PDA

View Full Version : Why do you work out?

HeavyDutyGuy
04-19-2009, 06:41 PM
Whatever reason you had to start, why do you do it now? Note- this will be similiar, but not exactly the same as polls I will post in the general and masters sections. I am posting multiple polls as I suspect the reasons may vary, and this way I think it will be easier to interpret the data. If you answer 'other' please specify why. Have fun!

HeavyDutyGuy
04-25-2009, 03:09 AM
Not many responses. I guess noone works out for any particular reasons? .

sassy69
04-25-2009, 03:25 AM
I posted in the Masters section.

I started lifting almost by accident long before I knew you could compete in BB and way long before figure ever existed. I wasn't concerned about muscle or fat, but I just loved the fact that I could leg press 100 lb at 15 yrs old. Its always been my "me" time where I could see what I could do and air out my brain from a 20 yr career as a computer jockey. The result is a lot of personal strength & satisfaction. Getting on stage gave me a place to target my workouts & get the whole diet, training, cardio thing to produce results that meant I was no longer a clueless victim of "good German breeding hips", and I overcame the last (or one of the last) of my childhood hangups being ridiculously shy. There's really not much I can't see myself taking on after surviving that first competition.

All the other stuff you list is just icing on the cake!

GirlyMuscle
04-25-2009, 10:43 AM
Many reasons. It started so I could lose weight. It continues because I like the way I feel and look. Bodybuilding has helped me to be happy with and accept my body.

Lee Penman
04-25-2009, 11:36 PM
I began working out when I was anorexic (BAD!) but I turned it around -once working out became 'bodybuilding' not 'bodybreaking' - and it actually became a valuable part of my recovery process.

stephaniewicked
04-26-2009, 04:20 PM
I started out because I wanted to improve my physique and "tone up" to feel better about my appearance. Then I met a bodybuilder, starting learning more about clean eating and how to lift properly and became addicted. Now I do it because I love it, I love the results and now that I've competed, I want to improve further so I can do it again!!

HeavyDutyGuy
04-26-2009, 09:38 PM
Good responses, about what - would have thought. But looking at the poll results only ONE woman works out to gain muscle?

GirlyMuscle
04-26-2009, 09:46 PM
Good responses, about what - would have thought. But looking at the poll results only ONE woman works out to gain muscle?
I didn't vote. Gaining muscle is a small part of it. Loving my body is more important. Maybe I gain muscle as a part of loving my body.

stephaniewicked
04-27-2009, 01:07 PM
It's hard to pick just one response. Plus, I'm sure the responses change depending on the time of year and what a person's current goals might be...

MsGuns
04-27-2009, 01:33 PM
I couldnt just pick one...
I do it:
#1 to stay in shape
#2 modeling opps/ fitness modelin/ exposure
#3 to win bb competitions...

If i didnt compete I would still be in the shape im in cause i like how I feel and look.

HeavyDutyGuy
04-27-2009, 03:15 PM
You can pick multiple responses. I set the poll up that way.. Lol. You ladies are funny.

GirlyMuscle
04-27-2009, 03:34 PM
You didn't say in your first post you could pick more.

First it was to lose fat. Then it was to gain muscle. Now that I've gained muscle it's back to losing fat. All of that will be so I can feel good about myself and to stay in shape and take care of the body I have. Lastly, I'd like to compete. Maybe when I was younger it was to be attractive to men but now that I'm older I find that there's guys out there who like all types. Then there's the best ones...the ones that love the inside and don't care what the outside looks like. So I don't train for men. I don't care what they think. I do it for me.