PDA

View Full Version : High reps for Muscle growth???

NTBB
04-17-2009, 02:31 AM
This may or may not have been posted before,
But was just wondering on what everyone thought of high reps? I understand there maybe different ideas on different muscle groups, i guess i was refering to legs in particular.
My training partner (who has crazy legs) & I have have done some high rep squating lately for eg (true numbers- ass to the ground):
last week
set 1 Body wt (92kg) x 50
set 2 140kg x 12
set 3 160kg x 5

This week
100kg for 30
140kg x 15
160kg x 8

(sorry I didn't convert to pounds for some)

I would say my partner would be one of the best squaters I have ever heard of and has crazy legs too. He double my reps with the same weight (that was his challenge)
Does this build better quads???

apex23
04-17-2009, 08:14 AM
Sure why not. Just make sure you change it up some. Do high reps for awhile and then go heavy!

SoxFan11
04-18-2009, 01:03 AM
I really believe it's different for each of us. I find that I respond better to higher reps for legs (12-15 range). But I also know some others who swear by keeping their rep range between 6-8 and have amazing quads.

I'd say to give it a shot for 6-8 weeks and see how you're progressing.

militantmuscle
04-18-2009, 03:17 AM
Test for muscle fiber ratios by seeing the threshold that certain group can withstand i.e. take an isolation exercise, find your SRM (single rep max) then take 80% and perform the set to failure, the rep range you end up with will help you ascertain roughly what type muscle fiber is dominant in that respective group.

TheSpirit
04-19-2009, 01:23 PM
Test for muscle fiber ratios by seeing the threshold that certain group can withstand i.e. take an isolation exercise, find your SRM (single rep max) then take 80% and perform the set to failure, the rep range you end up with will help you ascertain roughly what type muscle fiber is dominant in that respective group.
this^^^^

My growth overall has improved greatly using this tool, somewhere between 80-85% of my max is my rep range.

Mr. Hyde
04-20-2009, 12:11 PM
Yea, high reps always worked better for me also. I still do one compound movent for low reps (5-8) followed by one 20-30 rep set after that. DC recomends this for his training program but it works great period IMO. There was also i study print recently about going to failure in the 8-12 reps range being optimal for an increase in metabolic enzymes like GH PWO.

Wheels
04-20-2009, 05:01 PM

I'm definitely going to try this out.

AVBG
04-20-2009, 09:48 PM
I like to mix up the rep range as I train at home with not a lot of equip, so increasing the volume with leg training really wastes my quads.

AVBG
04-20-2009, 09:50 PM
I usually pyramid the weight when I squat from 135lbs to 360lbs with the reps going from 25 to 6.

tenreps
04-23-2009, 11:03 AM
I also pyrimid my legs but not to 360,maybe some day.i start at 135 up to 280 20 down to 7 reps.i like using the smith machine,it seems to isolate my quads better.i know that there are a lot of pro,s and con,s about that for legs but it works for me.i am also thinking about competting in my age group 65 and over if there are any.just started a cutting diet! Train hard and expect results.

Moose88
04-23-2009, 12:43 PM

So if you get a high rep total that means you have a dominant amount of _______ fibers.

And if you get a low rep total for your 80% max you have a dominant amount of ______ fibers.

And whatever rep amount you end up having is what range you should stick to for that muscle group?

raging pitbull
07-31-2009, 06:46 PM
I usually pyramid the weight when I squat from 135lbs to 360lbs with the reps going from 25 to 6.

tell me about it! i cant do legs and feel them workin if i do 6 reps. i love the massive pump of doin 20-30 reps per set and the feeling sore for 4 days straight after that.

TheSpirit
08-01-2009, 06:52 PM
So if you get a high rep total that means you have a dominant amount of _______ fibers.

And if you get a low rep total for your 80% max you have a dominant amount of ______ fibers.

And whatever rep amount you end up having is what range you should stick to for that muscle group?
pretty much ;)

esplendido
08-01-2009, 07:06 PM
tell me about it! i cant do legs and feel them workin if i do 6 reps. i love the massive pump of doin 20-30 reps per set and the feeling sore for 4 days straight after that.

Let's see your legs and we'll decide. Many top BBers have used high reps, but only after building a massive set of wheels with heavy, low rep exercises. I don't believe a beginner can use high reps to build winning wheels.

AVBG
08-01-2009, 07:56 PM
Let's see your legs and we'll decide. Many top BBers have used high reps, but only after building a massive set of wheels with heavy, low rep exercises. I don't believe a beginner can use high reps to build winning wheels.

what type of rep ranges have you done for your legs esplendido?

raging pitbull
08-03-2009, 03:55 AM

check my avator. i naturally have great leg development.

sunfowerggs
08-15-2009, 12:00 AM
Thank you so much for the post. It's really useful.:yep:

demande simulation pret personnel en ligne (http://simulationpretpersonnel.com) - Pret personnel en ligne et de comparer les meilleurs taux afin de... La demande de prêt personnelen lignedemande simulation pret personnel en ligne (http://simulationpretpersonnel.com)

anabolistic
08-19-2009, 09:56 PM
high reps ? .. for muscle growth ?

no way. 6 to 8 rep range is pretty ideal for muscle growth, especially as a natural.

thaistyle
08-20-2009, 08:51 PM

On this test, if you fail between 7 and 12 reps, you have greater than 50% type II muscles fibers (size, power, speed) if you get more than 12 reps you have greater than 50% type I muscle fibers (endurance/aerobic).

NaturalPhysique
09-17-2009, 12:40 PM
Personally speaking, I've done rep rangesof all types during my training lifetime and I must say that I do best with a 6-10 rep range. My muscles take on a harder, more dense appearance with heavy weight and lower reps.

But for quads I've been experimenting in the 10-20 range and I've actually seen some favorable results.

I guess it varies with your body type. Everyone is different.

miamibodybuilder
04-20-2011, 09:38 AM
well in my opinion it's best to do both high and low reps in the same workout to keep the muscles guessing. i've been doing this for the last couple of months along with adding some of Eric Brosers P/RR/S training system and have made some great gains this off-season. i used to only do low reps and didnt see the gains that i've been making by adding both high and low reps in my workouts. give it a try

IL WNBF Pro
04-21-2011, 10:23 AM
check my avator. i naturally have great leg development.

Your avatar with black sweat pants on will give us an idea of your leg development?

tmno
05-28-2011, 11:06 PM
i think its better to mix it up, high reps and low rep with heavier weights. This not only adds variety to my workout but I really feel my leg development. Well thats in my case, it may work differently on others

Jason Newman
06-04-2011, 12:05 AM
does anyone advocate higher reps for more isolation and more hazardous movements say Leg extension. i can do the stack but my knees ache and i cant feel it in my quad much....

and then lower reps for squats and leg presses which are multijoint and multi-muscle movements???

symphonyofdreams
06-05-2011, 08:28 PM
does anyone advocate higher reps for more isolation and more hazardous movements say Leg extension. i can do the stack but my knees ache and i cant feel it in my quad much....

and then lower reps for squats and leg presses which are multijoint and multi-muscle movements???

yeah, generally the more muscles the exercise works the less amount of reps i do. like if i was doing something like skull crushers/ chest flies there's no way i'd want to do 6 reps. that would be very ruff on the joints doing that kinda weight. it's probably similar doing leg extension. Though i do free weights exclusively

NaturalHardBody
06-26-2011, 03:11 AM
This may or may not have been posted before,
But was just wondering on what everyone thought of high reps? I understand there maybe different ideas on different muscle groups, i guess i was refering to legs in particular.
My training partner (who has crazy legs) & I have have done some high rep squating lately for eg (true numbers- ass to the ground):
last week
set 1 Body wt (92kg) x 50
set 2 140kg x 12
set 3 160kg x 5

This week
100kg for 30
140kg x 15
160kg x 8

(sorry I didn't convert to pounds for some)

I would say my partner would be one of the best squaters I have ever heard of and has crazy legs too. He double my reps with the same weight (that was his challenge)
Does this build better quads???
What ever you look at it mixing it up brings new stimulation, legs seem to respond to higher reps better than some other groups, that being said i find that whatever i do for legs work, high reps low reps no matter they grow they one of my strongest bodypart, but if it's a lagging group i must be more inovative with my game plan i would advize you to do the same, try to find what works best.

tmkm
08-02-2011, 01:04 PM
I used always just train with sets of 6 reps like Dorian Yates. I did that for years. When Is tarted using higher reps like 8-12 for most bodyparts and 10-20 for chest my body started growing very well. However you have to pummel set after set with submax weight like that. With sets of 6 I got very strong. But I cud care less about the strength part, I just want to grow. It was hard on the ego at first but still growing alot faster than before. especially chest!

symphonyofdreams
08-02-2011, 05:08 PM
I used always just train with sets of 6 reps like Dorian Yates. I did that for years. When Is tarted using higher reps like 8-12 for most bodyparts and 10-20 for chest my body started growing very well. However you have to pummel set after set with submax weight like that. With sets of 6 I got very strong. But I cud care less about the strength part, I just want to grow. It was hard on the ego at first but still growing alot faster than before. especially chest!

yeah going from 6 reps to 10-20 is rough on the ego at first cause your using very light weight in comparison. all that maters to me is that i'm getting bigger and progressing at whatever rep range i'm using. have you been progressing at that rep range?

tmkm
08-19-2011, 04:35 PM
yeah going from 6 reps to 10-20 is rough on the ego at first cause your using very light weight in comparison. all that maters to me is that i'm getting bigger and progressing at whatever rep range i'm using. have you been progressing at that rep range?

Having trained at low reps for so long and for the last couple years completing changing my reps tol 8-15 sometimes 15-25 it has made a huge difference in muscle mass for me. The 6 reps Dorian thing sounds good, looks good going heavy, got strong, but didn't produce muscle mass as quickly. One day I decided IT WASNT WORKING!

eddy01
10-04-2011, 04:12 AM
HmMm.. Nice Idea feel good to read that,nice discussion
keep it up.

eddy01
10-08-2011, 01:00 AM
HmMm.. Nice Idea feel good to read that,nice discussion
keep it up.
Overland Park gym (http://www.jamieplunkettfitness.com/blog/2011/09/05/how-to-find-the-best-overland-park-gym/)

Bigmacdaddy18
10-08-2011, 03:54 PM
to properly grow you have to stimulate both muscle fibers, fast twitch and slow twitch on a regular basis, real important for natural athletes. The fast twitch muscle fibers are worked by reps in the 6-8 range and the slow twitch in the 15-40 range. An ideal bodybuilding set would be 4 sets of 6, 4 sets of 12 and 3 sets of 40 per body part...it works.

I Eat Therefore I Am
10-08-2011, 09:06 PM
Everyone can benefit from all kinds of rep ranges. Trying to find out what is "best", for diet or training, will only limit progress. Variation works. The hard part isn't figuring out whether to do high/low reps, high/low weight, keto diet, lots of carbs, or anything like that; it's figuring out when and for how long to change things. It is very common for people to say that they switched from one range to another and experienced progression.

txhawkeyes
10-08-2011, 10:30 PM
I watched Dave's video of him doing Calves at the gym when at the Olympia. I tried that, and liked it, but it didn't work. Has to do with me being an Ecto I think....but what has worked really well for my calves is this. At my gym there is a staircase to upper level with 12 stairs on it. I grab a 45, and then do ten raises on each stair. Get to the top, come back down, rest 3 min or so, then do the other two sets. That is like 3 x 120 raises, and sounds ridiculous, but it has really started to develop my calves. I do it once a week. After a few weeks though, I do something different like Dave's heavy 2 set superset thing. The combo works well over a month's time.

The smarter folks ahead of me are right, it is a combo of things, and you have to confuse your muscle group with changes.

I like the first post from way back though...starting with a ton of em, then ending with single digit reps in the 3rd set.

Mugmeh
01-18-2012, 05:53 AM
Wo
w, That
's rilliant! Is there any articles regarding this subject?

NaturalLoco
01-18-2012, 10:55 AM

On this test, if you fail between 7 and 12 reps, you have greater than 50% type II muscles fibers (size, power, speed) if you get more than 12 reps you have greater than 50% type I muscle fibers (endurance/aerobic).

So are you saying test this on a leg extension? and a lying leg curl?

NaturalHardBody
03-04-2012, 12:11 PM
I don't do high reps myself but i heard they are good for a change of pace and for quality.

seanmech
03-04-2012, 03:57 PM
Heavy weights build muscle 8-12 8-15 arms

Waylon
03-04-2012, 05:13 PM
You lost me at Kg's :(

With the exception of the one set the rest of your stuff is pretty normal, and asides the order of them it's not that unheard of to throw in some high rep sets for bodybuilding purposes. I was expecting something stupid like 3 sets 100 reps lol.

What I like to do is a regular V set 12,10,8 (just an example) and I really try to make that last set a maximal set to near if not total failure, and I treat it as if its my last and most important set. I then drop the weights (down to about 70-80% of whatever I was doing), collect my breath and will do a high rep set (sometimes rest pause as well) . For example we do this a lot on leg presses, regular drop sets with one major set fallowed by a set of 50, these things make me miserable (in the best way possible)

:ninjaloco:

http://www.rxmuscle.com/images/banners/SNAC200%20x%201002.jpg

NaturalHardBody
04-21-2012, 07:46 AM
It's good to shwitch it up bouth for body and mind. The body gets used to always the same stimuli, so it's good for every part not just legs, and to hit diferent muscle fibers that might be dormant due to always the same rep ranges i.e. slow and fast twich fibers, so bottom line go for it.
For myself i did go very heavy in this offseason but now to give my joints a rest and to refresh my self i do some more reps in the squat.
I also read somwhere that lighter weights help build up joint cartilige as opposed to heavy weight.

Conrad
04-21-2012, 07:57 AM
What NatrualHardBody said.

I have been working with John Meadows for sometime now. Each week the sets, reps, exercises or sequence is different but still maintaining the same purpose and concept. I have noticed BIG changes

txhawkeyes
04-21-2012, 11:37 AM
One person suggested doing lower reps to build up strength before turning to high reps. I did that, and it worked well. I did D Y's HIT for 4 months, and got pretty strong doing it. Then, do to the aches and pains, I turned to 20 rep workouts. It worked well too. Now I am doing a 3 day a week split, but on 23-25 reps on each set. The one key I implemented a few weeks ago, was 30 sec rest between sets. That gives me a GREAT pump, and the next day, some good DOMS.

Granted, i am an Ecto, tall and thinner. That may have a lot to do with it. And going to high reps was due to joint pains coming on 50 yrs old. So to vary, I sometimes do sets of 20 reps with plenty of rest. Like 3-4 minutes. Then the next week, I kill it with 30 sec rest. You would not believe how much more weight I can put up with 3-4 minutes rest. With 30 sec rest, my goal is to stay as heavy as I possibly can.

Its working, putting on size. 4-5 pounds in the last 3 weeks. Slowly but surely. And the workout is only about 20 % of the whole routine....never forget that part.

Minnphat
04-22-2012, 07:45 AM
I always start of with heavy compound movements... 6-8 reps then end with my isolation types and go as high at 20..... I figure I get the best of both worlds....

data4
04-22-2012, 07:39 PM
What NatrualHardBody said.

I have been working with John Meadows for sometime now. Each week the sets, reps, exercises or sequence is different but still maintaining the same purpose and concept. I have noticed BIG changes

This...