PDA

View Full Version : Direct oblique work?

calpoly
04-25-2012, 04:02 AM
Does anyone directly work their obliques? I would think its not desirable when trying to keep the waist tight

masZUL
05-10-2012, 03:24 PM
I've read a lot of fitness models don't do oblique work because it takes away from the V shape.

swingslammer
05-10-2012, 06:57 PM
I wouldn't do it? I always say "Want a bigger chest? Use weight...want bigger biceps....use weight....DO YOU REALLY WANT A BIGGER WAIST?". Of course that is just my opinion but it makes perfect sense to me?

ianlauer
05-10-2012, 08:30 PM
Check out the latest article on OBLIQUE TRAINING!

http://www.rxmuscle.com/blogs/the-training-room-workouts-and-tips/5604-a-word-about-losing-the-love-handles.html?hitcount=0120284

Daniel Minarsky
05-11-2012, 07:39 AM
nice article

laubachm200
06-16-2012, 08:00 PM
That's complete bullshit. If you are a fitness model or anyone, training obliques does not make you thick. I go heavy and light ab days and i have no clue what my bodyfat is(obviously low, but no real clue).

Maybe if I took steroids and took the one that gives you the disgusting distended stomach (think UFC fighter chuck liddell[btw he's the effing man]), but I'm steroid free and don't take testosterone or that tribulus stuff.
I am not huge but I'm ripped because I do do obliques

KTTraining
06-16-2012, 11:09 PM
I've always done direct oblique work with twisting crunches ( light resistance 10 lbs to a quarter) for hundreds of reps when I was competing . Never dumbbell side bend or similar work however , as they never developed my obliques the way I was looking for . The side crunches did . Of course with heavy weight the obliques will respond like any other muscle and become thicker .. As a wrestler I now do tons of explosive twisting work , very heavy sand bags ect .. Power comes from the hips , Glutes and torso so you need to be strong . Heavy oblique work will make you stronger in many ways . Depending one your goals I would adjust accordingly .

bluetwistedsteel
06-16-2012, 11:17 PM
You're ripped because you do obliques? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. You're lean because you are skinny with some muscle and have genetics that resist fat gain. The fact that you do obliques has zero to do with how lean/ripped you are.

snigg
06-16-2012, 11:47 PM
That's complete bullshit. If you are a fitness model or anyone, training obliques does not make you thick. I go heavy and light ab days and i have no clue what my bodyfat is(obviously low, but no real clue).

Maybe if I took steroids and took the one that gives you the disgusting distended stomach (think UFC fighter chuck liddell[btw he's the effing man]), but I'm steroid free and don't take testosterone or that tribulus stuff.

you weigh 160lbs

Corey Hammac
06-23-2012, 10:52 PM
for physique id say dont train obliques as tiny waists are rewarded...and training the core will stimulate the sides some anyway. It also depends on how your body responds to side work...look at football player...ripped blocky waists. For physique id say avoid it. hell i wear a belt when i train back and legs. if i do ANY side work, my obliques explode and thats no bueno for this division! and i agree with you guys on the fact that-buddy you're a little guy that put on muscle, not a muscular guy that leaned out...what works for you will NOT work for everyone else. I think the CORRECT answer to this post is = figure out what works best for you!!

swingslammer
06-24-2012, 03:26 AM

You also need to take a picture from straight on to illustrate your point.....you would get wide from side to side.

Also as other have said.....you are not ripped because you train your obliques....your obliques look good because you are ripped. UNDERSTAND?

GottaGetLean
06-24-2012, 07:37 AM

"I'm ripped because I do obliques" lmao

Corey Hammac
06-26-2012, 11:53 PM
what sound do waves crashing on the beach make? lol