PDA

View Full Version : Feeling like death warmed over while prepping

HeavyDutyGuy
04-17-2009, 04:38 PM
Twice this week, on Tues and again yesterday- funny enough on cardio days, I came home from doing 50 min of fasted cardio, and the rest of the day was dragging and not feeling well, to the point of feeling exhausted and ill. Even a few high protein/med fat meals didnt help yesterday, though they did on Tues. The morning cardio sessions followed tough workouts the evening before, but did have 8 hours sleep and some downtime in between. Does this happen to anyone else? Maybe I'm just getting sick..I dont know.

Tatyana
04-17-2009, 04:58 PM
That is comp prep.

:)

HeavyDutyGuy
04-17-2009, 05:21 PM
That is comp prep.

:)

Meanie! Lol, maybe this means I will get totally shredded this year.

Tatyana
04-17-2009, 05:25 PM
LOL!

Sorry, that is what my first coach always told me when I moaned about being tired.

On a more serious note, what type of diet are you doing?

HeavyDutyGuy
04-17-2009, 05:36 PM
I was using Daves diet, but I am modifying it now like this. I added two cups oatmeal and a banana to the first two shakes- not each one, but Total. I make them in the blender. My other meal so far was 4 whole eggs with 6 additional egg whites. Feeling a little better. I'm calculating that gave me 175 grams protein, 130 grams carbs. I will have one meal of 9 oz tuna, one of 9 oz chicken with veggies and one shake- whey only. That should put me in good standing with my macros. This will be on the 3 training days. I will eliminate the banana and 1 cup of oatmeal on cardio days and off days. I think that might be the ticket. Sound ok? And you're not a meanie, lol.

Bob Smith Jr.
04-17-2009, 05:40 PM
bro if i were you i wouldn't modify dave's diet. I would follow it EXACTLY or just do something completely different. I'm doing his diet and it's def. harder than what I did last year (high protein, low carbs, low fat) BUT I also look considerably better. Just remember, if it was easy, everyone would walk around ripped.

Scoobysnacks
04-17-2009, 08:14 PM
Im of a differing opinion, contest prep is hard and their will be days, but your diet sounds inadequate if you are feeling this a lot. Im getting shredded and feel fine 90% of the time. I have more energy when I prep, but I start far out and eat carbs into the show.

Hard and bit tired sometimes, yet, death warmed over and its not the final few weeks, you are doing something wrong IMHO.

Ss

Bob Smith Jr.
04-17-2009, 09:25 PM
dont get me wrong, i don't think you should be dying at like 10, 8 weeks out. but once you get closer and closer to the show, if your're not feeling a bit tired and out of it, i think you're doing something wrong. For me, i start to feel it at the 6 week mark, which for me is tomorrow! so time to have some funn... :)

thepump
04-17-2009, 11:58 PM
bro if i were you i wouldn't modify dave's diet. I would follow it EXACTLY or just do something completely different. I'm doing his diet and it's def. harder than what I did last year (high protein, low carbs, low fat) BUT I also look considerably better. Just remember, if it was easy, everyone would walk around ripped.

I would definitely have to agree with you. Dave is where is today because he knows his shit. It's not meant to be modified or changed in any way.

That's probably why your feeling the way you are. But it's also part of contest prep and pushing yourself and making it past the weeks, days, hours, and minutes feeling like total shit getting on stage and being the shit the day of the show.:cool:

The Big Sexy
04-18-2009, 12:08 AM
Im of a differing opinion, contest prep is hard and their will be days, but your diet sounds inadequate if you are feeling this a lot. Im getting shredded and feel fine 90% of the time. I have more energy when I prep, but I start far out and eat carbs into the show.

Hard and bit tired sometimes, yet, death warmed over and its not the final few weeks, you are doing something wrong IMHO.

Ss

Agree with this - there are few times I feel like death warmed over (or what was it? LOL) - usually if I don't get a good nights sleep + low carbs (I don't do Dave's diet - but carb cycling)

ironwarrior22
04-18-2009, 01:22 AM
Following Dave's diet I never have felt bad. Most of the time I feel better than when I'm in offseason. I'm curious if your taking juice plus or another veg and fruit extract. For me the juice plus really makes me feel excellent and healthy.

Frosty
04-18-2009, 01:29 AM
Twice this week, on Tues and again yesterday- funny enough on cardio days, I came home from doing 50 min of fasted cardio, and the rest of the day was dragging and not feeling well, to the point of feeling exhausted and ill. Even a few high protein/med fat meals didnt help yesterday, though they did on Tues. The morning cardio sessions followed tough workouts the evening before, but did have 8 hours sleep and some downtime in between. Does this happen to anyone else? Maybe I'm just getting sick..I dont know.

Try taking in a lot of extra salt. When I sweat a ton from cardio and lifting I can get really weak and feel terrible because I'm not getting in enough salt. A few good doses of lots of sea salt like mixed in with low cal chicken broth usually gets me back going strong. Might be worth it to try...see if it works. Won't hurt anything.

I also notice my pulse is well below 100 when doing cardio when this happens. I get terribly weak feeling.

sassy69
04-18-2009, 02:11 AM
Yea, if you're following a keto approach, you just unketo'd it. So that puts you back to a standard diet w/ carbs and then you may be coming up short on carbs since you're no longer taking advantage of ketosis. THere may be other tweaks you can do w/ more fats, more proteins, modified workouts, something. Ask Dave! Its his diet!

HeavyDutyGuy
04-18-2009, 02:25 AM
Thanks for all the input! Much appreciated. I modified my diet to be more like Dorians diet that I read on his site.. Since my training style is similiar, it seemed logical. I think Scooby was right, I just needed more nutrients. Not calories- kept those about the same, but carbs and micros. I was feeling better after the add, enough to train hard and do 20 min of cardio afterwards. Still feel ok a few hours later. It just vrings home the lesson that we each have diiferent metabolisms, and we have to make the adjustments that fit us.

militantmuscle
04-18-2009, 02:55 AM
Thanks for all the input! Much appreciated. I modified my diet to be more like Dorians diet that I read on his site.. Since my training style is similiar, it seemed logical. I think Scooby was right, I just needed more nutrients. Not calories- kept those about the same, but carbs and micros. I was feeling better after the add, enough to train hard and do 20 min of cardio afterwards. Still feel ok a few hours later. It just vrings home the lesson that we each have diiferent metabolisms, and we have to make the adjustments that fit us.

I wouldn't add carbs to every day, but do a refeed. You shouldn't feel that bad all the time, just near the point where your body is almost fully depleted. How many days in a row do you take in extremely low carbs?

Bob Smith Jr.
04-18-2009, 04:40 AM
ya have that cheat meal every sunday night or w/e and make sure it's a CHEAT meal. I mean I went to a frigging buffet last sunday and i really tore that place up. 5 days later, I'm leaner and harder, so really enjoy that cheat meal, it helps! good luck!

Ken "Skip" Hill
04-18-2009, 06:04 AM
Try SkipLoading. : )

Yes, shameless plug but I will sleep just fine.

Skip

the mighty stu
04-18-2009, 08:20 AM
I really just started 'dragging ass' myself at 3 weeks out (last week), especially on my low carb days (I'm cycling carbs), when I do my intervals. Then, amazingly, I have a high carb day, and want to run around like a little kid on crack -lol.

S

HeavyDutyGuy
04-18-2009, 09:36 PM
I really just started 'dragging ass' myself at 3 weeks out (last week), especially on my low carb days (I'm cycling carbs), when I do my intervals. Then, amazingly, I have a high carb day, and want to run around like a little kid on crack -lol.

S

Lol! I wouldn't mind at 3 weeks, but 13 1/2 is a long time. I'm cycling carbs now, 150 on training days (MWF), 75 on cardio only days (T Th Sat) and Sunday. Protein keeping at 300, dropped fats by 25 grams to keep calories the same.

Frosty
04-19-2009, 12:27 AM
Lol! I wouldn't mind at 3 weeks, but 13 1/2 is a long time. I'm cycling carbs now, 150 on training days (MWF), 75 on cardio only days (T Th Sat) and Sunday. Protein keeping at 300, dropped fats by 25 grams to keep calories the same.

Might be a reason you feel like crap. Just going like a straight keto with a cheat meal once a week plus PWO only carbs will help keep you in fat burning mode better so you're not low on carbs and feeling shitty, and the PWO carbs will give you fuel for hard workouts. Just a thought.

Scoobysnacks
04-19-2009, 08:05 PM

Thats really low for a guy your size at 13.5 weeks, you are gonna stall yourself out. I would HIGHLY consider a refeed day in there. Look into Skiploading or at least taking your highest carb day (150) and doubling that on leg day or something.

Otherwise you will continuet to feel like death and will have to go so low to keep losing that you will stall.

This is my opinion anyways.

Ss

slackadjuster
04-19-2009, 09:27 PM
Try taking in a lot of extra salt. When I sweat a ton from cardio and lifting I can get really weak and feel terrible because I'm not getting in enough salt. A few good doses of lots of sea salt like mixed in with low cal chicken broth usually gets me back going strong. Might be worth it to try...see if it works. Won't hurt anything.

I also notice my pulse is well below 100 when doing cardio when this happens. I get terribly weak feeling.This happened to me the other day. I was wondering why I couldn't get my heart rate up. Switched from canned chicken to baked chicken a couple of days before.

MashkaNY
04-22-2009, 10:16 AM
im on dave's diet and only time id feel exactly like this i figured out is when i was getting less than 7 hrs sleep. and on his diet my body doesnt react right to caffeine... before id get 5 hrs sleep or so then pop some caffeine and I would be fine.. on his diet i can take caffeine (to work out), and feel good for a bit... but then you crash BAD... like terrible... and again w no sleep i cant even pick up my limbs.

oh and i was not putting salt in my food like you're supposed to, just herbs and spices. so i started eating salt, just on its own, or drinking powerade zero, that wakes you up a lot.

Frosty
04-22-2009, 12:32 PM
im on dave's diet and only time id feel exactly like this i figured out is when i was getting less than 7 hrs sleep. and on his diet my body doesnt react right to caffeine... before id get 5 hrs sleep or so then pop some caffeine and I would be fine.. on his diet i can take caffeine (to work out), and feel good for a bit... but then you crash BAD... like terrible... and again w no sleep i cant even pick up my limbs.

oh and i was not putting salt in my food like you're supposed to, just herbs and spices. so i started eating salt, just on its own, or drinking powerade zero, that wakes you up a lot.

Good point on the sleep. Aside from diet and training, sleep is the most important thing especially during contest prep. 8 hours of continuous sleep is ideal. Melatonin cream, 5-HTP, magnesium chelates, glycine, GABA...whatever you need along with good sleep habits. I can't wait for ALRI's Comatose to come out to try, though...

Lack of sleep when dieting hard and training hard will quickly deplete neurotransmitters, things like serotonin, decrease testosterone and insulin sensitivity, and of course worsen mood because of neurotransmitter depletion and increase ghrelin which will increase hunger cravings. Higher ghrelin + depleted neurotransmitters like serotonin is recipe for disaster on a strict contest diet.

Frosty
04-22-2009, 12:37 PM

By the way, this is strictly constructive commentary here. How are the chest skinfolds coming along? Meaning are you getting rid of the boobies. No offense at all because when I carry fat I tend to get boobies, too, and I've read a good amount and played with things to help reduce it if that is still an area of weakness.

HeavyDutyGuy
04-26-2009, 05:49 PM
It was a bug,(48 hour kind) combined with feeling overtrained- depleted. I still am a bit tired, but that's normal for the amount of activity. I cut out a few warmup sets, bumped up calories slightly (added 1 whole egg to morning meal and more veggies to salad in evening one) and am increasing cardio week by week while intensifying and shortening my workouts as I go.

billytrainer
05-13-2009, 10:09 AM
how are you feeling now? i know its been a few weeks since an update. no one mentioned the potential for adrenal fatigue, which is common as well..

The Thinker
05-13-2009, 12:01 PM

I also notice my pulse is well below 100 when doing cardio when this happens. I get terribly weak feeling.

This is really interesting as I was struggling to get my heart rate up a few days ago. I generally add Sea Salt to a couple of meals per day but I don't measure it. Is there a recommended amount I should be taking each day? I've also never considered the low cal chicken broth so I will try that too.

Frosty
05-13-2009, 12:03 PM
Sometimes your body really needs a break and you should reduce the number of sets you do by 1/3 to 1/2 while maintaining intensity (the actual weight used). You have to listen to your body to know when this is really needed, because if you don't listen you can end up screwing up pretty badly if you try to be hardcore and just ignore and push through.

Adrenal fatigue can be possible and this can be related to never backing off weights when needed, poor sleep, not enough salt, and other things.

Sleep is vital on a contest diet. 8 hours per night without waking up is the goal.

Frosty
05-13-2009, 12:05 PM
This is really interesting as I was struggling to get my heart rate up a few days ago. I generally add Sea Salt to a couple of meals per day but I don't measure it. Is there a recommended amount I should be taking each day? I've also never considered the low cal chicken broth so I will try that too.

It's easy to tell if the problem is as simple as too little salt. Have 2-3 cups of salt broth early in the day. If lack of salt is the problem, you'll notice a quick difference in how you feel and your heart rate during cardio.

I remember once I was dieting and I felt super weak and HR was low, and I instinctively went to the store and got some V-8 and salted it....I felt better after the first cup.

HeavyDutyGuy
05-15-2009, 02:04 AM
I'm fine now. As much energy as you could expect on keto while averaging 7 hours of cardio a week plus workouts. I did add some salt- mostly on my eggs, and adding a few pickle slices to my tuna. Upped fats slightly, mostly in the form of more red meat, and natural pb with omega 3's.

raging pitbull
06-08-2009, 11:51 PM
im less then 3 weeks out and im emotional and i can barely walk up a flight of steps because of excessive weakness. contest prep is so damn hard! i feel like im goin through torture! i already had a few mental breakdowns in the past few weeks! i hope that no body thinks that a certain diet will be easy and they will get good results! CONTEST PREP= EXTREME! COMPETITION= EXTREME! standard dieting is fluffy but not contest prep!

HeavyDutyGuy
06-13-2009, 12:24 AM
im less then 3 weeks out and im emotional and i can barely walk up a flight of steps because of excessive weakness. contest prep is so damn hard! i feel like im goin through torture! i already had a few mental breakdowns in the past few weeks! i hope that no body thinks that a certain diet will be easy and they will get good results! CONTEST PREP= EXTREME! COMPETITION= EXTREME! standard dieting is fluffy but not contest prep!

Great post! I totaly agree! I hear ya on the mood stuff, I'm 5 weeks out, on a tight keto diet, training my ass off and doing over 10 hours of cardio a week. Not always conducive to being up and happy all the time.

Scoobysnacks
06-13-2009, 12:44 AM
Great post! I totaly agree! I hear ya on the mood stuff, I'm 5 weeks out, on a tight keto diet, training my ass off and doing over 10 hours of cardio a week. Not always conducive to being up and happy all the time.

Just curious are you taking a refeed day? A whole day to eat some carbs and get the metabolism going again so you keep progressing. Me personally the one cheat meal is not ENOUGH by a long shot.

HeavyDutyGuy
06-13-2009, 12:49 AM
Scooby, no I'm following Dave's protocol virtually to the letter. I just didn't want to leave anything to chance, have no excuses, ya know? In 5 weeks, I will be having a 3 day refeed, lol!