PDA

View Full Version : Push Ups

Envirolover
04-23-2009, 06:56 PM
What do you guys think about push-ups on off days? I sometimes like to do 200 throughout the day when not going to the gym and a few days away from a chest workout.

SoxFan11
04-23-2009, 08:24 PM
What do you guys think about push-ups on off days? I sometimes like to do 200 throughout the day when not going to the gym and a few days away from a chest workout.

If you're doing them after your chest has recovered from your chest workout, I don't see a problem with doing push-ups. I've heard of a few people who will, 2-4 days after training a body part, hit it again with a couple of low weight/high rep sets just to pump the muscle.

buster12
04-23-2009, 08:25 PM
I like em. (look I'm contributing)

Envirolover
04-23-2009, 11:29 PM
Cool deal. I usually get too lazy to do push ups on chest day so I started doing them on off days. I love doing them and it gives a nice pump for sure after cranking out 200...lol

chasebny
04-24-2009, 12:59 AM
Do them on chest day. They restore shoulders, no joke.

Sledge
04-26-2009, 02:27 PM
A day off is a day off. Do them on chest day. We grow when we are outside the gym and the muscle is at rest. I only do them backstage pumping up for a show.

What he said

BK
04-27-2009, 09:03 PM
Cool deal. I usually get too lazy to do push ups on chest day so I started doing them on off days. I love doing them and it gives a nice pump for sure after cranking out 200...lol
Go ahead and do them on your off day. It will be a great way to pump fresh blood into your muscles and it will increase you ability to do more work on your primary chest day.

orhochris
04-28-2009, 01:10 PM
its a program that stew smith uses (elite navy seal and special forces trainer) it. he has a 2 week pushup program that you do 200 pushups on odd days in as few sets as possible in one sitting. on even days you do 200 pushups on even days throughout the day broken up into 5-10-15 reps per set just doing them as you feel like. after two weeks he you're supposed to increase your pushup total on a pt test 25% more reps.

he suggests doing this only once every 6 months. but he said that doing the reps throughout the day is basically not taxing the muscle, it is just flushing blood and nutrients into the fatigued muscle to help recovery and growth/strength acruel.

PTB
12-02-2009, 06:40 PM
I know this is an old post, but pushups give me the MOST pump out of all chest exercises. On the days when I do them pretty much exclusively (about once every 5-6 weeks), I generally do the following

1.) Standard width
2.) Wide width
3.) Military - with elbows at sides rather than flaring out
4.) Decline, putting my feet on a chair
5.) Dive Bombers - feet and hands wide, and make like you're going under a fence, then returning to start position.

I did this when I was on the P90X program. The pump is incredible.

I'll usually do 3 rounds of these, with a total output of about 400 - 450 reps at the end.