PDA

View Full Version : Cardio the morning after..

HeavyDutyGuy
04-15-2009, 03:31 AM
For those Masters atheletes who are doing morning cardio to cut up, if you train in the evening, do you do cardio the morning after leg days. I did my first morning session (had been doing PM) and it just happened to be the morning after a tough leg w/o (aren't they all?). I was feeling tired and drained all day, and generally felt like chit. (Also doing keto diet). Do you skip, or do it anyway? How is your recovery?

sassy69
04-15-2009, 03:49 AM
When I get into the part of prep that requires regular cardio, its 2 hrs/day - AM & PM after training. I have no other time in my day to do it, so regardless of training, there's the cardio. It takes time to get conditioned for that much cardio. I don't do much in the way of HIIT because my knees don't like it, so its a lot of time spent on the treadmill or stepmill. These is going towards tightening up the caboose / hams as well as cardio so anything less is a waste of my time.

It depends on how much cardio you need and for prep, you do whatever it takes. My mantra is you either do it or don't bother. "Do it, or don't". There will always be someone at the show who did it when you decided you didn't need to. So, I just suck it up and work thru it. I do find that, esp as I get older, the activity is more of what is important to help work thru stiffness.

Dom
04-15-2009, 11:26 AM
I agree with Sassy 100%. Do it. Some one else is, and or did do it when you did not. Everyone is different , but it would drive me crazy at this point not to do cardio. I will do cardio after legs , I will do it every day! I feel do the work now because when it is time for me to step up I know I have done all I could to be the best I can be.

HeavyDutyGuy
04-15-2009, 12:48 PM
Just for the record, I agree with what you're both saying, I just had heard some people don't do cardio on leg days and/or the day after. I'm actually increasing my cardio a little this week. PS Feeling better this morning, more recovered (probably was more drained from the leg workout the night before). I'm doing cardio today, but probably after workout- that's my next addition after cardio on off days exceeds 45 minutes. What pattern do you all use?

esplendido
04-15-2009, 02:29 PM
I split mine between first thing in the morning and again after my evening workout, 6 days a week during contest prep.

HeavyDutyGuy
04-15-2009, 02:40 PM
I split mine between first thing in the morning and again after my evening workout, 6 days a week during contest prep.

Rick, how far out do you start? How many minutes each session?

esplendido
04-15-2009, 03:25 PM
Rick, how far out do you start? How many minutes each session?

I start at 16 weeks out, 30 minutes/day the first week and add 10 minutes each week until I hit 180 minutes (3 hours) the last few weeks. I start splitting the cardio when I reach 60 minutes, even though I can do the 60 minutes in one session. That way I spike my metabolism twice a day for a more level burn rate.

sassy69
04-16-2009, 01:17 AM
Just for the record, I agree with what you're both saying, I just had heard some people don't do cardio on leg days and/or the day after. I'm actually increasing my cardio a little this week. PS Feeling better this morning, more recovered (probably was more drained from the leg workout the night before). I'm doing cardio today, but probably after workout- that's my next addition after cardio on off days exceeds 45 minutes. What pattern do you all use?

If I'm not on comp prep time, I won't do it after legs because I beat the shit out of my legs anyway. But for comp, the greater priority is setting up a good burn rate w/ my diet & very consistent cardio. It makes a huge difference for me if I don't do 2x/day, 7 days/week.

HeavyDutyGuy
04-16-2009, 02:00 AM
If I'm not on comp prep time, I won't do it after legs because I beat the shit out of my legs anyway. But for comp, the greater priority is setting up a good burn rate w/ my diet & very consistent cardio. It makes a huge difference for me if I don't do 2x/day, 7 days/week.

Makes total sense. I suspect I'm in the same situation. I'm amping it up by increments, just to be sure.

BigJD69
04-16-2009, 02:02 AM
Too much cardio tears my legs down.

HeavyDutyGuy
04-18-2009, 09:28 PM
Made it thru the first week of switch to morning cardio (T, TH,Sat) and adding 20 min post workout cardio. Total for this week 3 hours 20 mins. Wasn't bad once I made dietary adjustment. Next week will probably inrease to 55 min on cardio only days, to 3 hours 35 min total. 13 weeks out as of today, so I think that looks good.

esplendido
04-18-2009, 11:35 PM
Made it thru the first week of switch to morning cardio (T, TH,Sat) and adding 20 min post workout cardio. Total for this week 3 hours 20 mins. Wasn't bad once I made dietary adjustment. Next week will probably inrease to 55 min on cardio only days, to 3 hours 35 min total. 13 weeks out as of today, so I think that looks good.

How's your weight loss?

HeavyDutyGuy
04-19-2009, 02:17 AM
Fat loss this week was good, put up 2 pics- actual ab shots, lol on the other thread. Switching to mornings and adding p/o made a visible difference, now I want to keep the ball rolling, bumping it up week by week. In 12 weeks that should be another 3 hours a week additional cardio, subject to adjustments as needed.

thfireguy
07-01-2009, 12:04 AM
Two hours a day. One in the morning before I eat and the second in the mid afternoon

BigJD69
07-01-2009, 12:05 AM
Agreed!!!