PDA

View Full Version : birth control

tammyp
04-23-2009, 05:56 PM
what do you use?

my hubby has been to the vet...:D so its easy for me.

GirlyMuscle
04-23-2009, 05:58 PM
Abstinence. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I don't know what I'd use if I was active.

Northman
04-23-2009, 06:12 PM
Condoms.

Tatyana
04-23-2009, 06:23 PM
Abstinence. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I don't know what I'd use if I was active.

Use temperature and counting the days.

Just make sure that both of you have had full STD screens first.

:)

2hot4u
04-23-2009, 06:24 PM
Iud

sassy69
04-23-2009, 06:25 PM
Mirena IUD.

Allifit
04-23-2009, 07:56 PM
Mirena IUD.

Do you like it? I'm considering... I know mirena still uses horomones right? I heard theres an IUD that does NOT use horomones...?

The Beast
04-24-2009, 12:13 AM
Do you like it? I'm considering... I know mirena still uses horomones right? I heard theres an IUD that does NOT use horomones...?

I have the copper IUD, no hormones. It is a bit of a love-hate relationship. When I was on the pill I had little or no cramping, I use to think girls were just babies...then I went off the bc and holy SHIT, especially for the first few months I would have cramps that would bring me to my knees. I also have longer periods and occasional spotting which is common in the first 6-12 months.

Other then that my doc told me some women have NO pain during insertion and others have quite a bit, I don't know that I have been in that much pain before-I honestly wasn't sure I would make it. It took about 4 days of insane cramping to get back to normal.

Now that I have it I don't have to worry for 10 years and don't have to deal with hormones and getting pregnant I am pretty happy. The cramping is annoying but imo worth the alternatives.

sassy69
04-24-2009, 02:09 AM

There's a small bit of slow-release progesterone. What I'd suggest is that you talk to your OB/GYN and get all their info on it. I went in, having been on the Nuvaring and figured, shit, just be done w/ it. I'm 43 & single, probably not going to be having any kids at this point.

My OB/GYN suggested Mirena over the copper IUD (Paragard) because women tend to experience bleeding & cramping from it. The progesterone in the Mirena is there to help deal w/ that. Apparently to get the Mirena she had to sign me up for some "study" or it had to be specifically recommended (I didn't quite catch the whole thing behind this). The price was about $600 which I paid up front, and later got reimbursed by my insurance. I've had it for a year now and have had absolutely no issues whatsoever. None. No cramping, no nothing.

I'd like to hear what reasons would be a concern for the presence of the slow-release progesterone. I think this would be a good subject to look into (ahem, Leigh..!) Some AAS promote progesterone as well and I'm sure there are issues w/ too much progesterone but I'd have to go do some research.

tight booty
04-24-2009, 04:06 AM
I couldn't use the mirena. I had severe lower back pain to the point where I was bed ridden and continous heavy bleeding. Only lasted with the mirena for a week until they took it out and then the pain went and the bleeding stopped. I have never been able to take the BC pill. I always bleed nonstop with it and I am not talking about spotting either. My periods last for 4 days without any BC pill and with it they were lasting for 3 weeks plus.

Tatyana
04-24-2009, 04:23 AM
I can't use an IUD, it caused such excrutiating pain and severe bleeding I had it removed within four months.

I wouldn't even risk trying one again it was so horrid.

tammyp
04-24-2009, 05:52 AM
most girls i know that compete use the copper IUD, like jen mentioned.

Allifit
04-24-2009, 10:26 AM
most girls i know that compete use the copper IUD, like jen mentioned.
Thats why I was intersted. I currently dont use birth control, and have had bad experiences with nearly every method I've used, not to mention the excess horomones tend to make it harder to get in contest shape. But I was considering the copper IUD....however this bleeding everyone is discussing is scaring me....

sassy69
04-24-2009, 04:31 PM
Thats why I was intersted. I currently dont use birth control, and have had bad experiences with nearly every method I've used, not to mention the excess horomones tend to make it harder to get in contest shape. But I was considering the copper IUD....however this bleeding everyone is discussing is scaring me....

You should talk to your OBGYN. As it is you're < 30 w/ no kids so they'd probably encourage you to NOT use it. But I think you need to get the real & relevant info for YOU, and from the doc, not a message board. IMO it does nothing to "be scared" of anything you hear. Go find out!

tammyp
04-24-2009, 05:18 PM
i had a client/friend today have a STROKE from a blood clot from the pill. 32 and perfectly healthy. thank god no permanent damage.

The Beast
04-26-2009, 10:39 PM
You should talk to your OBGYN. As it is you're < 30 w/ no kids so they'd probably encourage you to NOT use it. But I think you need to get the real & relevant info for YOU, and from the doc, not a message board. IMO it does nothing to "be scared" of anything you hear. Go find out!

Actually my doc said the exact opposite...he wishes more people our age would use it because it is so effective and I don't think he likes us toying with our hormones.

Alli I am not going to lie the cramping sucks BUT imo it is owrth it because I hated bc.

sassy69
04-26-2009, 10:54 PM
Actually my doc said the exact opposite...he wishes more people our age would use it because it is so effective and I don't think he likes us toying with our hormones.

Alli I am not going to lie the cramping sucks BUT imo it is owrth it because I hated bc.

That's actually pretty cool. I'm at the age where the question of "are you planning to have kids" has started coming out "You weren't planning to have kids at this point, were you?".. but I know a lot of the girls who have wanted to get an IUD and were < 30 were encouraged to NOT do it. I don't think that ever really stopped anyone from doing it tho. Mostly the consideration seems to be cost if you don't keep it in for the 5 yrs. But there's nothing that implies you can't be completely ready to have kids just by taking it out.

GirlyMuscle
04-26-2009, 10:57 PM
I know our fertility goes down with age. Does anyone one have stats on that? Like over 40 yrs old are 50% less likely to get pregnant because of changing hormones....

Allifit
04-27-2009, 07:12 AM

Thats where I'm struggling- A LOT. I havent used bc in YEARS. The last time I used it I wa slike 20. I came off of it before my first figure show (NABBA) and then tried to get back on it after the show but I got so sick- nasea and I bloated like hell and was miserable. I tried the pill AND the patch and both forms really made me miserable so I stopped using it altogether. But the bottom line is I need to be more intelligent about my sex life- my last realtionship we had like 2 pregnancy scares and now that I'm seeing someone I want to consider some alternatives. I mad a doctors appointment so we'll see....

palomino
04-30-2009, 12:08 PM
I had my tubes tied LOL. No worries.
I had an IUD and had severe cramping with heavy bleeding almost the entire month, so that went bye bye. The pill is the only thing that worked for me long-term.

pillowtalk
05-04-2009, 05:50 AM
Had 3 sons do not EVER want more kids, so had tubes cauterized after last one was born.....best thing ever, no probs at all.

Plates
05-04-2009, 01:16 PM
Mirena IUD.

Love it....my GF had it put in about a year ago. She is getting along great with it compared to pills. She is able to control her weight much better, and no more mood swings.