PDA

View Full Version : The Pull-up

norway power
04-13-2009, 08:35 PM
How important is it to include pull-ups in your back workout. I have heard people say that it is the best way to get wide lats, and I have heard others say that pull-ups are not needed.

Where do you stand when it comes to pull-ups? And if you do like doing them, what is the best hand position?

thepump
04-13-2009, 08:44 PM
Overhand grip, wide arms. Dead lifts, are also great for all over.

Mike Marcano
04-13-2009, 11:46 PM
I think for the most basic and effective back workout all you would need are pull ups, deadlifts and barbell rows. A beginner could go far with a back workout like that. Pull ups are pretty damn effective and are a bit different than pull downs....BUT they can be awkward for those that are pretty heavy or who suffer from shoulder issues. So pull ups may not be for EVERYbody.

buster12
04-13-2009, 11:57 PM
I think the people who say pullups are not needed, usually can't do them...

Strikerrjones
04-14-2009, 12:07 AM
I have pullups in my back routine, but I can do close to 30 with my bodyweight. I compensate by going veeery slow and holding it at the top for a second or two. I'm thinking about getting a weight belt...

Anyway, I think they're pretty important. I took them out of my routine for about 6 months and I could definitely tell my back was progressing more when I put them back in.

jtexas
04-14-2009, 12:34 AM
Pullups. They do the body good.

Spauldo
04-14-2009, 01:23 AM
Back in the day when I was only 145 I could do a ton of pullups. Now that I am around 220. Damn if I can get more than 2 reps LOL

Frosty
04-14-2009, 01:46 AM
Always do pullups. I do weighted even when I'm over 230. If you can't do pullups you're weak, plain and simple. Your max chinup (bwt+weight) should be no less than 85% of your max close grip bench. Meaning if you close grip 315 and you weigh 200, you better be able to do at least one full chinup with at least 65 lbs extra.

Por2gue
04-14-2009, 02:55 AM
Always do pullups. I do weighted even when I'm over 230. If you can't do pullups you're weak, plain and simple. Your max chinup (bwt+weight) should be no less than 85% of your max close grip bench. Meaning if you close grip 315 and you weigh 200, you better be able to do at least one full chinup with at least 65 lbs extra.
So damn true!

Formula94
04-18-2009, 03:37 AM
I do pullups on back days and on shoulder days. 4 sets to failure, but I'm starting to get too many reps so I think its time to get a weight belt (need one for dips anyway).

chasebny
04-18-2009, 03:52 PM
Did them today, but with a different form than usual. I only brought my arms to about a 90 degree angle, probably 6 inches outside shoulders per arm. Kept my chest VERY high, and focused on rolling the scaps down, back and together. Great warm up. Hit those hard to reach areas that I end up pulling if im not careful.

Curt James
04-18-2009, 04:05 PM
Always do pullups. I do weighted even when I'm over 230. If you can't do pullups you're weak, plain and simple.

Btdt.

Pullups have always been a weakness, but negatives really helped me. Step up to the up position and then lower slowly. Eventually I could do three or four full pullups.

Here's an old YouTube of a whopping six reps. Really need to add those back into my routine.

x91NFUR_4i8

Envirolover
04-19-2009, 12:31 PM
I was extremely weak with pull ups when I started out but thanks to the assisted pull up machine at my gym I am not only doing them with no assistance but also weighted. I think part of my problem in the beginning was keeping my grip way too wide.

TPT
04-20-2009, 12:22 PM
How important is it to include pull-ups in your back workout. I have heard people say that it is the best way to get wide lats, and I have heard others say that pull-ups are not needed.

Where do you stand when it comes to pull-ups? And if you do like doing them, what is the best hand position?

the pull-up is the most effective exercise that targets the lats and teres.

SUMO
04-20-2009, 01:46 PM
At my size, it took me quite a while to be able to do a "correct" pull-up. And I'm still not exactly banging out sets of 20, but there isn't a doubt in my mind that pull-ups and deadlifts are the way to go.

ChunkyThunder
04-20-2009, 02:20 PM
At my best I could do 7 at 265 lbs but after several years of not lifting and only being back for a month I have to do them assisted, but I do them on back day and leg day. Soon enough I will be able to do them unassisted and then eventually weighted.

Pullups and barbell rows helped me build a strong back. I did deadlifts on and off usually once or twice a month. This time I will being doing them every other workout along with my pullups which will in every workout.

orhochris
04-22-2009, 04:27 PM
joel stubbs does several versions throughout his workouts...
but I can't remember ever hearing ronnie say he did them... So...

nor can i picture dorian doing pullups...

Cogrick2
04-26-2009, 10:32 AM
I have pullups in my back routine, but I can do close to 30 with my bodyweight. I compensate by going veeery slow and holding it at the top for a second or two. I'm thinking about getting a weight belt...

30 pull-ups... Amazing!

Frosty
04-26-2009, 11:17 AM
By the way, the grip varies what muscles are recruited. Chinups (supinated grip) tend to recruit the lower portion of the lats. Wider grips tend to recruit the outer fibers. Take a look at my profile pic with my lat spread...I did a ton of chinups, and you can see my lower lat development. However I haven't done a lot of work with wider grips, which is why my outer lats aren't as developed as my lower portion.

Pronated grips tend to recruit the brachialis, brachioradialis, and when using narrower grips, tends to recruit the posterior delt a lot more. Supinated grips will recruit the biceps brachii more.

Form is also key. Doing it with an arched back and pulling your sternum up to TOUCH the bar, and going all the way down allowing your shoulder blades to move up...that is a real complete rep. Always bring your sternum up to the bar, and hold there for a moment if you can. Learn to feel the right muscles being worked throughout the movement so you can target the proper muscles.

Use a variety of grips and widths to target all the different muscles and muscle portions. However if you can do pullups, I would look to target what's a weak grip. For example if you can do weighted chinups well, but you struggle to do proper wide grip pullups where you bring your sternum up to the bar and go down to full extension, then you really should work on bringing up your wide grip pullups.

Strikerrjones
04-26-2009, 01:00 PM
30 pull-ups... Amazing!

LOL, nah. I only weigh about 160 pounds.

"Rodz"
05-15-2009, 05:29 AM
They have been tough for me because of my left shoulder, but every back day, i try them, some days its only 3 sets of 2 or 3, but a couple of months ago it was barely 1 rep. Its all practice and persistance!