PDA

View Full Version : John madden retires!

Mike the Ripper
04-16-2009, 02:33 PM
Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:31 am EDT

John Madden retires from NBC after 30 seasons in the booth
By Chris Chase
John Madden is going out on top. After calling one of the most thrilling Super Bowls of all-time, the 73-year old analyst-turned-video-game-icon is retiring from the broadcast booth, NBC announced today.

It won't feel the same without Madden calling games on any network this year (he's been employed by each of the four major broadcast channels since he began calling games in 1979), but it's the right time for Madden to hang up his microphone.

After it seemed like he was slipping in his final few years at FOX, Madden seemed reinvigorated in 2002 when he joined Al Michaels in the Monday Night Football booth (and then, eventually, on NBC's Sunday Night Football). To go out now is to go out with his legacy in tact.

Whatever you thought of him (and emotions ranged from love to hate), Madden's presence always made the game feel more important. Watching clips of him and Pat Summerall in the 1980s still gives me goosebumps. Madden loved football and that passion was always present in his broadcasts.

The news of the Madden retirement isn't entirely surprising, as there had been some recent signs to suggest it might happen. Madden NFL '09 was the first version of the game since its introduction in 1993 not to feature Madden's voice providing in-game analysis. And in October he took his first NFL weekend off since 1980. His replacement for that game, Cris Collinsworth, is Madden's most likely successor in NBC's booth.

When it's written, there will be three main chapters to the John Madden story. First, was his time spent as Oakland Raiders head coach (Madden owns the highest winning percentage in NFL history). Last will be the legacy he leaves with his video game franchise. The middle chapter is the most important. The NFL's television presence in the 1980s helped catapult the sport past baseball into becoming America's past time. And John Madden a big part of that for the ride.

UPDATE: NBC's Dick Ebersol has announced that Cris Collinsworth will indeed be taking John Madden's place in the Sunday Night booth. To replace Collinsworth in the studio, Ebersol said the show will be retooled, which probably means adding 23 more analysts

~gymdiva~
04-16-2009, 02:35 PM
omg what??? :eek: I can't have my football without Madden!!!

kraken
04-16-2009, 02:36 PM
I guess it is time. Cris Collinsworth? I hate that chicken neck bastard.

Mike the Ripper
04-16-2009, 02:43 PM
omg what??? :eek: I can't have my football without Madden!!!

Do you need to be held? :D

I thought the same thing, he is emaciated and has absolutely no personality. There has to be better choices.

kraken
04-16-2009, 02:47 PM
I thought the same thing, he is emaciated and has absolutely no personality. There has to be better choices.
Terry Bradshaw would do nicely.

The Big Sexy
04-16-2009, 02:48 PM
As long as they keep having the video games...

Mike the Ripper
04-16-2009, 02:49 PM
Terry Bradshaw would do nicely.

Possibly, I think he is too hyper sometimes. For Sunday mornings on Fox I like him, Monday night I need something a little more subdued. I really liked Dennis Miller although I know most people didn't, his comedy is for people on the higher end of the IQ spectrum lol.

Mike the Ripper
04-16-2009, 02:49 PM

That is a cash cow, I'm sure that he will still lend his voice to that. He would be stupid not too.

kraken
04-16-2009, 02:53 PM
Possibly, I think he is too hyper sometimes. For Sunday mornings on Fox I like him, Monday night I need something a little more subdued. I really liked Dennis Miller although I know most people didn't, his comedy is for people on the higher end of the IQ spectrum lol.
So true about Miller. I knew he wouldn't last. Bradshaw has animation though. I could see him fitting right in.

Mike the Ripper
04-16-2009, 02:55 PM
So true about Miller. I knew he wouldn't last. Bradshaw has animation though. I could see him fitting right in.

What about Howie Long? He has that GQ look and can be entertaining, he has a lot of football insight that pertains to the way the game is played today as well.

Mike the Ripper
04-16-2009, 02:59 PM

Just heard, they are keeping the game for sure.

Cash is king

kraken
04-16-2009, 03:04 PM
What about Howie Long? He has that GQ look and can be entertaining, he has a lot of football insight that pertains to the way the game is played today as well.
You want him don't you?

Mike the Ripper
04-16-2009, 03:20 PM
You want him don't you?

It's the flat top.

kraken
04-16-2009, 03:22 PM
It's the flat top.
He would do.

~gymdiva~
04-16-2009, 03:39 PM
Do you need to be held? :D

hmmm, why yes...yes I do :D

thepump
04-16-2009, 03:41 PM
Time takes every thing.

Mike the Ripper
04-16-2009, 04:02 PM
hmmm, why yes...yes I do :D

Let's cuddle:D

~gymdiva~
04-16-2009, 04:04 PM
Let's cuddle:D

:bigkiss: yes...hold me!

:D

Mike the Ripper
04-16-2009, 04:06 PM
:bigkiss: yes...hold me!

:D

How did we turn a John Madden thread into an internet lover's lane, lol??? We just might be that damned good:)

kraken
04-16-2009, 04:07 PM
Bleck

Mike the Ripper
04-16-2009, 04:14 PM
Bleck

I will cuddle with you too:)

~gymdiva~
04-16-2009, 04:21 PM
How did we turn a John Madden thread into an internet lover's lane, lol??? We just might be that damned good:)

we are :cool:

MichaelWayne
04-16-2009, 04:26 PM
Yeh, see if you're gonna retire then you have to stop working and if you're gonna stop working, then....then...then, that means you have to retire. Now to have a all in retire mode, you need to stop doing what they call work...because..ah...ah..ah....BOOM thats just how the world goes. Cause...if...if...you're gonna do what you say you do, then...ah...ah....retire. Favre.

He's had a mighty looong career in football, time to ride off into the sunset on his Outback Steakhouse bus. Yippie hi-ho!

Mike the Ripper
04-16-2009, 04:40 PM
Yeh, see if you're gonna retire then you have to stop working and if you're gonna stop working, then....then...then, that means you have to retire. Now to have a all in retire mode, you need to stop doing what they call work...because..ah...ah..ah....BOOM thats just how the world goes. Cause...if...if...you're gonna do what you say you do, then...ah...ah....retire. Favre.

He's had a mighty looong career in football, time to ride off into the sunset on his Outback Steakhouse bus. Yippie hi-ho!

Hahaha I could totally hear his voice when I was reading that, bravo!

BigJD69
04-16-2009, 06:27 PM
WOW Football without Madden!!!!

"Rodz"
04-18-2009, 03:03 AM
Nobody again will use a tele-strator to put circles around the big guts of offensive linemen, we'll miss you john

Sandpig
04-19-2009, 09:10 AM
Personally, I think it was time for him to go. Years ago I loved him. He's just getting like Summerall lately. Forgetfull and stuttering.

But Chris Collinsworth? He sucks.

-Z-
04-19-2009, 09:39 AM
I think Berman should replace him.

http://kristabella.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/chris-berman.jpg

They better keep making the games or I'll have a meltdown. lol

tonyb82
04-19-2009, 10:31 PM
been time for madden to go. great for the game of football but time for some new talent to come up. collinsworth is an alright analyst but they can do better

"Rodz"
04-20-2009, 11:37 AM
I think Berman should replace him.

http://kristabella.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/chris-berman.jpg

They better keep making the games or I'll have a meltdown. lol

good call

Por2gue
04-21-2009, 01:51 AM
Pedo also.

kraken
04-21-2009, 02:09 AM
Pedo also.
Why doesn't that shock me?