PDA

View Full Version : High reps for Muscle growth???

NTBB
04-17-2009, 02:57 AM
This may or may not have been posted before,
But was just wondering on what everyone thought of high reps? I understand there maybe different ideas on different muscle groups, i guess i was refering to legs in particular.
My training partner (who has crazy legs) & I have have done some high rep squating lately for eg (true numbers- ass to the ground):
last week
set 1 Body wt (92kg) x 50
set 2 140kg x 12
set 3 160kg x 5

This week
100kg for 30
140kg x 15
160kg x 8

(sorry I didn't convert to pounds for some)

I would say my partner would be one of the best squaters I have ever heard of and has crazy legs too. He double my reps with the same weight (that was his challenge)
Does this build better quads???

tribal
04-17-2009, 03:13 AM
This may or may not have been posted before,
But was just wondering on what everyone thought of high reps? I understand there maybe different ideas on different muscle groups, i guess i was refering to legs in particular.
My training partner (who has crazy legs) & I have have done some high rep squating lately for eg (true numbers- ass to the ground):
last week
set 1 Body wt (92kg) x 50
set 2 140kg x 12
set 3 160kg x 5

This week
100kg for 30
140kg x 15
160kg x 8

(sorry I didn't convert to pounds for some)

I would say my partner would be one of the best squaters I have ever heard of and has crazy legs too. He double my reps with the same weight (that was his challenge)
Does this build better quads???
seems like it did for you in only one workout

Tatyana
04-17-2009, 04:27 AM
Every now and then high volume/German volume is great.

The theory is that it will stimulate capillary bed and mitochondrial growth, laying the foundation for further muscle growth.

Frosty
04-17-2009, 10:23 AM
Quads are a funny muscle. Lots of mixed fibers in most people, which means they respond to a wide rep range. Low reps and heavy to stimulate the fast twitch fibers properly, and you can do mid reps and even high reps like 50 or more, or just getting the the leg press and going as heavy as you can without breaking tension on the muscles for 2 minutes. Plus since they're so big....it fucking hurts to train them hard, and it's a very mental game to do the higher reps to really stimulate them.

BigJD69
04-17-2009, 10:56 AM
High Reps over a period of time will assist your body in building more blood vessels which will give you more blood flow to that bodypart!

Frosty
04-17-2009, 11:07 AM
High Reps over a period of time will assist your body in building more blood vessels which will give you more blood flow to that bodypart!

And increase insulin sensitivity of the muscles, too!

chasebny
04-17-2009, 11:21 AM
Best thing for quads high volume wise, is taking a weight, say 135 lbs.

Do this for 10x10.

Next week, 6x15.

Next week, 5x20.

Next week, 4x25.

Then, 3x30, 2x50, and finally, though I doubt many have made it this far 1x100.

IanMazia
04-17-2009, 12:12 PM
...or just getting the the leg press and going as heavy as you can without breaking tension on the muscles for 2 minutes...

I recently started incorporating this style of workout for my quads, and it really helped stimulate growth more so than with an 8-10 rep scheme.

buster12
04-17-2009, 01:04 PM
Quads are a funny muscle. Lots of mixed fibers in most people, which means they respond to a wide rep range. Low reps and heavy to stimulate the fast twitch fibers properly, and you can do mid reps and even high reps like 50 or more, or just getting the the leg press and going as heavy as you can without breaking tension on the muscles for 2 minutes. Plus since they're so big....it fucking hurts to train them hard, and it's a very mental game to do the higher reps to really stimulate them.
completely agree with everything said here!:cool:

HeavyDutyGuy
04-17-2009, 02:09 PM

Good post. You can also do a set of squats with heavy weight for lower reps, say 6 to 10, then drop the weight and do a higher rep set- say 25 to 30 or more. This kills me when I do it.

NTBB
04-17-2009, 06:01 PM
Thanks for the posts everyone.
It definitely is a metal game from say 25 on. When i only got 220lbs for 30 i was pretty pissed that i let the head get the better of me. My head was telling me its hurting way too much for another 20 reps then racked. ahhh

Do anyone get a massive amount of lactic acid from anything over 20 reps? I literally can't bend my knees. Where as my partner has done crazy high reps training without the huge amount of lactic.
Is it just a conditioning thing? Or are there supps to assist?

Dan_Manslaughter
04-17-2009, 06:16 PM
20 rep squats (with a weight you would usually do 12 of) supersetted with 20 light pullovers will make you grow without a doubt. The trick is it has to be heavy and painful, and after those 12 reps you might need 3-4 deep breaths just to complete the next rep. I got some of the best gains of my life this winter doing them 3 times a week. They make everything grow. Just don't over do it. If your doing 20 rep squats all out 2-3 times a week you won't need much additional leg work except for calf work, and maybe a couple sets of hamstrings and quads. BUT the majority of your leg work will come from these puppies. Here's a more in depth article on it: http://www.leehayward.com/squats.htm