PDA

View Full Version : Drug Effects ~ Why DID or DO you use?

Sistersteel
04-13-2009, 01:35 AM
Drugs that are abused are attractive because they can change how a person is feeling. That's why many people take them, whether they realize this or not. Drugs are usually taken to provide some feelings that are otherwise missing from the users life.

Different drugs act in different ways on people. Some drugs reduce anxiety, some provide (apparent) energy, some give self-confidence, some blot out all worries completely - for a while.

The bottom line is that DRUGS CAN SEEM TO PROVIDE GOOD FEELINGS (that's why people take them) - but they WON'T change any of the reasons why an individual was feeling bad, sad, lonely, scared, insecure etc. in the first place!

It's impossible for us to describe here exactly what a drug or alcohol abuser gets out of using his or her particular drug - it will be different for every person. For those who have never abused alcohol or drugs, it may be difficult to imagine why some people do so.

If you've never abused illicit drugs, you may nevertheless have tried alcohol at some time. Can you remember how a couple of glasses of sherry, or two or three pints of beer/lager made you feel?

http://www.recovery.org.uk/images/rd_star.gif Did you feel relaxed?
http://www.recovery.org.uk/images/rd_star.gif Did you feel more talkative than usual?
http://www.recovery.org.uk/images/rd_star.gif Did you feel more self-confident?

Well, basically that's the sort of good feelings that drugs other than alcohol can provide. They offer an artificial means of feeling good. Some are more powerful than others and they all work in different ways.
So this is what a drug abuser is often looking for. Something to make him or her feel good about him/herself; to relieve anxiety or insecurity, to provide self-confidence - and so on.

So why did you use?

LookImDancinCrazy!
05-24-2009, 03:01 AM
So why did you use?

I started smoking methamphetamine when I was 15 b/c it made me feel accepted by my peers. I was an ethnic girl in an all white suburban school. Been clean 8 years this November. Only thing that stopped my downward spiral was prison. I did time in Carswell women's federal in Tx. There was a really excellent NA group there, and I was able to really turn myself around.

Sistersteel
05-24-2009, 01:02 PM
I started smoking methamphetamine when I was 15 b/c it made me feel accepted by my peers. I was an ethnic girl in an all white suburban school. Been clean 8 years this November. Only thing that stopped my downward spiral was prison. I did time in Carswell women's federal in Tx. There was a really excellent NA group there, and I was able to really turn myself around.

I am very grateful that you would drop by and share your experience. I would love to hear more!

Keep coming back.

SS

Stavman
05-24-2009, 01:46 PM
I still use. I honestly think my drug use hasn't affected anything negatively in my life. I still get good grades and am holding a great job.

I just like to party with some weed, shrooms, acid and some X.

Sistersteel
05-24-2009, 01:54 PM
I still use. I honestly think my drug use hasn't affected anything negatively in my life. I still get good grades and am holding a great job.

I just like to party with some weed, shrooms, acid and some X.

There is not reason not to have good grades and hold a good job if you do not have a drug problem. The term "use" here is more reserved for people who self medicate and not those who use recreationally.

LookImDancinCrazy!
05-24-2009, 07:06 PM
Well I'd add that being aware of your gateway drugs is important. I've got the longest cleantime from meth in my group of about 15 attendees, and I think observing this issue is one of the reasons why. Even new members know about "changing the playground and the playmates", but legal, widely accepted drugs like caffeine or nicotine is something I address with the other meth addicts from time to time. Typically the progression is stronger and stronger coffee, then the caffeine drinks, and pills. And unfortunately I see nearly all NA members heavily smoking cigarettes, particularly meth addicts. All legal, but pushing your addiction buttons, taking you in the wrong direction.

It's SO easy to get on that slope and convince yourself that so-and-so is fine for you. Generally I'd say that if the legal drug is immediately attractive to you, whatever it is, stay away from it.

Sistersteel
05-25-2009, 03:00 AM
Well I'd add that being aware of your gateway drugs is important. I've got the longest cleantime from meth in my group of about 15 attendees, and I think observing this issue is one of the reasons why. Even new members know about "changing the playground and the playmates", but legal, widely accepted drugs like caffeine or nicotine is something I address with the other meth addicts from time to time. Typically the progression is stronger and stronger coffee, then the caffeine drinks, and pills. And unfortunately I see nearly all NA members heavily smoking cigarettes, particularly meth addicts. All legal, but pushing your addiction buttons, taking you in the wrong direction.

It's SO easy to get on that slope and convince yourself that so-and-so is fine for you. Generally I'd say that if the legal drug is immediately attractive to you, whatever it is, stay away from it.

I certainly commend you on your attitude.

What was rock bottom for you?

Roots
05-26-2009, 04:15 PM
I certainly commend you on your attitude.

What was rock bottom for you?

I think she said it was prison, correct?

Sistersteel
05-26-2009, 05:30 PM
I think she said it was prison, correct?

Yes, you are right. I overlooked that. Sincerest apologies for not paying better attention to that. I guess I was enthusiastic to see someone share and wanted to hear more of their experiences. Learning of other people's struggles and getting to live through their pain with them as they share is very therapeutic for me.

jo1
05-31-2009, 04:10 PM
it felt fucking good! when smoking crack,when i kept the smoke in for a while, and then the rush when i blow it out. WOW

mr intensity
05-31-2009, 05:02 PM
i do drugs once a month or so... i just don like alcohol i get voilent...
but when i do drugs i feel peaceful stress free...i usally get into the silent mode i don`t speak much...i feel like staying alone that time.... as for self confidence... i m a self confident person i just do drugs to rejevunate my self for the coming challenges of life... its more like a holiday trip....its not that i m unhappy with my life or anything of that sort its just that i use it to get a fresh start....
thank you

Sistersteel
05-31-2009, 05:37 PM
it felt fucking good! when smoking crack,when i kept the smoke in for a while, and then the rush when i blow it out. WOW

How insightful.

<~~StrengthByGod~~>
06-04-2009, 04:05 PM
SisterSteel,

I was always a recreational drug user...I went to raves and rolled on XTC all night, I would drop acid and eat mushrooms whenever I could...I was young and I thought I was expanding my mind.

It was meth that destroyed my life. I began because it felt like a full body orgasm when I was on it. My brain was going so fast and I was so friendly and energetic; sex was amazing...it all seemed great. Then the hobby turned into an addiction and the euphoria was long gone....the devil had turned off the sugar-coat switch because it was no longer needed...I was hooked. I spent a year or so smoking ice from evening to early morning, sometimes staying up a full week. It was hell on earth. Everything in my life fell apart and I lost all connections with most people.

Well....I changed the chemistry of my brain through all the lsd, xtc, and meth. Today, I require Effexor and Abilify just to function, plus I never did give up smoking dank kind bud. I self medicate myself with the good weed while the doc keeps me happy and mellow with the antidepressant and mood enhancer...

I first used drugs to go against the grain and feel good at the moment. I never thought about what they were doing to my life. The good thing is, I have turned myself around. I have a family now and I am finishing college.

Sistersteel
06-22-2009, 05:11 AM
SisterSteel,

I was always a recreational drug user...I went to raves and rolled on XTC all night, I would drop acid and eat mushrooms whenever I could...I was young and I thought I was expanding my mind.

It was meth that destroyed my life. I began because it felt like a full body orgasm when I was on it. My brain was going so fast and I was so friendly and energetic; sex was amazing...it all seemed great. Then the hobby turned into an addiction and the euphoria was long gone....the devil had turned off the sugar-coat switch because it was no longer needed...I was hooked. I spent a year or so smoking ice from evening to early morning, sometimes staying up a full week. It was hell on earth. Everything in my life fell apart and I lost all connections with most people.

Well....I changed the chemistry of my brain through all the lsd, xtc, and meth. Today, I require Effexor and Abilify just to function, plus I never did give up smoking dank kind bud. I self medicate myself with the good weed while the doc keeps me happy and mellow with the antidepressant and mood enhancer...

I first used drugs to go against the grain and feel good at the moment. I never thought about what they were doing to my life. The good thing is, I have turned myself around. I have a family now and I am finishing college.

I can't believe I missed this. So sorry. I know what meth can do to people and the damage is irreparable most of the time. Though you will have your cross to bare like the rest of us, at least you are alive and well and have turned your life around. Good things come to those who stay clean my friend. Keep coming back!

SS

cobra
06-25-2009, 11:55 AM
I used b/c I'm insecure as fuck apparantely, and drugs masked that for me. Eventually it quit workin though, and I used not to get high, but to feel 'normal'. Bein sick as fuck every morning is what helped me hit my bottom, Oxy's are a helluva drug.

dublin-lifter
06-25-2009, 05:21 PM
SisterSteel,

at least you got out alive man and i give you huge respect for turning your life around ive never had any addictions so i could never imagine how hard it must have been
keep up the good work

Sistersteel
06-25-2009, 10:23 PM
at least you got out alive man and i give you huge respect for turning your life around ive never had any addictions so i could never imagine how hard it must have been
keep up the good work

Thanks for dropping by to show support dublin :)

lilfella
06-26-2009, 01:41 AM
"that feeling".... Just thinking about it.... No words can describe.

dublin-lifter
06-27-2009, 07:41 AM
Thanks for dropping by to show support dublin :)

Yea no bother i think these sort of forums can be pretty important.The worst thing i ever had to give up was cigarettes so it wouldn't quiet the same as giving up smoking ice or alcohol or something like that,so i cant honestly say i know how hard it is or what anyone is going through.But if i feel i can add something positive to a thread then i will.