PDA

View Full Version : a stronger over head press

MadHatter67
04-04-2012, 06:28 PM
gents, im new to strongman...have one competition under my belt but have about 12 years experience lifting. i set a new pr for myself today on ohp with 275...i went for 295, made it about 3/4 of the way up but couldnt lock it out. any suggestions on how i can improve my lockout strength or anything i can do to improve this lift in general?

robert da strongman
04-04-2012, 08:41 PM
train the hell out of your tris for the lockout...close grip bench, rolling extensions, press lockouts

robert da strongman
04-04-2012, 08:52 PM
here is a great video, awesome technique by andy vincent

w5Ui5Hkp48g

MadHatter67
04-06-2012, 10:29 AM
thanks for the help, what are press lockouts?

robert da strongman
04-06-2012, 11:01 AM
thanks for the help, what are press lockouts?

No problem...

Lockouts are the last portion of the lift. The bar goes From eye level to lockout. Best to do these seated

Ryan Bracewell
04-06-2012, 11:02 AM
a lot of it will be technique. There are few genetically gifted people that will straight press 400lbs, so you will need to learn how to push jerk. if your not really familiar with P.Jerks I would recommend rotating heavy days where you go for a 1 rep max, and light(speed) days where you use 75-80% of your max for multiple sets of 1 rep.

MadHatter67
04-06-2012, 01:54 PM
No problem...

Lockouts are the last portion of the lift. The bar goes From eye level to lockout. Best to do these seated

i will definitley be adding these into my program.

ryan-thanks for the info...i already do something similar to what you are talking about and have made good gains with it. i will study some videos and make sure im using proper technique.

robert da strongman
04-07-2012, 07:23 AM
Hope they work for you. Keep us posted... Do you have a comp planed?

TXFatback
04-07-2012, 11:57 AM
If you have access to bands, you could do some overhead speed work. The bands are super stretched and you really have to learn to pop the top.

MadHatter67
04-08-2012, 12:28 PM
Hope they work for you. Keep us posted... Do you have a comp planed?

there are a few in the summer that im thinking of doing but havent decided yet. i did the old tyme strongman comp hosted by jakked hardcore gym back in february and that shit hooked me. the competition, the training....everything about the sport blew me away. by far the most fun ive had in my 13 years of weight training.

robert da strongman
04-08-2012, 12:36 PM
there are a few in the summer that im thinking of doing but havent decided yet. i did the old tyme strongman comp hosted by jakked hardcore gym back in february and that shit hooked me. the competition, the training....everything about the sport blew me away. by far the most fun ive had in my 13 years of weight training.

Good comps there... There are some in Indy and one in milwaukee. Wish I could make it up there

MadHatter67
04-08-2012, 02:49 PM
i live in NC so driving up there for comps isnt somthing i can do very often...i want to get more experience in strongman under my belt and then after a few years, see how i do at nationals. im qualified to compete this year but i would be in way over my head...may go just to watch tho.

robert da strongman
04-08-2012, 03:04 PM
There are a few in nc. New ben had a really good one. SC and virginia have a lot of comps.