PDA

View Full Version : Milos type training

chris d
04-15-2009, 02:14 PM
Was just wandering if anyone out there trains using this type of protocol alot of giant sets. Also what kind of results are you seeing from it? any feedback would be great. I have been mixing it in my training and the results this far have been great it will kick your ass, but it seems to be working I have been doing my heavy basics on each bodypart first then doing milos training at the end.

buster12
04-15-2009, 02:17 PM
I think you almost need your own gym to do giant sets.

flipper
04-15-2009, 03:25 PM
Was just wandering if anyone out there trains using this type of protocol alot of giant sets. Also what kind of results are you seeing from it? any feedback would be great. I have been mixing it in my training and the results this far have been great it will kick your ass, but it seems to be working I have been doing my heavy basics on each bodypart first then doing milos training at the end.

Can you post an example program that you did?

chris d
04-15-2009, 05:18 PM
Can you post an example program that you did?
Flipper here is what I did today, started out on incline smith press 2 all out heavy sets 6 to 8 reps moved to flat dumbell press same thing as smith 2 all out sets heavy I always use top notch form on everything I do I use the muscle that I am training to do the work. Then set up flat,incline,decline hammer machines with weights I could get at least 8 to 10 reps with hit these back to back to back then finshed with a flat cable fly in which I held in a contracted position for 2 seconds. did 3 rotations like this, it is brutal but you will love the pump. I have been doing all of my bodyparts like this I am currentley 14 weeks out from a show. Give it a try, let me know how it goes. If looking for ideas on exercises go to, you tube or the fit show on bodybuilding.com type in Milos and watch him kill these poor bastards it is great to watch. As far as doing giant sets in the gym, I have know problems at my gym, peolpe stay the hell out of my way I am not a ass or anything it is just everyone knows me and they know how I train or you could always train really early or late when know one is around. Chris

Frosty
04-15-2009, 07:33 PM
I'd be cautious and make sure you don't skimp on heavy work. Just the giant sets seems like too low a load to get real protein hypertrophy....but it'll sure fill your muscles up with glycogen, creatine, water, etc.

chris d
04-15-2009, 08:44 PM
I'd be cautious and make sure you don't skimp on heavy work. Just the giant sets seems like too low a load to get real protein hypertrophy....but it'll sure fill your muscles up with glycogen, creatine, water, etc.
Frosty, I here what you are saying but the sad truth is milos method's stimulate 10X more fibers than just training heavy, you stimulate fibers that have probably never been tapped. Do not assume just because you are not using a ton of weight, does not mean you are not going to grow a 30 lb dumbell feels like 70 or more, if it is heavy at that time how does the muscle no any different?

Frosty
04-15-2009, 11:26 PM
Frosty, I here what you are saying but the sad truth is milos method's stimulate 10X more fibers than just training heavy, you stimulate fibers that have probably never been tapped. Do not assume just because you are not using a ton of weight, does not mean you are not going to grow a 30 lb dumbell feels like 70 or more, if it is heavy at that time how does the muscle no any different?

Why don't I just hold my arms out to my sides for a couple hours....it'll start to feel really heavy. I'll be huge in no time.

chris d
04-16-2009, 08:37 AM
Why don't I just hold my arms out to my sides for a couple hours....it'll start to feel really heavy. I'll be huge in no time.
Ok Frosty, So you want to be a wise ass, let me ask you do you train heavy all the time? if so post some pictures of yourself and lets take a look at what you got to show for it. Then I will post some of myself and lets see if holding my arms out for 2 hours is more effective than your so called heavy training. I am not saying you should not train heavy, what I am saying is that different training is required to stimulate muscle, same type training all the time will lead you no ware just trying to give some thoughts to trying different things that's all.

Frosty
04-16-2009, 01:05 PM
Ok Frosty, So you want to be a wise ass, let me ask you do you train heavy all the time? if so post some pictures of yourself and lets take a look at what you got to show for it. Then I will post some of myself and lets see if holding my arms out for 2 hours is more effective than your so called heavy training. I am not saying you should not train heavy, what I am saying is that different training is required to stimulate muscle, same type training all the time will lead you no ware just trying to give some thoughts to trying different things that's all.

Sorry for being a smart ass. I was taking your logic to an extreme to make a point. You can check my profile and see my avatar. I'm sure you're bigger and in better shape than I.

To stimulate contractile protein hypertrophy, heavy weights are best with lots of time under tension (more sets, for example).

But there is also sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. The sarcoplasm is the "goo" that's in the muscle fibers surrounding the contractile proteins that supply needed fuel. If you do a lot of higher reps and a lot of volume, like Milos's training, you WILL gain muscle through this. I really believe BOTH types of training is what will get you the best results because you hypertrophy the faster twitch muscle fibers and hit contractile proteins harder with heavy lower rep training with sufficient volume, and if you add higher rep/volume work with incomplete rest intervals, you will force the body to increase the stored energy to fuel the workouts better, leading to a different type of hypertrophy.

I also don't believe you can only do one or the other. Can you maximize strength gains by not doing a lot of the higher rep/volume work? Yes. Can you get in more volume/high rep work by omitting the low rep heavy work? Yes.

But check out the Westside guys and their conjugated periodization. They do BOTH all the time. It works and is another option for training.

The only caution is making sure that you have recovery ability to handle it, which requires gradual progression in volume over time (years, ideally). Louie Simmons is a big proponent of getting in better shape so you can do more work in the gym, which leads to better gains if done over a good length of time.

Hell look at olympic athletes. I know not all are drug free but many of them are, and the top weight lifters can squat, clean, snatch, and do more squats and assistance work for 9 and sometimes up to 14 sessions a week. Some genetics, sure, but at the same time they've gradually worked up to this training volume over YEARS of gradual progression. Any guy early in training if he jumps right into something like that he's begging for an injury and being totally trashed into the ground with overtraining. But give it years, IMO, more work in the gym = better results.

The Big Sexy
04-16-2009, 01:17 PM
I've tried the giant sets before - I think it's a great way to mix things up. I love to add in different training routines every now and again - I don't think I can do it consecutively for very long... but I have done it with back before - and the pump and muscle soreness I got off it was INSANE.

I also go much heavier in other workouts, I use ballistic training as well as speed reps - I try to get a variety in.

But back to the Milos training - I think it is a very effective method - but I am not sure I would rely on it solely, that's just me...

chris d
04-16-2009, 01:19 PM
Frosty, right on I agree, it takes more than just one way of training to reach new levels if someone is a at a sticking point I suggest to try milos methods it will give joints a rest and stimulate new fibers.

MRT
04-16-2009, 01:20 PM
Overtraining, try some Yates style training ans watch your self really grow!!

Frosty
04-16-2009, 01:25 PM
But back to the Milos training - I think it is a very effective method - but I am not sure I would rely on it solely, that's just me...

Hey thanks....that was my point but you put it much more simply than I did :)

The Big Sexy
04-16-2009, 01:26 PM
Hey thanks....that was my point but you put it much more simply than I did :)

I have a habit of keeping things simple lol

Frosty
04-16-2009, 01:28 PM
I have a habit of keeping things simple lol

I need to learn from you!