there are incidental carbs in your eggs etc. There isn't really any practical way to make a NO carb diet. And if you put carbs into the pre-workout prep, you probably have to lose the salad with meal 5. Beep.

robert da strongman
03-30-2009, 08:23 PM
try lifting stones, log presses, farmers walk with no carbs.
go back to tjoes first post...Dave recommended it.
we arent bodybuilders...this is specific to strongman training

Skeptic
03-30-2009, 08:56 PM
I am a douche bag. Beep.

robert da strongman
03-30-2009, 09:01 PM
wouldnt necessarily agree with you...

robert da strongman
04-03-2009, 04:55 PM
down to 233
2 weeks and 2 lbs to go.

no cheat this weekend or next.
hoping i can come in at 225.

tjoe
04-03-2009, 09:07 PM
Good thread, curious TJoe or Robert when you take the waximaize before training while in ketosis, do you feel you are still getting stronger? I powerlift and love it , but I need to drop some fat and want to continue to get stronger. Thanks keep it up.Yep. I am eating more carbs now but when I was doing just the pre-workout waxi my training was very good. What I have been doing recently is mixing 2 scoops of waxi (apx 60-70g) with 1 scoop of ON Whey (23ish grams) in about 1 liter of water and drinking that WHILE I train. So far it's great! The rest of the meals are basically meats or eggs. I do have a bagel in the morning BUT I only weigh about 210 and the weight limit for my next 2 shows is 231 so I don't neeed to worry about that.

tjoe
04-03-2009, 09:14 PM
Agreed. But you have to remember that there are incidental carbs in your eggs etc. There isn't really any practical way to make a NO carb diet. And if you put carbs into the pre-workout prep, you probably have to lose the salad with meal 5. Beep.No there are not. However the incedental carbs that Dave speaks of are found in the Natty PB, Nuts and green veggies. He also has stated many times that his diet is NOT NO carb but low carb.

On a side note, some people can stay in ketosis with as much as 100g per day, so it is very dependant upon the individual.

And as Robert said: I was the one who asked Dave a long time ago about his diet AND trying to stay strong for a Strongman comp. I told him I just wanted to keep (or even gain) strength while taking off a bit of extra weight. His response was to keep the diet exactly the same as listed EXCEPT pre workout. Pre workout shake should skip the PB and use 2 scoops of waxi instead for a fast acting source of energy for the intense training. He also stated that he would not be surprised if that amount of carbs was completely depleted during the training and a ketogenic state was maintained.

desibaba
04-03-2009, 11:19 PM
No there are not. However the incedental carbs that Dave speaks of are found in the Natty PB, Nuts and green veggies. He also has stated many times that his diet is NOT NO carb but low carb.

On a side note, some people can stay in ketosis with as much as 100g per day, so it is very dependant upon the individual.

And as Robert said: I was the one who asked Dave a long time ago about his diet AND trying to stay strong for a Strongman comp. I told him I just wanted to keep (or even gain) strength while taking off a bit of extra weight. His response was to keep the diet exactly the same as listed EXCEPT pre workout. Pre workout shake should skip the PB and use 2 scoops of waxi instead for a fast acting source of energy for the intense training. He also stated that he would not be surprised if that amount of carbs was completely depleted during the training and a ketogenic state was maintained.
Wouldnt it be almost impossible to stay on a true ZERO carb diet? even meat sources and whey protein have trace amounts of carbs in them so over a period of a day im sure they would add up to 30-40 grams of carbs even if you do not take in any direct carb sources.

Frosty
04-03-2009, 11:44 PM
No there are not.

Hate to be argumentative but yes, there are carbs in eggs:

6 large eggs contains 2.31g carbs according to the USDA nutritional database:

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

tjoe
04-04-2009, 08:44 AM
Hate to be argumentative but yes, there are carbs in eggs:

6 large eggs contains 2.31g carbs according to the USDA nutritional database:

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/Haha! Fine then. If you look at the label on the eggs it says 0. Based on your 2.31g per 6 Large eggs that means less than .5 per egg. Where as the PB I have has 6g carbs 2 fiber and 1 sugar. I would be more worried about the PB. You would need to eat 18 whole eggs to equal the same amount of carbs as 1 serving of PB.

Wouldnt it be almost impossible to stay on a true ZERO carb diet? even meat sources and whey protein have trace amounts of carbs in them so over a period of a day im sure they would add up to 30-40 grams of carbs even if you do not take in any direct carb sources.Yes, which is exactly why Dave has NEVER claimed his diet to be zero carb... that is pretty much impossible.

Ryan Bracewell
04-04-2009, 10:45 AM
down to 233
2 weeks and 2 lbs to go.

Rob, why come in any lower than 230? or are you just trying to play it safe? Wouldnt see weight as a huge issue since you can weigh in Friday and regain some of that weight before the comp.

Skeptic
04-04-2009, 11:01 AM
down to 233
2 weeks and 2 lbs to go.

Robert how tall are you?

Skeptic
04-04-2009, 11:03 AM
No there are not. However the incedental carbs that Dave speaks of are found in the Natty PB, Nuts and green veggies. He also has stated many times that his diet is NOT NO carb but low carb.

Yeah as I admitted earlier I was a douche bag for quoting Dave's DVD withoot re-reading the OP. Sorry.

robert da strongman
04-04-2009, 02:33 PM
Rob, why come in any lower than 230? or are you just trying to play it safe? Wouldnt see weight as a huge issue since you can weigh in Friday and regain some of that weight before the comp.

just playing it safe.
first time dropping weight so i dont want to screw it up.

Robert how tall are you?

5'9"

Skeptic
04-04-2009, 04:05 PM
5'9"

Oooooo. Wow. Pint sized fun. I'm just a hair over 6'2" which is a bit of a disadvantage for lifting but many Strongmen are tall bastards so I am optimistic. ;-)

robert da strongman
04-04-2009, 05:02 PM
yeah 6'2" is good

i make it up in insanity

desibaba
04-07-2009, 07:32 PM
whats the name of the guy who set the bench press record on a keto diet? i need some details about that because some idiot on sportbikes.net is fighting with me about why low carb diets make you WEAK lol

robert da strongman
04-07-2009, 07:37 PM
ryan kennely??
not sure...

robert da strongman
04-11-2009, 01:24 PM
made it to 231 today

6 more days...i am so tired of meat. i want pizza, pasta, bread, donuts and candy!!!

TheReverendMister
04-11-2009, 03:37 PM
My keto diet starts tomorrow. Im looking forward to it.

robert da strongman
04-12-2009, 11:24 AM
My keto diet starts tomorrow. Im looking forward to it.

i am surprised i enjoyed it.
how much weight do you plan to drop?

Skeptic
04-12-2009, 11:25 AM
made it to 231 today

6 more days...i am so tired of meat. i want pizza, pasta, bread, donuts and candy!!!

Is the weight class you are aiming for 225?

Skeptic
04-12-2009, 11:34 AM
I start a Keto cut down tomorrow too.

I have spent the last 4 months building what I refer to as my "strength base". I SQ 315 for reps, BP 225 for reps and DL 405 for triples.

My weight has gone from 308 to 288 and back up to 298. But while I have gained 10 lbs over the last 2 months I have lost 2" from my waistline. Hmmmmm.

I also tried Keto for 2 weeks to see how quickly I induce etc. It seems fine for me. No halitosis, just a slight metallic/fruity flavor in my mouth.

The ultimate goal is to weigh 250 and be able to lift SQ for 405, BP for 315 and DL at 500.

I will diet at least 12 weeks and try to maintain my strength where it is now. At the 12 week mark I will decide whether to take a break and then diet again in 6 months or keep the diet going until I get under 250.

I'm changing my workouts to be briefer but still intense as per Dave's DVD and increasing the amount of low intensity cardio now that all the fucking snow has fucking melted.

robert da strongman
04-12-2009, 11:45 AM
Is the weight class you are aiming for 225?

231 or 105kg

robert da strongman
04-12-2009, 11:46 AM
I start a Keto cut down tomorrow too.

I have spent the last 4 months building what I refer to as my "strength base". I SQ 315 for reps, BP 225 for reps and DL 405 for triples.

My weight has gone from 308 to 288 and back up to 298. But while I have gained 10 lbs over the last 2 months I have lost 2" from my waistline. Hmmmmm.

I also tried Keto for 2 weeks to see how quickly I induce etc. It seems fine for me. No halitosis, just a slight metallic/fruity flavor in my mouth.

The ultimate goal is to weigh 250 and be able to lift SQ for 405, BP for 315 and DL at 500.

I will diet at least 12 weeks and try to maintain my strength where it is now. At the 12 week mark I will decide whether to take a break and then diet again in 6 months or keep the diet going until I get under 250.

I'm changing my workouts to be briefer but still intense as per Dave's DVD and increasing the amount of low intensity cardio now that all the fucking snow has fucking melted.

looking good! the fruity taste means you are in keto.
now you must post a journal...

Skeptic
04-13-2009, 09:23 AM
now you must post a journal...

Are you serious? Would anyone find the minutiae of my training at all useful? Which section should I post in?

robert da strongman
04-13-2009, 04:06 PM
Are you serious? Would anyone find the minutiae of my training at all useful? Which section should I post in?

strength training

robert da strongman
04-25-2009, 03:17 PM
here i am contemplating keto again.
was 235 the other day...been eating everything in site...
i want to be under 231 for june but loaded when i compete.

Ryan Bracewell
04-25-2009, 03:28 PM
What do you mean by "loaded"? You talking about getting on gear or you just referring to carbing up before the show?

robert da strongman
04-25-2009, 03:42 PM
What do you mean by "loaded"? You talking about getting on gear or you just referring to carbing up before the show?

carbing up..what i failed to do properly last week