PDA

View Full Version : cortisone shots?

sizeon
04-13-2009, 07:00 PM
whats your opionin on cortisone shots for joint pain?

thepump
04-13-2009, 08:36 PM
:cool:Blocks pain but still masks it. If you're still hurting and doing things to make your injury worse you just don't feel it than it wears off and you will have to get another and another and than you become immune to it. Also, if you get too many, you will start to see a dimple in that area that could last up to a year or two (not very attractive) so than your even worse off doing all that damage and not feeling it.

Bryan Hildebrand
04-13-2009, 11:35 PM
blocks pain but stillmasks it? no.
cortisone works by REDUCING inflamation. inflamation is what is causing the pain. if the pain/inflamation can not be controlled by oral meds, ie; NSAID's, then a cortisone injection is a great option.

orhochris
04-22-2009, 04:36 PM
i've asked a couple of pt's i've worked with. they seemed to think cortizone shots were good when NOT used in joints. if it is used in a joint then it sits on the tendon,cartilage, stuff, etc. and can wear away over time that area. I'm paraphrazing. this is what they were saying in a round about way.

NOT in a joint they said was good for lots of things, but in joints it causes more problems than it solves.

BigJD69
04-22-2009, 04:40 PM
They work well for some and not for others.

Bryan Hildebrand
04-23-2009, 07:29 AM
the body absorbs it like anything else. the medium (oil) the drug is delivered by does not sit on or in the joint, it is absorbed. tell your PT's to stick to PT, not pharmacology.

TONYT82
04-27-2009, 11:35 AM
I got a shot in the shoulder about 2months ago,it was great for pain relief,the pain is back now...you just need to rest long enough after the shot so you get the benefit from ani-inflamatory properties

orhochris
04-27-2009, 03:55 PM
the body absorbs it like anything else. the medium (oil) the drug is delivered by does not sit on or in the joint, it is absorbed. tell your PT's to stick to PT, not pharmacology.

I didn't say it sits there forever... just that it sits there... which it does as it is a local injection until it is absorbed throughout the body. and it can lead to tendon ruptures and other problems. which is the main point of why they said not in joints...

just giving another view point.

BigJD69
04-27-2009, 03:59 PM
You should rehab the area that you got the shot in