PDA

View Full Version : Women and Steroids: The Androgenous Zone!

huge285
04-17-2009, 03:01 AM
New article by LEIGH PENMAN on testosterone use in women! Transgender or Bodybuilder?

http://www.rxmuscle.com/the-women/217-women-and-steroids-the-androgenous-zone.html

Sistersteel
04-17-2009, 04:11 AM
Mesterlone is Proviron and not primo.

Other than that..I dont' know how I feel about this article.

lol

Very good read though.

In addition to the listed legit uses of scripted test to be discussed, please address testosterone as a form of HRT in postmenopausal women.

Thank you.

SS

Lee Penman
04-17-2009, 10:45 AM

lol

Very good read though.

In addition to the listed legit uses of scripted test to be discussed, please address testosterone as a form of HRT in postmenopausal women.

Thank you.

SS
Testosterone as therapy is coming next!

Lee Penman
04-17-2009, 11:09 AM

lol

Very good read though.

Thank you.

SS
By the way the brackets with Primo after my Mesterlone reference were not in my original document, they were edited in...I notice primo was spelt wrong too.

Sistersteel
04-17-2009, 03:02 PM
I read this article twice last night and it certainly was very thought provoking, Leigh. It has to be the most honest, raw approach on this matter that I have ever read or dared to write myself.

I was actually interested in hearing other women's opinions on it first but to my dismay, I seem to be the only one who has commented since the article was posted late last night. Though we discussed this topic in-depth, I suppose your approach was what stirred some uncomfortable feelings in me that left me in a turmoil of conflicting emotions. I was upset, sad, relieved and happy all at the same time. So I pondered on this matter and thought about how I could detach myself emotionally and give an unbiased opinion of your excellent write-up.

It got me thinking of how I openly admitted to really liking supplemental testosterone as a form of chemical enhancement. I assure you I am 110% comfortable in my sexuality and have never even remotely contemplated the thought of altering my gender. But, I was the one who first brought up that subject in the first place. In my line of work I have observed a broad spectrum of sexual behaviors that stray from the norm and it was a genuine interest in such people and a desire to relate that led my inquisitive mind to delve deeper into these matters and explore the theory of the cognitive development of sex role acquisition. I guess I did not expect you to base the entire write-up on that observation, though we touched on a wide variety of reasons as to why women use test in the first place. I was hoping the article would focus more on the physical attributes that women seek while on testosterone and not how the sport harbors women in a sexual identity crisis. Perhaps we could have focused more on the effects of hormonal changes on the female psyche which has led many women to question their sexuality rather than the other way around. That approach would have probably appealed to more women involved in sport rather than scare the life out of them. That is my humble opinion as a female athlete.

I personally love test but do not use it anymore because It made it hard for me to get in shape and I did not want to run AIs for fear of exacerbating a preexisting joint discomfort. As a strength athlete, test did nothing for my strength and hardly anything for recovery. It did not do anything for holding on to mass while dieting down that any other androgen or anabolic could not have done in its substitute. I certainly did not mind the fat redistribution though. I enjoyed running it, and was pleased with the results. So it served its purpose at the time.

My hair was thick and curly, my skin was soft and my nails grew long and pretty. I might have been overly confident (but despite that I remained humble) and a little added self confidence made it easier for me when I was on the platform competing. I am a very shy girl (contrary to what many might think) so the added mental edge was priceless. It made me realize the HUGE influence my frame of mind and self confidence had on my performance. Plus, I was in a pleasant mood most of the time and slept very well. I had trouble in both those aspects of my life which test seemed to alleviate without my having to resort to prescription meds to aid with my insomnia and my fluctuating moods.

Yes, the clitoral enlargement at certain doses was significant, BUT despite the fact that, yes, that is an irreversible side effect, my little man in the boat is no bigger than it was on var since I've stopped using it!
You've all heard my voice too. I cannot hold a tune anymore and cannot hit certain high notes, but the change was actually very subtle and certainly nothing I cannot live with. If anything, I sound more sultry which I certainly do not mind.

But I will tell you that running test did give me a glimpse of what it felt like hormonally to be a man. The confidence, the cool temperament, the nonchalant approach towards life and relationships..etc. Men are certainly sexually superior beings in their genetic and hormonal makeup, whereas women are far more complex creatures biologically because we are emotionally driven. It is absolutely fascinating.

I guess that is what I love most about my job, is it has given me a very deep understanding of the male psyche that I certainly have grown to appreciate. External factors have a large influence as well on molding people psychologically. That is how Identity and character are determined and that development gives birth to organized, moralized and critical rational thought. The subconscious molds individual psycho-sexual tendencies and behaviors, attracting people to different things. That is what gives rise to the controversy that results from reversing mother nature's assignment of gender specific traits and roles, making the distinction between feminine and masculine an entirely subjective matter, especially as it pertains to female bodybuilding.

Controversy leads to stereotyping, and that is why women with no desire to conform choose to explore their sexuality by venturing out of that comfort zone of what is socially acceptable or perceived as "right" or "wrong". For that, women are condemned for being bold and daring rather than commended.

That theory can help you comprehend why say some men might find a FBB attractive, whereas others might be repulsed at the mere thought of one. I personally find that women in touch with their masculine side make far better companions because they have a better understanding of a man's needs. Better companionship leads to stronger interpersonal bonding and lasting commitments. And from this stability stems contentment. Content individuals have a deeper sense of self awareness, and less resentments. Resentful feelings are the root of all stereotypes and judgmental attitudes.

I just have a lot of feelings about this subject and might have gone off on a tangent, so I so apologize. I was simply trying to put things in perspective. I find this intriguing and look forward to other women's feedback.

Thanks again Leigh. I rarely come across anything that I find quite this thought provoking with as long as I have been in this industry.

Respect,

SS

sassy69
04-17-2009, 06:07 PM
I saw the article posted just before I went to bed, but staying up to read was going to cost me some AM cardio... So just got a moment to read.

SS's above post gives some more context to the article. My feeling was that the context of using heavy doses of sustenon, and then leading into the gender reassignment aspect, I felt it was talking more about the FBBs of the 90s when the sport was exploring the outer edges & getting rewarded for it. These days that isn't so true. There are more designer drugs around and the whole "more feminine" thing has swung back to the conservative side. I'm not sure I can draw a line from gender reassignment to e.g. my pursuit of lifting and bodybuilding. I'd say I am probably more comfortable around men and that has been the general environment in which I grew up. I don't have any sisters, I have 2 brothers, I work in a male-dominated industry (software) and growing up in the 70s & 80s I did get some the last vestiges of the 'old school' thought that you can't do certain things because you're female. In fact the dean of the physics department in my first 2 yrs of college (he was an old codger) basically told me to my face that I'd never make it in physics because I was female. In fact, I graduated w/ two scholarships out of my department and have a lifetime membership in the Physics Honor Society (Sigma Pi Sigma). I was more of a geek in HS and, I suppose not fitting into the "cute cheerleader" category, I embraced my own personal strength and ability to compete things that were mostly male dominated. I happened to come across weight lifting by accident and just simply found that I loved it. I never really associated w/ being "manly", but rather just my own personal escape to explore my own outer limits and clear my brain. It has become a thing that provides me with structure and order in my life and is very simply a lifetime passion. I compete because it gives a specific goal to whatever I'm training and is a great social moment to mark all the work. Outside of that, I do get a kick out of blowing the stereotype of being a software dork and even just being female & being able to carry heavy stuff myself. IMO it just adds to my personal strength of personality, self-confidence and independence.

I think this article does make a point of calling out the reality of playing with male hormones, as illustrated by the extremes. AAS is not a "fat burner" or a free way to get quicky muscles for your next figure show. They are still male hormones that, in small doses, you can experience minimum side effects w/ some fairly dramatic changes in your physique / strength. But if you get caught up in it & decide to move from dabbling into the serious / continued use, it isn't far-fetched to see that you are now on the path towards the extreme. The continuum of sides / results is very individual, but it is also cumulative and dependent upon what you start throwing in your system You simply can't forget that the foundation of your "being" is driven by your own personal chemical makeup. Throwing off that balance w/ certain drugs can push you into alterations in your moods and other places you didn't expect because you were just interested in adding a little muscle.

Not sure if I was going off on my own tangent, but it is great that we are exploring all aspects of women & AAS. This series is looking at the medical use of testosterone for women, and in fact, the areas of breast cancer treatment, gender reassignment, some HRT and maybe things like treatment of wasting diseases are the only places where there is ANY research available on this topic. While everyone is running around looking for information to self-medicate for a competition, it is good to at least get the published stuff out there up for discussion. It is continue to be learning process, and at the end of the day, it is still your own personal experiment.

Sistersteel
04-17-2009, 06:17 PM
Great feedback sass!

Lee Penman
04-18-2009, 12:20 AM
Your input is, as always, extremely valuable. The whole...give women male hormone derivatives and see if it makes them question their sexuality is indeed fascinating. I agree this need to be explored...if anyone is willing to speak up!
Time to shake this up, don't you think....as the infamous Rick Wayne used to say..."enquiring minds want to know!"

Sistersteel
04-18-2009, 12:38 AM
Your input is, as always, extremely valuable. The whole...give women male hormone derivatives and see if it makes them question their sexuality is indeed fascinating. I agree this need to be explored...if anyone is willing to speak up!
Time to shake this up, don't you think....as the infamous Rick Wayne used to say..."enquiring minds want to know!"

Women have the option of posting anonymously. Perhaps that will encourage the more seasoned users to share their experiences. I have a very dear friend whose insight would be invaluable to your research. She is a highly educated transgendered female bodybuilder who is currently in transition and undergoing hormonal therapy . Of course, her identity and pertinent information regarding private matters would be of the utmost discretion if she agrees to an interview.

SS

Lee Penman
04-18-2009, 09:55 AM
Women have the option of posting anonymously. Perhaps that will encourage the more seasoned users to share their experiences. I have a very dear friend whose insight would be invaluable to your research. She is a highly educated transgendered female bodybuilder who is currently in transition and undergoing hormonal therapy . Of course, her identity and pertinent information regarding private matters would be of the utmost discretion if she agrees to an interview.

SS
Have her e mail me at [email protected] if she wants to share her experiences. Her identity will not be revealed either in the article or outside of the article - I took the RX oath of silence!

GirlyMuscle
04-18-2009, 10:10 AM
Just popped in to say I did read the article and enjoyed it. Very thought provoking. I don't have much else to say since I have no experience and after reading the article I can tell you I won't have an experience in the future. Not that I have a problem with anyone who does use test. I just know it's not for me.

Lee Penman
04-19-2009, 12:00 AM
Just popped in to say I did read the article and enjoyed it. Very thought provoking. I don't have much else to say since I have no experience and after reading the article I can tell you I won't have an experience in the future. Not that I have a problem with anyone who does use test. I just know it's not for me.
Thanks as always for your feedback. My intention is always to promote discussion and provoke thoughts. Hormones are fascinating things and I feel as female bodybuilders we are more in tune as to how the effect us physically and psychologically. The only thing is, this has never been openly discussed...until now. RX finally gives women a platform to freely discuss these issues and I am merely a 'button pusher' when it comes to triggering responses.