PDA

View Full Version : Exertion headaches

Dr Pangloss
04-18-2009, 04:05 PM
this is the second time. Was doing leg press (45 degree) 3x675x20 reps. This is a brutal way to start legs, but i've been getting some growth, so i want to keep going.

Point is, on the third set i got to rep 17 and my head began throbbing like noboby's business. I finished the set and finished the workout with a headache, but that was the peak of intensity. Ive now had a headache for 2 days.

this is the second time in a year.

I've read that this can be fairly common, but i wanted to see if anyone else gets this.

Also, what do you do about it, besides puss out?

Suzy Brown
04-18-2009, 04:19 PM
The first time, and the second time I squatted 180 (shush, I'm little & weak) I got one so bad I had to take a week off to recover. Now I'm squatting 200 tho. I pay a lot of attention to my breath, and do increases very slowly. It took me almost 6 months to go from 170 to 200, but growth, not weight, is what I"m aiming for, right?

Dr Pangloss
04-18-2009, 04:25 PM
yeah. It could be my breathing. Leg press certainly restricts my chest some. And i can remember not getting deep breaths.

I read this somewhere else also. Also, i guess it IS suggested that you cease training until it subsides.

I dont' want to though.:mad:

It's good to know it's not that uncommon....

Suzy Brown
04-18-2009, 04:36 PM
I had no idea what was going on. I thought I had my first migraine.

ElSpiko here said the first time he got one he actually went to the hospital and got a ~whateveryoucallit~ brain scan. He was relieved to hear it was just exertion.

Suzy Brown
04-18-2009, 04:39 PM
~off topic, I was reading about Candide the other day, Dr. Pangloss is a charactor who tells everyone life is good, all is well, all is just as it should be. (I could have stories mixed...)

Dr Pangloss
04-18-2009, 04:53 PM
~off topic, I was reading about Candide the other day, Dr. Pangloss is a charactor who tells everyone life is good, all is well, all is just as it should be. (I could have stories mixed...)

That's him. For me, it's an ironic name. I'm a bit of a skeptic.

Suzy Brown
04-18-2009, 05:05 PM
you don't say

Dr Pangloss
04-18-2009, 05:08 PM
you don't say

Voltaire uses every other event/person in Candide to demonstrate that the happy optimism of Dr Pangloss was as far from reality as one could get. He is a satirical character anyway.

Strikerrjones
04-18-2009, 07:56 PM
this is the second time. Was doing leg press (45 degree) 3x675x20 reps. This is a brutal way to start legs, but i've been getting some growth, so i want to keep going.

Point is, on the third set i got to rep 17 and my head began throbbing like noboby's business. I finished the set and finished the workout with a headache, but that was the peak of intensity. Ive now had a headache for 2 days.

this is the second time in a year.

I've read that this can be fairly common, but i wanted to see if anyone else gets this.

Also, what do you do about it, besides puss out?

I had these for about a month, and the first time was on leg day also. I took a week off and when I came back I warmed up a lot before doing anything heavy. I haven't had them since, but I have felt two or three start building up. As soon as I felt it, I stopped the set and it went away. Also, I agree that holding in your breath while exerting yourself could have some effect.

Bennny
04-18-2009, 10:32 PM
Man, if I had a headache for 2 days I'd be concerned. I cansee having a headache after doing that kind of weight for an hour or two, but 2 days...

Dr Pangloss
04-18-2009, 10:40 PM
Man, if I had a headache for 2 days I'd be concerned. I cansee having a headache after doing that kind of weight for an hour or two, but 2 days...

It's not as intense as it was during the workout. During the workout at one point it was fucking crippling. Now it's a dull ache in my eye, around the top of my head and behind my ear. i can tolerate it.

I was just a little concerned. I dont' want to do what elspiko did, though, and spend 5 hours in emergency so they can tell me i have an exertion headache.,,

rompip
04-19-2009, 02:07 AM
I get them every second time I train with weights. Slowly warming up, doing plenty of neck stretching and proper breathing are the only things that help. Every now and then in the middle of an intense set I will forget my breathing and thats it, the headache begins. It is so frustrating and painful.
I also get them that they last for a couple days. But I just push through them now. Does interrupt my concentration during the last part of a set, but as Im trying HIT with one working set I dont want to interrupt the set itself.

I have found that nights that I end up rolling onto my stomach in bed precede days that I get these headaches. Much of the reading I have done on exertion headaches refers to posture and tight neck muscles.

GirlyMuscle
04-19-2009, 02:37 AM
I get headaches on leg days and I think I do breathe pretty good. I figured it was just the extra exertion legs offer. Ya know...bigger muscles and all.

Bekim Rizvani
04-19-2009, 02:55 AM
You know what I got this a long time ago and mine came from the original supplement ripped fuel, there was some kind of ingredient in it that caused me to have exertinary migraine as soon as I stopped that supplement my migrains stopped, but it happened just as you said a very bad throbing in my head. So i guess check to see if there are any new supplemnts that you started that might be causing it

Strikerrjones
04-19-2009, 08:51 AM
You know what I got this a long time ago and mine came from the original supplement ripped fuel, there was some kind of ingredient in it that caused me to have exertinary migraine as soon as I stopped that supplement my migrains stopped, but it happened just as you said a very bad throbing in my head. So i guess check to see if there are any new supplemnts that you started that might be causing it

Oh yeah, that was the other thing I forgot to mention. I was taking Animal Pump at the time, and since then I have neither taken an NO2 product or gotten exertion headaches. I don't know if NO2 was really the cause, but until I get a headache without them I'm not going to take them again.

Suzy Brown
04-19-2009, 09:47 AM
Dr P some oxygen might help. I use oxygenplus.com or BigOx. O2 always seems to make headaches go away faster...