PDA

View Full Version : pre during and post workout shakes

62"diesel
04-11-2009, 08:44 PM
Alright guys i got a quick question, ive been lifting about 4 years, and i always just to a protein shake and some gatorade after a workout, but now with everything out,

when do you take amino acids, what should your pre workout shake consist of? protein and carbs or creatine arginine bcaa's and glutamine, or should those be taken during and after the work out, or as every new article for each supplement says taken it before and after a workout, or shold i just crush a shake with everything in it before and after? there are so many pre workout shakes and post workout shakes, but none of them have a full range of everything, you got you pre workout styles such as no explode, or you got the shotgun, wich has aminos'sim just kinda lost here with all of this

Koubs
04-11-2009, 10:27 PM
Everybody wants to find the "perfect protocol", but everybody is going to have their own personal opinion of what is "best"... If your nutrition is on point the rest of the day, the pre/post workout nutrition is just the icing on the cake... I like having a whole food meal about an hour and a half before my workout (2 hours at least for leg day...), which consists of chicken, almonds, and sometimes sweet potatoes (I cycle my carbs now with higher and lower days) Here's my opinion after that:

Pre-workout: I like having caffeine pre-workout... To me it's important to have something that gives me that energy kick... I go with No-xplode... It has some carbs, always gives me great energy, I get a more intense pump with it, and I never seem to have a bad workout when I take it... Some like a different product, but for me that's worked best.

Post-workout: There's a good thread in the supplement/nutrition section about this... I go with 60g of carbs (vitargo), 5g creatine, 10g BCAA's immediately after... Then 20 mins later I do 50g protein from a whey isolate.... Then 30-45 mins later I do a balanced, whole food meal...

62"diesel
04-12-2009, 01:57 AM
thank you i really appreciate it i have everything just trying to figure out when i should take it, ile give it a try

NTT91
04-12-2009, 09:51 AM
protein and carbs an hour and 20 minutes pre w/o, NO Shotgun 20 minutes pre w/0, purple wraath (aminos) intra workout, 1.5 scoops whey, 4 tbsp gatorade powder, 5 grams creatine immediatly pwo, and a whole food meal with protein, carbs, and fats an hour after the shake.

meatheadio
04-13-2009, 05:04 AM
Ideally the optimal way to do it is a shake pre,intra and post workout. More info on this can be found on Milos Sarcev's site. However the best combination is the one that you can be consistent with. It has to be practical. I work at the gym I train at so I have a big tug of Whey Isolate and Waxi Maize there and I have 40 gms of each pre and post workout. One is to 'load' the blood with the nutrients and the other is your traditional post workout shake.
This gives you all the glucose and aminos required for energy and recovery and is very easy, just throw a scoop of each in some water and down it.
It also helps to hydrate the muscles quite well. I have 400ml of water pre, intra and post workout which goes a long way to hydrating the muscle and facilitating a great pump, especially with the Whey and waxi maize.
A whole food meal of protein and carbs should also be eatin about an hour after your post workout shake. This will help to stabilze bloog glucose levels and level you out.
Best of luck.

Steve56
04-13-2009, 12:45 PM
Everybody wants to find the "perfect protocol", but everybody is going to have their own personal opinion of what is "best"... If your nutrition is on point the rest of the day, the pre/post workout nutrition is just the icing on the cake... I like having a whole food meal about an hour and a half before my workout (2 hours at least for leg day...), which consists of chicken, almonds, and sometimes sweet potatoes (I cycle my carbs now with higher and lower days) Here's my opinion after that:

Pre-workout: I like having caffeine pre-workout... To me it's important to have something that gives me that energy kick... I go with No-xplode... It has some carbs, always gives me great energy, I get a more intense pump with it, and I never seem to have a bad workout when I take it... Some like a different product, but for me that's worked best.

Post-workout: There's a good thread in the supplement/nutrition section about this... I go with 60g of carbs (vitargo), 5g creatine, 10g BCAA's immediately after... Then 20 mins later I do 50g protein from a whey isolate.... Then 30-45 mins later I do a balanced, whole food meal...

Yep thats basically what I do or at least something close to that

62"diesel
04-13-2009, 06:30 PM
Thanks for everything guys, preworkout so far what ive started doing is mixing a mrp with 2 cups coffee, it actually taste pretty good, dont ask why i decided to mix, ive mixed bcaa, and eaa with creatine monohydrate, to drink during , and after cardio i chug some more creatine, with orange juice, for the carbs and the acidic content supposedly helps creatine transport, then wait 20 min and take another mrp, haha its alot of fluid and im like 5'2 155 so it goes right thru me, but the pumps are great and all the replys are awesome,

whats the dif between bcaa and protein like the way they brake down?

mdvsony
04-13-2009, 07:52 PM
during workout i sip on bcaa's and directly afterwards i have a banana and protein shake. then 1 hr after have my whole food meal :)

It may not be as thought out as some post w. protocols but heck it worked for me. Made me put on some decent size.

thepump
04-13-2009, 07:59 PM
Before my workout I use nanovapor and after I use anabolic halo

meatheadio
04-14-2009, 03:45 AM
Thanks for everything guys, preworkout so far what ive started doing is mixing a mrp with 2 cups coffee, it actually taste pretty good, dont ask why i decided to mix, ive mixed bcaa, and eaa with creatine monohydrate, to drink during , and after cardio i chug some more creatine, with orange juice, for the carbs and the acidic content supposedly helps creatine transport, then wait 20 min and take another mrp, haha its alot of fluid and im like 5'2 155 so it goes right thru me, but the pumps are great and all the replys are awesome,

whats the dif between bcaa and protein like the way they brake down?

Protein is basically broken down into polypeptide chains,which are then broken down into aminos. Based on that having protein is just an indirect way of getting aminos, which is the reason we eat protein in the first place. Aminos are very expensice when compared with protein. I used to use BCAA's and they are good as they are abosrbed almost immediately as they require no digestion. But for about half the cost you can jus time your protien intake as required to yeild the same result.

Mr. Hyde
04-14-2009, 12:03 PM
I think people get a little to OCD with PWO. 10gBCAA before and 15-20g after w/creatine and some other amino. I really like my food so i try to eat all whole foods. 7g Leucine alone will put you in a anabolic state but its better to take all 3 because leucine will deplete isoleucine and valine after it is in the body.

I also think people go a little crazy with the Waxy Maize and dextrose, 40-50g tops, anything else is over kill. IMO

AB
04-16-2009, 09:05 PM
I agree with mr. hyde pre/post workout is way over thought. Before traning I have a whole food meal, some type of fatty protein oatmeal or brown rice. Post work out is 50g whey 4 scoops gatorade(52g carbs). One hour later whole food meal.

vboissiere
05-18-2009, 02:38 AM
I think Koubs said it best. the rest of teh day has to be right nutritionally.
I have a balanced meal about an hour prior to training.
Pre training I use Superpump 250, 1 Hot Rox extreme, 500mg Naicin, 1000mg vitamin c.
After my last set, I take 20g BCAA in water (love Chained Out). Tastes awesome and mixes well. I also take 10g of desicatted liver. I then proceed to cardio. An hour after the BCAA, I have 60g whey in water. I have a low carb high protein meal 90 minutes after that.

TheNatural
06-19-2009, 06:40 PM
Before my workout I use nanovapor and after I use anabolic halo

ive tried nanovapor (samples), it really gives you that rush but i always crashed after. even when i tried to forced myself to stay busy, i still passed out for like 2 hrs. i dont use muscletech products anymore, i think its overpriced crap. no offense.

for pre-workout i stick to coffee.
during i'll drink a powerade or eat a balance bar.
post-workout i drink a myoplex RTD or Optimum whey (the nitrocore is disgusting, i have tried Ultimate Chocolate and EXTREME Cookies n creme)

miamibodybuilder
05-14-2011, 07:50 AM
well me personally, i cannot do intra-workout shakes. and as for pre-workout i usually do a whole meal about an hour or so before i train which consists of lean protein and complex carbs, about 50g for me. post-workout is very important as well, i usually do one scoop immediately when i'm done training then rush home and about an hour later have another whole food meal that consists of again lean protein and close to 100-150g of carbs. and i usually do my aminos before and after training and if i'm in contest prep mode, during cardio i also pop some bcaa's