PDA

View Full Version : Does DHEA work?

SpeedoGuido
04-24-2009, 03:25 AM
Has anyone tried DHEA as an anti aging supp?
I've read a few different articles that say it is a miracle drug for anti aging and muscle building, and other articles that say it has absolutely no benefits what so ever..... but most articles I've read agree that there may be side effects.
Any thoughts?

DR.BB
04-24-2009, 08:40 AM
DHEA has been around forever and I don’t think it useful for the BB. It may have a place in HRT for older people as part of the overall hormonal balance. It can convert to various hormones, including testosterone, but the pathway is indirect. If my memory is accurate, DHEA’s pathway to test is through androstenedione, which we know is a very weak precursor to test by itself. I pasted one study that did not find any performance benefit of DHEA. My feeling is that the revival of DHEA has to do with the ban on prohormones that worked and supplement companies are making DHEA seem innovative using its chem. name, etc.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10613429

BigJD69
04-24-2009, 11:08 AM
I have several friends in their 40's that take it and have nothing but good things to say about it.

gman
04-24-2009, 02:36 PM
didn't notice a thing when I took it. For 8 months.

HeavyDutyGuy
04-24-2009, 04:06 PM
I've heard it works better in women and the elderly. I tried it with no observable effect.

Frosty
04-24-2009, 09:31 PM
If you get tests done to show low DHEAS levels then yes, DHEA can be beneficial. Otherwise I wouldn't bother with it. It has more applications for older people and anti-aging and adrenal recovery.

FreakPeak
04-24-2009, 10:50 PM
I agree ^^^^. It is definitely worthwhile to take DHEA if you are deficient for the myriad of health benefits it offers. It might not be something you can feel, or see in the mirror immediately, but in the long run it may benefit you greatly.

I take 50mgs DHEA and 50 mgs pregnenolone sublingually every day.

SpeedoGuido
04-30-2009, 03:15 AM
Thanks for the replies!
I think I'll forget about DHEA for now.