PDA

View Full Version : Skeptic's Phase Two Journal

Skeptic
04-14-2009, 09:33 AM
This thread is my journal for "Phase Two" of my attempts to get back into some semblance of shape.

To outline the plan:

Phase One: build a strength base.
Phase Two: maintain that strength and lose body fat.
Phase Three: maintain that body weight and gain strength to reach final goal.

Phase One is complete and provides the baseline stats for entry into Phase Two:

Weight 298 at a height of just a shade over 6'2"
Caliper body fat 29%
Squats 315x10 1RM never measured
Bench 225x10 1RM 275 but that was a while ago.
Deadlift 405x3 1RM 425
Shoulder Press 105x5 but this has not been trained really.

Phase Two goal weight is 250. Thats a lot of weight to lose! I may just stick to the diet and lose it all, or I may go 12 weeks, take a break and do a "Phase Two B" in 6 months. I have chosen Dave's keto diet as my weapon of choice.

Playing with numbers, if I can maintain a lean body mass of approximately 205 and get down to 250, that will be 18% body fat. Not a bad interim goal. Then in Phase Three I can drop more body fat as I build muscle over the long haul.

The ultimate goal of Phase Three is:

250 body weight.
405 squat
315 bench
500 deadlift
225 shoulder press

Skeptic
04-14-2009, 09:42 AM
I have timed it so that my keto induction week which starts today lands on a recovery week and when the snow has finally melted so I can go for walks outside.

I was a full blown couch potato for the last 3 years, and I have made incredible gains in muscle mass and strength in the last 4 months. Especially considering that I'm 48 and natural (I am not ideologically opposed to gear, I just don't think it's a smart idea for me).

I schedule 5 weeks lifting followed by 1 week recovery. When I lift, it's a pretty balls out affair, but always with a HUGE warm-up and pretty strict form.

But for the last 3 days I've felt like total shit. Like I have mono or I forgot my thyroid meds. Maybe going from couch potato to athlete as fast as i did will require a bit more rest. I'll see how I feel later in the week.

75 mins cardio. Walking outside in the sun.

GirlyMuscle
04-14-2009, 10:10 AM
I'm gonna be excited to follow this thread. Have you done keto before? Do you like it? I;ve done it before but around week 16 I started to stray. I'll be doing it again starting May 30th and I've adopted Suzanne Germano (posts here as Suzanne) attitude. She simply does not cheat on her plans. There's not discussion, no thought, just don't cheat. Period.

When I start Keto I've decided I will start it on my days off of work and I'll probably not lift for the first 3-4 days. I will also sleep alot. I need a strong start. Get into ketosis as fast as I can and stay there. I think my cheat meals will be every two weeks in the beginning just because it makes it easier if I stay in ketosis. Once I get the routine back down I may change that but still I think I'm going to do the cheat every 10 days instead of once a week.

Skeptic
04-14-2009, 10:18 AM
I did do an experiment for 2 weeks. I get into keto in about 3 days. Mood is good, energy good, endurance not great. You can't have everything. My training will be briefer but still intense. I'm guessing 3 working sets instead of 5. I will have to see.

I think calling it a "cheat" meal is a misnomer: it is medically necessary to create a weekly insulin spike that keeps the T4-T3 conversion process running. I do not intend to have ANY cheat meals. I intend to have scrupulously planned carb = insulin meals.

GirlyMuscle
04-14-2009, 10:27 AM
Cheat, splurge, whatever it is. When I did keto mine was every Saturday night. If I was perfect on the diet I'd hit ketosis about Tuesday night or Wednesday morning. Then I;d only be in ketosis for four days before I had a carb meal and threw myself out of it. I just want a longer ketosis state. So that's why i'm thinking every 10 days to every other week.

Skeptic
04-14-2009, 12:11 PM
295 lbs today. Musta been a bigger dump than I thought.

Still feel like dirt. Went to the gym and did 30 minutes of light lifting just to get some blood moving. 75 minutes of cardio. Maybe it will make me feel better tomorrow. Gonna take a nap.

Did some Benches at 225 no sweat. 225 was always the Holy Grail of the bench for me. All my life in every gym, it seems to be what the bigger guys lift. Fuck it. I just need to keep lifting 225 regularly like it's no biggie and my brain will re-program so that I can move on to 315. There a only 2 guys who regularly bench 315 without an absurd amount of "spotting".

GirlyMuscle
04-14-2009, 12:15 PM
I know what you mean. 135 was my Holy Grail. I can do that now for 8-10 reps so I might have to reset my Holy Grail. Problem is I don't bench without a trusted spotter so I don't bench often.

GameofInches
04-14-2009, 08:47 PM
This is going to be good man! I will def follow this log. I think the keto diet is something that would work nice for what you are trying to do. Just don't lower the caloried too low and use the weight training and cardio to cut the fat. You are well on your way!

tjoe
04-14-2009, 09:10 PM
I would like to see a diet outline.
Make sure that your heealthy fats are adequate... it's one of the biggest mistakes I see when people go "keto".
Good Luck bro!

robert da strongman
04-14-2009, 10:40 PM
good luck!

Skeptic
04-15-2009, 07:23 AM
I would like to see a diet outline.
Make sure that your heealthy fats are adequate... it's one of the biggest mistakes I see when people go "keto".
Good Luck bro!

The diet is exactly as Dave recommends, no subs at all. Peanut butter, almond butter, I even found macadamia nut butter. Extra virgin olive oil. Omega 3 eggs. You get the idea. I have Dave's DVD and I have read his entire Q&A.

tjoe
04-15-2009, 12:35 PM
That's what I like to hear!

Good Luck man!

robert da strongman
04-15-2009, 03:59 PM
love mac nut butter

Skeptic
04-15-2009, 04:37 PM
292 lbs. A six pound drop in 2 days, eh? I never would have guessed I was carrying that much water.

30 mins walking and 30 mins recumbent bike. Sweat like a pig which felt pretty good. Took another nap. Gradually starting to feel better. Funny taste in mouth comes and goes = almost in keto. Fresh salmon tonight. Woo hoo!

Skeptic
04-16-2009, 10:26 PM
290 lbs. 8 lb drop in 4 days. 60 mins cardio. In keto now.

tjoe
04-17-2009, 08:40 AM
keto is kinda cool cause once the weight loss slows down it typically means that all the water is gone. The water goes because you're burning off whatever glycogen you have. So after that point pretty much everything you lose (even if it's a lower number) is pure fat. Not that you guys didn't know that... I was just thinking through my keyboard :)

GirlyMuscle
04-17-2009, 08:46 AM
:wavey:

Just wanted to say hi and show my support.

I'm getting antsy to start dieting. Five more weeks of bulking....

Skeptic
04-17-2009, 01:05 PM
289 lbs. Sleeping well. Still a little tired. Taking naps in the afternoon. No decision on next week yet.

Light gym day to stretch out. SQ: 275x12 experimenting with bar low. Need to rosin T shirt. No chalk allowed at my gym. One rep felt completely in the groove like a golf swing. Ed Coan rules. LP: 12xstack. LC 12xstack. BP: 225x11 PR. No spotter so stopped safely. SP: 95x6. Fuck my shoulders are weak. Machine Bis and Tris. 45 mins cardio.

We'll see if this wakes me up tomorrow.

Skeptic
04-18-2009, 01:33 PM
288 lbs. Didn't sleep as well. 45 mins cardio and 15 mins abs, grip and squats with just the bar on my back working on stretching the hip area and shoulders to get the bar lower. Had fresh Pickerel and cashews for lunch. "That piece of fish was good enough for Jehovah!".

Skeptic
04-19-2009, 03:21 PM
288 lbs. Feel like total shit today. Too risky to head back into the gym. Another week of rest is in order. 30 mins cardio.