PDA

View Full Version : Food day of the show

the mighty stu
04-18-2009, 06:51 PM
I've been reading so many different approaches to how competitors play with their water, carbs, diuretics, you name it, but what really seem odd to me, is that some folks seem to opt for a P+F feeding before going on stage, while other go for the P+C (specifically sugar). I'd love to actually hear people's rationals for this.

The basic outline I personally have been following recommends several options for Sat breakfast (depending on how you look), either a simple sugar meal (if flat), a small piece of fruit and protein (if looking 'good'), or just protein (if holding water). It also recommends a can of sugar soda w/vegetable glycerol 45 min before pumping up. Of course I've heard of people having 'normal' breakfasts with complex carbs, and then opting for a snickers bar before pumping up as well.... and then there's the whole matter of what to eat between classes (I'm competing in three different ones), and during the hours before the night show <it's all so complicated! -lol>

S

Luka Treska
04-18-2009, 07:26 PM
The best approach that has worked for me is cut water at 7pm friday. Start loading on fats and carbs at 9pm and do so every two hours. I load on whole eggs (I find they're easy to digest during this time) rice cakes layered with nutella and I chase all my food down with honey. The next morning I follow the same protocol and have a snickers bar 15 minutes before pumping up.

billytrainer
04-18-2009, 07:34 PM
totally does depend on your weight & if you need to make it. its a constant monitoring process...adjustment etc. I cut all water & foods containing water 4pm on friday. provided you are under ur weight or at it on the am of weigh in, eat small amts of protein....carbs steadily to continue filling up,but monitoring as you go. after u weigh, make sure u know how much time you have til the stage...then eat accordingly..i personally have a burger w salt, no bun. rice cakes & jelly..then a snickers bar 30 mins b4 stage time.. repeat starting 2hrs prior to nite show.

the mighty stu
04-19-2009, 11:34 AM
I've been eating a ton of eggs myself lately just for the convenience sake, but I'll probably cook up several tupperwares of whites to have on hand because they don't bloat me much (I tend to distend a bit after eating). I understand the rice cakes and honey, but I don't fully comprehend the loading of fats. I know there has been some anecdotal writing about increased vasularity from fat intake before a show, but is that your rational, or is it something 'better'? (heard of folks also making a mixture of prot powder, PB, honey, and choc chips and just muching it between prejudging and night show). Also, wouldn't you not want salt on the day of the show? I'm not really playing with my own sodium intake aside from dropping out all of my condiments the last week, but assuming you put salt on everything during peak week, the dropping of salt would create an environement of less water.....? (what am I missing? -lol)

S

Luka Treska
04-19-2009, 12:04 PM
Fatloading from what I've read works essentially like carb loading but instead of filling your muscles with glycogen (like carbs do), the fats load your muscles with triglycerides. This makes sense to me and whenever I've done it, it's worked according to theory. The other thing that I've read with fat loading is that (unlike with carbs) you can't spill over because fats do not 'work' with water. The only down side I've seen with some people is that they eat too much fat and cannot digest it and end up puking or looking really bloated, so moderation is key, just like carb loading.

Personally I do not manipulate salt, I drink a lot of water through out my whole prep and especially the last 10 days or so and the friday before the show I cut water and all fluids completely.

I've read that you need sodium the day of the show...just not mega amounts. Some people I've talked to, do this - increase their sodium intake leading up to the show then the day of the show, have regular levels of sodium instead of high levels. This will ensure that you will be dry but not flat. But as I've said, I have never manipulated sodium so no personal experience.

If you want my honest opinion bro, I think if you're in shape then just eat "normally" and add carbs and fats moderately judging by how you look every few hours or so and you should be fine. I've seen DISASTERS lol, with people that try to overthink the whole last minute prep thing. I'd rather be a certain 99% on stage than a 50-50 chance of 100%

militantmuscle
04-19-2009, 02:47 PM
One of the reasons I use fats for competitors sometimes is to purposely slow down absorption and ensure a steady flow of nutrients to the body. Some indiividuals on the day of the show are very sensitive and their bodies will absorb glucose greedily, and if they absorb it too fast they may go into shock.

I remember one guy at a level V show was bragging to two of my athletes that he had half a chocolate cake and all this other high sugary food in a very short period of time without any fats or proteins (I knew immediately he was in for some trouble), and then when prejudging started I saw him on the floor looking very sick, on stage in front of the judges he looked like he was about to fall over, and kept putting his hands on his knees and dropping his head.

billytrainer
04-19-2009, 03:21 PM
I dont get it...if you are in condition, why not do the LESSER of all evils & maintain that condition, instead of all the manipulation etc & run the risk of totally losing condition,spilling over etc...I have seen guys RUIN 20 weeks of diet & hard work in 20mins of stupid things backstage. I take it that its your first show Stu, and you havent had much trial & error with contest day eating... imo, I would eat conservatively if thats the case to avoid a disaster.. your avvy looks good & condition as well if thats a current pic... Id hate to see you ruin it with crazy eating on show day.....

the mighty stu
04-20-2009, 07:09 PM
It is my first show, and I certainly don't plan on doing anything dramatic. I've already told my training partner that I'd rather come in smaller and cut than bigger and puffy. Still, I have a tendency for my stomach to bloat a bit when I eat, so I really just want ot made educated decisions here. I never salt anything, so I won't be playing around with that avenue (I will stop using all condiments next week though, as well as stopping my eating of so much broccoli and lettuce by Thursday just because I've heard of other natty guys getting bloated from all the fiber backing up (yuk-lol). So the only thing I'll really be playing with, is my water, and carb intake, which makes a lot of sense, and certainly not some of the precontest 'voodoo' you sometimes hear about. I was just curious to other people's reasonings because I hear so many different approaches. I certainly won't be eating any chocolate cake before prejudging-lol. I was thinking of having egg whites and maybe a Banana when I get up, then maybe repeating that a couple of hours later, and then maybe a gatorade 30 min before the actual prejudging. Between the prejudging and the show, I figure as long as I'm eating something with simple carbs (and some small amount of protein?) every hour and a half or so, I should be able to maintain my condition..... (?)

S

Luka Treska
04-20-2009, 07:55 PM
Dude, the Gatorade with kill your conditioning in no time.

the mighty stu
04-20-2009, 08:06 PM
Dude, the Gatorade with kill your conditioning in no time.

REALLY?! Layne Norton recommends that in his giant contest-prep piece. Christian Thibadeau (who I take a lot of stuff from), actually says to drink a sugar soda with vegetable glycerol 45 mins beforehand, but I don't handle carbonation well.

S

Luka Treska
04-20-2009, 08:12 PM
Dude, it's just my opinion based on my personal experience so don't take it as hard fact. Keep in mind, Layne does NOT cut water, so it might work quite well for him. For me, I cut water completely and once I even take a gulp of any liquid I start smoothening out.

Now the sugar soda and glycerol is a different thing all together. Gatorade doesn't seem like a good idea to me, but again just my opinion.

I'd say cut water, load up on carbs and fats while monitoring yourself every 2 hours or so to see if you need more or less macros and you should be good.

Luka Treska
04-20-2009, 09:06 PM
I just read the Layne Norton piece. I see he said "sip" on the gatorade, so I'm assuming he doesn't mean drink the whole thing. Again though, he doesn't cut water, so it would be a different game all together.

If you've preped according to his theories then just stick to them bro, he's a very smart guy, and there's no need to clutter your prep with too much contradicting info. Too many chefs spoil the broth.

the mighty stu
04-20-2009, 09:52 PM
I appreciate all the input. Why would a soda be different than the gatorade? Or is it just the presence of the glycerol? If it's a matter of ingesting liquids (as I will be shutting down my water friday around 4pm), there's always the snickers bar / jelly bean route :D

S

-BLP-
04-20-2009, 10:19 PM
I cut water at 9 pm friday on thiazide n aqualize , I do fat load on NPB every 2 hour , dextrose 15 min b4 prejudge, i tend hold water so im real strict n i found way less risky on look fat loading

Luka Treska
04-20-2009, 10:42 PM
I cut water at 9 pm friday on thiazide n aqualize , I do fat load on NPB every 2 hour , dextrose 15 min b4 prejudge, i tend hold water so im real strict n i found way less risky on look fat loading

Agree 110%. That's exactly how I do it, except I cut it at 7pm, use aldactone and instead of NPB I use nutella. I'm also prone to holding water so I find fat loading much safer than carb loading.

I appreciate all the input. Why would a soda be different than the gatorade? Or is it just the presence of the glycerol? If it's a matter of ingesting liquids (as I will be shutting down my water friday around 4pm), there's always the snickers bar / jelly bean route :D

S

I just wouldn't want all the contents of the gatorade (electrolites and all). Soda is simple, sugar and some sodium...not much though. Glycerol, I've heard some people use it, I don't really find it necessary. You look in very good conditioning in your avi bro...play the safe route, moderate carb/fat load every 2 hours while monitoring your "look" to see if you need more or less food.

the mighty stu
04-21-2009, 07:10 AM
So do you have any protein at all on Saturday? I was thinking scrambled egg whites would go down easy,.. and if I should be having moderate carbs and some fat, would having natty PB with the eggs for breakfast, and then just PB on rice cakes until the prejudging be good? (and the soda with glycerol 30 min before)

S

maxxmuscle
04-21-2009, 07:58 AM
It sounds like you are getting very complicated.Be careful not to do anything crazy and screw shit up.IMO just stick with the foods you have been eating all through your prep so there are no suprises.Good luck !

billytrainer
04-21-2009, 08:13 AM
first show so I would do things that will effect you in the least negative possible way stu... personally, I would not do the gatorade thing. you are overthinking everything imo buddy.. I have stuck to the basics the first few times & did well with it, then added this & that along the way & found things that helped me to improve and maintain the day of...it should get better, not worse.....i think you should stick with a very basic approach.. condition is condition.period. dont ruin it with question amrk type things that mite screw u.

Luka Treska
04-21-2009, 08:15 AM
So do you have any protein at all on Saturday? I was thinking scrambled egg whites would go down easy,.. and if I should be having moderate carbs and some fat, would having natty PB with the eggs for breakfast, and then just PB on rice cakes until the prejudging be good? (and the soda with glycerol 30 min before)

S

Yep, I have eggs, some fish (whatever protein you know you can digest and won't bloat you. Personally, I cannot digest NPB easily so I use nutella, I find it easier to digest and it has fat and sugar. I would keep some protein in the meals before prejudging. Not much but some.

Personally bro, I wouldn't do the soda thing if you plan on cutting water. Just do the snickers and honey or other simple sugars. Much safer.

billytrainer
04-23-2009, 02:31 PM
bump for stu..... whats the update?

the mighty stu
04-23-2009, 06:53 PM
OKay, I actually got some really good feedback from Christian Thibadeau. He feels that everything I've been doing so far has been spot on, and that I shouldn't worry so much about fri and sat. In his opinion, I could eat like I normally would on a moderate intake day for me, and still come in looking okay. Apparently ost competitors retain water because of cortisol caused by obsessing and worrying about what they're doing during peak week (who knew?! -lol). My only concern now is not eating in quantities that bloat my stomach, as I have a tendency to distend after not eating for a while, even if I only ingest a small amount of food. I'll probably forgo the oatmeal, even though it's been a staple in my diet because I don't want to use the excess water on Sat, and I'll probably skip the egg whites because some people do bloat a bit on them. So,.. I'm thinking two feedings of chicken (1/2 breast at each sitting) with either a potato (I don't usually eat them, but I'll try one this Sunday and watch very closely), or a banana (I'll test-run that as well, again, a food I haven't been using). As far as 30 min before prejudging, I'll probably go with the snickers bar. Thibs says it's actually the salt content that helps a lot of competitors because they've been adjusting their intake throughout the week.

I'll let you guys know how things go.

S

Luka Treska
04-23-2009, 07:12 PM
Sounds good bro. That's actually almost identical to what I did my first show as a junior. Chicken breast, banana, before pumping up eat a snickers bar. Very safe route, best of luck. Keep us updated.

the mighty stu
04-27-2009, 11:42 AM
Quick question though,..

I'm figuring that not counting the snickers bar 30 min before prejudging, I'll have to eat at about 7am, 9:30 am and probably twice between pre-and night show. Assuming I need about 40-50g of carbs at each feeding, that's about 2 bananas.... we're talking about eating 8 Bananas? A little too much you think?

S

SAMSON
04-27-2009, 12:01 PM
Stu, I competed yesterday after 13 weeks on Dave's diet. My conditioning was at its best ever, I really couldnt have been much lower in the bodyfat department. Here's what I've learned from this weekend. I followed the usual fat/carb depletion followed by 3 days of cabing up (30g of carbs per meal) cut water 24 hours before going onstage. Day of the show im as dry as the desert and a little fuller due to the carbs. I switch to rice cakes and natural pb with a little chicken every 2 hours. Backstage I have a snickers before pumping up, a vodka and some simple sugars right before I go on. I feel tight, vascular, but a little flat, very tired and dehydrated. I dont place for the first time ever and the feedback I get from the crowd is that I was the most conditioned guy onstage but I was lacking in fullness and seperation. So I travel home after some chocolate, flapjack and gatorade. I have a large pizza and ice cream at home, then go to bed 2 hours later. While undressing for bed I get the shock of my life, Im covered in veins from head to toe with 25% more fullness with little change to my conditioning! My body just soaked up the excess calories, fluid and sodium and delivered it straight to the muscle. If I looked like that on stage my placing would have been a lot higher. Maybe this is just the way my body reacted to this, and I know it'd take a brave man to do it before stepping on stage. Im gonna use this formula for my next show in 4 weeks, im not saying anyone else should take the risk, just sharing my experience.

Carl

Luka Treska
04-27-2009, 12:59 PM
Quick question though,..

I'm figuring that not counting the snickers bar 30 min before prejudging, I'll have to eat at about 7am, 9:30 am and probably twice between pre-and night show. Assuming I need about 40-50g of carbs at each feeding, that's about 2 bananas.... we're talking about eating 8 Bananas? A little too much you think?

S

When I did that approach, I only had 4 bananas in the morning before prejudging. Meal 1 was 4oz chicken breast with 4 rice cakes, meal 2 was some chicken with 2 bananas, meal 3 the same as 2, then the snickers bar. After prejudging I switched to chicken breast with rice cakes again. Was this smart? I don't know, I would say, go by your look. If you're looking flat, eat some bananas or carbs accordingly. If you look just about right, eat small amounts of carbs (rice cakes are okay I find) to maintain the fullness.

hulk7280
04-27-2009, 02:49 PM
When I did that approach, I only had 4 bananas in the morning before prejudging. Meal 1 was 4oz chicken breast with 4 rice cakes, meal 2 was some chicken with 2 bananas, meal 3 the same as 2, then the snickers bar. After prejudging I switched to chicken breast with rice cakes again. Was this smart? I don't know, I would say, go by your look. If you're looking flat, eat some bananas or carbs accordingly. If you look just about right, eat small amounts of carbs (rice cakes are okay I find) to maintain the fullness.

why bananas? i know it has a ton of potatssium.. but it is mailny fructose and fructose does not replish muscle glycogen..

Luka Treska
04-27-2009, 03:31 PM
Bro on the day of the show, sugar in general will do.

the mighty stu
04-27-2009, 04:18 PM
INteresting stuff. I initially picked Bananas because I didn't want to use a carb source I don't usually eat, but the last 12 weeks, I've been practically living on oatmeal (but don't want the water content when I make it!). I figured Bananas were safe, maybe a few rice cakes as well (sodium free I assume -lol).

A few thoughts though,... should I take a 2nd snickers bar before the night show? and is there anything I should be concerned with ingesting to much raw brocoli and cauliflower? I'm depleting this week (under 40g carbs), and I'm using these veggies to fill myself up a bit (pretty good cooked in an omlette actually)

S

Luka Treska
04-27-2009, 04:23 PM
Yeah bro, bananas should be okay. I also use a lot of cream of wheat, but like oatmeal, it needs to be made with water so I don't ingest it once I stop ingesting fluids before the show. For the rice cakes I use the plain ones.

The second snickers bar will depend on how you look, if you're already full, veiny, hard and pretty much at your best, no need to risk it...what more could you gain right? But if you are a little flat then you might have half or the whole bar. It all depends on how you look though. I also eat raw broccoli and cauliflower raw, never had any problems.

Jaredmus
04-27-2009, 04:25 PM
HEy so if i have prejudging at 2 what should i do. The show im doing in long island pre judging is at 2 any advice? As far as how to time my food. I was thinking pancakes one meal snicker b4 pumping up and idk what else to do.

the mighty stu
04-27-2009, 04:30 PM
Well, I'm not counting the veggie numbers towards my cals or carb totals, and today, being my 1st depletion day had me eating a ton! -lol, just wanna make sure I'm not making some new competitor mistake :)

Thanks for all the advice by the way.

S

Luka Treska
04-27-2009, 04:34 PM
The only thing I would say is make sure you don't over do it with the veggies, after all, you do want to be depleted for the carb up to be effective.

No problem at all bro, hope you win it.

the mighty stu
04-27-2009, 04:35 PM
Well, I'm planning on stopping the veggies thursday just so I dont have a ton of fiber in my gut, I tend to bloat a bit when I eat normally.

Luka Treska
04-27-2009, 04:36 PM
HEy so if i have prejudging at 2 what should i do. The show im doing in long island pre judging is at 2 any advice? As far as how to time my food. I was thinking pancakes one meal snicker b4 pumping up and idk what else to do.

Nothing different than if it was at 11, 12, 2, whatever. Just load your macros accordingly and keep checking your conditioning, if you're filling up properly then it's all good, if you are still flat, then add a few more carbs.

Luka Treska
04-27-2009, 06:02 PM
Well, I'm planning on stopping the veggies thursday just so I dont have a ton of fiber in my gut, I tend to bloat a bit when I eat normally.

Agree, I would do the same.

billytrainer
04-27-2009, 07:48 PM
i have used stone ground whole wheat pitas also as a carb source after i drop water......

the mighty stu
05-03-2009, 11:29 AM
Just wanna say thanks for the suggestions, had my show last night and did surprisingly well for a 1st time out:

1St Novice Heavyweight
Novice Overall
1St Masters 35+
3rd Mens open middleweight.

I came home with 4 trophies -lol
Thanks guys.

S

Luka Treska
05-03-2009, 03:22 PM
Very well done bro. That's a great accomplishment to say the least. Did you fill out okay?

the mighty stu
05-03-2009, 04:36 PM
If anything, I underate. I was looking pretty tight fri night, so I had a bison patty (P+F instead of P+C) before bed, and then sat morning, 7am had only one banana and 4 oz chicken, weighed in, then at 9am had one banana and chicken again. 30 min prior to prejudging I ate the snickers bar with 2 Tbsp of vegetable glycerol, which I think really helped draw the last bit of water out from udner the skin. Prejudging ended just before 3, so at 3 I had chicken and 2 rice cakes with nutella, then at 5 I had just the rice cakes but no chicken. At 6:30, I took another rice cake, and then finally, after most of the results were done (I already had 3 trophies), I was getting a bit dizzy, so I ate a 3 muskateers bar, but still no water, not rally expecting the 4th trophy afterwards -lol.

I will say that the head judge told my brother that my conditioning was unbelieveable, and his opinion apparently was echoed by the others, as a buddy of mine saw a few scoring sheets, which all said similar things... "conditioning", "calves", and "back" :D All in all, a very cool experience!

S

Luka Treska
05-03-2009, 07:06 PM
Awesome dude. Couldn't be happier for you. One thing is, I notice people always think they could have been a bit fuller, but maybe you were just right bro. After all you got 4 trophies to show for it lol. I notice, judges will often reward the guy that's shredded and dry and 90% full over the guy that's 100% full but spilling over. All in all dude, congrats and now go eat some real food. I'm 2 weeks out myself and trust me I am dying for anything other than Tilapia and egg whites lol.

Frosty
05-03-2009, 07:27 PM
It helps to know how you react to foods to determine what to eat before you're going on stage. Are you the kind of guy that can eat some sugary carbs and look jacked afterwards? Or are you the kind of guy that has that and just gets bloat? The former obviously would want to use carbs before the show, and the latter would want to avoid it. Just my opinion that you need to experiment to know. Otherwise it's straight up guesswork that can potentially harm you.

the mighty stu
05-04-2009, 03:58 PM
I totally agree. It's just that I was a little unsure about my usual choices because of their water content. I made sure to try some of my new choices during the previous weeks just to assess how much, if any, bloating occurred.

S