PDA

View Full Version : Mike's 2013 NPC Contest Journal

gman
08-28-2012, 03:48 PM
Hope I am still allowed in this section...long time since I have been around, and it looks like only people who have competed before are posting now! :)

Anyway, Paula and I have been together for a couple of years now, and we got married in May of this year. Married life with Paula is great, and we have had so much fun. Although I have been lifting pretty regularly since I last posted on here a couple of years back, I haven't been lifting real heavy, and have had no real goals in mind other than to stay in good health and enjoy life.

We did do a highland game/strongman hybrid contest in May 2011, and I even tossed a caber correctly and got an 11 o'clock score in the contest.

But now, I have regained the urge to compete and prove to myself I can do it. I will be 51 at the end of September and would like to get my first show behind me, but I have a long ways to go. I have tentatively picked a show in late June of 2013, the NPC Virginia Grand Prix, held locally in Norfolk. I am at 220 right now, and my waist taped at 40.5", so I am obviously at way high bf% now. I am guessing 22% or so, because even when I did the transformation in 2010 at the Arnold, I was 14% at 185, and waist taped at 36.5". In any case, it is what it is, and I am going to get lean.

I am on TRT at 200mg per week of test cyp, so I may have some good muscle hidden somewhere, but I need to put some diet rules in effect and plan it out...but I am so used to just dieting after I get fat , I am really not sure how to go about getting more muscle and less fat with almost a year to go. Any suggestions are appreciated. I am considering a slow cut, but should I do it like a contest diet, or just clean things up real well and get my protein up to 250g a day? I am thinking to cut slowly, then perhaps do a test only cycle of 500-600 per week in the winter, and then go on my contest diet 12 weeks out. For cardio, I was considering trying to just do intervals 2-3 times a week for now, seeing as the long steady state cardio does nothing for me that I can tell. What bf% would even be acceptable when doing a cycle (would be my first one)

Anyway, I can't post as often as I used to, but I do plan on hanging around and staying up with you guys, and learn as much as I can in the next year.

cheers, and thanks for reading my rant!

Hammerfit
08-28-2012, 04:44 PM
Hope I am still allowed in this section...long time since I have been around, and it looks like only people who have competed before are posting now! :)

Anyway, Paula and I have been together for a couple of years now, and we got married in May of this year. Married life with Paula is great, and we have had so much fun. Although I have been lifting pretty regularly since I last posted on here a couple of years back, I haven't been lifting real heavy, and have had no real goals in mind other than to stay in good health and enjoy life.

We did do a highland game/strongman hybrid contest in May 2011, and I even tossed a caber correctly and got an 11 o'clock score in the contest.

But now, I have regained the urge to compete and prove to myself I can do it. I will be 51 at the end of September and would like to get my first show behind me, but I have a long ways to go. I have tentatively picked a show in late June of 2013, the NPC Virginia Grand Prix, held locally in Norfolk. I am at 220 right now, and my waist taped at 40.5", so I am obviously at way high bf% now. I am guessing 22% or so, because even when I did the transformation in 2010 at the Arnold, I was 14% at 185, and waist taped at 36.5". In any case, it is what it is, and I am going to get lean.

I am on TRT at 200mg per week of test cyp, so I may have some good muscle hidden somewhere, but I need to put some diet rules in effect and plan it out...but I am so used to just dieting after I get fat , I am really not sure how to go about getting more muscle and less fat with almost a year to go. Any suggestions are appreciated. I am considering a slow cut, but should I do it like a contest diet, or just clean things up real well and get my protein up to 250g a day? I am thinking to cut slowly, then perhaps do a test only cycle of 500-600 per week in the winter, and then go on my contest diet 12 weeks out. For cardio, I was considering trying to just do intervals 2-3 times a week for now, seeing as the long steady state cardio does nothing for me that I can tell. What bf% would even be acceptable when doing a cycle (would be my first one)

Anyway, I can't post as often as I used to, but I do plan on hanging around and staying up with you guys, and learn as much as I can in the next year.

cheers, and thanks for reading my rant!

Glad to see you back Big Mike!

There is no dry cut answer. Everyone is different and responds different to different stimuli just as you found with your cardio.
My suggestion would be to come down very slow, no more than 2lbs per week. That way you will be able to tighten up as you come down. I also suggest tons of ab and lower back work. The new guys call it core! Deadlift and deadlift some more for back and abs. Squat like your life depended on it. That's my receipe. Good luck and keep us posted.

Down4whatever
08-28-2012, 04:51 PM
Awesome!!! Good to see ya around these parts Mike!

You're committed now :D

I agree with Hammer, just clean up diet, allow minimum carbs during the week. Have a refeed Saturday and Sunday and pound it out during the week. You should be good for .50 to 1# of fat loss per week.

Looking forward to your journey!

gman
08-28-2012, 04:53 PM
Thanks, Hammer! I love to deadlift, but haven't done it in a while...squats, let's just say, I look like I should be able to squat a lot more than I can...but I will do them both religiously for the duration...plus for chest, I am going almost all incline stuff to try to get that upper chest filled in

For a few different reasons, money and distance, we dropped our old gym for now and are now going to the rec center, which is much closer by(don't laugh too much, ours are really nice here in Va Beach, and only $11 per month) and did legs today. Unfortunately, the normal rec center I go to is closed for maintenance this week, so I had to go to a different one, and they didn't have a power rack...suckish. So I had to do leg presses instead of squats. I am easing back in, so I did the following:

5 sets of leg presses
4 sets of stiff leg deads
4 sets of extensions
4 sets of standing calf raises.

Not enough hard and heavy stuff, but I still felt it pretty good.

gman
08-28-2012, 04:57 PM
Awesome!!! Good to see ya around these parts Mike!

You're committed now :D

I agree with Hammer, just clean up diet, allow minimum carbs during the week. Have a refeed Saturday and Sunday and pound it out during the week. You should be good for .50 to 1# of fat loss per week.

Looking forward to your journey!

Thanks, Matt. I am glad I committed to it, I have to do it now!

Yes, I do agree with you both, a slow cut is the best thing. Not quite a contest diet though, I am thinking, just a slow steady loss. For me, I think that is probably going to be 2000 calories a day since I sit all day at a desk. I am thinking to cut fat to 195-200, then re-assess at the time whether to try to bulk back up and add muscle

gman
08-28-2012, 05:04 PM
Matt (down4whatever) and Michelle came up for our wedding, and this is what I looked like in May when we went to the gym...I was about 10 lbs lighter.

Down4whatever
08-28-2012, 05:10 PM
Yes, good times!!!

What were those, about 125# each? Can't remember.

We LOVED that gym!

gman
08-28-2012, 05:27 PM
I think it was more than that, but can't remember...seems like it was 135 in each hand just for the implement itself.

Mac
08-29-2012, 06:17 AM
Glad to see that you're back. Congrats to you and Paula! Now get her back on here too and tell her I said hello.

gman
08-29-2012, 09:47 AM
Glad to see that you're back. Congrats to you and Paula! Now get her back on here too and tell her I said hello.

I am glad to be back...I will tell Paula to get back on here too, but her job here is long hours, but maybe she can pop in once in a while and say hi!

gman
08-29-2012, 09:50 AM
OK...today is Day 1 of the diet, so I officially weighed in and taped my waist. 221.4 and 40.25"

Did chest today. Warmed up, then did

5 sets of db incline press
4 sets of incline db flys
4 sets of leaning-forward dips to failure
4 sets of pushups with feet on bench to failure

Tried to concentrate on relaxing everything but my chest muscles to force them to do the work.

Down4whatever
08-29-2012, 12:02 PM
Slow and steady Mike.

Any ideas on the quasi-contest diet? Strategies to keep disciplined?

gman
08-29-2012, 12:52 PM
Slow and steady Mike.

Any ideas on the quasi-contest diet? Strategies to keep disciplined?

I am using the myplate system that is on the livestrong.com website. It is 10 times better than fitday. Everything I have typed in so far is already in their database, protein powder, etc.

I think on the diet, in general, I am going to loosely attempt 2200 or so per day, with 250g of protein, 75g of healthy fat, and 125-150g of healthy carbs. Clean eat every day except one night of letting loose a little every weekend. If not working, I will cut the calories just a little.

Not sure on cardio, but I think I will run wind sprints in the Rec Center gym 2-3 days a week for 10 minutes for now...the guy that was teaching me to pose a couple of years back (Va State NPC chairman) told me he had his athletes only do cardio when they stopped making progress. He said that was old school, and that if you do lots of cardio to start off, your body just gets used to it, and you have to keep doing more and more. lol

Down4whatever
08-29-2012, 01:07 PM
Sounds good, just remember everyone is different, so you know to keep experimenting.

And, I beg you......please don't obsess over the scale! Use it as just a small piece of the puzzle. Personally, I think 2,200 calories is low enough and I would only add cardio from there. But like I said, that's what I would do. Do what you gotta do!!

gman
08-29-2012, 01:25 PM
Thanks, Matt. I promise not to obsess over the scale. I am going more by the waist size. If it's getting smaller, I am losing fat, no doubt!

Down4whatever
08-29-2012, 01:33 PM
True that....and also shirts. It's humbling wearing my XL's now cause they make me look skinny. I'm digging out all of my old Large shirts to wear so I feel better :D

Baldiewonkanobi
08-29-2012, 03:04 PM
Well well well. Glad to have you back my friend. Hugs for Paula.

51 is an awsome age in this sport. It will be fun to watch your progress.

Baldie

gman
08-29-2012, 05:12 PM
Thanks, Bill. I hope to do everyone proud this time and stick with it to the end!

Baldiewonkanobi
08-29-2012, 06:30 PM
BTW I don't know whats in the Texas water but good grief look at Matt. He has really added some mass. So looks like if you want to add muscle move to Texas like Matt. If you want to shrink come to Arizona.

Baldie

masterschamp
08-30-2012, 08:39 AM
Mike........take your timme and do it the right way........you WILL be back in a big way, bro.

Keith

gman
08-30-2012, 08:44 AM
Weight 220.2, -1.2 cumulative

Back day

4 sets of pull ups (30 total). Pretty rough at my weight lol
4 sets of seated rows with v-bar
4 sets of bent over bb rows
4 sets of dead lifts (I have a lot of work to do, 275 felt heavy)

Found a great combination for my post workout protein shake: 1/2 cup almond milk, 2 scoops vanilla whey, 1 banana and 2 spoons of PB2 powdered peanut butter, blended with a cup of ice. Wow!

gman
08-30-2012, 08:46 AM
BTW I don't know whats in the Texas water but good grief look at Matt. He has really added some mass. So looks like if you want to add muscle move to Texas like Matt. If you want to shrink come to Arizona.

Baldie

I am planning to prove you can shrink AND grow in Virginia!

gman
08-30-2012, 08:47 AM
Mike........take your timme and do it the right way........you WILL be back in a big way, bro.

Keith

Thanks, Keith. I've got 11 months or so, and will be smart and take it slow

Down4whatever
08-30-2012, 09:00 AM

Baldie

Funny, Bill. I think it has more to do with other things besides water :eek:

I am planning to prove you can shrink AND grow in Virginia!

Hell yeah! Do this! How does Paula feel about you taking on contest prep?

I'll start a journal pretty soon.

gman
08-30-2012, 10:25 AM
Paula is totally behind it...it will probably help our whole family start eating better as a side benefit.

I hope how I am eating in the morning is going to work well. I am almost front loading my calories.... 4 eggs and an Arnold sandwich thin about an hour before I start lifting. Then post-workout, I am having a protein shake with about 400 calories in it. So about 800 calories by 9 am!

Of course this will all change when I go back to lifting at night next week.

gman
08-30-2012, 10:32 AM
Wanted to ask the veterans...I have a very poor upper chest. I plan on doing mostly incline work in an attempt to fill it in. Imagine a line going across from armpit to armpit. I have no mass above that, and have no signs of that look where your pecs almost meet in the middle with a big vertical groove between them. Any tips on growing this area? Matt says I have no androgen receptors there lol

gman
08-31-2012, 01:19 PM
219.8 this morning, -1.6 cumulative

No training today, and legs are really sore, especially my calves, from Tuesday's leg day. Diet is spot on so far, averaging 2200 per day. The myplate app at Livestrong.com is great. I haven't typed a single food I've eaten in without it already being in the data base. I highly recommend checking it out if you are into tracking things this closely.

HeavyDutyGuy
08-31-2012, 03:24 PM
Wanted to ask the veterans...I have a very poor upper chest. I plan on doing mostly incline work in an attempt to fill it in. Imagine a line going across from armpit to armpit. I have no mass above that, and have no signs of that look where your pecs almost meet in the middle with a big vertical groove between them. Any tips on growing this area? Matt says I have no androgen receptors there lolSmith machine Incline press- low incline- medium grip- elbows out. You can also do what Larry Scott once wrote about- pump the lower pecs with benches, flyes and dips, then do inclines to coax the pump into the upper pecs

Mac
08-31-2012, 05:41 PM
Wanted to ask the veterans...I have a very poor upper chest. I plan on doing mostly incline work in an attempt to fill it in. Imagine a line going across from armpit to armpit. I have no mass above that, and have no signs of that look where your pecs almost meet in the middle with a big vertical groove between them. Any tips on growing this area? Matt says I have no androgen receptors there lol

You're probably using more of your shoulders and triceps for pressing than you are your upper chest. Back the weight down and concentrate on those muscles moving the weights. I had the same problems with getting my chest to respond and I wasn't using my chest muscle as much as I was my shoulders.

gman
08-31-2012, 10:53 PM
Great advice you guys...I never thought of using the smith machine, and using lighter Weights is worth trying, but I am already lifting what most would consider light! But I have to get the ego out of the way...it's not a powerlifting contest

masterschamp
09-01-2012, 08:45 AM
DB pullovers across a bench can help fill in the area around the clavicles.

Keith

gman
09-02-2012, 09:35 PM
I am going to try some of these next chest day.

Went on a kayak trip on Saturday morning with Paula...we launched in First Landing State Park and went over to an area where we paddled down an inlet with some beautiful homes.

Shoulders on Saturday pm:
Standing db shoulder press 4/8-10
Reverse flys on pec dec: 4/10-12
Front bb raises: 4/10
Side laterals, palms forward, arms straight: 4/10

Legs today:

Smith squats 3/6
Db step ups, 3/12 on each leg, all reps on one leg, then switch to other leg
One leg at a time leg press 3 sets of 6 on each leg
Bent leg bridges with feet on bench...for glutes and hams, held plate on chest
Seated calf raises 3/10

Did this in 30 minutes, so was very wiped

Hammerfit
09-03-2012, 09:53 AM
I am going to try some of these next chest day.

Went on a kayak trip on Saturday morning with Paula...we launched in First Landing State Park and went over to an area where we paddled down an inlet with some beautiful homes.

Shoulders on Saturday pm:
Standing db shoulder press 4/8-10
Reverse flys on pec dec: 4/10-12
Front bb raises: 4/10
Side laterals, palms forward, arms straight: 4/10

Legs today:

Smith squats 3/6
Db step ups, 3/12 on each leg, all reps on one leg, then switch to other leg
One leg at a time leg press 3 sets of 6 on each leg
Bent leg bridges with feet on bench...for glutes and hams, held plate on chest
Seated calf raises 3/10

Did this in 30 minutes, so was very wiped

Kayak trip sounds nice...want to get one of those rigged up for offshore fishing

Nice leg routine!

blu2xtreme
09-03-2012, 09:55 PM
Always have been supportive of your goals Mike and always will be. I love our active physical life and wouldn't want us to be any different then when we met. I am very proud of you, my job will ease up soon and I will be able to give it 100% again!

Mac
09-03-2012, 10:03 PM
Always have been supportive of your goals Mike and always will be. I love our active physical life and wouldn't want us to be any different then when we met. I am very proud of you, my job will ease up soon and I will be able to give it 100% again!

Hi Paula. Congrats on getting married :D

masterschamp
09-04-2012, 05:06 AM
with a woman like that by your side you can't go wrong Mike

Keith

gman
09-04-2012, 10:36 AM
I m lucky to have Paula to back me up!

Weighed 221.2 this morning, so very little weight loss in the past week, less than a pound.

Had one bad meal on Friday at the Tides game (AAA for the Orioles). Italian sausage and a beer.

Had one bad meal on Sunday at mom's, cheeseburger, one spoon of baked beans, one spoon of pasta salad and a handful of chips.

Just shows that it doesn't take much, I was under 220 Friday morning, and now back up.

Tonight when Paula gets home, we will hit the gym for a chest workout, and I plan on blasting it really good.

freebirdmac
09-04-2012, 11:27 AM
Good luck Mike!

gman
09-04-2012, 12:50 PM
Good luck Mike!

Thanks, Pam! Long time, no see!

HeavyDutyGuy
09-04-2012, 12:59 PM
Just remember- a lb is really nothing. Loss or gain. It might not even be fat- or muscle. It could be water, from all that sodium in the pizza one ate Saturday night, or that buffet. Fat, and muscle, loss or gain happens over time-weeks and months, not hours or days. Keep perspective and stay focused. And train hard!

gman
09-04-2012, 09:50 PM
Will do, James.

Paula and I headed to the gym at 8 tonight...despite being on the HCG diet, she hung in with me for 3 of the exercises, then she went and did 20 minutes of cardio. What a trooper!

Incline bench: 4 sets
Pec deck: 4 sets
Incline db flys: 4 sets
Straight arm db pullovers: 4 sets
Body weight dips: 3 sets to failure

Had a crown done at 3:30, and thoroughly didn't enjoy that!

Hammerfit
09-05-2012, 10:00 AM
Will do, James.

Paula and I headed to the gym at 8 tonight...despite being on the HCG diet, she hung in with me for 3 of the exercises, then she went and did 20 minutes of cardio. What a trooper!

Incline bench: 4 sets
Pec deck: 4 sets
Incline db flys: 4 sets
Straight arm db pullovers: 4 sets
Body weight dips: 3 sets to failure

Had a crown done at 3:30, and thoroughly didn't enjoy that!

Crown yuck! Great training!

gman
09-06-2012, 09:34 PM
Crown yuck! Great training!

Thanks, Hammer! Temporary crown is doing ok so far, just too bad I don't have dental insurance...$1,000 down the toilet. Could have bought a lot of gear lol

gman
09-06-2012, 09:43 PM
Tonight I did back with Paula...she did well again considering she's on hcg diet. 500 calories isn't a lot of fuel!

Underhand pull ups: 4 sets. Haven't done in forever and they were tough. Did 11, 7 6 and 6

Seated cable rows, v grip: 4 sets

Shrugs on Atlantis machine, each handle is independent: 4 sets

Inverted rows: 4 sets

Rack deads: 4 sets...grip was giving out. May have to wear my versa grips now that I am training for bodybuilding again

Baldiewonkanobi
09-06-2012, 11:24 PM
Thanks, Hammer! Temporary crown is doing ok so far, just too bad I don't have dental insurance...$1,000 down the toilet. Could have bought a lot of gear lol

Good grief tell me about it. I'm on a fixed income with no dental. Lost my upper plate IN MY HOME and can't find the sucker??? $1500 down the drain here. Yes at todays amazing LOW prices thats a lot of gear. $20 a week gets you 500mg TE and 200mg D.

Baldie

gman
09-07-2012, 06:13 AM
218.2 this morning, so right on track at 3.2 lbs

Waist Down 1/2" at 39.75"

It's weird that I can crunch down and see top 2 abs at 20+% bf

Mac
09-07-2012, 08:28 AM
It's weird that I can crunch down and see top 2 abs at 20+% bf

The reason for this is because you actually have developed abdominal muscles. Imagine how great they will look when you're ripped!

gman
09-07-2012, 08:41 AM
The reason for this is because you actually have developed abdominal muscles. Imagine how great they will look when you're ripped!

Lol, hope it's true, but I've hardly squatted or dead lifted in the past 6 months. And I never do ab work! Maybe I'm genetically blessed and don't know it because of the fat.

gman
09-07-2012, 07:18 PM
Paula and I did shoulders this evening, 4 sets of each

Seated bb shoulder press
Reverse flys on pec deck
Front bb raises with those preweighted small bb's
Lateral db raises
Upright rows with plate

Shoulders were on fire!

gman
09-07-2012, 07:21 PM
Here we are afterwards

http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx320/paulaannmike/2BE004D6-2F61-4BC8-A80B-99E58428AFF0-26801-00002EDB7A2893F3.jpg

http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx320/paulaannmike/CEDA128D-3FCF-4A4F-85E6-C560077ABD71-26801-00002EDB71E2B10F.jpg

gman
09-08-2012, 02:55 PM
Had a rough leg day, really felt bad during and after training

My guess is not enough food. I only ate one meal (4 eggs and 100 calorie English muffin) at 9 am, and trained at 12-1.

Squats: 185/8 185/8 205/8 205/6
SLDL: 185, sets of 8 8 7 6
Leg curl and leg extension, alternating, 4 sets of each.

Easy workout and felt the worst I've felt in a long time!

HeavyDutyGuy
09-08-2012, 05:19 PM
So maybe $50 a week gets you a pro card?

HeavyDutyGuy
09-08-2012, 05:29 PM
Referring of course to the previous page which my browser opened instead of this one, since it knows better!

Hammerfit
09-09-2012, 10:49 AM
Great pics of you two!

gman
09-10-2012, 09:28 PM
So maybe $50 a week gets you a pro card?

That, and 300 worth of food!

gman
09-10-2012, 09:29 PM
Great pics of you two!

Thanks, Hammer!

gman
09-10-2012, 09:34 PM
Chest night, 4 sets of each

Incline db
Pec dec
Smith machine inclines, closer grip
Incline db flys
Low to high cable flys
Dips to failure

Tried to go heavier and do fewer reps. It went well and I think it will make a big difference in the long run

gman
09-10-2012, 09:51 PM
At some point, we will have to add arms back in to our split. Haven't done arms in so long, but I know from a bodybuilding point of view, I need to.

ayezer
09-10-2012, 10:33 PM
keep up good work

gman
09-11-2012, 06:12 AM
keep up good work

Thanks, no slacking allowed!

gman
09-11-2012, 06:18 AM
After two weeks, waist is down a whole inch, at 39.25"

On Friday, I weighed 216.6, but today I am at 219.0, so down only a total of 2.8 in two weeks. Not too worried since my waist has dropped an inch! I am thinking I am just holding water. No matter what, I still am averaging a pound and a half per week, which is the long term goal

gman
09-12-2012, 10:15 PM
Back night

Wide pull ups: 10 8 6 5
Seated rows wide grip: 180/8 195/8 210/7 210/6
Bent over bb rows: 175/8 195/8 195/8 195/8
Dead lifts: 275/5 3 sets. Was having bad heartburn at this point or would have tried heavier

Hammerfit
09-13-2012, 01:34 PM
Back night

Wide pull ups: 10 8 6 5
Seated rows wide grip: 180/8 195/8 210/7 210/6
Bent over bb rows: 175/8 195/8 195/8 195/8
Dead lifts: 275/5 3 sets. Was having bad heartburn at this point or would have tried heavier

Deadlift @ end is bad ass! Good job on the tightening up too!

HeavyDutyGuy
09-14-2012, 01:14 PM
Good to see you posting again. Just was not the same without you and Paula.

blu2xtreme
09-14-2012, 09:31 PM
Good to see you posting again. Just was not the same without you and Paula.

Thanks , I do workout every training day with Mike. Just maintaining strength right now as I diet a little. Lost 16 lbs, soon it will be time to bump up my lifts and strength! I also go down to a shorter work week next week and will have more time to devote to our goals. Mike is a wonderful training partner...I am very lucky!

gman
09-14-2012, 10:27 PM
Deadlift @ end is bad ass! Good job on the tightening up too!

Thanks, and dead lifting at the end kicked my ass!

gman
09-14-2012, 10:29 PM
Thanks , I do workout every training day with Mike. Just maintaining strength right now as I diet a little. Lost 16 lbs, soon it will be time to bump up my lifts and strength! I also go down to a shorter work week next week and will have more time to devote to our goals. Mike is a wonderful training partner...I am very lucky!

Thanks, James...Paula and I are really working hard and we both are going all out to pack on some muscle after we cut to a decent weight/bf%

gman
09-14-2012, 10:33 PM
Tonight we did shoulders, the gym was packed.

Seated bb front shoulder press: 115/8 135/6 135/5 135/5
Reverse db flys: used 60's and did 4 sets of 10
Front raises with 60 lb preset small bb: 4 sets of 8
Laterals with palms facing forward: 4 sets of 10, 15lbers were enough to burn me up
Finished with 4 sets of 10 upright rows with the same 60 lb preloaded small bb

gman
09-17-2012, 09:56 PM
Leg night.

Stiff leg deads: 225/8 245/8 245/8 265/7 265/7 285/5
Squats: 205/6 205/6 225/4 225/4
Leg extensions: 4 sets
Leg presses, 1 leg: 3 sets with each leg, alternating

Down4whatever
09-18-2012, 08:57 AM
Stiff leg deads: 225/8 245/8 245/8 265/7 265/7 285/5

Wow! Are you able to walk today, Mike?

Personally, I have never gone over 225# for this movement, but it's not one of my staples either. I think maybe I need to make it a staple because I always get hamstring DOMS for 3 days when I perform them.

Great work, Brother Mike!

gman
09-18-2012, 03:29 PM
Wow! Are you able to walk today, Mike?

Personally, I have never gone over 225# for this movement, but it's not one of my staples either. I think maybe I need to make it a staple because I always get hamstring DOMS for 3 days when I perform them.

Great work, Brother Mike!

Hey Matt...probably helped that I got out of strongman mindset and used VersaGrips to hold the weight!

The reason my split was so whack looking is that there were two young guys doing bb step ups just in front of the squat rack. They were just using the squat rack pegs to rest the bb between sets. They also were doing leg presses in their rotation, so I couldnt do those either. lol

Ended up being a great training session to SLDL first, then squats after they cleared out.

gman
09-18-2012, 03:34 PM
BTW I am not sure why my squat weights are so weak. I look like I should easily be able to put up 275+ for reps, but for some reason, I just haven't been able to get there over the years. I think I have squatted 285 for a set of 3 in my life, and that was my best ever.

HeavyDutyGuy
09-18-2012, 04:42 PM
Hey Matt...probably helped that I got out of strongman mindset and used VersaGrips to hold the weight!

The reason my split was so whack looking is that there were two young guys doing bb step ups just in front of the squat rack. They were just using the squat rack pegs to rest the bb between sets. They also were doing leg presses in their rotation, so I couldnt do those either. lol

Ended up being a great training session to SLDL first, then squats after they cleared out.
Shoulda just cleared them out like a boss and owned the rack. Oh hell, I don't even know what that means, Great workout!

gman
09-19-2012, 11:15 AM
Haha, James, it was tempting, but I am too nice, I guess.

Last night was chest night.

Flat bb bench: 8/185 5/205 4/205 3/205

Incline bb bench: 8/155 4/175 6/165 5/65

Flat db flys: 4 sets of 10 at 45

Incline db flys: 4 sets at 45, 9 8 8 and 7

3 sets of bw dips to failure

Chest still doesn't look any better. I am beginning to think Matt is right. All my androgen receptors are in my legs and none are in my chest lol

gman
09-20-2012, 09:01 AM
Back this morning

Underhand shoulder width pull-ups: 10 9 6 5. Didn't rest enough between sets.

Seated row, v-bar: 190/8 205/7 205/7 205/8

BB rows at 185: 8 8 7 8

Rack deads above knee: 315/10 405/8 455/5(tweaked back) 405/8

Paula trained hard too, I caught her sweating :)

Down4whatever
09-20-2012, 09:09 AM
Morning training again? You switching back and forth?

What is your projected contest date again? Michelle and I are starting to plan 2013 vacations and we want to try and make it to your contest.

gman
09-20-2012, 11:16 AM
Morning training again? You switching back and forth?

What is your projected contest date again? Michelle and I are starting to plan 2013 vacations and we want to try and make it to your contest.

Paula just started her 3-day work week, so we are going to be going mostly mornings now.

It's weird when you get used to going a certain time of day, and then switch. I felt very weak this morning, and I used to be stronger in the morning back in 2009-10 when I went to Columbus for the Masters Challenge.

Looking at two possible shows....one was the Virginia Grand Prix which was June 23rd this year. The other is the VA/DC State which was August 4 this year.

I am leaning toward the latter show since it gives me more time to get things done the right way. Any input from the veterans would be appreciated!

gman
09-20-2012, 11:23 AM
I am considering doing a cycle of Halo and Cyanostane, but am waiting to get bloodwork prescription and results first. My TRT dose is 200 per week, and my doc and I are thinking of cutting it down as it is driving my Hematocrit and RBC to the high level. I am also having moderate blood pressure problems (readings of 125-130 for the top number, and 85-90 for the bottom number, even on 5 mg of lisinopril per day. I have read that TRT can cause bp to go up, especially if you are taking a dosage that is too high for the long term.

To complicate things, I can't give blood because I was honest and told them we went to Costa Rica in May. Due to malaria being present there, I cannot give blood until May 2013.

So right now, no prohormones until we get the bloodwork results.

Down4whatever
09-20-2012, 11:40 AM
I'm no doctor, but 125-130/85-90 is not bad blood pressure IMO. That's about where mine lives these days.

I'd be interested to see if anyone else chimes in on this.

gman
09-20-2012, 11:46 AM
When I was in Columbus it was running 115/70

I believe 120-130 top and 80-90 bottom are borderline high, but I could be wrong.

Plus I am a little paranoid as my dad died at 44 from heart disease.

Plus remember, I am already taking a healthy dose of bp medication, and it's not driving it down to normal range.

Edit: actually I am on a fairly low dosage still...typical dosage is initially 10mg per day, and after that 20 mg

My doc originally put me on it due to its positive effects on kidney health, with bp as secondary benefit

Down4whatever
09-20-2012, 12:00 PM
Makes sense, Mike. Definitely do what your Physician recommends. It just struck me as strange. And, yes, HRT drove my BP up too. I used to be 120/80 like clockwork before HRT

gman
09-20-2012, 12:09 PM
Makes sense, Mike. Definitely do what your Physician recommends. It just struck me as strange. And, yes, HRT drove my BP up too. I used to be 120/80 like clockwork before HRT

I am thinking that the RBC count and hematocrit levels going up somehow thicken your blood and make it harder to pump. Just my guess though.

Of course, when RBC and hematocrit are elevated, it's a definite sign that you are overdosing on testosterone. That's why I want to go lower on my dose. I can always supplement once in a while when I need to! lol

masterschamp
09-20-2012, 12:21 PM
high rbc count will make you more vascular and look more pumped due to the increased pressure required by the heart to pump the "thickened" blood. EQ is known for producing wicked vascularity for this reason....also known for shooting up rbc count. If you are having issues with regular HRT therapy .....I would avoid certain things in the future ..i.e...EQ, etc....

Hammerfit
09-20-2012, 02:58 PM
bottom number of 90 def not good CoQ10, celery seed xtract are what I use to keep down

gman
09-20-2012, 03:33 PM
high rbc count will make you more vascular and look more pumped due to the increased pressure required by the heart to pump the "thickened" blood. EQ is known for producing wicked vascularity for this reason....also known for shooting up rbc count. If you are having issues with regular HRT therapy .....I would avoid certain things in the future ..i.e...EQ, etc....

Yeah, I haven't been up way above the top of normal before, but haven't had labs in 9 months, so I could be up higher now than ever. It will be interesting to see in a couple of weeks

bottom number of 90 def not good CoQ10, celery seed xtract are what I use to keep down

90 worries me, but usually mid 80's. I would hate to know what it is when I am actually under load doing deads or squats. I have heard good things about celery seed extract.

gman
09-21-2012, 08:55 AM
Shoulders

Standing bb press, no cheating: 115/8 115/8 125/7 125/8

Reverse db flys, seated: 50's. 4 sets of 8

Front raises with small preloaded bb: 70 4 sets of 8

Laterals with 30's: 4 sets of 8

Had solid food post workout. Eggs and an English muffin with butter...wow you can feel the food being sucked up by your body almost immediately

hifrommike65
09-22-2012, 01:02 AM
The body after a good workout is like Ryback after trashing a couple of punks in the WWE ring: FEED ME MORE!

gman
09-24-2012, 11:52 AM
The body after a good workout is like Ryback after trashing a couple of punks in the WWE ring: FEED ME MORE!

It's true. It's amazing how quick your body gets the nutrients going when it needs them.

gman
09-24-2012, 11:55 AM
We took Saturday off and hiked 3 miles in First Landing State Park.

Sunday we did legs:

Squats: 185/8, then 3 sets of 225/5
One legged leg press: 4 sets of 12 on each leg, going deep, feet high to emphasize hams
Superset between leg extension and leg curl: 4 sets each

No weight lost in the past week, and waist stayed the same. Might have to do some cardio.

gman
09-24-2012, 11:58 AM
This is ridiculously funny

http://i.imgur.com/cjWAf.gif

Mac
09-24-2012, 12:04 PM
We took Saturday off and hiked 3 miles in First Landing State Park.

Sunday we did legs:

Squats: 185/8, then 3 sets of 225/5
One legged leg press: 4 sets of 12 on each leg, going deep, feet high to emphasize hams
Superset between leg extension and leg curl: 4 sets each

No weight lost in the past week, and waist stayed the same. Might have to do some cardio.

Did you ever try intermittent fasting?

gman
09-24-2012, 12:33 PM
Did you ever try intermittent fasting?

No sir, I have not. I need to read more about it, and see if I might like to try it!

HeavyDutyGuy
09-24-2012, 02:46 PM
LOL! true.

gman
09-26-2012, 05:37 PM
Last night was chest

Incline BB press: 4/185 6/175 5/175 5/175. I am the weakest chested guy ever on 200mg of TRT. Hopefully will get stronger
Pec deck: 12/150 10/165 10/170 8/170
Flat db press: 75/8 85/3 (sucked, so moved back down), 75/6 75/6
DB pullovers: 85/10 85/9 85/9 85/8
Bodyweight dips to failure: 4 sets

gman
09-27-2012, 09:43 AM
Did back this morning, as we are taking a half day off today and all day tomorrow to spend a couple of days up in the Shenandoah National Park area. Paula is taking me up for my birthday, and we will be hiking a few hours each day. We will miss our shoulder day, but I think I have a good excuse this time!

Weight is holding steady at 216, so down 5 1/2 lbs since I started, but was 5 lbs down after two weeks and have not lost since.

Anyway

Underhand pullups: 9 7 6 5
Seated rows: 205/7 205/6 205/6 205/6
Shrugs on Atlantis machine: 12/315, 10/365. 10/365, 8/365
Yates rows: 185/8 205/5 205/5 205/5

Mac
09-27-2012, 11:22 AM
Weight is holding steady at 216, so down 5 1/2 lbs since I started, but was 5 lbs down after two weeks and have not lost since.

Don't use the scale as your ultimate tool since you don't know how much muscle you may have gained since you started back training harder again?

gman
10-04-2012, 11:10 AM
Had a nice trip. Hiked 10 miles Friday and was dead. I wore minimalist shoes and my calves were on fire all day Saturday and Sunday. Lots of up and downhill hiking. We got to see President Hoover's Rapidan Camp, and that was cool.

So we basically went Friday through Monday with no lifting, and we ate off plan, but hopefully no damage. I was afraid to weigh and still haven't!

Tuesday we did chest and I definitely was weak:

Incline bench: 10/135 4/175 4/175 5/175 (cheated last one up)
Incline flys with 45's: 8 8 7 8
Flat db press with 65's: 6 5 5 4
Flat db flys with 45's: 6 6 5 5

I must have rested less between sets because I was totally worn out and running out of gas on the exercises.

This morning we did a back day, and I didn't do a lot of exercises because I deadlifted.

Pullups 9 7 7 5
Deadlifts 275/6 315/5 365/4 365/4

Totally drenched after deads, I am so psyched to be doing them seriously again, can't wait to get stronger again at them

gman
10-08-2012, 11:31 AM
Abbreviated leg day....

Tried front squats. If I put any weight on at all, I cannot hold the bar up with the arms crossed method, and my wrists aren't flexible enough to do it the alternate way. I have no idea how anyone can front squat, much less with 315+!

Switched to back squats. I had wondered why my quads never hurt after squatting. Apparently I was doing the type of squat where you hold the bar down on your back, and in that position you use more ass and hams. So I put the bar up more on my neck and I could feel the difference in where my legs were effected

185/8 225/5 245/4 225/5

Then stiff leg deads, no straps this time: 225/8 225/8 245/4 225/6

gman
10-11-2012, 01:17 PM
Busy as hell at work...the final deadline for extensions is Monday.

We did Chest and a small amount of shoulders on Tuesday

Flat bench press: 8/185 6/205 5/225 4/225 (haven't done 225 in a long time...but felt pretty strong)
Pec deck: 10/165 9/170 8/175 8/175
Flat flys: 8/55 7/55 5/55 5/55
Standing db press with 55's: 6 5 5 4...triceps were fried and I was giving out

Today was back

Reverse grip pull ups, just inside shoulder width. short rest periods: 10 8 7 6
Seated row with wide bar: 185/8 185/8 185/7 185/7
Atlantis machine shrugs (actually use plates on it, it's kind of like a hammer strength machine...each hand can move independently): 315/10 365/10 365/9 365/8
Back hyperextensions at bodyweight, don't know what the apparatus is called: 2 sets of 10, 2 sets of 8

Down4whatever
10-29-2012, 12:47 PM
Mike & Paula, hope you guys are safe from the storms. Take care!

Mac
10-29-2012, 02:30 PM
Mike & Paula, hope you guys are safe from the storms. Take care!

Yes, I was thinking the same thing when I saw a news report from VA Beach and thought of you two.

Let us know you'll are OK when it's done and over.