PDA

View Full Version : More on Overeating

Sistersteel
04-15-2009, 11:10 AM
Society is merciless towards the compulsive overeater. Regarded as gluttonous and unattractive, these cruel prejudices only serve to intensify the low self-esteem and distorted body image that underlie this particular form of addiction.

Overeating is pervasive in this society. It is the cause of some of the most prevalent health problems in our society today but the condition is often not recognized for what it is. This recognition is the necessary first step towards the alleviation of the problem.

Compulsive overeaters tend to share a particular personality profile. They are often people pleasers who tend to hide their real feelings. They struggle with low self-esteem and poor body image and they are often anxious, lonely people who are unable to meet their legitimate needs in healthy ways.

Overeating typically begins in early childhood when eating patterns develop. In this early context food is recognized or repeatedly offered as a solution for all emotional problems. Not only does this "solution" create physical problems but it perpetuates a vicious cycle.

Food is used as a palliative, a cure-all for emotional pain and a ready substitute for love and fulfillment but the comfort it offers is an illusion. Overeating results in an immediate "rush" soon followed by a downer that demands more of the addictive substance to sustain the "high". Regular episodic binges are followed by powerful feelings of guilt and remorse.

The overeater feels completely powerless to break this vicious cycle. He or she may attempt to compensate for binging with compulsive attempts to diet, purge or exercise. Ultimately a profound sense of self-disgust sends them back to the kitchen.

When overeating is recognized as a genuine addiction it can be successfully treated. Therapy needs to approach the problem from both physical and psychological angles in order to be truly successful.

clbbig
06-26-2009, 10:06 PM
That really describes me where do i start to find help for this?

RDFinders
06-26-2009, 10:09 PM
That really describes me where do i start to find help for this?
look for an overeaters anonymus group in your area. if you are not obese, they will frown upon you. my next recommendation would be NA or AA as the addictive cycle with food is much like drugs or alcohol. the choice of drug is just different.

R.I.P.
09-27-2009, 11:31 PM
look for an overeaters anonymus group in your area. if you are not obese, they will frown upon you. my next recommendation would be NA or AA as the addictive cycle with food is much like drugs or alcohol. the choice of drug is just different.

all long time ago, there was a woman that came to NA meetings in my area that was a compulsive eater. she did find relief thru the steps as well.