PDA

View Full Version : Best Cardio

Herculet
04-12-2009, 09:05 AM
I'm curious to everyone's opinion on the best cardio to help lean out the glutes and hamstrings and of course the butt fold area :rolleyes:. I know that diet is a key factor.

tammyp
04-12-2009, 09:29 AM
Stepmill

Skeptic
04-12-2009, 09:57 AM
Mixing it up. The most underrated imo is walking. Outside in the fresh air. I like recumbent bike at a high cadence after squat day to loosen up the legs but I come from a cycling background so it's what I'm used to. I like those elliptical suckers too. I'd like to get one for my home but finding one that fits someone 6'2" and 275 lbs = commercial unit =big cash. :mad:

For me it's really key to keep the intensity low enough that I don't tax my recovery abilities. I'm 48 so you can probably be more aggressive than I can.

Herculet
04-12-2009, 09:59 AM
Stepmill

Gym doesn't have one.

Bennny
04-12-2009, 10:37 AM
Walking. If you walk for 45 min every day for a month you would be surprised at how well it tones your glutes and legs.

Herculet
04-12-2009, 10:41 AM
Walking. If you walk for 45 min every day for a month you would be surprised at how well it tones your glutes and legs.

At an incline? I have a show in 5 weeks. Trying to get every last bit of leg muscle to pop. . .

Suzanne
04-12-2009, 11:38 AM
The choice of cardio won't change where you lose the fat You will loose it it your genetically set order
ie for me midsection last for others legs last

BUT the type of cardio you choose can condition the muscle better for once the fat is off to have deeper lines/striations

BigJD69
04-13-2009, 03:26 AM
Boxing

Nitro Fueled Barbie/Mel Marx
04-29-2009, 02:23 PM
I'm with Tammy, the stepmill!!!!! My fiance recommends it to all his clients and makes sure that I do it.

The Big Sexy
04-29-2009, 02:26 PM
I love the stepmill - i Know a few women who don't like being couped up in the gym and run the stairs outside ... we have 3 giant flights of stairs outside with about 25 stairs per flight... I see them skipping steps and coming back down... etc. Seems to work pretty good for them.

sassy69
04-29-2009, 02:48 PM
At an incline? I have a show in 5 weeks. Trying to get every last bit of leg muscle to pop. . .

For competition I'd go w/ steep angle treadmil (e.g. all the way up) or stepmill - like noted - you need the fat loss, but the muscle conditioning from stepups / stepmill is great!

KBigz81
04-30-2009, 04:04 AM
I know in the off season I will be using the step mill to work on my glutes and hams which are my weak areas when getting lean. I don't believe in spot reducing but if you work on your weak area all year round it can make a huge difference when you cut.

stephaniewicked
04-30-2009, 10:05 AM
LOVE the stepmill!!! I have to keep my head down the whole time though so I can watch each step I'm taking because I have a tendency of clumsily tripping over my own feet... :cool:

Suzanne
04-30-2009, 10:48 AM
I have stepmill at home best decision ever! I multitask texting n stepmilling

Allifit
04-30-2009, 12:20 PM
I switch it up, especially pre contest to avoid boredom. I do the stepmill, crosstrainer (NOT to be confused with elliptical) and incline treadmill walks. I also get outdoors and do some track workouts if the weather allows.

Offseason I stick to the elliptical 3 times a week, 30-40 minutes each session. Occasionally I take a spin class.

~gymdiva~
04-30-2009, 12:25 PM
since you have no access to a stepmill a jacked up treadmill is the way to go...just remember, don't hang on AT ALL, and really lean into the walking like you're truly hiking...you can feel the stretch in your hammies and don't be scared to squeeze your glutes as you go...I also find that this brings out my hip flexors more than any other form of cardio...not sure why but eh, works for me! :)

btw, keep us updated on your show! :)