PDA

View Full Version : Trainer Mike Torchia Sues Nintendo Over Wii Fit

huge285
02-12-2009, 10:54 PM
I used to know this guy and train at the same gym with him back in the day!

Trainer Sues Nintendo Over Wii Fit

755Tuesday, February 10, 2009 at 03:08 PM
A California fitness trainer is suing the video game company Nintendo and asking it to pull its Wii Fit games from shelves saying it is "contributing to the epidemic of obesity."

According to Nintendo, by playing the Wii Fit game users can "work towards personal goals of better health and fitness." But Michael Torchia disagrees and says the gamemaker needs to place a warning on the games which say they are for entertainment, not fitness.

Torchia says that in addition to a lack of actual fitness from the game, many users are actually injuring themselves.

"Not only are people getting injured due to a lack of instruction, they are also developing improper stroke patterns from long-term use of the sports games which can potentially [affect] their ability to excel in those specific activities later in life," he said.

Although he does not name the firm, Torchia says he has retained a prominent Beverly Hills law firm to handle his case.

The Wii Fit game has been very popular for Nintendo with company president Satoru Iwata announcing at the end of January that it had sold almost 300,000 copies of the game in the U.S. in one week alone.

Gaoshang Xiongshou
02-12-2009, 11:04 PM
This will never stand up in court.

Canuck_Muscle
02-12-2009, 11:10 PM
LOL that guy is out of his mind. I personally know a few people who have it and they love it. What some poor people will do to get a coin.

Womanthrower
02-12-2009, 11:31 PM
I'm going to sue the makers of whack a mole. Thanks to that game and it's unreal representation of mole whacking I can't compete on the mole whacking circuit.

TRANSMUTATION
02-12-2009, 11:36 PM
...On a douche bag scale I would say this guy is a 9 1/2 out of a possible 10...

Gaoshang Xiongshou
02-12-2009, 11:37 PM
The attorney that took this case is not seeing too clearly either. This is not the worst case that he could have taken, but this will definitely be a bad thing for him. Someone will remember this somewhere down the line, and bring this up, and this foolhardy decision could easily bring about the questioning of his intelligence.

militantmuscle
02-12-2009, 11:38 PM
You guys laugh, but he will probably get a settlement. U.S. government regulation dictates that any private cases brought against a firm in antitrust law entitles the plaintiff treble damages, that's three times whatever the perceived damage is. Whether or not he wins, there is bad publicity, plus it will be in the firm's best interest to settle, even if there is the merest possibility the plaintiff could actually win.

sassy69
02-12-2009, 11:39 PM
Wii Have a Problem (http://www.wiihaveaproblem.com/show_cat.php?cat=16)

Gaoshang Xiongshou
02-12-2009, 11:44 PM
I fail to understand how anyone hurts themselves playing anything on the Wii.

But then again, not everyone just goes for retro gaming on the Wii like I do. I do not have to swing or move anything except my thumbs.

Johnny Phenomenon
02-13-2009, 12:05 AM
I think the idea behind the lawsuit is less about the lawsuit and more about awareness and publicity.

ElSpiko
02-13-2009, 01:22 AM
If you can't play a video game without hurting yourself, then it's your own damn fault. If someone gets hit by a baseball during a baseball game, they do not sue Rawlings. This suit is retarded, it's like sueing a gym because you dropped a plate on your foot.

John Romano
02-13-2009, 01:22 AM
You guys laugh, but he will probably get a settlement. U.S. government regulation dictates that any private cases brought against a firm in antitrust law entitles the plaintiff treble damages, that's three times whatever the perceived damage is. Whether or not he wins, there is bad publicity, plus it will be in the firm's best interest to settle, even if there is the merest possibility the plaintiff could actually win.

How is torchia going to prove damages? He is going to get the settlement while those allegedly harmed get nothing? I don't think so. This law suit is going no where.

BigJD69
02-13-2009, 01:49 AM
He always was a Duschbag!!!!

Aaron Singerman
02-13-2009, 02:08 AM
Jeez... at least the little fat kids are off their asses and moving... What a moron.

hulkish808
02-13-2009, 02:13 AM
just another smuck looking to make easy money... psh...

MartyMcFly
02-13-2009, 02:18 AM
I fail to understand how anyone hurts themselves playing anything on the Wii.

But then again, not everyone just goes for retro gaming on the Wii like I do. I do not have to swing or move anything except my thumbs.

That's me too bro, good 'ol classics.

militantmuscle
02-13-2009, 02:24 AM
How is torchia going to prove damages? He is going to get the settlement while those allegedly harmed get nothing? I don't think so. This law suit is going no where.

Good question, that I'm not sure of John, I don't know the details of the case... who knows? I only have an intermediate knowledge of government regulation and antitrust, and not law. The way I suspect Torchia might explore is to gather those allegedly harmed to be a part of his plot, provide statements, possibly cite incidents of misuse or damages inflicted. He mentions users injuring themselves:

[It seems that up to ten people a week are being hospitalized with injuries caused by playing Nintendo Wii games, prompting doctors in Britain to issue warnings of the dangers associated with the Wii video game system. "Most patients are admitted after playing tennis or running games which involve sudden movements, resulting in tendon stretching or tearing"says, Dr. Dev Mukerjee of Broomfield Hospital, Essex.]

In this situation, depending on how far the case proceeds through the appeals court, Nintendo has to analyze the potential costs of going to court, and the payoffs and losses that can occur should Torchia in the smallest possibility win the case. Depending on who his lawyers are, they can also draw out the case (to define damages, that sort of thing) so that it becomes a liability for Nintendo, and they will settle out of court privately just to shut him up and keep up their lucrative scam of intentionally limiting supply of their console to the North American market to create an artificial demand for their product.

Unfortunately, it's not about right or wrong or motive, but the process. Can Torchia make it through the process, and how?

Caddan
02-13-2009, 02:39 AM

Exactly!
Ridiculous!
:eek:

David
02-13-2009, 02:59 AM

That's why it will become a class action law suit.

Personally I was swinging a Wii controller when I accidentally knocked over a glass sculpture. The sculpture broke, I stepped on glass and now the glass is embedded in my foot, preventing me from walking without pain. I'm now wheelchair bound and there's a deadly fungus growing in my foot because of the cut..... :p :p

Trust me, it's happened to someone.

Dee
02-13-2009, 04:12 AM
im pretty sure a huge, successful corp like nintendo didntly blindly make WiiFit.....they obviously had some experts, fitness experts, involved in making the game....for everything this guy will say in court, there will be someone to say something to counteract that......going no where

-BLP-
02-13-2009, 04:56 AM
wii is fun, try a boxing match , men it physically demanding

Theobeselifter
02-13-2009, 06:37 AM
That guy is full of shit, he needs to find another way to make money. Might I suggest private posing sessions with Steve Blechman.

Theobeselifter
02-13-2009, 06:39 AM

He is going to get 3 times Zero, or get countered sued by nintendo for bullshit. I"m quite sure Nintendo's Multi Million dollar team of lawyers will defuse this 50 dollar a month idiot and whomever he hires to represent his case.

fchris1
02-13-2009, 07:46 AM
this is obviously a publicity stunt for his failing personal training business or other variant business IE - supplement store or something, just to get some free pub out of the deal

-Z-
02-13-2009, 07:59 AM
Why be against something that is helping america get moving?

Skeptic
02-13-2009, 08:48 AM
My 17 year old son plays Rockband and he can ALSO play Beethoven's pathetique piano sonata 1st and 2nd movements on the piano (our particular piano is a 6' Young Chang Prammburger grand).

SO THERE. If Wii fit ruins your fitness then why doesn't Rockband ruin your musicness? Ehh? Ehh? Ehh?

HAH! I've run circles around Torchia with my logic....

GirlyMuscle
02-13-2009, 08:55 AM
Wii Have a Problem (http://www.wiihaveaproblem.com/show_cat.php?cat=16)*giggle*

If anyone gets hurt doing Wii fitness it's because they are drinking at the same time. Every adult I know who plays that thing does so drunk. I'd be willing to bet if we gave one to Foreman he'd play it instead of making gimmicks over and over.

Caleb56
02-13-2009, 08:57 AM
Anything's possible with lawsuits, just look at mcdonalds coffee incident

BABOON
02-13-2009, 09:10 AM
I'm panting like a chased rapist after I play on the Wii fit. This guys a fucking idiot.

Maraxus
02-13-2009, 09:30 AM
Smart guy. great advertisement for his PT business.

Strikerrjones
02-13-2009, 10:24 AM
Wii Have a Problem (http://www.wiihaveaproblem.com/show_cat.php?cat=16)

This makes me weep for the future of humanity.

2manytoyz
02-13-2009, 10:36 AM
I need to return my Wii Fit, I thought I would get in shape with this thing. j/k:D

knine110
02-13-2009, 11:56 AM
First I will say that the Wii is a great tool to get them OFF of the couch. Second Nintendo America probably has lawyers that will EAT his lawyers up. This is going no where and he is making himself look like an asshhole in the process.

Where was his ass 3 years ago BEFORE the Wii came out? This obesity thing is NOT NEW.

ElSpiko
02-13-2009, 12:18 PM
I need to return my Wii Fit, I thought I would get in shape with this thing. j/k:D

I have my wii do my contest prep. I heard Jay is using a wii this year to try and get the O back:D

red barraca
02-13-2009, 12:24 PM
i don't know what it is but i would really like to punch this guy in his b-vow-lottie,has more head than he has body.

red barraca
02-13-2009, 12:31 PM
I have my wii do my contest prep. I heard Jay is using a wii this year to try and get the O back:D

kinda like dexter's''I GAINED A FEW EXTRA POUNDS BECAUSE OF ANABOLIC HALO IS THE REASON I WON THE OLYMPIA''BULLSHIT!

WisconsinBB
02-13-2009, 12:48 PM
This has got to be one of the stupidest lawsuits ever!

ElSpiko
02-13-2009, 01:00 PM
kinda like dexter's''I GAINED A FEW EXTRA POUNDS BECAUSE OF ANABOLIC HALO IS THE REASON I WON THE OLYMPIA''BULLSHIT!

Exactly; everyone it was the combination of Cryotest and Myoshock that allowed him to win the O:D

wnybodybuildingfan
02-13-2009, 04:07 PM
Must be he is losing clients to the Wii Fit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Skeptic
02-13-2009, 05:15 PM
This makes me weep for the future of humanity.

Sadly, lamentably, I find reasons to doubt this every day. I play a game though. I comb the internet everyday to find a reason to stay optimistic. Sort of an equilibrium thing.

The idiots come to me, but I seem to need to seek out the bright stars. So it's a "sort of" equilibrium.

red barraca
02-13-2009, 05:17 PM
Exactly; everyone it was the combination of Cryotest and Myoshock that allowed him to win the O:D

aaahhh!shit!forgot those.

Por2gue
02-13-2009, 05:26 PM
He looks like a HOMO!, that is all I got on this matter.

robert da strongman
02-13-2009, 05:45 PM
he is only suing cuz some little fat kid beat him at wii bowling in walmart

225orDie
02-13-2009, 06:36 PM
This has got to be the dumbest shit I have ever read.....well close to it. MORON!! Sounds like he has taken advice from Steve on marketing his business.

ZacharyKane
02-13-2009, 07:07 PM
What a great gimmick to get himself more clients....or be laughed out of the business forever

Gymnation
02-14-2009, 01:38 AM
Methinks Mr Torchia's PT business is hurting. Too much time on his hands, and he's attacking a video game that actually makes people MOVE.

MartyMcFly
02-14-2009, 01:42 AM
doesn't this guy realize his stupid lawsuit is making him look like a moron? man, where are we coming to?

MartyMcFly
02-14-2009, 01:44 AM
he is only suing cuz some little fat kid beat him at wii bowling in walmart

and the kid was probably overweight too...:)

raggeddesign
02-14-2009, 02:17 AM
Smart guy. great advertisement for his PT business.

Exactly! These tactics aren't new, and we'll start seeing a LOT more of them in the states as times get worse and worse for everyone.

Curt James
02-14-2009, 02:31 AM
I'm going to sue the makers of whack a mole. Thanks to that game and it's unreal representation of mole whacking I can't compete on the mole whacking circuit.

Classic. :D

Curt James
02-14-2009, 02:38 AM

His lawsuit might just be insane but few would deny he had an impressive physique years ago.

http://musclememory.com/show.php?s=mike+torchia&g=M

ripnipple
02-14-2009, 01:38 PM
I have to agree that this guy is a douche bag; remember when he went on some radio show with a story about how many wives he fucked? This guy is a turd wrapped in shit.

chris mason
02-14-2009, 02:28 PM
What a jackass... A real sign of what is wrong in the world today...

Big_Gambino
02-14-2009, 05:29 PM
lol ya i got a 6 pack playing wii, shits great
ahah

Demorak
02-15-2009, 04:34 AM

Trainer Sues Nintendo Over Wii Fit

755Tuesday, February 10, 2009 at 03:08 PM
A California fitness trainer is suing the video game company Nintendo and asking it to pull its Wii Fit games from shelves saying it is "contributing to the epidemic of obesity."

According to Nintendo, by playing the Wii Fit game users can "work towards personal goals of better health and fitness." But Michael Torchia disagrees and says the gamemaker needs to place a warning on the games which say they are for entertainment, not fitness.

Torchia says that in addition to a lack of actual fitness from the game, many users are actually injuring themselves.

"Not only are people getting injured due to a lack of instruction, they are also developing improper stroke patterns from long-term use of the sports games which can potentially [affect] their ability to excel in those specific activities later in life," he said.

Although he does not name the firm, Torchia says he has retained a prominent Beverly Hills law firm to handle his case.

The Wii Fit game has been very popular for Nintendo with company president Satoru Iwata announcing at the end of January that it had sold almost 300,000 copies of the game in the U.S. in one week alone.

ohh like he cares if people get injured or not.....just antoher money hungry asshole

Kenzilla21
02-15-2009, 06:11 PM
Publicity Stunt