PDA

View Full Version : DO YoU EVER IGNORE A PARTICULAR BODYPART?

KZRSOIZE
04-13-2009, 07:20 AM
Alright guys I have a question with regards to ignoring certain body parts, of course if they are within your reason of being A)large enough for your body or B)too large for your body. I hope i making sense. Here is my question, i'm 510 225 or so 17%bf-/+been training for 10 plus years last 5 seriously with a possible contest in the future. I don't think we are ever completely pleased with our physiques so we continue to chase BIGGER.

Well i have a wide shoulder girdle and along with that a very wide back I have developed over the years. NOW, I truly believe my chest although not completely lagging, is not par up with my back. My chest used to look much nicer and larger without the wide lats(sounds funny like i just bolted them on and they were there overnight)I understand shoulder presses widen the shoulder girdle, are there exercises I should avoid while i bring my pecs up to par.

Have any of you ever had a body part which was probably growing really well and just placed it on the back-burner and focused on other lagging parts, in my case my pecs?

This week my intentions were to instead of a full on back work out, I would cut it back to maybe 2 excercises 8-10 sets, and start training chest twice a week. I mix up my chest workouts with plenty of incline and db flye movements.

Does anyone had any feedback or suggestions for this issue. My back has undoubtedly been my strongest point behind my shoulders, no doubt. My chest isn't very far behind but it just doesn't seem to grow as much. Im open to any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Frosty
04-13-2009, 11:30 AM
Good idea to maintain other parts while putting more work on lagging parts. Don't rely just on isolation movements to enhance chest, though.

If your shoulder health is good, you can bench with a wide grip to the clavicles or neck, which hits the chest hard. Dips with a pronated hand position and leaning forward will really trash the chest, especially the lower and "outer" area. Wide grip incline bench to the clavicles as well.

Then when you have compounds done you can do your isolation. DB flies with big stretch, incline DB flies with big stretch to hit more the mid to upper portion of the chest. Doing cable "flies" where the cable pulley is in the lowest position and bringing it from down to up together at around face level can really hit the triangular portion from the beginning of the clavicle at the sternum to the shoulder joint...and all the area of the chest covered within that area around the clavicle.

Decline flies and the Gironda dip will hit the lower and "outer" chest. No, there are technically no outer fibers of the chest, but there is a portion that goes directly down and attaches to the ribs and cartilage. When this portion is heavily hypertrophied through decline flies and gironda dips, when your arms are at your sides it will protrude out to the side giving the illusion of wider lower chest. This is something I clearly need to work on if you look at my avatar.

thepump
04-13-2009, 11:33 AM
Alright guys I have a question with regards to ignoring certain body parts, of course if they are within your reason of being A)large enough for your body or B)too large for your body. I hope i making sense. Here is my question, i'm 510 225 or so 17%bf-/+been training for 10 plus years last 5 seriously with a possible contest in the future. I don't think we are ever completely pleased with our physiques so we continue to chase BIGGER.

Well i have a wide shoulder girdle and along with that a very wide back I have developed over the years. NOW, I truly believe my chest although not completely lagging, is not par up with my back. My chest used to look much nicer and larger without the wide lats(sounds funny like i just bolted them on and they were there overnight)I understand shoulder presses widen the shoulder girdle, are there exercises I should avoid while i bring my pecs up to par.

Have any of you ever had a body part which was probably growing really well and just placed it on the back-burner and focused on other lagging parts, in my case my pecs?

This week my intentions were to instead of a full on back work out, I would cut it back to maybe 2 excercises 8-10 sets, and start training chest twice a week. I mix up my chest workouts with plenty of incline and db flye movements.

Does anyone had any feedback or suggestions for this issue. My back has undoubtedly been my strongest point behind my shoulders, no doubt. My chest isn't very far behind but it just doesn't seem to grow as much. Im open to any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Change will be the best tool. Keep Killing them and you will fix your issue.

ironwarrior22
04-13-2009, 02:35 PM
I also find that if I train my weakest body parts during the first part of the week it really helps build the area up. As A typical as it is I would train chest first day of the week, if you don't already.

Frosty
04-13-2009, 02:47 PM
I also find that if I train my weakest body parts during the first part of the week it really helps build the area up. As A typical as it is I would train chest first day of the week, if you don't already.

And at the beginning of the workout, too.

Diabetic Muscle
04-13-2009, 04:34 PM
There are actually two things I have taken out of my routines. Any front delt work is gone and so are shrugs. First due to a HUGE imbalance that was causing a rom issue. And my traps seem to grow if I watch other people do shrugs. I think what every has said is good. Priority training assess whether its the upper, lower, inner, or outer that needs the most work and work it first. It has worked well for me and I have a very weak chest.

ChunkyThunder
04-13-2009, 07:28 PM
I don't do any isolation work for my front delts because they overtake my chest (or lack thereof ) if I do. Presses do enough work to keep them in balance.

KZRSOIZE
04-15-2009, 08:32 AM
Thank you all very much for your input.

My chest workouts are constantly changing and i hit it from various degrees, but perhaps its growing but as they say we are our worst critiques.

Although this thread was about my lagging chest development, nobody really mentioned the second part of whether or not their well developed bodyparts are ignored to focus more on the lagging, maybe working them out with lower volume or every other week.

Frosty
04-15-2009, 09:52 AM
Thank you all very much for your input.

My chest workouts are constantly changing and i hit it from various degrees, but perhaps its growing but as they say we are our worst critiques.

Although this thread was about my lagging chest development, nobody really mentioned the second part of whether or not their well developed bodyparts are ignored to focus more on the lagging, maybe working them out with lower volume or every other week.

Nah man you want at least once a week with reduced volume to maintain. Reducing training volume on good areas will help allow you train the weak points to overcompensate. Further weak parts can handle more workload already...hell one method I love is blasting the shit out of the muscle twice a day for 3 days in a row then backing off completely from it for a few days.