PDA

View Full Version : Hiring a Nutritionist

man of courage
04-16-2009, 08:26 PM
How well are they able to work thru e-mail and other communication where there is never any face to face time? Would you recommend someone at a local level or someone who you work with over the computer and phone? :popcorn:

FLEXR6
04-16-2009, 08:50 PM
Moc

I wouldn't waste my money on one for bodybuilding purposes. There is more than enough info on the net, in mags and especially through competitive bodybuilders on nutrition.
Most importantly, whatever you try - record it, this is the only way you will know if what you are trying is working for you.

MDur8
04-16-2009, 10:27 PM
How well are they able to work thru e-mail and other communication where there is never any face to face time? Would you recommend someone at a local level or someone who you work with over the computer and phone? :popcorn:

Here's a good article by Ken "Skip" Hill about hiring a nutritionist...

http://teamskip.net/blog/?cat=4

mdvsony
04-16-2009, 10:50 PM
i need the face to face interaction when it comes to someone giving me advise.

we all don't have the luxuries though...

Koubs
04-16-2009, 11:21 PM
I believe that "success leaves clues": So if someone has a good track record of helping guys and walks the walk (looks good themself), I want to learn from them... You can never have too much knowledge

Also important: Bodybuilders often get stuck in the same routine, when someone else out there may have something totally different to offer that you've never thought of... Do a LOT of research before picking someone to mentor you, cause the good ones ain't cheap...

I'd recommend hiring someone you think is THE BEST... These guys can do everything fine over the internet, that shouldn't be a concern

The Big Sexy
04-16-2009, 11:58 PM
I love that my coach is Natural (no steroid use) and I also love that he is local and out of my gym.

That being said - he has a wealth of knowledge when it comes to bodybuilding and placed 6th at last years USA's in the Light Heavyweight class. He's been doing this since he was a teen - nutrition, etc. He's worked his way up the ladder from lightweight, to middleweight to light heavy.

He also works with ALR - he is Pete Ciccone - great guy and I can't speak volumes about this work ethic enough.

THAT being said - I think there are a ton of great coaches out there and if you are looking for one - what you need to do is talk to them - bounce your ideas off their heads and find out which one will work best with you.

dropshot001
05-11-2009, 01:04 PM
you really limit your options just through a logistical standpoint if you don't want to hire someone over the net. make sure he/she has a good rep and do what they tell you to do

Jodie
05-11-2009, 01:21 PM
I love that my coach is Natural (no steroid use) and I also love that he is local and out of my gym.

That being said - he has a wealth of knowledge when it comes to bodybuilding and placed 6th at last years USA's in the Light Heavyweight class. He's been doing this since he was a teen - nutrition, etc. He's worked his way up the ladder from lightweight, to middleweight to light heavy.

He also works with ALR - he is Pete Ciccone - great guy and I can't speak volumes about this work ethic enough.

THAT being said - I think there are a ton of great coaches out there and if you are looking for one - what you need to do is talk to them - bounce your ideas off their heads and find out which one will work best with you.

I'm with The Big Sexy on this one! I'm LOVING my preps with Pete!!

I've used people to do my nutrition ever since I started this silly adventure of mine. Its something I will always spend the money on because honestly...I don't want to have to think about my diet, my cardio or any of that...I would rather a 2nd set of eyes telling me what needs to be tweaked and when.

tonyaskew
05-12-2009, 07:07 PM

Most all top bodybuilders, (if not all) hire coaches.

I use a coach, and coach others through email.

I do not really think it makes a difference if someone is local or not, but that's just me. Just because someone is local or in your own gym doesn't give them an advantage.

In fact, IMO I think at times having someone that see's you everyday can be a slight disadvantage.
They can lose their objectivity, and can miss the smaller gains or loses because they do infact see you daily.

Alternatively, someone who only see's you in photos you send once a week can see the changes better since they do not see you daily.

I've used someone on local level, (came highly recommended) and had my worst show finish ever with him. This guy was/is one of the top NPC competitors in the country.
Which brings me to my next point. Just because someone is a really awesome BB'er, does not mean they are going to be a good coach.

My last coach was via email and he totally dialed me in.

Also keep in mind that there are many coaches that do not compete. They however really good coaches though.

Just do your homework.

Good luck!

RDFinders
05-13-2009, 12:01 AM
www.naturalbodybuildingevents.com (http://www.naturalbodybuildingevents.com) also has a list of trainers and nutritionist. you can see if they do online consultations or if one is near by for face-to-face. if you have private insurance, it should also be covered.

meatheadio
05-24-2009, 07:42 PM
I believe that "success leaves clues": So if someone has a good track record of helping guys and walks the walk (looks good themself), I want to learn from them... You can never have too much knowledge

Also important: Bodybuilders often get stuck in the same routine, when someone else out there may have something totally different to offer that you've never thought of... Do a LOT of research before picking someone to mentor you, cause the good ones ain't cheap...

I'd recommend hiring someone you think is THE BEST... These guys can do everything fine over the internet, that shouldn't be a concern

I concur.Go with results. Choose someone who is in shape themselves (uses his own methods) and has a list of clients who praise his work.
I myself am a nutritionist to a bunch of guys at the gym I work at. I have found that a good coach should be able to get you results quickly. I started with one guy, but because of the results I helped him achieve I soon had more people asking me for help. A good coach can be hard to find, butas Koubs said "success leaves clues".

R_U_Red_D
05-25-2009, 03:33 PM
I agree with the "Success leaves clues". I see many athletes who know how to get themselves into shape try to have their potential clients emulate that, and when it doesn't work they are at a loss as to what to do next.

A good coach has the experience to adjust within reason to get results but not over work you to get them. They will have experience with many body types, not just the gifted and the 'enhanced'

Remember too that you are going through a stressful process and having a unbiased second pair of eyes will prevent you from sabotaging your own success by doing something drastic.

MsGuns
05-25-2009, 03:46 PM
I'm with The Big Sexy on this one! I'm LOVING my preps with Pete!!

I've used people to do my nutrition ever since I started this silly adventure of mine. Its something I will always spend the money on because honestly...I don't want to have to think about my diet, my cardio or any of that...I would rather a 2nd set of eyes telling me what needs to be tweaked and when.

Im w/ you Jodie

GeminiJedi
05-25-2009, 04:32 PM
I'm working with someone this year and am SO GLAD I'M DOING IT. The progress is so much better this year than last year. The outside eyes are awesome--you NEED that objectivity when prepping. I do see my coach about 5 days a week, but we do posing once a week so that's when she gets a good look at me and we adjust the diet as needed then. I know coaches who will have you e-mail progress pics and tweak via those and give great results.

BigBilly
05-25-2009, 11:18 PM
ask a local bb who has competed b4

"Rodz"
05-26-2009, 02:35 AM
Most all top bodybuilders, (if not all) hire coaches.

I use a coach, and coach others through email.

I do not really think it makes a difference if someone is local or not, but that's just me. Just because someone is local or in your own gym doesn't give them an advantage.

In fact, IMO I think at times having someone that see's you everyday can be a slight disadvantage.
They can lose their objectivity, and can miss the smaller gains or loses because they do infact see you daily.

Alternatively, someone who only see's you in photos you send once a week can see the changes better since they do not see you daily.

I've used someone on local level, (came highly recommended) and had my worst show finish ever with him. This guy was/is one of the top NPC competitors in the country.
Which brings me to my next point. Just because someone is a really awesome BB'er, does not mean they are going to be a good coach.

My last coach was via email and he totally dialed me in.

Also keep in mind that there are many coaches that do not compete. They however really good coaches though.

Just do your homework.

Good luck!

great point

TheNatural
06-19-2009, 06:47 PM
make sure they specialize in exercise physiology, not just a 'nutritionist'. personally, i just go on these boards and read the magazines. eventually you'll know your body enough to know what and how much to eat. ive been a hard gainer (only gained 1 lb of quality muscle per month in college) but lately with age (26) i've been gaining weight faster.

man of courage
07-28-2009, 11:31 PM
Thanks for the replys

nic
07-29-2009, 12:06 AM
(only gained 1 lb of quality muscle per month in college)
Only a lb of muscle a month, you act like that isn't enough.

RDFinders
07-29-2009, 08:36 AM
Only a lb of muscle a month, you act like that isn't enough.
hello! as the average is a range of 5-10 lbs annually.

Jeepgcboy97
07-29-2009, 01:20 PM

I think it all depends on the actual person. If the person is very strategent and precise with his job, i dont think it should matter if he is local or not. It's better to have a great coach that guides you online vs. an average coach that is local.

Focus more on the actual trainer, not the mileage proximity. I currently have an online trainer and the communication is flawless. We communicate via email everyday and everything from diet/training/supplement/etc are given to me.

Every trainer has a different philosophy, see what works best for you

miamibodybuilder
05-14-2011, 07:47 AM
in my opinion its best to find one thats local so he can actually see you in person rather then email and pics. how many times have you received a pic through e-mail only to find out the person doesnt look the same as the pic? if you dont have one thats local, then find one thats reputable and get ahold of him/her and see how they work. if you're a natural, i recommend the best, ERIC BROSER. if you want go to this site and contact him.http://prrsguru.proboards.com/

BigJD69
05-14-2011, 01:11 PM
When I competed my trainer was my nutritionist that owned the gym I trained at and lived on my block. He would adjust my diet to how I was looking on any particular day. This was b4 the internet and certain supplements or even keto diets. I never used someone over the internet.