PDA

View Full Version : Do you consider FBB's a "Sisterhood"?

SallyAnne
04-20-2009, 01:57 PM
I do. I look at all FBB's as my sister in a way. I think because there just aren't that many of us and we should stick together. lol I'm from a small town and there are zero women who have muscles. IMO, the best part of doing a competition is getting together with other female bodybuilders to connect. I miss that throughout the rest of the year. I think it's why I get online so much. I can connect with all of you every day, even if it's not on the same level as it would be in person. :love:

~gymdiva~
04-20-2009, 02:52 PM
yeah it was so great to be around Kristen and Ann this weekend...it's partly an understood thing where you might do something like say, pull chicken out of your purse, and us within the sport won't even bat an eyelash...then there's the stagemom factor! I had to be there for my girl!

we just all "get it"...Kristen, Kim, and myself had a fun discussion at a table outside of the arnold expo last month about how many people in our lives don't "get it"...but all of us know...and it truly makes for a strong bond amongst us...

GirlyMuscle
04-20-2009, 04:27 PM
I agree completely. We're like a sorority of sorts.

I've never had a lot of girlfriends. I like guy friends much more. Guys are what you see is what you get. I like that. And I'm into guy things motorcycles, bodybuilding, boats, fishing, etc. I find that many of the women who are in BBing are the same way. I think that develops a trust among us.

SallyAnne
04-20-2009, 04:38 PM
I always get flack for standing up for other FBB's on this forum and when I was at MD. From men, mostly. lol Because it feels like a sisterhood to me, I always feel the need to stand up for other fbb's when they get attacked on the forums. Maybe I'm over protective, but it always feels like a member of my family is getting picked on. lol

tammyp
04-20-2009, 04:43 PM
100% true! i think that is why we felt so peeved about debbie. when it happens to 1 it happens to us all.

we need to stick together, theres to few of us to not.

RealLilSwole
04-20-2009, 04:49 PM
I have a question about the whole Debbie situation. And I love Debbie #1. She has always been so nice to me. But if memory serves me correctly, and I could be wrong, didn't Shawn Ray accuse Flex Wheeler of having calf implants back in the day. Didn't the IFBB make him get scanned? Someone accused someone, not exactly sure if it was those two? So my question is.....Do you think the IFBB might possibly make her get a scan now? I personally don't think she did it....why would she?

Tatyana
04-20-2009, 05:01 PM
Yes, I do.

For the most part, even when at comps and backstage I have had an absolute scream and all the women have gotten on really well and been really supportive.

I think creating divisions between fitness, figure, bbing, natural or enhanced is just silly as there are so few women that want to put on muscle.

RealLilSwole
04-20-2009, 05:10 PM
ANd yes....i love my fellow sisters of muscle.

AnglicanBeachParty
04-20-2009, 05:33 PM
...it's partly an understood thing where you might do something like say, pull chicken out of your purse, and us within the sport won't even bat an eyelash...

LOL! So true.

:D

sassy69
04-20-2009, 06:30 PM
Because its such a lifestyle thing and also that most of us, starting from whatever direction we did, generally end up following the same path (asking the same diet quetions, evolves into more lifting questions, etc, etc. etc), we can all totally relate. Its SO nice to find people who just "get" you. We may have our different flavors of how we define ourselves (e.g. BB, vs Figure, etc.) but the stuff that makes up each of those associations is how we spend our time / find our passion / push the outer edges to build our own self-confidence.

SallyAnne
04-20-2009, 06:32 PM
Because its such a lifestyle thing and also that most of us, starting from whatever direction we did, generally end up following the same path (asking the same diet quetions, evolves into more lifting questions, etc, etc. etc), we can all totally relate. Its SO nice to find people who just "get" you. We may have our different flavors of how we define ourselves (e.g. BB, vs Figure, etc.) but the stuff that makes up each of those associations is how we spend our time / find our passion / push the outer edges to build our own self-confidence.

That's a good point. When I use the term FBB, I think of all women who push the iron. I actually hate classifying women into bb, fig, etc because we all train, diet, etc.

Allifit
04-20-2009, 07:00 PM
100% true! i think that is why we felt so peeved about debbie. when it happens to 1 it happens to us all.

we need to stick together, theres to few of us to not.

What happened to Debbie?

AndroGrrL
04-20-2009, 07:01 PM
What happened to Debbie?

No clue...something that got WisconsinBB banned though...I'm still trying to piece it together.:confused:

Allifit
04-20-2009, 07:02 PM
I agree completely. We're like a sorority of sorts.

I've never had a lot of girlfriends. I like guy friends much more. Guys are what you see is what you get. I like that.

I know I'm not a bber- but bber, figure, fitness, whatever, I honestly adore my friends who compete. Talking to them, posting on here, makes me feel sane, makes me feel like I'm not alone in the way I think or feel sometimes. And ultimately I have respect for all of us, for women who compete. :)

Sistersteel
04-20-2009, 07:02 PM
My sentiments exactly. The only place I had friends for the longest was online. I dealt with my share of headaches and only frequented invite only communities where I felt comfortable and safe from the lashing tongues of hateful and resentful people. Years later, I made staff on some very reputable boards. That made it easier for me to enforce the rules that protected female bodybuilders from hurtful criticism and made sure that all women felt welcome in my communities. We are certainly a rare breed and It would be nice to get together more frequently to interact as human beings rather than than screen names and avatars... but it is what it is. I have had the privilege of getting acquainted with many like minded women from all walks of life on these boards, and in time have met some of them in person. So despite the lack of real life interaction and that companionship that I have sought for years, I still found friends who have given me a sense of belonging. That escape is the highlight of my day, every day. And for that, I am grateful to have all of you.

SS

sassy69
04-20-2009, 07:44 PM
Estrogen gladiators unite!

debbiebramwell
04-20-2009, 10:40 PM
I sure do feel like its a sisterhood....I seek to be my best and to be happy and all those wonderful things....and I want that for every other woman......I would help every woman standing next to me......I am like this with any woman though.....we all have the same emotions, desires, fears we should understand each other, support one anther and encourage each other....I really believe any women who doesnt do this just is not in a good place within....because when you are then you are filled with love and thats all you have to give away......,.
Sallyane, I am like you...I think I would be even more feisty and protective if that had be someone else in my shoes....I dont like to see anyone hurt..... but heres to my sisters with love:beerbang:

Sistersteel
04-21-2009, 03:42 AM
Estrogen gladiators unite!

LMFAO!! I love it!

Allifit
04-21-2009, 08:37 AM
we all have the same emotions, desires, fears we should understand each other, support one anther and encourage each other....I really believe any women who doesnt do this just is not in a good place within

I agree 100%. There are enough haters out there to last a lifetime- I think its far more rare and far more meaningful to be supportive and encouraging to each other then it is to be malicious or hateful.

I've always admired your attitude and your outlook Debbie! Good to see you in here!

XOXOXO

debbiebramwell
04-21-2009, 10:11 AM
I agree 100%. There are enough haters out there to last a lifetime- I think its far more rare and far more meaningful to be supportive and encouraging to each other then it is to be malicious or hateful.

I've always admired your attitude and your outlook Debbie! Good to see you in here!

XOXOXO

I truly love to see other woman"happy" and 'feel good" about themselves...it brings me joy! I look at all of you with loving eyes......thats what being spirtitual is about!;) xoxoxoxo

dvsness
04-23-2009, 12:29 PM
It's nice to know there are others who 'get it'.

~gymdiva~
04-23-2009, 10:25 PM
I think I would be even more feisty and protective if that had be someone else in my shoes

huh? did someone mention shoes???

;)

sassy69
04-24-2009, 01:57 AM
huh? did someone mention shoes???

;)

My dress shoe collection is Imelda-ish, but even my tennis shoes collection is pretty respectable. But a couple of my meathead buddies at the gym... man I should get pictures of them every day. Its like a fashion show w/ the matching gym shoes & workout clothes. Puts my stuff to shame!

KBigz81
04-30-2009, 07:27 AM
This is about the only support I have other than my husband..who really doesn't understand my "obsession". At least thats what he calls it. I'm so glad I found this board! I'm proud to be a fbber, and its something no one can take away from me!

ms_moneypenny
05-03-2009, 09:42 AM
I am competittive by nature...always played sports and had the mind-set of me vs them. Then I got into bodybuilding. I was close with the girls who trained at the same gym as me, actually got a great friendship with one gal...but still had an "us vs. them" headspace. As I prepared for my first nationals, I was expecting a bitchfest (my own ignorance plus the hype of a few men i knew who had been there before)

what a shocker!! Of course everyone WAS there for themselve's...but everyone was super friendly, wishing everyone well, etc. Sisterhood? Fo sho!