PDA

View Full Version : In The Trenches with Sheena O., Ifbb Pro

Sheena Ohlig
07-30-2012, 11:36 PM
Hi Everybody,

I'll be posting my prep as I transition into competing as an IFBB Pro, making my pro debut this year. I earned my card at the Jr USA Championships back in May of this year in Charleston, SC. What a crazy, awesome, mind blowing series of events that brought me to this point. It still feels surreal but I'm so proud of this accomplishment and can't wait for what's next. I've had so much support and encouragement along the way that I wanted to be able to give back and provide insight into my prep along with feedback for any questions or comments from other competitors and or fans of the sport. I look forward to posting and reading feedback so holla at ya girl!!... i'll holla back ;)

so here's the run down going into prep

12wks out
Weight 178lbs
Ht 5'7"
Chest 38"
Biceps 14.5"
Waist 32"
Thighs 35"
Calves 15.5"

my goal during this time between Jr. USAs and now was to develop in the areas i received the most feedback about (to my surprise)
*build on size (legs, shoulders, arms)
*improve lats
*sharpen conditioning

I was happy actually at the suggestion to put on size, I was sorta flat going into Jr.s I realize now that i didn't peak as well as i should have and may have been a little too depleted stepping on stage....and my biggest task prepping for show was running down my legs so to hear that I can let up on that...WHEWWWWW!! WOOOOHOOOOO!!! as a former track and basketball player I actually happen to love training legs and I happen to have the gift and curse you could call it that it doesn't seem to take much for my legs to blow up so while that could be a good thing i think i also have to be careful to not get too crazy with the leg work

Today I hit a.m. cardio and legs this afternoon. I practice pre-exhaustion technique with drop sets to round out each exercise...I have a couple things i tend to focus on when doing legs and that's higher volume with moderate weight and nice controlled rhythmic reps for definition, density and conditioning of the muscles i'm working and then being that a tight v-taper is super important to the aesthetic of WP I try not to do too many power lifts i want to keep my torso long and lean.

I'll do my best to get training footage and other videos/pics up to keep this thread from becoming a personal dissertation!! Please feel free to comment or lend feedback. I also look forward to participating and engaging in the forums as much as I can going forward.

check out my Spotlight Interview here http://forums.rxmuscle.com/showthread.php?71364-Spotlight-On-IFBB-Women-s-Physique-Pro-Sheena-Ohlig

Thanks!!
Sheena O.

The Prodigy
07-31-2012, 03:23 AM
Welcome to RX GIrl!!!!!!!!!!! Glad your here! Can't wait to follow along!!!

Sunnyday
08-01-2012, 01:28 PM
Welcome! Following along. :)

Laurie Schnelle
08-02-2012, 06:54 AM
hey girl congrats. hope to see you at a show

athleticvanessa
08-02-2012, 07:33 AM
yipeee! Sheena! My girl! Welcome to the threads!
I will be prepping during the same time so you and I (and all the other divas) can keep each other on our toes!
From what I remember when I saw you in person at Team U, besides resembling Laila Ali, was that I can tell you were working on putting on some good quality mass! Can't wait to see the finally head turning package!!! Good luck!

sweetchks
08-02-2012, 11:57 AM
So glad you decided to start a journal!! I met you at the NY Mets where you took the physique overall. I am excited to read about your journey to your first pro show!! DO WORK GIRL and best of luck :)

Sheena Ohlig
08-02-2012, 01:01 PM
hey girl congrats. hope to see you at a show

Thanks girl, I'm excited and can't wait to hit the pro stage. Kill it in Tampa!!

Sheena Ohlig
08-02-2012, 01:04 PM
yipeee! Sheena! My girl! Welcome to the threads!
I will be prepping during the same time so you and I (and all the other divas) can keep each other on our toes!
From what I remember when I saw you in person at Team U, besides resembling Laila Ali, was that I can tell you were working on putting on some good quality mass! Can't wait to see the finally head turning package!!! Good luck!

lol thanks boo!! Yeah girl I'm trying to keep focused on building without getting anxious about the weight and short cutting to the diet phase :-/ it's mentally draining but I gotta trust in the prep plan and stick it out ya know...I'm excited to post about it and look forward to the motivation it will bring... We'll all keep one another fired up so let's GET IT!!

Sheena Ohlig
08-02-2012, 01:10 PM
So glad you decided to start a journal!! I met you at the NY Mets where you took the physique overall. I am excited to read about your journey to your first pro show!! DO WORK GIRL and best of luck :)

Thanks for the support!! I look forward to everyone's feedback and getting to know you all more as competitors and lovers of the sport...#GOTIME

curvygirl
08-02-2012, 03:50 PM
WooooooHoooooo! Sheena's in the House! The RX Girl House! I am so happy you will be keeping a training journal!

I also love to train legs in a similar style. I like going higher volume with controlled solid reps...rather than being fearful of trying to push
something too heavy and sacrificing good form. I am in that mind/muscle camp...seeking good contractions, squeezes and burns! Be sure to
share some details when ya can. Look forward to learning new things from you.

So excited to see what comes next with you! Which pro show are you prepping for?

Keep on killing it girl! You rock!

Sheena Ohlig
08-02-2012, 09:43 PM
whewww!! week 12 is pretty much in the books!! I started off with legs on monday and just feeling a sense of relief today!! thats how you know you killed it!! today was a solid shoulder/biceps workout and i'm excited about the progress in strength and size gains.

as far as the routines are concerned i tend to train instinctually...but for the most part crank out my larger muscle groups early in the week...
Legs/lower back
Back
Chest/tris
Shoulders/bis
(abs every other day)but it switches up every now and then just to keep it fresh...i try not to weigh myself too often as i like to take my queues from how i look and feel

i plan to do more research on training methods (i noticed a thread here in the RxForums on the different schools of thought so i'm excited to visit that one). I have a good feeling i'll gain alot of insight and it can only help considering i'm doing my diet and training myself...i also want to look into a true prep coach because i like the idea of not really having to do the strategy and planning...i'm sure it'll save me a heck of a lot of mental energy when it comes crunch time and i dont mind admitting i'm a long way from knowing all the tricks of the trade so i'd like to work with a real experienced coach...

Elise, I'm also from the school of high intensity/volume but have been spending a bit more energy and focus on lifting heavy, but even with that i kind of intertwine the high volume into that strategy...5-7sets of 7-10reps...slow controlled contraction...its all about mind muscle connection baby!!

My diet is getting off to a strong start...managing macros, with higher carb intake right now to maintain my strength gains without sacrificing muscle and of course i'm doing a.m. fasted cardio

here's a quick question...are any of you familiar with intermittent fasting?? I'm reading up on it and it may be something I incorporate for contest prep.

thanks for your feedback!!

sweetchks
08-03-2012, 07:07 AM
Sheena - if you are looking for a prep coach check out Jason Theobald aka Scooby Prep. Him and his wife both prep athletes for shows, they are on point but also very caring and very invested in their client's success. My husband and I use him and the changes that have happened for me are amazing. I also hired John Meadows to do my training routines - Mountain Dog Training.... check it out. One of the most awesomely intense things I have done ever. I am doing a 12 week contest prep protocol called "creeping death" - lots of volume lots of pre-exhaust. Have a great day!

Sheena Ohlig
08-06-2012, 10:41 AM
Sheena - if you are looking for a prep coach check out Jason Theobald aka Scooby Prep. Him and his wife both prep athletes for shows, they are on point but also very caring and very invested in their client's success. My husband and I use him and the changes that have happened for me are amazing. I also hired John Meadows to do my training routines - Mountain Dog Training.... check it out. One of the most awesomely intense things I have done ever. I am doing a 12 week contest prep protocol called "creeping death" - lots of volume lots of pre-exhaust. Have a great day!

"creeping death" ?!? lol love it!! Thanks for your feedback, I'll check him out...I know the time is just gonna fly by ...11wks will soon be 8 then 5 then next thing you know show time is right on yo' a$$!! lol

Im actually shooting to be show ready a couple wks early though in order to crush a photo shoot I'm booking before the debut...it's def #GOTIME

sweetchks
08-06-2012, 08:51 PM
"creeping death" ?!? lol love it!! Thanks for your feedback, I'll check him out...I know the time is just gonna fly by ...11wks will soon be 8 then 5 then next thing you know show time is right on yo' a$$!! lol

Im actually shooting to be show ready a couple wks early though in order to crush a photo shoot I'm booking before the debut...it's def #GOTIME

You won't be disappointed - he is mad intense. I am at 12 weeks myself and already I feel like the clock is ticking and I am running to catch it. Keep on keeping on girl...

Sheena Ohlig
08-07-2012, 08:38 PM
hey peeps, so today was a killer leg day...tuesday truth day!! and the leg routine I cranked out was the TRUTH!! I turned out 30min fasted cardio this a.m. I've actually started utilizing the speed rope instead of pounding the pavement for a run or making an extra trip to the gym to jump on an elliptical or stairmaster or whatever...

i adopted a keto rotation going into Jr. USA's and it worked like a charm...it was a last minute tactic at that time but it worked like a charm...the only draw back is that i think i played it a bit safe and was too conservative on the carb up so i went in a bit flat to the show...

this time around I'm thinking of running the keto rotation a bit more strategically

today I revived my love for leg training...gotta love that love/hate relationship!!
4-5sets 15-12reps

lying ham curls
plate overhead walking lunges
donkey calf raises
hammer strength leg press
romanian deadlift

AND the nugget of the day...i stumbled upon a new tasty protein shake remix...ice cream sundae!! chocolate ice cream flavor Myotropics Physique 2.0 and Strawberry flavor Flexx Protein!!! YUMMMM

looking forward to hump day tomorrow...chest and biceps!!!

Sheena Ohlig
08-15-2012, 10:20 PM
hey RXGirls!!

soooo a week away from the boards but i'm back...the final week of olympics coverage had me tied to the tube every minute i was away from the gym...i even got push notifications for the major events i was following....GO WOMEN'S 4x100m relay!!! and 100M Hurdles...did anyone catch the powerlifting?!?! whoa!!

last week's chest/bi workout was the bomb.com!! i'm feeling strong and my cardio isnt interfering with my gains so things are good so far at 30-45min 4days a week

with just 9.5 wks to go things are getting really really really REAL!! and cardio is getting a big jump this wk coming up.

the challenging part of contest prep is just sticking to the plan without jumping the gun and notching up the intensity...i find that i'm used to occupied with my weight on the scale even though i KNOW better and cant take my prep queues from that number so i just am looking forward to progressing each day and each new phase of prep at a time...just making sure to kill each workout and leave it all on the floor. We'll See!!

I had an awesome weekend attending the Muscle Beach National Qualifier where i had a bunch of friends competing and they all KILLED their divisions!! FBB, Men's Open and even Figure!! I'm sooo proud of them!! the most fun part...NOT competing, and ACTUALLY being able to watch and enjoy the show!! Sunday was a great day for a visit to the shore...the REAL Jersey Shore lol me and a few sorority sisters had a blast laying out under the sun, and relaxing with the ocean waves crashing...you know I PACKED MY MEALS!! lol

Off the beach and back to reality I crushed legs Monday, Back and Tris yesterday and Chest and Bis today...looking forward to building some boulder shoulders tomorrow and going HULK on arms Friday.

With the show right around the corner I'm excited to start working on my posing routine, anxious to start my cutting phase and crazy psyched to be stepping on a pro stage!! I cant wait!!

still working on getting some vids and pix up and i'll post some update numbers early next wk!!

thanks girls...keep on Killin It!!

Eve Dawes
08-22-2012, 07:42 PM
Hey girl, ooo wow the pro comp must be right around the corner for you now? I have an issue with the number on the scales too and am really trying to go off of weekly progress photos more than the digits but it's hard as it's so ingrained in me having to do weekly weight-ins since the age of 16 (I was a ballerina). Can't wait to see your progress pics and vids, keep killing it girl :)

Sheena Ohlig
09-06-2012, 09:58 AM
hey girls...prep and client training has kept me away from updating my journal but I didn't wanna be away for too long!! Like i said in an earlier pot the time is just zipping by...i can hardly believe its already just 6 and half weeks away!! In the two weeks that I've been away I made great progress personally but i'm also very proud to share that I had the opportunity to attend a couple NPC shows here in Jersey and I had such a great time. The most recent show was the NJ State Championships in which I had a client and friend compete. In just 16wks I prepped her to a 2nd place Figure finish at the NJ Tri State on Aug 4th and just 3wks later on Aug 25 she went on to compete in her second show-the NJ States-and took 1st place (short) AND most notably Figure OVERALL!! I am soooo proud of her!! Shout out to Bernai Brown Holman!!

NJ States by far was the most fun as they had tons of special guests and I met so many IFBB Pros that I have admired....and still do admire!! Dana Linn Bailey was super down to earth, Figure Pro Alicia Harris was such a sweet heart, Fitness Pro Nicole Duncan was too cool for school :) and lets not forgot all the heavy hitter guys Jose Raymond, Big Cedric, even Flexatron Shawn Rhoden.

With all those hard bodies in the building I was pumped beyond measure to turn the notch ALL THE WAY UP in my prep.

The next day I annihilated my leg workout and since then I have measured a loss of a little over 10lbs, about 5lbs bodyfat and 5-7lbs fluid weight as i am noticeable less bloated and getting harder with each new day. I'm goin' H.A.M every morning with fasted a.m. cardio...my lifting sessions each afternoon have been balls to the wall and with my flight booked and posing suit ordered I'm focusing now on just bringing out detail while shredding down!!

My plan is to continue lifting heavy and maintain my high intensity/high volume routines...i spend no more than 45-60min lifting and I believe in not changing too many things going into pre contest crunch time...i'm too paranoid that ALL MY MUSCLES WILL SHRIVEL UP AND SHRINK AWAY AND I WILL BE A SCRAWNY LITTLE LOSER LOL!! J/K but i do take Mr. O Phil Heath's advice in that "you trained heavy all this time to build the physique you have why mess with what works".

With my diet, since i'm keto cycling, I utilize my carb intake (what little it consists of!!) pre workout so as to not knock myself out of ketosis but to still feed the muscle as i train...Dave's thread on the keto diet and contest prep is awesome and has been sooo helpful in supporting this new contest prep strategy i've decided to use.

I have to say ladies, i think we're lucky to have the RXMuscle forums at our disposal!! many of the threads are great tools to answering questions and finding immediate support.

thanks for following
i'll work harder on keeping up to date on my posts!!

Kill It Every Damn Day!!
Sheena O.

curvygirl
09-06-2012, 11:24 AM
Woot Woot Sheena!

Sounds like you are laser focused and ready to smash the stage as a pro! I love to hear the excitement of fellow RX Girl's prep, training & competition! Totally has me "chomping at the bit!!!" to get it going again! Patience Grasshopper!

Totally makes sense not to change too much if you like how your body looks & feels. Sometimes I wonder at all the craziness that occurs during the last couple weeks...last couple days before a competition. I get the sense if you did some radical, 180 degrees opposite to the prior 8, 10, 12, weeks, that the body could go into a full on rebellion!

I am always curious to know what does & does not work...what fellow competitors do & do not eat, supplements etc. And I have been using this off-season to gather as much information as well as educated & experienced opinions as I can to formulate and construct my next prep. One thing I hear often just how challenging following a Keto diet can be. How do you manage your lulls in energy, focus, hunger...Do you use any pre-workout products? OTC fat burner/energy products?

Looking forward to hearing more about your journey!
Keep on Killing it Sheena Style (EDD!) Peace!

Bronwyn
09-06-2012, 11:25 AM
Hello, I personally have good experience with keto to low carb and I became familiar with that also here on RX in Daves thread.
Looking forward what that will do for you :)

Sheena Ohlig
09-06-2012, 12:35 PM
@curvygirl the keto cycling has actually worked really well for me without any of the often associated side effects... i have to admit i was lucky though, it took just 6 days for me to achieve ketosis...i held the induction period out to the suggested 14days though just to be on the safe side...although, after the 6th day i found no trace of ketones using the ketostix...and with that observation plus adhering to the strict 50g or less of carb intake regiment I recognized that my body had switched over to metabolizing the ketone bodies/fat. During the induction phase i made sure to hit my a.m. cardio 45min and my afternoon session of training was high intensity/volume every set to failure. During this time i throw in my fat burner (roxy lean) and vanadyl sulfate-chromium picolinate (vanadyl complex by dymatize) and a fiber supp being i'm taking in very little direct carbs (this includes veggies/fruit/oats (all the good stuff that keeps a girl ...."regular" lol)

on the regular my supps include
liver tabs
fish oil
ala
cla
multi vita/mineral
bcaa
glutamine
creatine mono

and i make my own pre workout cocktail (all by prima focre)
beta alanine
agmatine
citruline malate
l-carnitine

my energy levels were low the first couple days of induction as my bod adjusted to the lack of direct carbs

since settling into the regimen i actually have more energy than when on a higher carb intake!! i actually have less intense carb cravings and since I make sure to take in my carbs around pre workout I have great endurance during my training sessions (not to mention the insane vascular pumps i get which is great motivation!!)

The one thing i've noticed which i havent read or heard much of is the effects on my core temperature after eating a meal...its like clock work...without fail...I AM A RAGING BURING INFERNO OF HEAT!! and during my workouts I SWEAT LIKE A MUTHA" i mean i've always been a heavy sweater but this is just bananas...i read a little that with the low intake of carbs your body obviously holds on to less fluid so i imaging that is the reason for my sweating but i havent figured exactly why i burn up after a meal...i mean literally my meals are simply protein and fat maybe a cup or two of some raw spinach (just for the fiber) but i tell you, when they say your metabolism goes through the roof on the regimen....thats no lie, its the only thing i can attribute the rise in temp to!! if anyone else has experienced this or finds this interesting, please i would love to hear your feedback!!

Sheena Ohlig
10-03-2012, 02:21 PM
hey peeps!! long time-no post :( sorry for the falling off the grid there for a minute. I cant believe we're already in October!! Time shows no mercy!! lol!! Well, there's a lot to catch up on but i wont post a dissertation full of details...long story short....I WAS IN THE PITS for a couple weeks. I was taken by surprise how all of sudden you go from happy and motivated, and psyched and focused to just.straight. bummed!! :(

I can admit my training came to a plateau and i didnt feel like i was makin the progress i was looking for. I know we all hit walls, plateaus you know, lulls....and although i kept pluggin away at it, hitting my workouts on schedule and fighting through the diet...it seemed nothing was working...i felt like i was in a weird upside down backwards world...where the more I fought, the faster i ran, the harder i trained the further behind I fell...SOMETHING HAD TO CHANGE!!

Thankfully I have a great support system and people I can talk to who were there to help me figure things out. I realized OVERTRAINING is a VERY REAL thing. I took a few days off, decreased my cardio over a week's time and let up on my diet ...falling back from the cycling and reintroducing a maintenance intake. It definitely seemed to do the trick. I'm not saying that was the solution but in addition to being able to mentally get some things off my chest and physically let up under the gun it helped me realign my vision and goals and for the last two weeks I've been in a way better place emotionally and most importantly for my goals ahead, physically.

I've adopted a new practice of power yoga (like bikram but a little different in that its more of a moist humid heat, and the poses are more athletic centered) which not only helps we unwind but its a kick ass way to sweat your ass off!!

I will continue to post my workouts and updates on contest prep. I will also continue working on making more gains and developing in various areas so that when I hit the stage with the big girls I'll be more fun to play with!! lol

thanks for your support and comments.

Sheena O.

PFEPerformance
10-03-2012, 02:29 PM
Sorry to hear you hit a slump!! GREAT aproach to dealing with it!! So difficult at times to realize we really don't have a means to burn the candle at both ends and expect optimal results! Seems we drive..drive...drive...then crash and HAVE to re assess! KUDOS for finding your stride a bit and a way to relax physically and mentally!!! Hang tuff girl - GREAT attitude!!

curvygirl
10-04-2012, 01:28 PM
((((Big Hug))))

Been missing you Ms. Sheena! Although I do follow you on FB. And truth be told, like you I avoid posting too much in the way of negative in that forum. I do not think you are alone in "hitting the wall." Many of us over this past summer have been, did, still are struggling with finding the "balance." I noticed Audrey Presson recently smashed into the wall and she now has a double ear infection...poor baby. But she fessed to over training like a mad woman.

For me, a healthier balance came when I added back in other activities I absolutely love, but dropped when I became single minded about competing last fall. So I am back to working on my creative makeup artistry (Halloween is right around the corner! A makeup artist's big time holiday!) I am also singing again with a women's chorus. I am doing my best to give equal time to the physical, intellectual, creative and spiritual sides to myself. Don't get me wrong though...the dream of the bodybuilding stage stays with me daily & that is what I train so hard for :D But that is only one part of all that I am and do.

I second Lorrie! Good on you for getting some rest & easing up. So happy to hear you are in a better place now! Really looking forward to hearing more and to cheer you on when you hit the stage again.

Peace!

Laurie Schnelle
10-07-2012, 01:39 PM
Hope all is well!! keep crushing it!!

Sheena Ohlig
10-07-2012, 09:00 PM
Thanks girls!! It's good to be back!!

Extending this off season will be a great opportunity to really get a handle on my contest prep... I definitely learned just how important a role time management comes into play and now want to make the most of it to continue making gains and refining my "dial-in" strategy.

This week my training was focused on reestablishing my rhythm and redefining that balance between rest and training.

I've settled on the FST7 method of training after reading thru the post here at the training methods thread. I like this method because its not too far a deviation from the way I train already just more mapped out now vs my more open ended plan where most times I make it up as I go along. I'll keep u posted!!

On another note,Excited to be making the trip down to Nationals in a few weeks...it's always invigorating being in the competition atmosphere and that much more fun being able to watch n enjoy the show!!

thanks again peeps <3

arielhumphrey
11-08-2012, 01:22 PM
Been following you on FB for awhile. I admire your physique! Will you write an update about your yoga habit and how you think it is benefiting you/if you think it is?

hey peeps!! long time-no post :( sorry for the falling off the grid there for a minute. I cant believe we're already in October!! Time shows no mercy!! lol!! Well, there's a lot to catch up on but i wont post a dissertation full of details...long story short....I WAS IN THE PITS for a couple weeks. I was taken by surprise how all of sudden you go from happy and motivated, and psyched and focused to just.straight. bummed!! :(

I can admit my training came to a plateau and i didnt feel like i was makin the progress i was looking for. I know we all hit walls, plateaus you know, lulls....and although i kept pluggin away at it, hitting my workouts on schedule and fighting through the diet...it seemed nothing was working...i felt like i was in a weird upside down backwards world...where the more I fought, the faster i ran, the harder i trained the further behind I fell...SOMETHING HAD TO CHANGE!!

Thankfully I have a great support system and people I can talk to who were there to help me figure things out. I realized OVERTRAINING is a VERY REAL thing. I took a few days off, decreased my cardio over a week's time and let up on my diet ...falling back from the cycling and reintroducing a maintenance intake. It definitely seemed to do the trick. I'm not saying that was the solution but in addition to being able to mentally get some things off my chest and physically let up under the gun it helped me realign my vision and goals and for the last two weeks I've been in a way better place emotionally and most importantly for my goals ahead, physically.

I've adopted a new practice of power yoga (like bikram but a little different in that its more of a moist humid heat, and the poses are more athletic centered) which not only helps we unwind but its a kick ass way to sweat your ass off!!

I will continue to post my workouts and updates on contest prep. I will also continue working on making more gains and developing in various areas so that when I hit the stage with the big girls I'll be more fun to play with!! lol

thanks for your support and comments.

Sheena O.

Sheena Ohlig
11-29-2012, 05:30 PM
Been following you on FB for awhile. I admire your physique! Will you write an update about your yoga habit and how you think it is benefiting you/if you think it is?

Hi Ariel, thanks for the support!!
I began practicing Power Yoga aka Vinyasa Flow Yoga about 2-3 months ago...right around the time I made my last post...it has been soooo good to me....and FOR me!!

Power Yoga is performed in a heated room...I naively compared it to Bikram Yoga and was quickly...yet politely...corrected...the main difference is that the heat stays somewhere between 96-98% in Power Yoga compared to the 100+ degrees some bikram studios practice in...in power yoga, by staying below that of the natural core body temperature the heat flows with the natural state of the body...never fighting against or having the body fight against the elements. Oh yeah the elements are a really big point too.

The Earth Element in the body refers to our connection with the earth, the place where the raw elements for our bodies came from. We may bring more "earth" awareness into our yoga practice when we focus on grounding, building a firm base of support, connecting with the earth beneath us

The Water Element in the body refers to the water that flows through our veins, or the circulatory system in the body. The practice also takes on a flowing action, with one movement fluidly moving into the next. It is a universal symbol for the soul and is the element representing the 2nd/Sacral Chakra, the area where new life is generated.

The Fire Element in the body refers to the internal warmth and heat that is generated in certain postures, especially standing postures, and provides the energy and "will" to go on even when we want to quit. It is the source of light and creates and destroys, symbolizing the soul in many beliefs.

The Air Element in the body refers to both the breath and creating space in the body. The breath is the basis of all yoga, since without breath; yoga (or life, for that matter) does not exist. Air is what carries the vital energy or "prana" ("chi" in Chinese philosophy) throughout the body and the universe. It is the essence of all life and can be focused on in yoga practice by literally bringing space or air into specific areas of the body in the postures (such as increasing the spaces between the vertebrae of the spine...lengthening). Pranayama, or breath control, sometimes means prolonging or restraining breath, but always requires a mindful awareness and all-encompassing focus on the breath. To practice breathing techniques is to initiate changes in the psychological, physical, neural and cerebral areas, increasing memory and creativity. It will strengthen your willpower and steady your mind.

In addition to these fundamentals...the succession of the poses are very individual to the instructor...every instructor has their own style...no series is set in stone...the higher intensity of the "flow" or fluid nature from pose to pose makes it more athletic and girl I SWEAT!! like...seriously...losing 4-5lbs a class...WANNA TALK ABOUT DRYING OUT?!! LOL

its great for me not only for the physical aspect but actually more so for the mental benefits...you're so busy focusing on proper breathing and strong poses that you have little time for your mind to wonder...i forget about everything else and i'm in the moment...the NOW...and its such positive energy that whatever stress and worries you had before melt away for the time your in the practice...i've also learned to deal with issues in a different way...although this practice is no magic cure for our woes it puts you in a different frame of mind i think...and this is coming from someone that has always been an optimist...i tend not to get frazzled or worry over things but I just love the way i have connected with this practice.

As for my training, i'm alot more flexible, stronger mind control (the meditative breathing has allowed be to breather more deeply and find new strength when i feel like i've reached failure in a set)...overall it as had a great impact on my training and outlook in general!!

I would urge everyone to try it...its not your run of the mill "hold this stretch" kind of yoga!!

here's the link for the studio i practice at!! anjalipoweryoga.com (http://www.anjaliipoweryoga.com)

I'm currently in "offseason" training. updates coming soon!!