PDA

View Full Version : "Chuck's Done", says Dana White

Johnny Phenomenon
04-19-2009, 05:54 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/d9aZugTVwyw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/d9aZugTVwyw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Dana is a fucking idiot.

Stavman
04-19-2009, 05:59 PM
Why would he say that?

Johnny Phenomenon
04-19-2009, 06:01 PM
Because he doesn't want to tarnish Chuck's legacy in the UFC anymore. I wonder what the contractual situation is, like could he fight for Affliction for example?

IanMazia
04-19-2009, 06:12 PM
If Liddell doesn't retire (which is doubtful), then I think Liddell/Couture IV would be great!

Johnny Phenomenon
04-19-2009, 06:18 PM
I'd much rather see Chuck/Belfort in Affliction.

Plates
04-19-2009, 06:19 PM
Basically it comes down to this:

Dana knows Chuck is out of his league with the younger guys coming up. Dana, being good friends with Chuck/being a shady business man, probably made a deal with him and said.."sure Chuck, you can make a great comeback! Lets sign you for a # of years though, instead of fights!"
That would cover the Chuck, in case he could make a comeback. Obviously that failed. Now it covers Dana on the business end of things. As in, no one else can have him. So lets continue to try and draw money off of him, until hes not profitable anymore, then we dump him ass to the curb.

IanMazia
04-19-2009, 06:20 PM
I'd much rather see Chuck/Belfort in Affliction.

Oh shit! That would be nice too! But you know, Chuck and Dana are butt buddies, so you'll probably never see Chuck fight outside the UFC. :D

Johnny Phenomenon
04-19-2009, 06:22 PM

Dana knows Chuck is out of his league with the younger guys coming up. Dana, being good friends with Chuck/being a shady business man, probably made a deal with him and said.."sure Chuck, you can make a great comeback! Lets sign you for a # of years though, instead of fights!"
That would cover the Chuck, in case he could make a comeback. Obviously that failed. Now it covers Dana on the business end of things. As in, no one else can have him. So lets continue to try and draw money off of him, until hes not profitable anymore, then we dump him ass to the curb.

I'm sure there is a contractual stipulation that he cannot fight outside of the UFC without consent.

Plates
04-19-2009, 06:26 PM
100% positive on that! He will have Zuffa tattooed on his ass until he farts dust.

IanMazia
04-19-2009, 06:27 PM

Not saying that's unlikely, but I've never seen a UFC fighter with a contract that lasts for X Number of Years instead of X Number of Fights.

DaveV
04-19-2009, 06:30 PM

That's probably exactly what happened. I remember reading Dana wanted to sign a guy for his career. The guy wouldn't do it and went somewhere else. So I guess if he went 0-3 and Dana didn't let him fight anymore he'd have to start selling aluminum siding or something to pay rent.

Johnny Phenomenon
04-19-2009, 06:35 PM
That's probably exactly what happened. I remember reading Dana wanted to sign a guy for his career. The guy wouldn't do it and went somewhere else. So I guess if he went 0-3 and Dana didn't let him fight anymore he'd have to start selling aluminum siding or something to pay rent.

The whole Jon Fitch thing was over signing his name rights for the UFC game over to Zuffa, which would never allow him to be in another video game ever again - outside of UFC that is. They are monopolizing the sport.

DaveV
04-19-2009, 06:36 PM
The whole Jon Fitch thing was over signing his name rights for the UFC game over to Zuffa, which would never allow him to be in another video game ever again - outside of UFC that is. They are monopolizing the sport.

Ahh, thanks for clearing that up.

Johnny Phenomenon
04-19-2009, 06:39 PM
Dana White saved the UFC, but is destroying MMA. They are putting a strangle hold on the fighters. The fighters need a union. How does Wandy make 150k to nearly kill Jardine, while The Dean only makes a whopping 10k and spends 11k on medical bills lol. At least the other start ups are paying the guys well...

IanMazia
04-19-2009, 06:49 PM
Dana White saved the UFC, but is destroying MMA. They are putting a strangle hold on the fighters. The fighters need a union. How does Wandy make 150k to nearly kill Jardine, while The Dean only makes a whopping 10k and spends 11k on medical bills lol. At least the other start ups are paying the guys well...

Not only that, but in my opinion, a large majority of fighters that end up signing with the UFC never really grow to their full potential and capabilities because of the large amount of dead time in between fights.

Johnny Phenomenon
04-19-2009, 07:03 PM
Not only that, but in my opinion, a large majority of fighters that end up signing with the UFC never really grow to their full potential and capabilities because of the large amount of dead time in between fights.

Some of that though is due to State Commissions' mandatory time off, like after a knock out, submission etc. 4 times a year, thats how often they should fight.

IanMazia
04-19-2009, 07:12 PM
Some of that though is due to State Commissions' mandatory time off, like after a knock out, submission etc. 4 times a year, thats how often they should fight.

Ahhh, good point bro. I was too busy finding fault with the UFC that I failed to consider outside factors, lol. :D

Johnny Phenomenon
04-19-2009, 07:15 PM
I hate the UFC so much. It is the American Redneck Hate Machine. It is just a bunch of slack jawed southerners going to bars in cheap UFC t-shirts fighting between scheduled bouts.

Envirolover
04-19-2009, 09:52 PM
I am more of boxing fan but the UFC does make me think WWE/Rednecks...lolol.

With regards to Chuck he shoulda retired after the Jardine fight, it was after that fight I felt it was over. He just lost that aura of invincibility he had for quite a while.

tonyb82
04-19-2009, 10:20 PM
whats funny is that everyone kept saying couture should retire cause he is all washed up. that being said its kind of shocking to hear dana say that even from a business perspective. chuck is still a big draw by himself

Johnny Phenomenon
04-19-2009, 10:36 PM
whats funny is that everyone kept saying couture should retire cause he is all washed up. that being said its kind of shocking to hear dana say that even from a business perspective. chuck is still a big draw by himself

Dana wants him to stop because they are friends, he doesn't want Chuck to go out like Mark Coleman, Ken Shamrock, etc etc.

MRT
04-19-2009, 10:37 PM
The power the ufc has over the fighter's is sickening, dana shouldnt be able to make someone move up in weight or retire ufc is a joke!!

tonyb82
04-23-2009, 08:08 AM
Dana wants him to stop because they are friends, he doesn't want Chuck to go out like Mark Coleman, Ken Shamrock, etc etc.

while true that Dana and Chuck may be friends I have always had the impression that Dana is a business man first, a very shrewd one at that. he has such a stranglehold on the UFC it is ridiculous.

Bubba Bronko
04-23-2009, 09:59 AM
UFC will not let Chuck go. I believe Dana has said it in the past that he will always be under contract. Kinda like Lou and Weider publications. They are forcing him to retire. He doesnt want to you can tell. Even the way Rogan/Goldberg were talking its almost like everyone is in on it

fireman+scott
04-23-2009, 10:08 AM
UFC will not let Chuck go. I believe Dana has said it in the past that he will always be under contract. Kinda like Lou and Weider publications. They are forcing him to retire. He doesnt want to you can tell. Even the way Rogan/Goldberg were talking its almost like everyone is in on it

I read something like this also, Dana said chuck will always be affiliated with the ufc in some aspect. like promotions,announcer, etc.

Bryan Hildebrand
04-24-2009, 02:02 PM

yep.

add dan henderson and a few others to that list.

Sensei
05-10-2009, 10:22 PM
Its not danas decision its chuck for dana to just announce it like that is disrespectful. Chuck hasnt looked as good in his past fights but look who hes facing, Chuck could have 1 or 2 more left him, but the decision is up to him NOT dana

madmax
05-11-2009, 09:17 AM
Shaq wants to fight chucky at the end of the year it was on espn the other day.

vboissiere
05-11-2009, 10:31 AM
Dana has a lot of Don King in him.

exit2010
05-11-2009, 11:21 AM
Looks like Chuck is caught between White and Hackleman.

BrandonBass
05-12-2009, 03:32 PM
yep.

add dan henderson and a few others to that list.

Well, I hope that trend ends with Henderson's fight against the HIGHLY overrated Michael Bisping!

beggs_05
05-13-2009, 01:04 AM
Here's an excerpt from an article that I found interesting:

“He’s going to be with the UFC forever,” White said. “I’m thinking of him doing regulatory stuff with Marc Ratner,” the promotion’s vice president for regulatory affairs. “Chuck Liddell is going to make a lot more money and he’s going to have a lot of fun.”

White said he would never let Liddell fight for another promotion.

“F--king right I wouldn’t,” said White, though he later added, “at the end of the day, if that’s what he wanted to do, I mean, what am I going to do? I’m not his f--king father. I can’t tell him, ‘No, you f--king can’t.’”

The entire article is a pretty good read.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/1/Hackleman-White-War-over-Liddells-Future-17379