PDA

View Full Version : confused about cardio....

pittbull
04-24-2009, 09:51 AM
I have read so much stuff on cardio and I know it all boils down to "do whatever works for you" kinda thing but I want someones advice thats out there and doing this stuff and not advice from a dam study.....

When I am training my recuperation time is usually a couple days, especially when doing legs, sometimes I can barely even peddle a bike. I am wondering what type of cardio is best to lose fat, not weight, fat.

I read where pros do 2-4 hours of cardio a day for contest prep. Now you cant tell me these guys are running all out on the treadmill or whatever for 2-4 hours a day and maintaining muscle mass. Especially when I hear about stories Dave tells about being 300 lbs and being winded from walking up steps.

I think it was Chris Aceto that said he suggests Interval Cardio training which I do alot, and then I have heard Lee Priest says he sets the treadmill on a substantial speed and walks fast for like 2 hours, so what the fuck is the best?

I am just getting back into all of this and am making good progress with getting stronger and bigger but dont want to lose my muscle trying to do cardio and shit, but I do have some lbs. to lose....Im confused.

Frosty
04-24-2009, 10:10 AM
The most effective type of cardio for fat loss is high intensity interval training. Period.

The next most effective is low intensity cardio under 120 bpm.

The problem with the first one is that it requires carbs. On Dave's cutting diet this isn't a good idea. In this situation low intensity for long periods is more effective because it directly burns the fat under your skin and little else.

The steady state cardio that's moderate intensity burns some fat under the skin, but also a lot of fat from IN the muscle, and glycogen. It also raises cortisol levels. Not a good method.

marc3150
04-24-2009, 11:23 AM
Hey

It all comes down to what works for you, personally i am on one of the worst when it comes to body fat loss. I tried everything on earth and finally found what works for me, the HIT honestly didn't work. I follow Dave's keto diet and do a 45 min cardio session every second day which is moderate intensity and i have never looked better in my life. I prefer the step climber or treadmill at a fast paced walk for long durations.

I often do this after a big weight training session and get the best results from that.

Its all about being consistent and keeping HR between 120 and 130, i am 28 years old 5'10 and dropped 20 lbs with this combo and get better each week.

Cheers

pittbull
04-24-2009, 01:44 PM
thanks guys....I try to do cardio after weight training also, but was wondering if you should take in your pwo shake after the entire workout or inbetween weights and cardio? I think Connelly had said something about doing this in one of his interviews, what do you guys do?

Frosty
04-24-2009, 04:53 PM
For keto diet do weights, cardio, then your shake meal.

dougie
04-24-2009, 09:53 PM
The low intensity works bet for me. 45 min on tread mill, 15% incline at no more than 2.5 mph. The incline keeps pressure off the knees. HR 120-130.

csnut18
04-26-2009, 01:38 AM
I have made great progress on daves diet without any cardio at all. I have dropped twenty pounds in the last month. I do have intense workouts and am doing each bodypart other than legs twice a week. Legs is only done once a week because my upper body is lagging behind my legs.

GottaGetLean
04-27-2009, 04:00 AM
The most effective type of cardio for fat loss is high intensity interval training. Period.

The next most effective is low intensity cardio under 120 bpm.

The problem with the first one is that it requires carbs. On Dave's cutting diet this isn't a good idea. In this situation low intensity for long periods is more effective because it directly burns the fat under your skin and little else.

The steady state cardio that's moderate intensity burns some fat under the skin, but also a lot of fat from IN the muscle, and glycogen. It also raises cortisol levels. Not a good method.

so if low intensity cardio is 2nd most effective then y do majority of pro body builders recommend low intensity cardio instead of high intensity??
:poke:

Frosty
04-27-2009, 10:50 AM
so if low intensity cardio is 2nd most effective then y do majority of pro body builders recommend low intensity cardio instead of high intensity??
:poke:

It's a hell of a lot more enjoyable and easy...and I highly imagine especially if you're 250+ lbs :) Plus it allows them to train more with weights because HIIT digs into recovery ability, while walking on a treadmill or just going along on a bike at an easy pace you can practically do all day.

Some people turn weights pretty much into HIIT. Heavy training in an almost interval style combined with low intensity cardio would be quite an effective combo, but you need some sort of glycogen replenishment, either through glutamine on a strict keto or just from PWO carbs if you're lean enough.

BigJD69
04-27-2009, 11:01 AM
Good info Frosty.

GottaGetLean
04-28-2009, 07:33 PM
It's a hell of a lot more enjoyable and easy...and I highly imagine especially if you're 250+ lbs :) Plus it allows them to train more with weights because HIIT digs into recovery ability, while walking on a treadmill or just going along on a bike at an easy pace you can practically do all day.

Some people turn weights pretty much into HIIT. Heavy training in an almost interval style combined with low intensity cardio would be quite an effective combo, but you need some sort of glycogen replenishment, either through glutamine on a strict keto or just from PWO carbs if you're lean enough.

so if im about 185 8% body fat.. which style of cardio do u recommend, im currently following keto diet with only pwo and pwo2 carbs... such as sweet potato and waxymaize..

Sliced N Diced
04-28-2009, 07:59 PM
so if im about 185 8% body fat.. which style of cardio do u recommend, im currently following keto diet with only pwo and pwo2 carbs... such as sweet potato and waxymaize..
If you want to hold as much size while on I suggest low intense cardio. Lose intense for a longer time, will defiantly have better results then any other. Trust me I did it on keto and its a lot more of a drag, but thats defintaly what to do combined with weight training. I was taught while on keto, one of your main goals is to try to hold as much lean tissue mass as possible, while losing fat. It can be very catabolic but if done right, can be your friend.

Frosty
04-28-2009, 08:05 PM

Since you're really not doing a "keto" and using PWO carbs and PWO carb meal, I see no reason HIIT cardio couldn't be used, and you can also even use LIC along with HIIT. Just make sure you use PWO carbs after HIIT, and you also have to start out with low training volume for the HIIT and gradually increase your work tolerance. Just tossing in HIIT into an already demanding training schedule while dieting is a sure way to overtrain quickly.

thepump
04-28-2009, 09:30 PM
Yea, it basically comes down to what kind of diet you're on, what kind of physique and genetics you have in order to gauge what kind of cardio you should do. There was a pretty good discussion about cardio on Dave and John's show last night (April 27th) to help take out some of the confusion. Plus, Frosty has offered some pretty helpful advice. BUMP

Bermyguy
05-08-2009, 07:08 PM
good thread