PDA

View Full Version : Migraine Headaches

Sistersteel
04-15-2009, 02:34 PM
I went back and forth for a good fifteen minutes trying to figure out which forum was the most suitable to post this write up. I ended up in here. I am more than happy to move this thread to a more appropriate forum of your choice.

I suffer from very bad migraine headaches. The worst of the various triggers of my headaches is usually my blood pressure. I am having one of my deadly throbs today and am having to squint to finish this post. So I was wondering how many of you out there suffer from migraines? How do you deal with them, and what are some of your triggers?

Here is the write up I wanted to share:

As early as 400 BC Hippocrates classified headaches into two groups, primary and secondary. Secondary headaches are those, which indicate an underlying medical condition. Primary headaches are a medical condition of themselves. Migraines are a type of primary headache.

Migraine headaches tend to be quite severe. The pain is throbbing and intense and can occur in any part of the head. However, it is usually in the temples or behind an eye or ear.

Migraines are often accompanied by nausea, vomiting, and sensitivity to light and sound. They can last anywhere from a few hours to a couple of days. Depending on the individual, migraines may occur once or twice a week or once or twice a year.

Women are more susceptible to migraines than men. While migraines are common in people from 15 to 55 years old, their frequency and severity often decrease with age. Women usually experience migraines between the ages of 20 and 45. Also, women's migraines are often connected to their menstrual cycle.

While researchers haven't determined the exact cause of migraines, they are usually set off by various factors referred to as triggers. These includes sleep deprivation, hunger, offensive odors, too bright lights, too loud noises, hormone changes during the menstrual cycle, stress, anxiety, foods containing nitrates, MSG, tyramiine or aspartame, alcohol, too much caffeine and weather changes.

There are two main types of migraines: classical and common. People with classical migraine often experience sensory symptoms prior to an attack. These may be seeing flashing lights, numbness or tingling the face or hands, and a disturbed sense of smell or touch. These symptoms are referred to as an aura. Common migraines have no aura. The aura is more often seen by men than women.

Sometimes it is difficult to differentiate a migraine from a bad tension type headache. However migraine pain tends to be more severe with intense throbbing. Both have a steady ache.

Tension headaches tend to be bilateral (pain on both sides of the head) while migraines are unilateral (pain restricted to one side of the head. Migraines are accompanied by nausea, vomiting and sensitivity to light and sounds. This is rare in tension headaches. Migraines may have an aura prior to the onset whereas tension headaches never have an aura.

Some migraines respond to over the counter medications such as asprin, acetaminophen or NSAIDS such as ibuprofen. However, other patients may need prescription drugs.

Medications are most effective when taken as soon as symptoms begin so people who suffer from migraines should always have medication with them.
If no nausea is present, it helps to drink fluids.

When migraines are so disabling that they interfere with work, social events or family activities, doctors often recommend prevention medicines.

Another prevention strategy is to try to identify the triggers and make appropriate lifestyle changes. For example, if stress triggers a migraine, try to find ways to either reduce or cope with the stress.

Each individual is different. What works for one person may not help another. While some sufferers have successfully used alternatives such as biofeedback and acupuncture, others must rely on drugs for prevention and pain relief.
SS

Strikerrjones
04-19-2009, 11:13 PM
Have you tried Advil Migraine or Excedrin Migraine? I used to get horrible migraines two or three times a week in high school, and now I'll still get one every so often. Sometimes the migraine pills work, sometimes they don't, but they're the only thing that has ever helped at all with mine. I was put on a few medications by doctors, but most of them made me extremely nauseous and didn't help the headaches at all.

One other thing I've tried that works occasionally is jogging. It's almost impossible to get started, especially if the migraine is already really bad, but sometimes after about 10 minutes of jogging it'll feel like ice water flushes through my head and drains the pain out.

A few different things trigger them, but I find I usually only get them if I haven't slept well the night before. Then little things like staring at my computer too long or not drinking enough water can start the migraine.

realmccoy
06-21-2009, 09:53 PM
I sometime suffer from these and I found the following to help:

Zomig nasal spray and two naproxen

or
800mgs of Advil and two naproxen
follow by going into a darkroom and gets some rest or a least laying down with my eyes closed.

B7emm
06-21-2009, 10:36 PM
my wife has this and it is also blood pressure related. the doc has her on a med to take that lowers blood pressure and some thing for nausea and a pill to take if she has one imatrex.

Ryan Wacht
10-22-2009, 09:53 PM
Nothing works as good for migraines as imitrex, in my experience. The shit is expensive though. Besides that, a higher dose of ibuprofen often works for me if I lie down with all the lights out.

Celia
01-02-2010, 10:23 PM
I've had migraines my whole life. What's the frequency of yours and how long have they been going on? Where is the pain? You stated is a "throbbing" pain. Does it always feel like this? Do you notice visual changes? And do you get an aura before the migraine comes on?

Dr. Mike Feulner
01-05-2010, 06:48 PM
I deal with this quite often in my office. The number 1 cause of headaches...migraine, tesnion, etc...is a lack of oxygen to the brain. Now, this does not mean it is the only cause but it is the most common. I even see this as the cause more in athletes, especially with what we do as bodybuilders and strength athletes, due to the musculature in the back. When the ribs do not articulate as they should this inhibits your lungs from filling up copmpletely and causes a "lack" of oxygen to the brain. It is the bodies natural reaction to cause pain in the head as a warning to you to get more oxygen. This goes back to the days of sleeping in caves! Get adjusted, stretch and/or get soft tissue work on a regular basis. There is much more to this and how to handle it based upon the individual and his/her particular symptoms. Hope this helps.