PDA

View Full Version : How many vegetables do you have each day and what is one serving considered?

SadFatty
04-17-2009, 02:09 PM
I'm trying to have at least 4.

I eat lots of carrots, celery, cucumber, yellow and green beans, radishes, and peppers. I don't really like salad leaves or broccoli. I was wondering if having a bowl of green beans is sufficient enough to get the "greens".

I also avoid pea and corn because I understand they are high in cals and starchy and not the best veggie choices.

Is half a cup of raw veggies one serving? Or a full cup? If it is half a cup than I am probably getting 6-8 servings each day.

SadFatty
04-20-2009, 01:51 PM
I just thought I might post once more to remind people of this post.

stephaniewicked
04-20-2009, 02:43 PM
Currently, I'm eating four 3-4oz servings per day... it's what fits into my diet plan. There may be mixed responses here, depending on people's diets and if they're bulking or dieting. It sounds like you're on the right track though.

dvsness
04-20-2009, 03:30 PM
Generally 2 cups of fibrous veggies/day.

SadFatty
04-20-2009, 03:41 PM
Generally 2 cups of fibrous veggies/day.

I have to be honest....that doesn't seem like alot. Isn't 5 the recommended serving? Also why don't you eat non-fibrous? But yet you have a nice tight body.

stephaniewicked
04-20-2009, 04:18 PM
I think I recall from a previous thread that your goal is to lose weight, right? Personally, I wouldn't worry about serving sizes as much, as long as you're getting veggies in your diet in decent amounts. It may be different for different people.

For example, today I attended a seminar at work held by a local wellness center. The focus of the talk had to do with macronutrients and the RD giving the talk stated such facts, including how 45-60% of your daily diet should come from carbs and only 10-25% from protein. Maybe that works for the general population, but I wouldn't eat that many carbs every single day or have my protein that low.

It depends on what your goals are and mine would not be met if I stuck to those percentages. I would say eat your veggies, stick to lean proteins and train consistently and you should start seeing results! :)

SadFatty
04-20-2009, 04:23 PM
In my head I always think if I'm not getting enough veggies that I am hurting myself on the "inside". I know I can get a nice lean body without them but what about the health benefits of them?

stephaniewicked
04-20-2009, 04:30 PM
I have to be honest....that doesn't seem like alot. Isn't 5 the recommended serving? Also why don't you eat non-fibrous? But yet you have a nice tight body.

I don't mean to answer for her, but there are many factors that play a role in developing a physique like hers... eating a diet high in protein, low-moderate or cycled carbs (mostly low on the glycemic index), healthy fats, a good resistance training and cardio program, genetics, time spent building muscle and dieting to strip away the fat, etc... It's a commitment. You can slowly take steps towards that goal simply by beginning to apply these principles though. One day at a time...

stephaniewicked
04-20-2009, 04:34 PM
I'm not a dietitian, so I can't speak with authority on this, but of course there are lots of health benefits... vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, etc... I don't think you're hurting yourself by not consuming as much of them as other people do. If you like them, eat them. It can't hurt you, as long as your diet is balanced with forms of protein and healthy fats, as well.

TigerUpperCut
05-06-2009, 11:29 AM
i eat 2 cups of broccoli twice

RDFinders
05-06-2009, 01:29 PM
saerving sizes - cooked 1/2 cup, raw and leafy veggies 1 cup

so the recommendation is 5 a day - 2 servings veggies and 3 servings fruit. mind you, this is recommend for your average jane/john to get them to eat more veggies and not feel overwhelmed by the portion size. 1/2 c is nothing. i usually have 1-1.5 cup cooked at a time. leafy veggies - an entire bag of salad is a serving to me.

dvsness
05-06-2009, 03:38 PM

Bulking, I don't have a lot of room for to many veggies in my diet. I have a ton of Pro/Cho/Fat to get in and veggies are generally fairly filling for me. If I'm not full, I have no issues with eating more veggies. On the weekends offseason, I am a bit more lax with my diet and will eat whatever I choose once my protein requirements are met. This is generally when more interesting/non-fibrous veggies are seen.

During prep, 2 cups of fibrous is where it remains. Between that and the anti-oxidants and vitamins I take, I feel I am fine in regards to micronutrients. Calorie and carbs are kept to tight tallies while cutting.

AussieRugbyPlayer
05-07-2009, 01:02 AM
Ok, this may be a dumb question, but I have always wondered.

We you guys say two cups, is that two cups stuffed down to pack as much into the cup as possiable or is it just losely thrown in. I mean you can get loads more broccoli into a cup if you squash it in.

Thanks

tammyp
05-07-2009, 07:38 AM
i eat veggies at 3 meals a day, 1 being a mondo spinich/lettuce salad. i never measure them, just eye ball. but i bet with salad i get 5-6 cups of veggies daily.

fitcorps
05-07-2009, 12:56 PM
Bulking, I don't have a lot of room for to many veggies in my diet. I have a ton of Pro/Cho/Fat to get in and veggies are generally fairly filling for me. If I'm not full, I have no issues with eating more veggies. On the weekends offseason, I am a bit more lax with my diet and will eat whatever I choose once my protein requirements are met. This is generally when more interesting/non-fibrous veggies are seen.

During prep, 2 cups of fibrous is where it remains. Between that and the anti-oxidants and vitamins I take, I feel I am fine in regards to micronutrients. Calorie and carbs are kept to tight tallies while cutting.

Good post. I think it's a bit more difficult for women to consume HIGH amounts of fibrous vegetables, especially when bulking. They just do'nt seem to have the stomach room. I POUND veggies (green beans, broccoli, asparagus, cucs). During prep I have them almost ever meal other than pre and post. Off season, I"m to the point now where I can only eat them about 3 times per day and I have been going with 2/3 to 1 cup per meal.