PDA

View Full Version : push / pull recommendations

tribal
04-18-2009, 10:14 PM
i have a shoulder and elbow problems, so im gona try push pull so i can get all the pain out of the way in one day...let me know if the below is adequate or do i need more exercises..thanks

chest-shoulder-tris
incline bench
flat bench
pecdec
pullover
dumbbell press
lateral raise
rear lateral
close grip bench??
rope push down
over head rope ext

cant do skull crushers, or french press too much pain

back-traps-bis
pullups
bent row
deadlift
cable straight arm pulldown
Hammer Strength Iso-Lateral Front Lat Pulldown
shrugs
barbell curl
hammer curl

legs are on a seperat day

Sledge
04-18-2009, 10:39 PM
what sort of set's/reps do you plan with that volume of exercises? Chest, shoulder, tri day looks like a HUGE day :)

tribal
04-18-2009, 10:55 PM
what sort of set's/reps do you plan with that volume of exercises? Chest, shoulder, tri day looks like a HUGE day :)
i know it def does thats what im worried about (the amount of exercises)...shit i just looked an counted up 3 sets per an thats like fuckin 30 sets total :eek: ...i guess id prob have to take out the close grip bench, pullover, and something else...no clue...isnt this how push/pull breaks down?????????

Sledge
04-18-2009, 11:09 PM
Or do less sets per exercise. try 2 sets per exercise. until you get the feel of it and figure out what you need to change around to alleviate any pain.

And usually (in my experience) a pushpull 3 day program consists of pretty much all big compound movements. If you drop out some of the isolation movements it might look a little more managable.

Mouse
04-18-2009, 11:29 PM
Seems on your chest/shoulder/tri day you've got too many exercises. Since you're doing them all on the same day you don't need all of the same exercises you would normally do if you did them on separate days. For example, I'm not sure after all that bench pressing if you need to do dumbbell presses for your shoulders or close grip bench presses for your tris.

tribal
04-18-2009, 11:52 PM
Seems on your chest/shoulder/tri day you've got too many exercises. Since you're doing them all on the same day you don't need all of the same exercises you would normally do if you did them on separate days. For example, I'm not sure after all that bench pressing if you need to do dumbbell presses for your shoulders or close grip bench presses for your tris.
how bout i do incline, dumbbell press, and i take out close grip, and flat bench?

Sledge
04-19-2009, 01:09 AM
incline dumbell bench
flat bench
Dumbell shoulder press (if you can)
close grip bench
rope pushdowns

Hard and heavy then go home

Mouse
04-19-2009, 06:53 AM
how bout i do incline, dumbbell press, and i take out close grip, and flat bench?

If it were me, and there's no 100% correct answer here, using your listed exercises and omitting a few I would do:

Flat Bench
incline bench
Pec deck
lateral raise
rear lateral
rope push down
over head rope ext

My opinion is that by the time you get to your delts/tris they're pretty well worked from your chest workout so no need to add more pressing movements that will also continue to work your chest. If you're a high volume kind of person then hey, go for it. Sledge also presents a nice power only routine.

Sledge
04-19-2009, 07:15 AM
I've had a think about this and because of your injuries I'd say try the less sets (ie 2 sets per exercise) but the full routine until you figure out exactly what you can and can't do.

Then once you know your ok with the exercises I like mouses style of routine better. The routine I suggested would be good if you had no preexisting problems but might cause some aggravation in the long term, especially if you go hard and heavy and let form slip a little like most of us do.

tribal
04-19-2009, 01:09 PM
If it were me, and there's no 100% correct answer here, using your listed exercises and omitting a few I would do:

Flat Bench
incline bench
Pec deck
lateral raise
rear lateral
rope push down
over head rope ext

My opinion is that by the time you get to your delts/tris they're pretty well worked from your chest workout so no need to add more pressing movements that will also continue to work your chest. If you're a high volume kind of person then hey, go for it. Sledge also presents a nice power only routine.
ya this is the routine im gonna use, except i will be substituting dumbells for the benching

I've had a think about this and because of your injuries I'd say try the less sets (ie 2 sets per exercise) but the full routine until you figure out exactly what you can and can't do.

Then once you know your ok with the exercises I like mouses style of routine better. The routine I suggested would be good if you had no preexisting problems but might cause some aggravation in the long term, especially if you go hard and heavy and let form slip a little like most of us do.
ya i feel the same way..the training routine you provided would be great if i didnt have a rotator injury and elbow tendonitis..its just too much heavy work, im gonna try mouses to see if maybe the lack of compound work will relive some pain

i did forget to mention im actualy starting this on a short 8 week diet and im not really try to build right now just maintain..thanks alot to the both of you its much appreciated:bowdown:

tribal
04-20-2009, 02:41 AM
i modified it a little but here was my first day of the push/pull

train chest/delts/tris mod weight/mod reps
incline dumbbell press 2 warmups 6 work sets 10 reps ascending weight every other set

cable crossover warmup
pec dec 3 work sets 15 reps finish w/burns on cable crossover

rear lateral 1 warmup 3 work sets 12 reps

rope push down 1 warmup 3 work sets 12 reps ascending weight

side laterals 1 warmup 3 work sets 12-8 reps ascending weight (last set
was rest pause then drop set)

overhead rope ext 1 warmup 3 work sets 20-12 reps ascending weight last set was rest pause

cable crunch 1 warmup 5 work sets 12 reps

superset 3 work sets 15 reps
reverse wrist curls
wrist curls

Yolo
04-20-2009, 08:24 AM
You could try a more abbreviated approach: just do one exercise for each bodypart and rotate them every workout- something like incline bench on one workout, flat db the next and maybe decline on your following one. This way, you can keep your workouts shorter. Best of luck!

tribal
04-20-2009, 02:31 PM
You could try a more abbreviated approach: just do one exercise for each bodypart and rotate them every workout- something like incline bench on one workout, flat db the next and maybe decline on your following one. This way, you can keep your workouts shorter. Best of luck!
i was actually contemplating this very thing...the actuall workout went alot quicker then i expected, it only took about 50 mins..i kept the rest btwn sets to 30 seconds cause i thought it was gonna take really long...believe it or not but when i was doin the bodyparts on there own days it was takin about 90 mins to finish the workout but with this workout it took 50 mins and i had a much better pump

Yolo
04-20-2009, 02:34 PM
i was actually contemplating this very thing...the actuall workout went alot quicker then i expected, it only took about 50 mins..i kept the rest btwn sets to 30 seconds cause i thought it was gonna take really long...believe it or not but when i was doin the bodyparts on there own days it was takin about 90 mins to finish the workout but with this workout it took 50 mins and i had a much better pump

Glad to hear it! Keep up the good work:beerbang: