PDA

View Full Version : Barbie's Training Journal

BadAssBarbie
07-31-2012, 06:19 PM
OK OK, you've twisted my arm!! I guess I'll do this training journal for y'all. Although, I think it may be kinda boring. I mean, I really only train legs and core/abs. Without arms, it's pretty difficult to train much else! Anyway, here we go:)

BadAssBarbie
07-31-2012, 06:26 PM
I suppose I'll begin with what I did yesterday. Monday is usually leg day for me. I decided to do something a little different...change of pace, muscle confusion...yada yada yada. I chose to do 100s. By this I mean 100 reps of each exercise. Of course, when doing so many reps, I don't go as heavy as i normally do. Plus, throughout the sets, i had to keep taking more weight off. By the last 10-20 reps or so, I was going pretty light, but it felt like a ton!! The exercises I did were: walking lunges, leg press, seated leg curls, and leg extensions. Then, I managed to hop on the treadmill and bust out 40 min of cardio. Today, my legs....especially my hamstrings are SO FREAKIN' SORE!!!

BadAssBarbie
07-31-2012, 06:29 PM
Today, even though my hammies are killin' me, I did 50 min of cardio. Then I came home and soaked in epsom salts and stretched, not that it really helped. I can barely straighten out my legs all the way! Maybe I should do those 100s a little more often!

The Prodigy
07-31-2012, 06:55 PM
How often do you get pedicures since you use your feet for everything? Post some training videos!

BadAssBarbie
07-31-2012, 07:09 PM
Pedicures...this relates to training how?? hahahaha I get them about every 2 weeks. In fact, I need one now!!! I don't have any training videos. I guess I'll have to twist someone's arm to video me. lol

PFEPerformance
07-31-2012, 07:19 PM
I suppose I'll begin with what I did yesterday. Monday is usually leg day for me. I decided to do something a little different...change of pace, muscle confusion...yada yada yada. I chose to do 100s. By this I mean 100 reps of each exercise. Of course, when doing so many reps, I don't go as heavy as i normally do. Plus, throughout the sets, i had to keep taking more weight off. By the last 10-20 reps or so, I was going pretty light, but it felt like a ton!! The exercises I did were: walking lunges, leg press, seated leg curls, and leg extensions. Then, I managed to hop on the treadmill and bust out 40 min of cardio. Today, my legs....especially my hamstrings are SO FREAKIN' SORE!!!

Holy Cow - not sure my legs would take steps after that much less "Hop on the treadmill and bust out 40" !! LOL Impressive!

LOVE that next day soreness - weird I know! Just makes me feel like I got the job done!!

Kudos girl - following along!

geneva13
08-01-2012, 02:39 AM
Oh I bet Q would record it for you...I'll help you with the guilt trip if you need back up. Glad you're doing this sweetheart!

Bronwyn
08-01-2012, 03:00 AM
Great reading and motivation I think. And yes you really hitting it hard :)

BadAssBarbie
08-01-2012, 11:05 AM
Oh My GOD!!!!! Soreness does not even begin to describe this! I usually like that soreness I get a day or two after training, but I think I have nearly handicapped myself this time!!! Remember, i use my legs for EVERYTHING!! This soreness (to put it mildly) is making it difficult to do anything! I suppose I will drag my butt to the gym and walk for 30 min or so. It didn't help at all yesterday. Maybe today it will:) I've been asked to join a friend for a photo shoot tomorrow....all action shots. So, hopefully I can move by then!! If I can't move, these will be some interesting pictures! haha
At least we'll look cute. We went shopping to coordinate outfits...not that we NEEDED to, but any excuse to buy new stuff is a good excuse in my opinion:)

Sunnyday
08-01-2012, 01:27 PM
Oh yeah, I am soooo IN THIS!! :D :D :D :D

Sweet leg training! What are your go-to exercises for core?

BadAssBarbie
08-01-2012, 03:36 PM
I do some different things for abs/core, some of which came from my gymnastics coaches. I do banana rockers, v-ups, "around the world"...I call it that bc I don't know what it's really called and the name fits. I do bicycles, full sit ups on a declined bench. Sometimes, I use the Bosu ball for crunches...with my legs up. Sometimes, I'll use the cable machine, med balls. Sometimes, I'll even hold a dumbell between my feet to do reverse crunches. There are SO many things to list. I could go on and on.

Sunnyday
08-01-2012, 10:16 PM
Good stuff! I used to hate training abs/core but now I can't get enough. :)

BadAssBarbie
08-02-2012, 03:09 PM
The photo shoot this morning went well. It was fun....all action! So, I worked up ma good sweat:) Then, after running a few quick errands, I headed to gymnastics. Today, we worked mostly on some new choreography! Fun fun!! This afternoon, I'm getting a much needed massage before I head to the gym for my plyo workout! Plyos make me feel puketastic:) I'm STILL sore from legs on Mon. So, plyos ought to feel great. LOL

The Prodigy
08-02-2012, 05:12 PM
Gymnastics? You do it all!!!!!

What is your training split like typically a week?

BadAssBarbie
08-02-2012, 10:39 PM
I just finished cardio and my plyo w/o:)
2x20 traveling jump lunges
2x20 traveling frog jumps
2x20 up & overs (I used a bench and 7 risers on each side)
2x15 straddle ups/box jumps
2x16 uneven jump squats, turning & switching sides each rep
30 sec. high knees
30 sec. butt kickers
12 tuck jumps
10 toe touches/straddle jumps

Yes, my coach and I worked on choreography this morning. Tomorrow will be actual tumbling practice.

I don't really have a training split like most people bc I don't get to train as many body parts. I usually do 1 leg day/week, 1 plyo day/week, 1-2 ab/core days/week, and cardio 5 days/week. When it's not a billion degrees out, I do go to the track at least once/week. I will walk the track, lunge the straights and walk the curves, run bleachers, plyos, etc. I also have gymnastics practice twice/week.
Of course, if I'm in show prep mode, I do more cardio and have my routine to practice as well.

Bronwyn
08-03-2012, 03:24 AM
I am interested about the core training mainly. As you named many interesting ideas and I know I need to work mainly on core :)

PFEPerformance
08-03-2012, 10:42 AM
LOVE Track workouts and bleacher runs!! KILLERS and intense - but absolutely Love them!!

BadAssBarbie
08-03-2012, 11:19 AM
Ya, that's why I love 'em too. I love a good challenge! Besides, if workouts are easy, I feel like I haven't done enough!
Bronwyn, I'll have to bribe my son to help me make a ab/core video for u. LOL

BadAssBarbie
08-05-2012, 06:44 PM
I am having a bit of a neck/upper back problem. My gymnastics coach decided to injure me for my birthday. LOL JK...it was completely an accident. Anyway, I've taken a few days off. I'm trying to rest up today though, so I can hit legs again manana!! besides that, I've had more than enough birthday treats....I NEED to work my ass off this week...literally!!!

BadAssBarbie
08-06-2012, 02:06 PM
Just finished legs! My legs are all swollen and feel like I'm dragging along tree trunks instead of legs! LOL
Today, I warmed up with 20 min on the elliptical and 2 laps of walking lunges(that's about 50)
I started with leg press (20 reps then 15 sumo squats) x 3
Leg curls (15 reps then single leg dead lifts 15 each leg w just my body weight) x 3
Leg extensions (20 reps then 20 side<-->side lunges) x 3
I was in a time crunch today. So, I basically did this with almost no rest between sets.
I'll have to go back tonight to get in some cardio.

The Prodigy
08-06-2012, 03:57 PM
I am having a bit of a neck/upper back problem. My gymnastics coach decided to injure me for my birthday. LOL JK...it was completely an accident. Anyway, I've taken a few days off. I'm trying to rest up today though, so I can hit legs again manana!! besides that, I've had more than enough birthday treats....I NEED to work my ass off this week...literally!!!

Do you do your own diet when you compete and in the offseason?

BadAssBarbie
08-06-2012, 07:03 PM
I did do my own diet this year for all 3 shows. However, I hired Dustin Franke to help keep me on track this off season;)

BadAssBarbie
08-06-2012, 11:01 PM
...and 45 min cardio...done. Good night, y'all!

BadAssBarbie
08-07-2012, 12:29 PM
Gymnastics this morning. Cardio tonight. See my training journal isn't as exciting as you thought it would be huh!!! LOL

PFEPerformance
08-07-2012, 04:36 PM
I have to say I'm AMAZED at your ability to do gymnastics! Your CORE must be incredibly strong!! Just sitting here thinking about how we use our arms for stabilization in so many things (hek - just walking some days for me...LOL - I'm a mega CLUTZ)..... Even the track workouts and the bleacher runs - was thinking about you when I was doing mine and watching how much I USE my arms in these! You are amazing and an incredible inspiration!

The Prodigy
08-07-2012, 04:45 PM
Gymnastics this morning. Cardio tonight. See my training journal isn't as exciting as you thought it would be huh!!! LOL

I want you to video tape your gymnastics....you training legs...doing cardio.....

KTTraining
08-07-2012, 04:54 PM
I just clicked on your Homepage... you are absolutely INCREDIBLE !!! Beautiful and truly an inspiration. Very impressive to say the least ...

Sunnyday
08-07-2012, 09:37 PM
I want you to video tape your gymnastics....you training legs...doing cardio.....

x2! Yes please! :)

BadAssBarbie
08-07-2012, 11:09 PM
When I can get someone to video for me, I will:)
I had gymnastics this morning. Tonight I went to the gym just for cardio. I did 5 min warm up and then 40 min of intervals in the dreadmill. Tomorrow I'll be doing pilates!!

BadAssBarbie
08-08-2012, 10:12 PM
Choreography/routine practice and pilates this morning, 40 min cardio this evening. Tomorrow, I have gymnastics again, and then I'm getting a facial and meeting a friend for sushi!! My sore body needs a little break:)

BadAssBarbie
08-09-2012, 10:24 PM
Well, I wasn't even going to go to the gym today, BUT I kinda felt like a slacker. SO, I ended up going with my husband. I did some light cardio and an ab workout while he trained chest. OH, and I made him do abs with me. LOL