PDA

View Full Version : Do You have a Drug Problem?

Sistersteel
04-13-2009, 01:53 AM
By 'drug problem', we're talking about where a person has begun to lose control over the use of any drug. This may involve taking more of a drug than they used to, or taking a drug more frequently, or taking several different kinds of drug. This includes alcohol.

It's important to remember that you cannot know for certain whether or not a person has a drug or alcohol problem, as you are likely to be basing your opinion on your own perception of a situation. It's possible that an individual may be depressed or anxious about something - and this may cause you to think they have a drug problem. So it's best not to rush to any judgment - and it's certainly best not to take any action before expressing your concerns to the person involved. He or she may be very grateful to have someone to talk to.

The symptoms of problematic drug or alcohol use are much like the general indications of any level of drug use.

The type of signs that could indicate whether an individual has a drug problem are if he or she:

Denies or tries to hide his or her drinking or drug use.
Pretends to use less drugs or alcohol that he or she really does.
Tries to make excuses for his or her drug use or drinking.
Denies having a problem because he or she only uses beer, cannabis or some other supposedly "harmless" substance.
Uses more alcohol and/or other drugs than in the past.
Avoids talking about his or her drug use and behavior when intoxicated.
Minimizes the amount and frequency of problems related to drug use.
Forgets or denies things that happened when he or she was intoxicated.
Chooses friends who are heavy drinkers or drug users.
Often drinks and/or takes drugs to relax or forget about problems.
Behaves differently when intoxicated (perhaps louder or more aggressive than normal).
Has problems directly related to the use of alcohol or drugs, such as accidents, financial difficulties, absenteeism, frequent illness, difficulties with work, conflicts with family and friends etc.
Avoids social functions where alcohol and/or other drugs may not be available.
Seems to have a low self-image and uses alcohol or other drugs to feel better.

If you believe that an individual you know demonstrates some of these symptoms of problematic drug use - then you're right to be concerned about them. He or she may have other troubles as well. But drug or alcohol abuse won't solve those problems and may even make them worse.

R.I.P.
08-07-2009, 10:30 PM
i thought i had a drug problem when i was using. turns out i had a living problem and drugs was just a symptom of my disease of addiction.

Sistersteel
08-08-2009, 01:04 AM
i thought i had a drug problem when i was using. turns out i had a living problem and drugs was just a symptom of my disease of addiction.

Hi Tim! How is life treating you these days my friend?

R.I.P.
08-09-2009, 12:27 PM
Hi Tim! How is life treating you these days my friend?

Sister,i am blessed. 7 days to 17. i will have as much clean time as i did using.Just for Today.training hasn't been going on tho.take my drug test for my new company on monday. hope they don't find anything.lol.lol.