PDA

View Full Version : Deadlift bruises

GirlyMuscle
04-19-2009, 03:07 PM
Finally learned propper deadlift form. Did them on Friday. I have red and blue bruises on my shins and knees. Do ya think if I tan they'll be less noticeable? I love deadlifting but I don't like the ugly legs!

oldschoollion
04-19-2009, 08:33 PM
i started to use a strip of mueller tape, but too recent to tell if any amount helps. as far as the tanning, it might lessen the look.

SadFatty
04-20-2009, 04:19 PM
How do you get bruises from deadlifts exactly? I deadlift but I never get bruises at all. Am i doing it wrong?

Ninja Loco
04-20-2009, 04:29 PM
I have my clients just wrap a compression bandage on their legs (not tight) or wear thick, knee high socks and then chalk the shit out of the shins if chalk is allowed in the gym. If you're getting the scrapes and bruises yes, you're doing them right, but it doesnt necessarily mean you're not if you dont. Peoples is just built different. I still have them all up and down the shins and they are really bad, but mine are also the result of bag and pad kick work where I split the skin.

sassy69
04-20-2009, 08:21 PM
Battle scars! Wear them proudly!

robert da strongman
04-21-2009, 10:56 PM
Battle scars! Wear them proudly!

amen:bowdown:

neoprene sleeves or thick tube socks

GirlyMuscle
04-21-2009, 11:04 PM
How do you get bruises from deadlifts exactly? I deadlift but I never get bruises at all. Am i doing it wrong?Maybe. I was.

hqxim0YXr90

The Beast
04-23-2009, 01:26 AM
Maybe. I was.

hqxim0YXr90

Girl I am with you...I have been using a squat suit as well so I have marks all through my thighs as well. Baby powder on your legs will help the bar go up and long socks will help a bit but I still end up with bruises and scrapes. Tanning, if you are using spray tanner may make it worse if you are scraped up. They are just battle scars, wear them proud!!

The Beast
04-23-2009, 01:30 AM
How do you get bruises from deadlifts exactly? I deadlift but I never get bruises at all. Am i doing it wrong?

The closer you keep the bar to your body the lighter the weight will feel...the bar should glide up against your body on your pull. My main problem is on my way down I tend to hit the top of my knees which is NO fun. Recently I switched to sumo style so I am not having as many problems.

Here is a video of me conventional style deadlifting...you can see how close I try to keep the bar to my body...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRWWCc0SBwk

sassy69
04-23-2009, 01:31 AM
amen:bowdown:

neoprene sleeves or thick tube socks

Lately I've been wearing nylon knee sleeves, but the bar gets hung up on the bottom edge of them - that drives me nuts - like it interrupts the motion - so I don't wear them for DLs.

Last week was particularly brutal - I had a couple of great sets w/ 185 - just felt perfect, but I'd beat on my shins every rep. I got thru a set of 225 but had to call it after that because it was just too tender for another set.

Por2gue
04-23-2009, 03:08 AM
The closer you keep the bar to your body the lighter the weight will feel...the bar should glide up against your body on your pull. My main problem is on my way down I tend to hit the top of my knees which is NO fun. Recently I switched to sumo style so I am not having as many problems.

Here is a video of me conventional style deadlifting...you can see how close I try to keep the bar to my body...

Nice pulling!

Ninja Loco
04-23-2009, 03:11 AM

Marry me.

The Beast
04-23-2009, 12:22 PM
wow :) Thanks...in just a few weeks I hope to pull 420ish at a USPF meet here in Chicago. If anyone is close you should check it out. I think powerlifting is a great compliment to bodybuilding.

Ninja Loco
04-23-2009, 01:36 PM
wow :) Thanks...in just a few weeks I hope to pull 420ish at a USPF meet here in Chicago. If anyone is close you should check it out. I think powerlifting is a great compliment to bodybuilding.
Marry me.

Chani
05-21-2009, 10:49 AM
What is everyone's thoughts on the conventional Deadlift and figure competitors? I avoid heavy deadlifts for the most part, mainly because I don't want to develop my obliques that much. For us, the V taper to a small waist is so important on the stage. I love the deadlift, but they can produce the wrong look for us over time.

- Chani

Ninja Loco
05-21-2009, 01:21 PM
What is everyone's thoughts on the conventional Deadlift and figure competitors? I avoid heavy deadlifts for the most part, mainly because I don't want to develop my obliques that much. For us, the V taper to a small waist is so important on the stage. I love the deadlift, but they can produce the wrong look for us over time.

- Chani
The deadlift is suoerior to most every bodybuilding exercise for adding all over body mass. There are a few MMA and cross fit style exercises that I would put up there now that Ive gotten more into and learned that type of training, but for BBing and PLing there is nothing better.

I said for adding all over body mass.

That means all over.... this exercise will really do it. I would say you would have to be careful how heavy you went and then know when to stop them altogether or simply transfer to rack deadlifts or even pull throughs, which I have a lot of my girls do. My workout partner ( a figure girl) did them for a while until she packed on enough muscle. There was always the concern about the waist, so we kept an eye on that. It's an exercise you can do until you get to where you want and then stop or alternate to rack deads or other exercises.

GirlyMuscle
05-21-2009, 09:45 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRWWCc0SBwkDay-ummm!! I'm impressed!

nRWWCc0SBwk

The Beast
05-27-2009, 06:04 PM
well thanks! Hopefully I will be able to hit some big numbers this weekend at my meet. We are going to try to videotape the meet and get it posted...I will miss the strength once I start dieting!!!!

Melissa
05-27-2009, 06:47 PM

- Chani

I've competed in figure for the past 4 years and always included dead lifts when I trained back. Try using a belt. I noticed it helped, not only to maintain my smaller waist, but also in being able to use more weight. Even though they say they don't want figure girls to be overly muscular, I don't agree that they have to avoid certain exercises....there's a reason that squats, dead lifts, etc. are considered staple exercises in developing a physique.

robert da strongman
05-27-2009, 06:51 PM
Lately I've been wearing nylon knee sleeves, but the bar gets hung up on the bottom edge of them - that drives me nuts - like it interrupts the motion - so I don't wear them for DLs.

Last week was particularly brutal - I had a couple of great sets w/ 185 - just felt perfect, but I'd beat on my shins every rep. I got thru a set of 225 but had to call it after that because it was just too tender for another set.

neoprene works better, its slick. talc is another alternative, should help the bar slide easier.

robert da strongman
05-27-2009, 06:51 PM

- Chani

yes deadlift!!
keep the reps above 5.

robert da strongman
05-27-2009, 06:52 PM

:eek::beerbang:

Klaus Urine
05-30-2009, 09:09 PM
Finally learned propper deadlift form. Did them on Friday. I have red and blue bruises on my shins and knees. Do ya think if I tan they'll be less noticeable? I love deadlifting but I don't like the ugly legs!
How much do you deadlift?

GirlyMuscle
05-30-2009, 11:56 PM
How much do you deadlift?
Best to date...this week I did 235 pounds for 2 reps. I've been doing my working sets with 205.

Rattbones
05-31-2009, 12:12 AM
it's a badge of honer
But baby powder will keep the friction down

Klaus Urine
05-31-2009, 12:37 AM
Best to date...this week I did 235 pounds for 2 reps. I've been doing my working sets with 205.Not bad. I've seen men use far less.

GirlyMuscle
06-13-2009, 09:51 AM
not bad. I've seen men use far less.

255 :)

Klaus Urine
06-13-2009, 03:04 PM
PR breaking time, huh?

robert da strongman
06-13-2009, 03:34 PM
Best to date...this week I did 235 pounds for 2 reps. I've been doing my working sets with 205.

:bowdown:

how many sets and reps?

Ninja Loco
06-13-2009, 06:10 PM
She will hit a 315 single by Fall.

GirlyMuscle
06-13-2009, 09:18 PM
:bowdown:

how many sets and reps?It was a pyramid set...only 2 by the 255 but it'll be more very soon. :)

fitbody
07-22-2009, 09:16 AM

IT'S VERY IMPORTANT TO WEAR THE RIGHT TYPE OF CLOTHES :)
IF YOU WEAR THE SHINY SLIPPERY MATERIAL TIGHTS IT HELPS TONS
ALSO MAKE SURE YOUR SHIRT IS SHORT ENOUGH IT DOESN'T HIT HARD
IF YOU WEAR SWEATS OR COTTON MATERIAL
IT CAUSES DRAG :mad:
THE SLIPPERY SHINY LYCRA IS THE BEST ;)
OF COURSE IF YOU WANNA GO OLD SCHOOL
WEAR SHORTS AND PUT BABY POWDER ON YOUR LEGS
THE GYMS OF THESE DAYS WILL LOVE THAT :p

Dawn Alison :wavey:
1991 U.S. National Champion Powerlifter

fitbody
07-22-2009, 09:22 AM
my best deadlift was 501 lbs at 168 lbs in 1991
which was an unofficial world record at the time
I got a souvenier on the white of my right eye forever
burst the blood vessels
and theres a brown spot there that has never gone away
do i care ?
HELL NO !
would i do it again ?
HELL YA !
wish i'd have got the world record though
after that contest i turned my focus to bodybuilding hired Chris Aceto
and dieted down to my first show 11 months later weighed in as middlewt at 124 lbs
STILL WISH I'D HAVE GOTTA THAT WORLD RECORD
everything happens for a reason
it was still one of the greatest experiences of my life
it was the Greater Texas Classic 1991 it was Rickey Crains Meet outside of Dallas, Texas
My first husband Powerlifting Legend Doug Young was my coach
Powerlifting Greats John Inzer & Steve Goggins congratulated me on the lift
i'll never forget it
that lift lasted forever
i had to pull and pull my heart out
but i never gave up
and did it
Dawn
xox

Klaus Urine
07-22-2009, 03:20 PM
[B]my best deadlift was 501 lbs at 168 lbs in 1991
Amazing.

fitbody
07-22-2009, 06:20 PM
Amazing.

thank you so much
i give all the credit to my coach & first husband
Powerlifting Legend Doug Young
I always give credit where credits due
he's the one that got me from training horses to powerlifting & bodybuilding
he wouldn't let me work
my whole life revolved around my lifting
he made me a whole custom made gym in our house
he gave me everything i needed to succeed
world class coaching, all the food, rest, love,everything i needed
all i had to do was lift
man i miss those days
he taught me better to have loved than lost than never to have loved
and when the marriage broke up my mom said to me welcome back to the real world
which SUCKED !!!!!
now i gotta work for a living and compete
it's a completely different animal
but you know what
i lived a dream back in those days
and i'll never forget it
and even though Doug is dead he's always with me
and when i compete at nationals for Bodybuilding at Canadian Nationals in 31 days he'll be there
I got embroidered on my Team BC jacket I have to wear to the weighins
on the bottom of the back in script...
In Loving Memory of Doug Young & Alexander Bruce
Bruce was my baby brother who was killed in 1991
Doug died a few years ago of a massive heart attack
this show on aug 22, 2009 is about so much more to me than just a bodybuilding show !

Dawn Alison

DCtraininggirl
07-24-2009, 12:32 AM
Wow dawn, thats insane. You are a remarkable person. hats off to you.

GM, as far as your form goes, generally when I dead lift, I try to keep the bar as close to my body as possible without actually hitting it. I use all the surrounding muscles to control the movement. I concentrate on form and control, generally speaking