PDA

View Full Version : sweet potatoes

Yoshe
04-16-2009, 08:52 PM
I'm going into my last week of dieting and I need some help with sweet potatoes.

I really hate sweet potatoes with a fiery passion, so I'm looking for the fastest, best tasting way to get them down. Obviously, they will have to be made ahead of time, but will me baking them or frying them up on a pan make a difference macronutrient wise?

Also, for white potatoes, if I make enough for my entire carb load (3 days long) and just mash them up to make them easier to travel with/eat, will they still be the same macronutrient wise if I don't eat them and stay stay in my fridge for awhile?

These may seem like stupid questions, but I'm so close and don't want to mess up anything!

Thanks,
Yosh

Myth
04-16-2009, 08:57 PM
Try adding stevia and cinnamon to the sweet potatoes, mashed with shredded boiled chicken breasts.

Method of cooking determines the carb content. Boiling, frying, baking, and steaming will all yield slightly different post-cooked carb contents due to a variance in water loss.

Regarding your question about white potatoes, are you asking if carb content will change if you mash them rather than eating them whole???

Yoshe
04-16-2009, 09:07 PM
Try adding stevia and cinnamon to the sweet potatoes, mashed with shredded boiled chicken breasts.

Method of cooking determines the carb content. Boiling, frying, baking, and steaming will all yield slightly different post-cooked carb contents due to a variance in water loss.

Regarding your question about white potatoes, are you asking if carb content will change if you mash them rather than eating them whole???

No, I'm asking if it's OK if they sit in my fridge for 3 days until I get to them all.

My mom was telling me that the starches tend to separate when they sit...? I don't know if that's true or not, but like I said...better to ask a dumb question then not ask one at all.

AussieRugbyPlayer
04-16-2009, 09:23 PM
3 day old cook spuds, don't sound to flash mate.

There are other forms of low GI carbs you can eat you know, that are simular to sweet potatoe. I have always wondered why people eat stuff they can't stand.

ReneeK
04-17-2009, 09:47 AM
boil them and then mash them with a little salt, pepper and Spray butter ( if you can have that)...they will keep for 3 - 4 days.

ChunkyThunder
04-18-2009, 12:59 AM
boil them and then mash them with a little salt, pepper and Spray butter ( if you can have that)...they will keep for 3 - 4 days.

Also if you skin them it lowers the fiber content

As for sweet potatoes I personally love them, even plain, but as weird as it sounds hot sauce will kill a lot of the taste. I bring boiled chicken and a sweet potato with hot sauce to work with me just about every day and if there is a lot of hot sauce on it I can barely taste the potato.