PDA

View Full Version : Bringing up mid and lower traps

Formula94
04-18-2009, 03:09 AM
I hit shrugs from different angles and with different grips, but what do you do to really bring up your lower and mid traps?

militantmuscle
04-18-2009, 03:20 AM
Rows and pulldowns.

Try performing dumbbell rows on a decline bench, with your head facing the upper end, it will emphasize the middle and lower traps.

Formula94
04-18-2009, 03:24 AM
Do you keep the DB in a neutral (lateral) position or in a normal overhand (perpendicular to body) position? When I do DB rows I usually keep my hand in a neutral position.

militantmuscle
04-18-2009, 03:30 AM
I have always performed one-arm dumbbell rows in a pistol grip (what I think you refer to as normal overhand) position. As far as the range of motion, make sure it is comfortable and perform the rowing movement in a natural fashion.

Ninja Loco
04-18-2009, 03:42 AM
LOL......... I almost slapped myself in the face reading the title. Then I saw Formula was the OP and I knew exactly what HE was talking about, LMAO.

Yeah man what Elite said. Except to feel it in my lower traps I have to be slightly higher than parallel to the floor. When I get to the top, I give it that extra squeez that makes it feel like you're adding an inch or two to the rep. Know what I mean? Except doing it this way I cant go too heavy or all I feel is the lat working then. Like noramly I can row with 140-160 DB, I have to go 110 to feel that, and I have to go stupid slow.

Another trick I do on BB or machine shrugs is to tilt my head BACK. I cant explain why but when I do it this way I just feel it right there where you're talking about.

Try them out.... worst that can happen is you dont feel what we feel. But I dont think that will happen.

Frosty
04-18-2009, 10:01 AM
Pullup variations, pulldowns, and t-bar type rows. BUT, there's one thing I'd like to add...

You have to know how to flex these muscles to make sure you work them hard. For rows more than any other exercise guys often have no mind-muscle connection and just do the motion, and end up not working the right muscles or not fully engaging the right muscles. I don't even know how to describe flexing the mid and lower traps properly, but it takes practice, and then doing the lifts as heavy as you can while still properly flexing them with full ROM on the lift. Might have to go lighter if you don't do it properly right now. You gotta go to full extension to get a good stretch, and then fully flex the muscles at the top of the lift and even hold it for a moment. This will properly activate those muscles, even if you're just doing shrug motions on an incline bench with DBs or on a t-bar machine.

Another "shrug" that can help you get used to using lower traps is using a pulldown machine. Just sit in it with arms fully extended, then "shrug" your shoulder girdle down and squeeze with your lower traps. Then let it back up and repeat...this is just using your shoulders. This might help get a good feel for the lower traps.

Pick a lift and do it properly and do 10+ sets heavy...see where it gets you sore in a couple days so you know what that specific lift worked exactly.

Formula94
04-18-2009, 04:23 PM
Thanks guys, I'll give these a couple of workouts and see how they feel.

TPT
04-18-2009, 05:23 PM
lower traps upwardly rotates, adducts, and depresses the scapuale. so many of the recommended exercises may or may not target lower traps. your best bet is to try an exercise where you elevate your arms somewhere between the sagital and scapula plane. sort of like you are "flying."

you can position yourself in one of those machines for hyperextension and use dumbells to elevate your arms. once you reach towards end range (i.e., about 180 degrees of humeral elevation) -isometriclly contract your scapulae to adduct/retract. now this will target lower traps.

Suzy Brown
04-18-2009, 05:36 PM
you can position yourself in one of those machines for hyperextension and use dumbells to elevate your arms. once you reach towards end range (i.e., about 180 degrees of humeral elevation) -isometriclly contract your scapulae to adduct/retract. now this will target lower traps.

So get on the back extension rack/ bench, with some dumbells in hand, and then straighten/ stand up, do a "Superman," arms up over head, but drop my shoulders down away from the ears?

TPT
04-18-2009, 09:57 PM
So get on the back extension rack/ bench, with some dumbells in hand, and then straighten/ stand up, do a "Superman," arms up over head, but drop my shoulders down away from the ears?

yes! like the "superman" exercise. people usually automatically depress the scapulae when the arms are fully overhead. though performing as you described is a great variation. trying this in prone without weights can be difficult for many as well. we inadvertantly use lower traps during anterior lateral. the key is to fully elevate and breifly maintain an isometric contraction at end range.