PDA

View Full Version : vegetarian options...

~gymdiva~
04-17-2009, 12:13 AM
I am trying to put together a good list for a coworker of foods high(er) in protein since she is a vegetarian...she's not vegan though which helps tremendously...she eats seafood/fish about 3xweek and she's now back into some dairy...but I'm trying to come up with some other options other than the obvious...and she's not a bber so this is just for a typical active (she's a waitress, too) female...so far I've come up with:

lentils
nuts/nut butters
protein powders
tofu
hummus
low fat/ff dairy sources (like cottage cheese and yogurts)

I know I must be overlooking some stuff...ladies?

RDFinders
04-17-2009, 01:38 AM
I am trying to put together a good list for a coworker of foods high(er) in protein since she is a vegetarian...she's not vegan though which helps tremendously...she eats seafood/fish about 3xweek and she's now back into some dairy...but I'm trying to come up with some other options other than the obvious...and she's not a bber so this is just for a typical active (she's a waitress, too) female...so far I've come up with:

lentils
nuts/nut butters
protein powders
tofu
hummus
low fat/ff dairy sources (like cottage cheese and yogurts)

I know I must be overlooking some stuff...ladies?
actually, she isn't a vegetarian. she is a pescatarian - people who exclude chicken, pork, beef and other animals that are not marine creatures. so you building a list shouldn't be that difficult.

~gymdiva~
04-17-2009, 03:02 PM
I'm trying to compile a list of options that aren't obvious...like the lentils, hummus, etc...

JackieRTP
04-17-2009, 03:06 PM
What about eggs? You can do all kinds of things with eggs

Suzy Brown
04-17-2009, 03:13 PM
Quinoa is a grain (relatively) high in protein.

Shirataki is a noodle made of tofu, like 20 cal and no carbs per serving, awesome.

Tempeh is another soy product, a bit more of an acquired taste but better as a 'burger' and there's also a "fake'n bacon" version.

How is she with eggs? Quiche is so yum, or fritatta, or hardboiled, or egg salad...

~gymdiva~
04-17-2009, 03:16 PM
you know, I don't know if she does eggs or not...

I totally forgot about quinoa! I love that stuff :)

RDFinders
04-17-2009, 06:12 PM
there are quite a few sources of protein. just google them, b/c you forgot seitan which is a huge staple and all the analogs.

antonbrn
04-20-2009, 10:53 PM
veggie burgers (boca)
Artichoke
almond butter
rice milk
tofu