PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Lifts

Snacks
06-13-2012, 02:49 PM
What are some of your thoughts on the Olympic lifts, specifically Cleans and Snatches? Learning to Jerk seems logical for various over head events to keep in the old bag o'tricks.

Properly cleaning and snatching though take a lot more practice to get right and I am trying to decide if it is worth the time.

Currently I Power Clean from hang and press every now and then, but only weight that I can manhandle. I warm up on upper body days, both ME and DE with Muscle Snatches. After seeing Misha do these, I like them and they really get my shoulders ready for pressing. I tend to do sets of 3-5 first rep from floor, rest from hang as my gym doesn't have bumper plates.

So what do you think? Is the carry over and GPP worth the time, or should I just say Fuck it and continental?

Oh and the vid of Misha muscle snatching is here. His channel is: http://www.youtube.com/user/koklyaevmisha/videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PddEV1k8Yg&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL A75A8428DE91A62F

Bryan Hildebrand
06-13-2012, 03:54 PM
I think for hip power, neither can be beat. training snatch and C&J without a belt is some of the best core activity you can do IMO. I love to watch guys power through a deep snatch (no pun intended) and make an impossible appearing lift, work.

most current strength athletes certainly clean. so many events now require that motion. working on cleans with a log is clearly helpful too.

Ryan Bracewell
06-13-2012, 03:59 PM
Regarding strongman I do not find them necessary, but doing them will definitely not harm your gains.....assuming you dont get injured doing them.

Snacks
06-15-2012, 09:44 AM
Thanks, guys. Your points follow my thoughts on it. I didn't even think about the hip/core power, so that is a good point. I was thinking about the explosiveness. As Ryan mentioned, I am a bit concerned about injury though as I don't have a coach.

I think I will try and learn to clean and snatch on my off days/warm ups and practice them until I can integrate the movements into my workouts.

Ryan Bracewell
06-15-2012, 10:30 AM
The injury aspect is the big issue I have with Oly lifts. They are extremely technical and if done improperly you can end up injuring your shoulders or back. This is one of the reason most professional sports teams in the states don't use them anymore. But if your properly instructed they can be another great tool in your arsenal