PDA

View Full Version : GameofInches' Road To Qualifying For The 2010 NAS Nationals

GameofInches
04-12-2009, 07:00 PM
I thought I would start a journal to track my progress and journey to qualifying for the 2010 NAS Nationals.

It has been about 10 months since I started training strongman and I think I have made decent gains. I am by no means genetically gifted in any way for strength or muscle gains so I am not breaking any records with my strenght, but I am trying to push myself as hard as I can to be the best that I can.

What I think I need to do in order to qualify for nationals is to take a nice long offseason and try to increase my strength and muscle mass until next January at the latest and then diet down til about May or so and then compete in the under 200lb class. My normal bodyweight is usually between 225-235lbs. My reason for dieting down is to compete as a LW in order to qualify for nationals. Usually at the gold or platinum shows there is a LW (under 200) class, a MW (200-231) class, and a HW class (+231). The LW and MW for a gold or plantinum shows are all considered LW at nationals. So I would rather diet down and compete with better conditioning and use the lighter weights that are used for under 200 which will give me a better chance at winning instead of trying to fight with the MW class.

My training split is as follows:

Tuesday: Back/Legs/Abs
Thursday: Shoulders/Tris/Chest
Saturday: Events/Abs

I will start posting my workouts this Tuesday.

Feel free to ask any questions and talk it up in my thread! Thanks guys!!

robert da strongman
04-12-2009, 07:07 PM
good stuff. good luck!

at nationals all lw classes use the same weights. look at the europa for a good example of where its going.
MW are usually 200-265.

get in a novice comp or silver early next year.

GameofInches
04-12-2009, 07:16 PM
good stuff. good luck!

at nationals all lw classes use the same weights. look at the europa for a good example of where its going.
MW are usually 200-265.

get in a novice comp or silver early next year.

Thanks man! I would do a comp before then, except there are never any really near me. I know I have a ways to go before I can be really competitive so that's why I think if I train hard for another year, then diet down and compete with the "little guys" I could do some damage (or at least enough to qualify for nationals) and then I can see how things are and maybe worry about being competitive at nationals the following year.

I know this all seems like a long ways away, but it is going to take a while until I get up there with the big boys. My ultimate goal is to win a pro card as a HW, so I am using all of these smaller goals as my stepping stone toward turning pro as a HW.

tjoe
04-12-2009, 07:20 PM
Love it.
Lets have some basic stats (as many as you can)
like: max bench, squat and dead.
heaviest stone
best overhead (strict or PP)
your height and body weight
stuff like that
also, where are you located? in case we hear of a show.

oh yeah... and Good Luck bro!

robert da strongman
04-12-2009, 07:22 PM
Thanks man! I would do a comp before then, except there are never any really near me. I know I have a ways to go before I can be really competitive so that's why I think if I train hard for another year, then diet down and compete with the "little guys" I could do some damage (or at least enough to qualify for nationals) and then I can see how things are and maybe worry about being competitive at nationals the following year.

I know this all seems like a long ways away, but it is going to take a while until I get up there with the big boys. My ultimate goal is to win a pro card as a HW, so I am using all of these smaller goals as my stepping stone toward turning pro as a HW.

if you want a HW card compete as a HW. or stay closer to 231.
and you will have to travel. platinum comps get you noticed and ranked.
like tjoe posted...stats

GameofInches
04-12-2009, 07:26 PM
Love it.
Lets have some basic stats (as many as you can)
like: max bench, squat and dead.
heaviest stone
best overhead (strict or PP)
your height and body weight
stuff like that
also, where are you located? in case we hear of a show.

oh yeah... and Good Luck bro!

Very good point Tjoe, I overlooked this!

My bench has always been bad. The most I have ever done was 250lbs bench. I don't really train it much, I train mostly close grip bench.

Squat: 405lbs but I am more concerned about using my squat more for reps in order to bring up my dead, etc.

Deadlift: 500lbs. (this is a focus of mine to bring up)

Push Press: 205lbs for 3 reps

Heaviest Stone: 275lbs for three singles

Tire Flips: 600lb tire for 3 sets of 5 flips

Farmer Walks: 220lbs (each hand) 3 sets of 100ft. (turn at 50ft)

Odd Object Carry: 240lb odd stone carry 75ft.

My height is 6ft and my weight is usually 225-230lbs. depending on how much I am eating.

I am also looking to increase my carbs b/c I get the best response with size and strength when I go with really high carbs. However, I need to hold off on that for another 4 weeks b/c I have some very important things coming up and I can't be bloated and swollen. :D

GameofInches
04-12-2009, 07:29 PM
if you want a HW card compete as a HW. or stay closer to 231.
and you will have to travel. platinum comps get you noticed and ranked.
like tjoe posted...stats

My thinking is that I have a long ways to go with increasing strength and size so I don't want to go much over 230lbs until I need to force my body weight up to get to the heavier weights. I thought if I could cut some body fat and increase strength then compete as a LW and have some fun/get some experience then I will make a slow climb to the big boy weight of 275+lbs. This is just my thoughts, but they are always changing so who knows what tomorrow brings

edit: I almost forgot, I am not strong enough yet to compete as a HW yet so I want to try and compete as a LW first and then once I get my strength up enough then I will enter HW

robert da strongman
04-12-2009, 07:37 PM
stay closer to 231 then...220...and lean out. then when you do go up a class you wont pile on a lot of fat.

how old are you? young enough and you will have a lot of years ahead to compete, grow and learn.

it takes commitment to do this. its not easy and has very little rewards.

tjoe
04-12-2009, 07:44 PM
with the available info I would say keep your weight where it is at the moment.
200 at 6ft is too light... especially if you already have a background in training.
your numbers look pretty good. training more for strength (1-3 reps or so for the most part) will not put on a ton of size anyway.
where are you located?

GameofInches
04-12-2009, 08:19 PM
stay closer to 231 then...220...and lean out. then when you do go up a class you wont pile on a lot of fat.

how old are you? young enough and you will have a lot of years ahead to compete, grow and learn.

it takes commitment to do this. its not easy and has very little rewards.

I just turned 23 last month. I certainly have many years ahead of me and I am willing to do what's necessary to achieve this, it will just take time.

with the available info I would say keep your weight where it is at the moment.
200 at 6ft is too light... especially if you already have a background in training.
your numbers look pretty good. training more for strength (1-3 reps or so for the most part) will not put on a ton of size anyway.
where are you located?

I live in NY. I live about 1.5 hrs away from where Derek trains in CT but I would like to get up there to train sometime. There are a couple comps in NY that are this yr but all of them are a decent drive from me so I have to see what happens over the next 4 weeks and see if I will be in the position to do any comps this yr

I have begun a new training routine(my own version of Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 routine) about 2 weeks ago and I think it is a nice mix that will help take my training to where I need it to go over the next year.

GameofInches
04-13-2009, 09:10 PM
I have back/legs/abs tomorrow afternoon. I am pretty pumped to train b/c I had a bad day of events this past Sat. I will post my training tomorrow night.

GameofInches
04-14-2009, 08:38 PM
I felt a little stiff today and I was not feeling a good as I would like with this training session, but this is what I did.

This is week 3 of Wendler's 5/3/1 so I will deload next week. My numbers were a little lower then normal because I am getting use to this routine.

Deadlifts: 405x5, 435x2(should have gotten 3 reps), 455x1(could have maybe pushed out another but I will live with this)

Squats: 275x10, 295x8, 315x6

BB Shrugs: 365 3x5

My Version Of GHR: 3 sets

BB Rows: 245 3x5

Hammer Curls: 60 3x5

Legs Spread sit ups: 45 3x15

Standing BB Side Bends: 135 3x5

*All Weights in Pounds.

Overall this was a decent day. I have a ton of shit on my mind so I am mentally not into my workouts and I was very stiff so it took me a while to warm up. Thursday will be my pressing day

thepump
04-14-2009, 08:40 PM
I felt a little stiff today and I was not feeling a good as I would like with this training session, but this is what I did.

This is week 3 of Wendler's 5/3/1 so I will deload next week. My numbers were a little lower then normal because I am getting use to this routine.

Deadlifts: 405x5, 435x2(should have gotten 3 reps), 455x1(could have maybe pushed out another but I will live with this)

Squats: 275x10, 295x8, 315x6

My Version Of GHR: 3 sets

BB Rows: 245 3x5

Hammer Curls: 60 3x5

Legs Spread sit ups: 45 3x15

Standing BB Side Bends: 135 3x5

*All Weights in Pounds.

Overall this was a decent day. I have a ton of shit on my mind so I am mentally not into my workouts and I was very stiff so it took me a while to warm up. Thursday will be my pressing day

Keep up the discipline, the results are worth it:popcorn:

GameofInches
04-14-2009, 08:48 PM
^^ Thanks man, I appreciate it! I am def never letting this go until I achieve what I have set out to do. It is only a matter of time before my dreams become a reality. "It is not about where you start, it is about where you finish"!

robert da strongman
04-14-2009, 10:41 PM
good training
get your head on when you get to the gym. forget everything else for that little bit.

GameofInches
04-15-2009, 08:48 PM
I know man, I am going to hit shoulders/tris/chest tomorrow

GameofInches
04-16-2009, 07:01 PM
Nothin special today with training.

Axel Press: Worked up to a 185 single

Light Bench Press

Close Grip Bench off a 2 board: 205 3x3

I def need to bring up my axel press. I am going to try and restructure my shoulder/tri day inorder to bring this up.

robert da strongman
04-16-2009, 07:05 PM
good work.

are you cleaning the axle or just pressing?
and whats your best with it?

GameofInches
04-16-2009, 07:11 PM
good work.

are you cleaning the axle or just pressing?
and whats your best with it?

I am continental cleaning the axel. That is my best 1 RM with the axel. I have not trained with an axel all that much. I usually use a BB, but I am going to try and focus on brining up the axel. It certainly is harder. I find the clean to be very hard and taxing which takes a lot away from the press...But that's the name of the game I guess.

robert da strongman
04-16-2009, 07:15 PM
well save the cleans for another day and concentrate on just the press

GameofInches
04-16-2009, 07:53 PM
well save the cleans for another day and concentrate on just the press

Yeah, I was thinking about doing that.

GameofInches
04-18-2009, 02:57 PM
I did some events today. Once again it was an off day for my training. I need to get through these next few weeks and then I can clear my head and increase my food intake and get my training on track.

Farmers: 220 75ft. with 3 turns.
50ft with 2 turns
75ft with no turns
50 ft.with no turns
Yoke: 500 for 50ft.

My lower back and hips were shot at this point. I was hoping to do more yoke and stones, but I had to call it a day with this. Oh well, shit happens

GameofInches
04-20-2009, 07:12 PM
I have decided I need to make some changes with my training routine and my mind set if I ever want to achieve my goal of turning Pro as a HW. I am not going to structure my routine so that I can train every event (tire flip, farmers, yoke, and stones) once a week, rather then every other week like I have been doing. I think the increased frequency will result in better gains. I think this should make for some nice needed improvements. And as far as my "in the gym lifts", I am only concerning myself with my Overhead Press and Deadlift b/c that is what strongman is about. No one cares how much you BB Row or Shrug.

I haven't decided if I will deload this week or not, I will see what tomorrow brings.

robert da strongman
04-20-2009, 07:16 PM
post up the split...

tjoe
04-20-2009, 08:14 PM
I have decided I need to make some changes with my training routine and my mind set if I ever want to achieve my goal of turning Pro as a HW. I am not going to structure my routine so that I can train every event (tire flip, farmers, yoke, and stones) once a week, rather then every other week like I have been doing. I think the increased frequency will result in better gains. I think this should make for some nice needed improvements. And as far as my "in the gym lifts", I am only concerning myself with my Overhead Press and Deadlift b/c that is what strongman is about. No one cares how much you BB Row or Shrug.

I haven't decided if I will deload this week or not, I will see what tomorrow brings.I do not agree with this part. Strongman training in general does not seem to result in much "mass". In the gym training is an important part of adding quality body weight. More body weight equals better leverage (in most cases) and more muscle to pack all that strength into. I would urge you to take that into consideration. If you want to be a HW pro... you DO NOT want to be a HW by a few pounds. You want to be a HEAVY heavy weight!

GameofInches
04-20-2009, 08:28 PM
post up the split...

I was thinking something like this.

Day 1:
Deadlifts (either regular or 18 in)
Squats (10, 8, 6 reps)
GHR
BB Rows
BB Shrugs
BB Curls
Abs

Day 2:
Axel Clean and Press or BB Clean and press (push press)
Strict Press with either axel or BB (opposite what I do with push press)
Close Grip Bench

Day 3:
Farmer Walks
Yoke
Tire Flips
Abs

My main concern is draining overtraining. I want to add stones into either Day 1 or Day 2. I was thinking I putting stones on day 1 and take BB Rows, Shrugs, and BB curls and put them on day 2 but I think it may be too much back and bi work on another day (not enough rest). My other option is to put stones on shoulder and tri day b/c I don't have too much to do that day. However, I once again have the concern of hitting bis and back too much with stones on another day. See my dilema?

I do not agree with this part. Strongman training in general does not seem to result in much "mass". In the gym training is an important part of adding quality body weight. More body weight equals better leverage (in most cases) and more muscle to pack all that strength into. I would urge you to take that into consideration. If you want to be a HW pro... you DO NOT want to be a HW by a few pounds. You want to be a HEAVY heavy weight!

I def agree with you on that and I have always subscribed to that theory, except I think there is a point of diminishing returns in the sense that I tend to get "beat up" pretty easily and over train. So I feel that I need to be careful with how much I stress that accessory lifts, specifically the BB Row, BB Shrugs, BB Curls, and GHR. Those are my accessory movements that I like for mass and strength, but I have to be careful not to run myself into the ground.

robert da strongman
04-20-2009, 08:36 PM
my opinion....

4 days

1--deads, box squats, GHR
2--farmers, yoke
3--overhead press, close grip bench, triceps
4--stones, tire

GameofInches
04-20-2009, 08:39 PM
my opinion....

4 days

1--deads, box squats, GHR
2--farmers, yoke
3--overhead press, close grip bench, triceps
4--stones, tire

Thats not a bad idea, I will have to think that over a little. I think a 4 day split might force me to train with not enough rest between somedays. I think I might be forced to just try out one split and see how it works and go from there.

Thanks for the help Rob!

robert da strongman
04-20-2009, 08:42 PM
Thats not a bad idea, I will have to think that over a little. I think a 4 day split might force me to train with not enough rest between somedays. I think I might be forced to just try out one split and see how it works and go from there.

Thanks for the help Rob!

gonna have to get used to little rest. did 5 events in 3 hours saturday....thats brutal

do 2 on 2 off

GameofInches
04-20-2009, 08:58 PM
gonna have to get used to little rest. did 5 events in 3 hours saturday....thats brutal

do 2 on 2 off

My only issue with 2 on 2 off is that day 1 is deads, squat, and GHR then on day 2 I have yoke and farmers. Those 2 days are all lower back, legs, and core. My body is going to be shot, so day 2 will sacrafice.

My current routine is basically the one I posted except I am adding in tire flips with farmers and yoke, instead of switching them every other week. I dont think that will be an issue. My main concern is where should I put stones. I am thinking i should put them with shoulders/tris. Or put them with back/legs and take BB Row, BB Curls, BB Shrugs and put them with shoulders/tris.

robert da strongman
04-20-2009, 09:03 PM
My only issue with 2 on 2 off is that day 1 is deads, squat, and GHR then on day 2 I have yoke and farmers. Those 2 days are all lower back, legs, and core. My body is going to be shot, so day 2 will sacrafice.

My current routine is basically the one I posted except I am adding in tire flips with farmers and yoke, instead of switching them every other week. I dont think that will be an issue. My main concern is where should I put stones. I am thinking i should put them with shoulders/tris. Or put them with back/legs and take BB Row, BB Curls, BB Shrugs and put them with shoulders/tris.

how will you make it thru a comp then?

europa events---yoke/keg carry, farmers, log, deadlift medley, stone over bar
central florida---yoke, farmers, log medley, tire/sled, stones

those are all lower back

GameofInches
04-21-2009, 07:38 AM
how will you make it thru a comp then?

europa events---yoke/keg carry, farmers, log, deadlift medley, stone over bar
central florida---yoke, farmers, log medley, tire/sled, stones

those are all lower back

Training and competition day are two totally different things. You have to be concerned with getting overtrained and having bad workouts as a result of poor programing. Contest day is totally different b/c you have to go all out and there is not the concern of overtraining. On contest day you have to do what you have to do, but in training you have to be smart and weigh the risk for the reward. This is my perspective on my training at least. I just know that I get easily beat up from training so I need to make sure I coordinate my workout so I have enough rest time.

I will try doing stones with my dead/squat day and take BB Rows and BB Curls and put them with shoulders/tris. I will see how that goes.

GameofInches
04-21-2009, 08:51 PM
I seemed more like myself with training today, def felt good.

18in Deadlifts: 365x5, 405 x2 for 2 sets (I am def weak at the exercise so I am going to focus on it more in order to make it a strength and hopefully bring up my deadlift overall)

Stones: 275lb stone 3 sets of 1.
Then just a couple more sets with my lighter stones to a little
taller box

Squats: I usually do regular squats for 10,8,6 but today I wasn't feeling it. So I only did box squats and worked up to 315x2. It was an wasy squat session

Pull Ups: BW 5,8,5

BB Curls: 95lbs 1x15, 115lbs 2x5

BB Side Bends: 135 3x5

Straight Wide-leg situps: 90lbs (on chest) 2x10

Overall this was a decent day for me. I will try to go heavier of 18in deads next time and hit squats for more reps. And try to bring up my stones too.

robert da strongman
04-21-2009, 09:01 PM
nice training

GameofInches
04-23-2009, 08:02 PM
Thanks man!

Today I did some Shoulders and Tris.

Push Press: Worked up to a set of 185x5. This was less then I should have done, but we will see what next week brings.

1 Board Close Grip Bench: Worked up to 225x3

DB Shoulder Press: 60lbs 3x5

Nothin special today

robert da strongman
04-23-2009, 08:02 PM
nice push press

GameofInches
04-24-2009, 04:48 PM
nice push press

Thanks man! But I need to get that up a lot, I am not happy with it

robert da strongman
04-24-2009, 04:49 PM
Thanks man! But I need to get that up a lot, I am not happy with it

where you failing at?

GameofInches
04-24-2009, 06:50 PM
where you failing at?

Well on strict presses I fail from my chin down, but my push press usually fails between chin and forehead range.

SUMO
04-24-2009, 06:55 PM
Well on strict presses I fail from my chin down, but my push press usually fails between chin and forehead range.
Have you tried changing up your grip on the presses? For the longest time, I just thought I was failing due to triceps strength (lack of) but it turned out that I just wasn't grabbing the bar at the right point (for me) to use all my triceps strength.
It's really hard to tell, especially over the internet, so I'm just throwing that out there.

robert da strongman
04-24-2009, 08:32 PM
odd spot...with push press that could be leg drive

tjoe
04-25-2009, 09:05 AM
Well on strict presses I fail from my chin down, but my push press usually fails between chin and forehead range.lacking shoulder strength. fix it like this:
1 - keep doing your normal overhead press (barbell, log, axle, whatever) this is your main move so it remains a staple.

2a - if your gym has a shoulder press machine with an adjustable seat USE it! set it up so when you start the motion your hands are shoulder hieght or a little LOWER and make sure you come down that far on every rep!
2b - if you don't have that type of machine, use DBs, seated. same thing... go as low as possible. The DBs should hit the side of your delts at the bottom (sometimes I had little bruises from this).

3 - another good "secondary" move would be presses on a smith machine. either very upright so you can go behind the head OR to the front with the seat angled back just enough for the bar to clear your face. If you go "behind", you want the bar to hit the top of the traps. This can be rough on the joint so I wouldn't recommend it for sets of less than 8 reps or so. Also wouldn't do it "all the time". If you go to the front, the bar should hit the top of your chest (under the chin for sure), however since the stress on the joint is much less in this position you could work up to heavy triples. DO NOT bounce them! Power the reps off the bottom.

4 - hammer out some front raises with either a bar or DBs. This will put a little extra volume into those front delts. I like to do them in front of a mirror and make sure each rep goes just "over" eye level. Make sure you are really squeezing them up there to the point where you could "almost" hold it up for a split second and control the negative.

Since this (overhead) is a weak point (and a main stay in strongman) I would suggest you dedicate a full day to it as listed above. AT the very least it should be first on whatever day you do it with your "other events" after the shoulder beating.

Anyway, that's what i would suggest.

robert da strongman
04-25-2009, 12:59 PM
like that tjoe!
front raises have helped me a ton. i do them on a cable machine.

GameofInches
04-25-2009, 03:56 PM
Have you tried changing up your grip on the presses? For the longest time, I just thought I was failing due to triceps strength (lack of) but it turned out that I just wasn't grabbing the bar at the right point (for me) to use all my triceps strength.
It's really hard to tell, especially over the internet, so I'm just throwing that out there.

That's a good point, I actually adjusted my grip slightly and it did make a difference. Thanks for input!

odd spot...with push press that could be leg drive

yeah I think you might be right. I sometimes don't get enough leg drive and fail but then other times I get more leg drive and make it. I will focus on that more.

lacking shoulder strength. fix it like this:
1 - keep doing your normal overhead press (barbell, log, axle, whatever) this is your main move so it remains a staple.

2a - if your gym has a shoulder press machine with an adjustable seat USE it! set it up so when you start the motion your hands are shoulder hieght or a little LOWER and make sure you come down that far on every rep!
2b - if you don't have that type of machine, use DBs, seated. same thing... go as low as possible. The DBs should hit the side of your delts at the bottom (sometimes I had little bruises from this).

3 - another good "secondary" move would be presses on a smith machine. either very upright so you can go behind the head OR to the front with the seat angled back just enough for the bar to clear your face. If you go "behind", you want the bar to hit the top of the traps. This can be rough on the joint so I wouldn't recommend it for sets of less than 8 reps or so. Also wouldn't do it "all the time". If you go to the front, the bar should hit the top of your chest (under the chin for sure), however since the stress on the joint is much less in this position you could work up to heavy triples. DO NOT bounce them! Power the reps off the bottom.

4 - hammer out some front raises with either a bar or DBs. This will put a little extra volume into those front delts. I like to do them in front of a mirror and make sure each rep goes just "over" eye level. Make sure you are really squeezing them up there to the point where you could "almost" hold it up for a split second and control the negative.

Since this (overhead) is a weak point (and a main stay in strongman) I would suggest you dedicate a full day to it as listed above. AT the very least it should be first on whatever day you do it with your "other events" after the shoulder beating.

Anyway, that's what i would suggest.

Thanks for the insightful post! I think what my main problem, is that I have only been doing push press work and no strict shoulder work like I use to. So I am going to sitck with the push press first b/c as you said, it is a staple in strongman. I then am going to go with the seated DB Press to focus on shoulder strength and development. I also read what Derek Poundstone said about how he brought up his shoulder press strength. I would add in more tricep extensions but my elbows hurt too much. I am prob going to buy some elbow sleeves so hopefully that will help and allow me to do more extension work.

GameofInches
04-25-2009, 03:59 PM
Farmer Walks: 200lbs (each hand) 50ft turn at 25ft
230lbs 100ft. turn at 50ft. (PR)
200lbs 100ft turn at 50ft

Yoke: 500lbs. 2 sets of 50ft. This is a PR for me and I tried a new hand placement with my hands on the top bar (like when squatting) and that significantly helped!

Tire Flips: 600lbs 2 sets of 5 flips

robert da strongman
04-25-2009, 05:03 PM
nice event work!

GameofInches
04-25-2009, 09:04 PM
Thanks man!

GameofInches
04-28-2009, 08:43 PM
Today's training was a little off today.

18in Deads: worked up to 435x2. I know that my lower back is weak in this rang of motion so I am trying to work on improving that. I think once I fix it and make it a strength I will see a good increase in overall strength.

Pull ups: BW+25lbs 3x3 (PR)

Stones: I used my lighter 2 stones and tried working on getting as much of an extension as I can and tried to use my arms more to pull the stone up closer to my face for more height. This is an area I need to work on.

A little biceps too

I didn't do abs today, b/c I didnt feel like it.

I am contimplating doing zercher sqauts and stay away from back squats for a few weeks b/c I think it has more of a carryover to strongman and may help me bring up my stones.

robert da strongman
04-28-2009, 09:23 PM
do zerchers from the bottom position about knee height

GameofInches
04-30-2009, 05:24 PM
I am a little beat up so I am going to deload from not until tuesday or thursday of next week. I have a lot of other shit going on with school/work that I need to focus on for now, I will get back to training sometime next week. I am also contimplating making some more adjustments to my training, but I need to think about it some more.

tjoe
04-30-2009, 07:14 PM
I am a little beat up so I am going to deload from not until tuesday or thursday of next week. I have a lot of other shit going on with school/work that I need to focus on for now, I will get back to training sometime next week. I am also contimplating making some more adjustments to my training, but I need to think about it some more.Such as?

GameofInches
05-02-2009, 03:04 PM
Such as?

I actually don't think I am going to make as many changes as I thought. I think my poor training as of late has been due to stress from life, rather then the weights.

GameofInches
05-02-2009, 03:07 PM
I was going to take some time off, but I was a little pissed from stressors of life. So I needed to relieve some stress.

Farmers: 200lbs each hand 100ft. with 1 turn
230lbs 100ft w/ 1 turn
200lbs 100ft w/ 1 turn

Yoke: 500lbs 50ft. I did 2 sets of these

Tire Flips: 600lbs. 1x6, 1x5, 1x4

Abs

I am satisfied with how training went today.

robert da strongman
05-02-2009, 03:16 PM
good stress relief

GameofInches
05-02-2009, 06:02 PM
good stress relief

That it is. Except the stress comes back when you are done training. I am hoping to really hit some big PRs in the next 4 months.

robert da strongman
05-02-2009, 06:32 PM
That it is. Except the stress comes back when you are done training. I am hoping to really hit some big PRs in the next 4 months.

but its how you act toward that stress after. always find heavy training helps me deal with the BS....only cuz i get the anger out and i can think clearly.

GameofInches
05-02-2009, 06:54 PM
but its how you act toward that stress after. always find heavy training helps me deal with the BS....only cuz i get the anger out and i can think clearly.

It certainly helps to releave the anger. I have learned a great deal of self restraint over the years and it certainly helps me to deal with the stress.

GameofInches
05-05-2009, 09:01 PM
Today wasn't a too bad of a workout overall.

18in Deadlifts: worked up to 455lbs 2x1 (PR)

Pull Ups: BW 1x5
BW+25 2x3
BW 1x5

Stones: My lightest stone felt light and my middle one felt normal but my 275 lb stone was heavy. I lapped it, but couldn't load it today.

Squats: worked up to 365lbs 2x2

Shrugs: 365 3x5

BB Curls: 95 1x5
115 1x5
135 1x5
Abs

Not too bad of a workout considering how fucked up things have been outside of the gym. Shoulder and Tris on Thur.

robert da strongman
05-05-2009, 09:03 PM
good training

gravity was high on the stones today

GameofInches
05-06-2009, 03:19 PM
good training

gravity was high on the stones today

IDK what is was exactly, but I hate when I miss a lift I have done before. Oh well, nothin to it but to get stronger

robert da strongman
05-06-2009, 03:21 PM
stones do that.
somedays they are easy some the lightest feels like lead

tjoe
05-06-2009, 04:20 PM
I know I have lacked my "pre-training routine" lately.
I used to train same time every day... had a little routine I went through... drink preworkout energy drink, flip through a mag, bs with training partner, then get to it. Now it's just kinda like "Oh, time to train" and my head isn't there yet.
I miss my routine.

GameofInches
05-06-2009, 08:06 PM
Tjoe,

I know what you mean. I am def a creature of habit and when my routine changes it messes me up

GameofInches
05-07-2009, 06:03 PM
Push Press: 185 1x3
205 1x1 ( have done this for sets of three before, so I know
my strength has gone down b/c its been down for weeks)
185 1x5

DB Shoulder Press: 60 3x8

Close bench: 225 3x2

Skull Crushers: light

I am going to focus on brining up my shoulder strength with the seated DB press and my tricep strength with close grips and tricep extensions. Hopefully that will help my push press.

tjoe
05-07-2009, 06:20 PM
try a combination of Z-Presses and push presses.
The Z-Press is great for building up raw shoulder power and working on your core stabilization.
Then the push press will help you hone in your technique and leg drive.

robert da strongman
05-07-2009, 06:30 PM
where was the press failing at?

GameofInches
05-07-2009, 08:42 PM
try a combination of Z-Presses and push presses.
The Z-Press is great for building up raw shoulder power and working on your core stabilization.
Then the push press will help you hone in your technique and leg drive.

Where should the bar be (ie. eye height, chin height, etc.) when starting the Z Press?

where was the press failing at?

Well, if sometimes fails at just below lockout (out the top of my head height) or sometimes it fails at about chin/nose height right after the push portion of the press. It fails in different places depending on how tired I am.

robert da strongman
05-07-2009, 08:45 PM
well more than likely it is your triceps. same spots i fail.

GameofInches
05-09-2009, 03:19 PM
well more than likely it is your triceps. same spots i fail.

I think you are def right with the tricep weakness, I also have very weak shoulders. I have never had a good bench or press in any which way. It certainly is a weakness I must destroy.

robert da strongman
05-09-2009, 03:21 PM
if you can press 2x a week one focus on the triceps the other pressing.
learn to push press...the legs make a lot of difference

GameofInches
05-09-2009, 03:26 PM
Well today was my scheduled event day, but I was feeling tired all morning and as soon as I got outside and gave 200lbs farmers a run, I realized my hips were sore, my grip was painful, and the weight felt like 800lbs on my spine. So I decided to call it a day with events. I think I am beat up today for a lot of reasons. One being that I had a very stressful weak, #2 was that I had a change in work schedule and I lost an extra hr of sleep each day, and I had a hard workout on Tue and a hard workout on Thur. which left me sore still today.

So I decided to try to push and pull my SUV. I have never done this before so it was a little harder then I thought but I did it 3 times each. It felt good, but I can clearly see my conditioning as a weak point in my training. I think that is contributing to me failing earlier then I should on a few things (specifically my stone loading for reps). I am going to make it a point to add cardio (pulling sleds and pushing cars) into my training at least once a week, preferably 2-3 times. I think that will def help me get better cardio wise, drop bf% and overtime it will help me get stronger.

GameofInches
05-09-2009, 03:27 PM
if you can press 2x a week one focus on the triceps the other pressing.
learn to push press...the legs make a lot of difference

I would love to do that. My problem is that there is not enough days in the week for me to spread my workouts apart in order to recover and not get burnt out. I need a lot of recooperation time to recover so it is hard for me to spread things out. It is starting to become a real issue so I am getting pissed with it so I am thinking about cutting out some accessory work in order to compinsate for it.

robert da strongman
05-09-2009, 03:34 PM
try 2 on and 2 off

keep it very simple and focus on the basics/events

GameofInches
05-09-2009, 03:46 PM
try 2 on and 2 off

keep it very simple and focus on the basics/events

I was actually thinking of doing that. However, if I do events (farmers, yoke, tire flips) on Sat then how should I spilt it up so I have one day for pressing and also get in Deads, Squats, and stones in over the course of the rest of the week?

robert da strongman
05-09-2009, 03:51 PM
here is what i do...

monday---legs

wednesday---push press and tris
thursday---back

saturday---events i only do 3-4

GameofInches
05-09-2009, 04:12 PM
here is what i do...

monday---legs

wednesday---push press and tris
thursday---back

saturday---events i only do 3-4

That split looks pretty decent. I was actually thinking of doing...

Tue: Deads, Squat, Stones

Thur: Push Press/Tris

Sat: Events

And then add in an extra day somewhere for accessory movements (BB Rows, BB Curls, BB Shrugs, etc)

That way I am not doing too much on each day and hopefully I will be able to do sled drags. but idk

robert da strongman
05-09-2009, 04:18 PM
do stones with events.

use the sled for cardio/recovery on off days

i break up my cardio on the other days with a few sets of biceps, abs, or delts

GameofInches
05-09-2009, 04:23 PM
do stones with events.

use the sled for cardio/recovery on off days

i break up my cardio on the other days with a few sets of biceps, abs, or delts

I think your right that if I do stones with events it would really clear up my issue. I will give this a try and see what happens. Thanks for the help/advice!

GameofInches
05-09-2009, 04:35 PM
I found this comp which is not too far from me and is in Sept. which would give me some time to prepare. But idk if I am strong enough for it and I have never done some of the events so I am not too sure.

http://www.nastrongmaninc.com/pdf/entries/HudsonValleyShowdown.pdf

Is the keg toss like the WSM one where is has to be tossed over head and over a cross bar? I would have to cut weight and make the under 200lb class in order to have a shot at being competitive. Which would not be too bad of an idea b/c it would force me to drop my excess BF% and then I can enter right into a nice offseason and try to put on some more mass and strength.

I am not too sure if I can do the yoke press b/c I have never done it and my overhead stuff is not good. The deadlift I could prob do, idk how much it will weigh. The keg toss I have no idea about. The keg I might be able to do, but I have never done it before. I would have to go buy a keg and fill it up to practice. And the stones would be a very hard challenge. I have only loaded a 275lb stone to a 44 in. box, its the best I have done.

What do you guys think?

GameofInches
05-09-2009, 05:24 PM
I feel like I have a good shot at doing well at this show. I think if I focus and bust my ass, I can place in my weight class. This thing has lit a fire under my ass and I am ready to go.

robert da strongman
05-09-2009, 05:36 PM
what do you weigh now?

keg toss isnt too hard...just learn how to extend through the throw

car deads use a lot of leg...find out if the handles are on the side

practice popping the stone high

SUMO
05-09-2009, 06:09 PM
What weight are you going to be competing at? A keg FULL weighs 160. A quarter of that is 40 pounds. With a little practice, that's definitely do-able. Deadlift weight on a small car will be between 600 and 700 pounds. All the sleds I've ever seen them use, though, are raised up to about mid-shin. The press was like 220 or 240. Hang some chains off the end of an olympic bar with the plates on the floor and just hammer it. Not exact, but pretty close to a Yoke Press.
I see no reason why you shouldn't do this. You never know who's going to show up, but you would definitely be highly competitive in this contest.

tjoe
05-09-2009, 06:11 PM
ya....
Do It!

GameofInches
05-09-2009, 07:15 PM
what do you weigh now?

keg toss isnt too hard...just learn how to extend through the throw

car deads use a lot of leg...find out if the handles are on the side

practice popping the stone high

I am not too sure what my weight is right now, but I estimate 225lbs. I certainly have some fat to lose too. I called the promoter and he will have weighins the night before so that will help and I can diet down as much as possible and always cut water if I need to. The handles are side handles and are at 14inches. I am going to try and buy a quarter keg to practice with. I have to focus on my stone loading, but I am hoping that I do well in the other events which will help me make up for my stones.

What weight are you going to be competing at? A keg FULL weighs 160. A quarter of that is 40 pounds. With a little practice, that's definitely do-able. Deadlift weight on a small car will be between 600 and 700 pounds. All the sleds I've ever seen them use, though, are raised up to about mid-shin. The press was like 220 or 240. Hang some chains off the end of an olympic bar with the plates on the floor and just hammer it. Not exact, but pretty close to a Yoke Press.
I see no reason why you shouldn't do this. You never know who's going to show up, but you would definitely be highly competitive in this contest.

I am going to try and cut weight to make the under 200lbs b/c that gives me my best shot at doing well. The promoter said he thinks the car feels like 500-550lbs in your hands. I have a yoke so I will use that to train for the yoke press. The chain idea is a great idea though, thanks! He said the yoke is going to be set at chest height and you can let the yoke sit on the ground or hold it off the ground at chest height. I will have to try and see what works best for me.

ya....
Do It!

Thanks for all the encouragement guys! I am feeling very confident that I can do well at this comp so I think I am going to go for it. I will modify my training routine in order to prepare for it. I am VERY excited to compete!

GameofInches
05-09-2009, 07:40 PM
I forgot to mention, he also said that there will be a 10ft gap between the starting place of the stones and the platform (like WSM) where you have to pick up the stone and run it to the platform. I think that is going to be very hard to do. But we shall see

GameofInches
05-10-2009, 09:37 AM
I called around last night for kegs and found a place that prob has some I can buy. I am going to pick them up tomorrow so I can train for the events for the comp. I am also begining to cut weight so I will put cardio in to lose fat and build my cardio up, and no more beer (which I only have once a month anyways). I am focused on destroying my class at this comp. I am going to bust my ass for this and if anyone beats me, its not b/c they out worked me. I know that on the day of the comp I will be able to "flip out" and take my intensity to another level..."Strongman is an external view of how pissed off I really am at the world". This under 200lb class is mine

tjoe
05-10-2009, 07:13 PM
for the yoke press...
try to set the bar as low as possible. the more you have dip under it, the more leg drive you will be able to use :) and drive that momentum THROUGH the bar!

Curt James
05-10-2009, 09:51 PM
I called around last night for kegs and found a place that prob has some I can buy. I am going to pick them up tomorrow so I can train for the events for the comp. I am also begining to cut weight so I will put cardio in to lose fat and build my cardio up, and no more beer (which I only have once a month anyways). I am focused on destroying my class at this comp. I am going to bust my ass for this and if anyone beats me, its not b/c they out worked me. I know that on the day of the comp I will be able to "flip out" and take my intensity to another level..."Strongman is an external view of how pissed off I really am at the world". This under 200lb class is mine

That's the attitude that will see you through! :beerbang:

GameofInches
05-11-2009, 06:54 PM
for the yoke press...
try to set the bar as low as possible. the more you have dip under it, the more leg drive you will be able to use :) and drive that momentum THROUGH the bar!

Yes, I think I need to do that. The yoke I have is not adjustable, and undortunatly it too high and I am not able to dip low enough. I will see about putting something down for me to stand on.

That's the attitude that will see you through! :beerbang:

Thanks man, I appreciate it!

GameofInches
05-11-2009, 07:07 PM
I changed my training routine and schedule into a 4 day split in order to prepare for this comp. Today I did shoulders and Tris.

Yoke Press: 135 3x8 (My yoke is not adjustable so I need to find something to stand on so I can get more leg bend). Yoke presses are def harder then the regular press.

Axel C&P: Clean once and press, 175 2x5

DB Shoulder Press: 60 2x10

CG Bench: 225 3x2
185 2x3 Fast Reps

Close Grip Push ups supersetted with Tricep Extensions.

GameofInches
05-11-2009, 08:26 PM
I also weighed myself just to see where I am at and how much I need to lose for this comp. I weighed about 223-225 this afternoon after four meals. I gotta make the under 200lb class for the comp. I should be able to do it by Sept 12

GameofInches
05-12-2009, 06:52 PM
Deads: Worked up to 455 for 3 reps (rep PR).

Farmer Handle Deads: 400 1x3, 460 1x3

Shrugs: 315 2x10

Squats: 315 3x3 (kept it a little lighter today b/c my back was pretty beat up from deads)

BB Rows: 225 1x5
275 2x3 (PR) then drop set to 225 for 5 reps

COC#2: 3 sets of singles
COC#1: 3 sets of 3

BB Curls: 115 3x8

Lying Legs spread sit ups: 25lbs beghind head 3x5
Lying Leg Raises: 3x8

Not too bad of a workout.

robert da strongman
05-12-2009, 06:54 PM
nice training

SUMO
05-12-2009, 07:18 PM
Deads: Worked up to 455 for 3 reps (rep PR).

Farmer Handle Deads: 400 1x3, 460 1x3

Shrugs: 315 2x10

Squats: 315 3x3 (kept it a little lighter today b/c my back was pretty beat up from deads)

BB Rows: 225 1x5
275 2x3 (PR) then drop set to 225 for 5 reps

COC#2: 3 sets of singles
COC#1: 3 sets of 3

BB Curls: 115 3x8

Lying Legs spread sit ups: 25lbs beghind head 3x5
Lying Leg Raises: 3x8

Not too bad of a workout.
Great deadlifting!

GameofInches
05-12-2009, 08:18 PM
nice training
Thanks!

Great deadlifting!

I appreciate that man, I have a long was to go but I will get there.

GameofInches
05-14-2009, 06:32 PM
Stones: My lightest stone I got to 58inches which is the highest I have ever gotten a stone to before.

I got my medium stone to 54in which is the highest I have ever gotten this stone. Today was a pretty good day for stones. I did them first in this workout, which def helped but I am progressing b/c I have a long way to go in order to be ready for my comp.

Keg Carry: This is the first time I have ever done these before so I was nervous how I would do. I did 5 runs of 40ft with a 250lb keg. I was pretty happy with how I did with it. Now I have to work on my time and my conditioning and I should be ok with this event for the comp.

That's all for today, events on Sat.

robert da strongman
05-14-2009, 06:38 PM
good stuff.

dont know how you carry the keg but the higher up you have it the better.

thepump
05-14-2009, 06:41 PM
Great progress and great updates on the thread. Keep kicken ass.

GameofInches
05-14-2009, 06:47 PM
good stuff.

dont know how you carry the keg but the higher up you have it the better.

Thanks! I hold the keg in front of me and the left side is perfectly fine, but the right side lays a little low and hits my hip flexer, thus slowing me down. I am going to work on holding it up higher so I can fly with it.

Great progress and great updates on the thread. Keep kicken ass.

Thanks man, I appreciate it!

I know I am not ready for the comp tomorrow, but on Sept. 12 I will be ready to explode on the weights.

robert da strongman
05-14-2009, 06:55 PM
Thanks! I hold the keg in front of me and the left side is perfectly fine, but the right side lays a little low and hits my hip flexer, thus slowing me down. I am going to work on holding it up higher so I can fly with it.

its all in the pickup. too many people pickup with it slanted. if you get it even you can clean it up high and walk freely.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3330/3182371950_4d40838896.jpg?v=0

GameofInches
05-14-2009, 08:41 PM
^^Thats very helpful, thanks! I was picking it up when it was leaning, but I will try picking it up more even next time and see how that works.

tjoe
05-15-2009, 08:31 AM
Rob, seems tricky to pick up even like that... you should take a vid and youtube it.

robert da strongman
05-15-2009, 09:32 AM
Rob, seems tricky to pick up even like that... you should take a vid and youtube it.

it is tricky. and the pickup is slower. but you can make up the time with footspeed.
gonna have to wait a week, no events till next saturday

smj091977
05-16-2009, 10:36 AM
Rob, I agree it seems a heck of a lot faster but if I need to carry for distance that doesn't work for me. I can't breath with it on my stomache. I end up with the tilt method so I can breath.

robert da strongman
05-16-2009, 03:40 PM
Rob, I agree it seems a heck of a lot faster but if I need to carry for distance that doesn't work for me. I can't breath with it on my stomache. I end up with the tilt method so I can breath.

clean iy up high on your chest. it will slide down. even though you are going for distance time is a factor.

GameofInches
05-16-2009, 06:57 PM
So my hip was bothering my yesterday but got a little better this morning and I was debating if I should train today or not. I decided to train b/c I thought it may actually help it or at the very least not make it too much worse. And besides, this is strongman, so you never feeling 100%. So I started events and my hip was feeling not too bad and I go to lift 230lb farmers for my first run with them and I feel a harsh pain in my lower back. I try carrying the farmers and at 50ft they slip out of my hands. And then I notice my back is really fucked up, so I call it a day. My back has been killing me ever since.

I am fuckn pissed that this happened b/c it is going to set back my training. I am at my biggest, strongest, and leanest ever and I get hurt. It just goes to show no matter how hard you train or what you do, you still can get hurt and you really aren't in control of your life. No matter what we like to think or tell ourselves. I took two hot showers and put bengay on (I need to get horse linemint) and that is helping slightly. I am trying to put heat on it and keep it limber so I can force blood in it to heal it up. BTW, my hip it totally fine now, fuckn figures. I hope I recover from this soon so it doesn't set my training back too much.

Sorry for the rant.

robert da strongman
05-16-2009, 07:00 PM
i hear ya on the back.
it sucks when you get going and then wham!

rest up and let it heal.

GameofInches
05-16-2009, 07:11 PM
i hear ya on the back.
it sucks when you get going and then wham!

rest up and let it heal.

Yeah, thanks man. Unfortunatly that's what I am going to have to do. I think I learned a little from this experience. I remember Derek saying that he hurt is back and his Dr.'s said he would never lift again but look where he is now, this is just a bump in the road (a bump that sucks ass, but still a bump that I will crush)

smj091977
05-17-2009, 08:45 AM
So my hip was bothering my yesterday but got a little better this morning and I was debating if I should train today or not. I decided to train b/c I thought it may actually help it or at the very least not make it too much worse. And besides, this is strongman, so you never feeling 100%. So I started events and my hip was feeling not too bad and I go to lift 230lb farmers for my first run with them and I feel a harsh pain in my lower back. I try carrying the farmers and at 50ft they slip out of my hands. And then I notice my back is really fucked up, so I call it a day. My back has been killing me ever since.

I am fuckn pissed that this happened b/c it is going to set back my training. I am at my biggest, strongest, and leanest ever and I get hurt. It just goes to show no matter how hard you train or what you do, you still can get hurt and you really aren't in control of your life. No matter what we like to think or tell ourselves. I took two hot showers and put bengay on (I need to get horse linemint) and that is helping slightly. I am trying to put heat on it and keep it limber so I can force blood in it to heal it up. BTW, my hip it totally fine now, fuckn figures. I hope I recover from this soon so it doesn't set my training back too much.

Sorry for the rant.

Ack! Stay away from heat for the first 48 hours! Increases the inflammation. Use Ice! It'll help with the pain too. Good luck with the recovery.

GameofInches
05-17-2009, 08:55 AM
Ack! Stay away from heat for the first 48 hours! Increases the inflammation. Use Ice! It'll help with the pain too. Good luck with the recovery.

I actually thought heat may be better b/c it would increase blood flow, thus helping recovery. You do make a good point though with the ice and inflamation. Thanks for the support man!

Just an update in general: The back is feeling a little better, less stiff, but def still hurts a lot and feels weak. I want to be able to do shoulders (all seated stuff with my belt on for extra support) on Thurs. and then events on Sat.

I am determined to get back to training and make more progress. I learned from this that I need to make sure I am not overtraining and to focus on my main goal of turning pro as a HW. I will do whatever it takes to accomplish it.

GameofInches
05-18-2009, 07:18 PM
So I went to the Dr. today b/c of my back. They took an x-ray and said that I either sprained my lower back or might have disk issues. I will find out the results tomorrow. Either way, I am not happy that my back is hurting and I can not train for who knows how long (until it feels better).

I feel emotionally and physicaly beat up. I have not had the the best 2-3 weeks of my life and I have been trying to keep a good outlook and stay positive, but my strongman training was the only thing that I had as a constant but now that my fate with that is up in the air, I am just feeling beat up and "defeated".

Sorry about my bitching. I will update the thread tomorrow with the results of my x-ray.

robert da strongman
05-18-2009, 07:45 PM
well hopefully its just a sprain.
rest...you have a long career ahead.

GameofInches
05-18-2009, 08:02 PM
well hopefully its just a sprain.
rest...you have a long career ahead.

Thanks man! I always try to remind myself that I have many more yrs ahead of me, but it is tough to see others "pull ahead" while you are trying to catch up. But hopefully one day the hardwork will pay off. I certainly hope it is just a sprain that will heal quick. I will keep everyone posted

robert da strongman
05-18-2009, 08:05 PM
patience...

GameofInches
05-19-2009, 03:22 PM
patience...
Never my strong point. My Dr. is suppose to call me after 5 today. My back is feeling a little better in some ways. I am not going to touch a weight until Sat. which will be a week and maybe I will try some arms and light shoulders (seated with my belt on). I am very afraid I will lose alot of strength if I take too much time off. Lets see what happens

tjoe
05-19-2009, 04:10 PM
Never my strong point. My Dr. is suppose to call me after 5 today. My back is feeling a little better in some ways. I am not going to touch a weight until Sat. which will be a week and maybe I will try some arms and light shoulders (seated with my belt on). I am very afraid I will lose alot of strength if I take too much time off. Lets see what happensFirst of all, sorry bout the injury bro! Nobody needs that!

About the heat - what the other post said! saty away early on. you need ice at that point!

Bold - I am no doctor, nor do I know the extent of your injury, however I do have something for you to think about. Doing you presses seated "may" be a bad idea. Think of it like this. You have a heavy load overhead, as you lower the weight to your shoulders and stop it all that pressure travels down your spine into a hard seat and down to a hard floor. The seat and the floor are NOT going to "give". Now look at the same scenario but standing. Instead of the hard seat, you now have your legs (way more powerful than shoulders) to act as giant "shock absorbers". As the weight comes down you dip a bit with the legs to decelerate the load and eventually stop it before pressing again. Yes the back has to stay "tighter" for stabilization purposes, but that is much different than force traveling down the spine and slamming into a solid seat rather than springy legs.

Just some food for thought bro.

GameofInches
05-19-2009, 05:34 PM
First of all, sorry bout the injury bro! Nobody needs that!

About the heat - what the other post said! saty away early on. you need ice at that point!

Bold - I am no doctor, nor do I know the extent of your injury, however I do have something for you to think about. Doing you presses seated "may" be a bad idea. Think of it like this. You have a heavy load overhead, as you lower the weight to your shoulders and stop it all that pressure travels down your spine into a hard seat and down to a hard floor. The seat and the floor are NOT going to "give". Now look at the same scenario but standing. Instead of the hard seat, you now have your legs (way more powerful than shoulders) to act as giant "shock absorbers". As the weight comes down you dip a bit with the legs to decelerate the load and eventually stop it before pressing again. Yes the back has to stay "tighter" for stabilization purposes, but that is much different than force traveling down the spine and slamming into a solid seat rather than springy legs.

Just some food for thought bro.

Thank you bro! I actually was thinking about the same thing with the seated shoulder press. Thats is the exact reason why I prefer to stay away from box squats (that's how I actually hurt my back in the first place several yrs. ago when I was in high school). I think I might go with what you suggested and do standing BB pressed (very light, but standing and strict form).

After my bitching post last night, I decided that I have two choices: 1. Give up on my strongman ambitions or 2. take this small injusry as a learning oppurtunity, make some changes, and come back stronger then ever and achieve what I have set out to achieve, no matter what.

And I am going with option 2!:beerbang:

robert da strongman
05-19-2009, 05:36 PM
option 2 is a good one.

GameofInches
05-19-2009, 08:12 PM
option 2 is a good one.

Thanks man! My back is def feeling better. I still get sharp pains sometimes when I move, but it has gradually gotten better over the past couple days. So hopefully it will continue to get better. I have continued to take 2 hot showers a day, put bengay on it multiple times a day, take advil on occassion, and I walked yesterday and today as a means of keeping fat gain down and to aid in rehab.

I order Blue Heat Horse Linemint from EliteFTS yesterday and that is scheduled to arrive tomorrow so I will start using that tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks for the support guys, and I will keep things updated in my thread

robert da strongman
05-19-2009, 08:23 PM
good plan you have going. if you can stretch.
i like the equi-block

GameofInches
05-24-2009, 07:03 PM
So on Friday I got back to doing some light training. I did axel presses with light weight and just went for reps. I wore my belt the whole time in order to give my back the extra support and I also did some light CG Bench.

Today:

Today was my first day getting back into training again and I used my belt much more then I normally do and I took thing at about 75% intensity in order to ease back into training.

Went for a short walk to warm up.
Deads: 405 3x3
Front Squats: (which I usually don't do, but did them b/c it was easier on my back) 185 3x5
Stones: 220lb to a medium platform. A bunch of singles
Pullups: BW 8,5,5
Shrugs: 225 3 sets of 10 (real light, but they were bothering my back a little, so I went light)
GHR: BW 2 sets of a bunch of reps
BB Curls: 95 (once again, very light) 3x10
Spread leg situps: BW 3x15
Went for a little longer walk to get some blood flow to the muscles PWO.

So I was happy to get back into training and I took it easy today in order to get my self back into training without messing my back up again. I am feeling pretty tight now but I am putting heat on my back and hips. Its good to be back!

robert da strongman
05-24-2009, 07:05 PM
good stuff. make sure you stretch too

GameofInches
05-24-2009, 08:03 PM
good stuff. make sure you stretch too

Thanks man. I forgot to mention it, but I did stretch and foam roll pre and post workout. I also used my Blue Heat Horse Linament before, during, and after my workout in order to keep things loose. Tomorrow I will go for another walk, stretch and foam roll.

GameofInches
05-31-2009, 09:46 AM
Today was the first time in 3 weeks that I really trained events. And it def. showed, b/c my strength was about at 50%.

Farmers:
230lbs. 3 trips of 50ft (I usually do 100ft. with a turn at 50)

Yoke:
2 50ft trips with 500lbs. (this was not too bad)

Tire:
600lbs. I only flipped it 3 times (I usually do 3 sets of 5). It felt like 1000lbs today.

I have lost some weight lately, so I think that contibuted to strength decrease. I think I am gonna put some weight back on and hold around 230-240 so that way I can always diet slightly to make it in the LW class. I want to get my strength up to a very competitive LW level in the next yr. and then I will stary my trek to the HWs.

robert da strongman
05-31-2009, 12:08 PM
respectable for being off.
always have time to comback...