PDA

View Full Version : Flye Vs Press

Youngguns
04-22-2009, 01:06 PM
List the objective differences and implications between doing a dumbell press and a dumbell flye if you can.

Frosty
04-22-2009, 01:09 PM
How much a press hits your pectorals depends on a lot of different things like strength balance between muscles and biomechanics. Some guys don't get chest hit well with bench while mine gets trashed. Flies of course allow for more direct stimulation and allow for better ROM and more of a stretch which is good.

Sledge
04-22-2009, 01:10 PM
one is compound one is isolation.

Sledge
04-22-2009, 01:17 PM
So when pressing you have to recruit more muscles and as it's a multi joint movement the muscle contractions create leverage on the joints.

Flys are a single joint movement when done properly (though you often see them done as a kind of palms in press) so the pectoral muscles contract to create leverage at the one joint. Also the distance of the weight from the joint and the overall distence the weight has to move is greater and requires more effort to move less weight.

Youngguns
04-22-2009, 02:06 PM
1) Pressing doesn't recruit more muscles than a flye at the shoulder joint if the torques are the same.
2) Flyes are a multi-joint movement (scapulothoracic- ac- sc, glenohumeral, elbow) and not an 'isolation' movement. There is torque across the elbow, it just doesn't move. And there is no such thing as a 'shoulder' joint, it comprises of 3 joints. The state of scapulothoracic relationship will ultimately determine how much pec is used during either a flye or a press more than anything.
3) Pectoral muscles contract to create leverage at one joint, whether it be a flye or a press.
4) The distance of the weight not only creates more torque (or 'weight' in your words) which is a product of mass x distance. But also the 'weight' (the real word) increases exponentially because the inertial affects are greater.
5) How much a press hits your pecs doesn't depend on "strength balance" ... so what does that mean? Don't say something because it will make you sound smart.... What strength imbalances? Where? Did you test them?
6) You mentioning biomechanics as being important not defining the issues of biomechanics just makes you a Kool-Aid drinker. What biomechanics?
7) Some guys have there chest-wall trashed and others don't because of the same reasons as above.

Frosty
04-22-2009, 02:10 PM
5) How much a press hits your pecs doesn't depend on "strength balance" ... so what does that mean? Don't say something because it will make you sound smart.... What strength imbalances? Where? Did you test them?
6) You mentioning biomechanics as being important not defining the issues of biomechanics just makes you a Kool-Aid drinker. What biomechanics?

If you're going to come at me with an attitude like that then do you're own fucking research and read up on it since you obviously aren't educated on it.

Take care.

orhochris
04-22-2009, 04:31 PM
If you're going to come at me with an attitude like that then do you're own fucking research and read up on it since you obviously aren't educated on it.

Take care.

haha... Let me ask you a question... When you give your answer... I'm going to bitch about why you were wrong...

BigJD69
04-22-2009, 04:33 PM
Unbelievable!!!

SUMO
04-22-2009, 04:41 PM
He isn't posting in the Pit anymore...he's you guys' problem now!! Enjoy :D

Dr.Natural1988
04-22-2009, 07:32 PM
I think everyone has had a problem with this guy.

KNOW YOUR PLACE

Youngguns
04-22-2009, 07:35 PM
I messaged Frosty about this.

The initial post, nor response was my own. It was posted on another forum. I was just curious to see the responses, I actually took out a lot of the wording from the second post to make it sound less abrassive.

For the record.

Jello
04-22-2009, 08:35 PM
I messaged Frosty about this.

The initial post, nor response was my own. It was posted on another forum. I was just curious to see the responses, I actually took out a lot of the wording from the second post to make it sound less abrassive.

For the record.

Maybe you should have said that instead of implying that it was your own words.

Strikerrjones
04-22-2009, 08:50 PM
I'm actually interested in this thread... can somebody continue it?

Jason Newman
04-22-2009, 08:59 PM
i happen to have a hard time building my chest with presses, and recently i have started pre exhausting again which helps me build it up faster than presses, im thinking of hitting 2 flies and 1 press for my chest,

my shoudlers take over and have since high school, my tris suck so that isnt my problem just as a taller guy the form is different and i never had someone teach me, i feel flies so much better and using them to pre exhaust was when i saw my best gains