PDA

View Full Version : Women and the Offseason!

huge285
04-21-2009, 01:17 AM
Good article by LEIGH PENMAN on women bodybuilders and offseason "physique"

http://www.rxmuscle.com/the-women/231-altered-images-adapting-to-the-offseason-physique.html

Sistersteel
04-21-2009, 03:57 AM
Leigh stuns us yet again with another excellent write-up. I've enjoyed this very pleasant, lighthearted read immensely.

I would like to add that most offseason weight gain is generally attributed to a variety of factors, with post contest rebounds being the number one contributor. That is followed by lax eating habits, a fraction of prep cardio coupled with a woman's natural predisposition to holding on to fat rather easily. Throw in an endless desire to super size and voila! Hello offseason woes.

I think women should find a weight they are comfortable competing at and condition themselves to staying relatively lean in the offseason. That will alleviate most of the stress that comes with a lengthy prep as well as make the offseasons far more manageable.

SS

Allifit
04-21-2009, 08:34 AM
I think women should find a weight they are comfortable competing at and condition themselves to staying relatively lean in the offseason. That will alleviate most of the stress that comes with a lengthy prep as well as make their offseasons far more manageable.

SS

Agreeed. My last contest I was 128 at stage time. Last off season I was 155 which felt like too much for me. Right now I'm steady at 145-147 and although I feel a little on the fluff side (Water retention mostly I think) I feel so much better at this weight then I did before.

GirlyMuscle
04-21-2009, 09:42 AM
Leigh, you are such and asset to our female community. Keep up the great writing!

bleckrocks
04-21-2009, 04:22 PM
Man, i been wanting to respond to this subject for sometime now.
I know many see me in offseason and say " wow u look great are you
prepping for a show?" my answer is usually no..Then they ask, "how do you
do it? dont you crave?" My answer these days hell past 8 yrs is NO.

After my first painful rebound back in 1993, i was confused. How can in one week look like how you started a few months ago? weight , water mush all around my belly?? yeah i splurged right after my show, and i didnt want to quite, i was 18yrs old and nobody told me how to creep off the diet properly so this shit didnt happen.
1995: do to my awareness, i only allowed a treat every Friday when i got home from work, so the weight that time slowly came on, not as fast as before and the weight looked right.
Lets see 1998,1999 Is when i met a man in Gresham Oregon Dr. David Bohrer. he is who i will give all credit to for my knowledge of prep supps to prep diet and after a show., He built up my library for sure.

So now, i asked him to monitor me after a show, he did, the diet didnt change much, we just added week by week and ever since i never gone about 15 pnds above contest weight. he monitored me for over 5yrs.

2000 Steve Wennerstrom found me when i was crownd Emerald Cup.
He then told me to hold on to that look and to never get bigger. I didnt want to anyways, i wanted muscles harder and learn to get better quality ect ect, slowly not fast. And i believe i accomplished this in the last 9 yrs
of my career on going without blowing up in the offseason, so YES you can add quality muscle without bulking to 30-40pnds over.

So i will say this, after a show, most have family and friends who are so eagered to take u out to eat or bring you all these baked goods.
Tell THEM NOT TO.
You are not HUNGRY after the stage, you are Dehydrated.
What i do is this, i ask my friends to bring me ice tea , diet coke, water
liquids to get that water in me.
I will have an alcohol beverage, sugar in it, does allow me to feel better
and it wont hurt your shape.
I stay away from high sodium foods, body way to sensitive.
I eat a large steak, have a salad , my snack, nuts and dried fruit no salt.

If you choose to lose control and go balls out, i believe this is where everyone loses their control..Brain calling for more, you just thru off your
nervous system, so messages are all over the map at that point.
The other is, most gain to much weight during that time and its what makes that bloated offseason look and doesnt seem to change till one starts to prep for a show.

Next day do my photo shoots, have my bbing foods with me.
I dont change my diet, i just slowly add my carbs in, a week later start allowing sodium in ect ect..
I do not stop doing cardio either...Your body is so use to burning and sweating, you stop sweating you start holding water and u also will start feeling louzy... I not saying go balls out, go for a walk or something doesnt matter..Many like to take weeks off from a gym..I dont believe one has to, we away from the gym for like four days anyways, and i crave to get back in and i love my pumps..
Bodybuilding all year round is structure. Structured workouts, structured eating patterns.
If you dont plan ahead you plan to fail.
I no longer wanted to fail myself..Everyone bust ass! to get to their goal.
Everyone has found their way to eat a certain way to the stage. That means there is a way to have our eating patterns in off season.

On a fun note, if later in any day or at night, or you going thru that funk
feeling, confused, hmm food?? i not hungry but could eat bla bla
take SOMALYZE , u be buzzed in 30mins and dead asleep within the hour.
by time u wake up, the crave or desire is gone. Get on with your day.

xoxo be happy to share more tips, have plenty of them
love to help, dont like reading folks pain, remember food is hormonal. it
will affect you....Just got to be wise about it all and be ontop of it.

Bleckrocksyou

RDFinders
04-21-2009, 07:03 PM
this is really interesting to read the comments here. my weight holds pretty good during the early stages. it is usually right before i start to prep that i feel i look my worst. mostly mental, but i will admit to indulging a little more than normal b/c i know my prep will start soon.

Isabelle Turell
04-28-2009, 01:51 PM
Great article :)