PDA

View Full Version : Carolyn Bryant talks back!

Lee Penman
04-24-2009, 11:08 AM
Do I hear crickets?

Lee Penman
04-26-2009, 12:03 AM
Okay..I have seen the feedback...Crickets now sound so peaceful and reassuring!

Por2gue
04-26-2009, 05:11 AM
Okay..I have seen the feedback...Crickets now sound so peaceful and reassuring!
I have too many crickets at my house. I use to love the sound of crickets when I lived in the city and got away into the country camping or something.
Now that I live out in the country they annoy me...lol. What gives?

GirlyMuscle
04-26-2009, 08:55 AM
I live in the middle of the country. I have for most of my life. Last night at 1am when I got home I got out of the car to get my mail and I heard this weird sound. It wasn't crickets. It was a weird chirping kind of sound in the trees. Not birds either. I 've never heard it before. I was wondering if it was bats. Anyone have any idea?

Sledge
04-26-2009, 09:05 AM
I was going to say bats

GirlyMuscle
04-26-2009, 09:10 AM
Ewww....creepy.

Sledge
04-26-2009, 09:13 AM
nah bats are cool. found one the other night at work. gave the little bugger some water put him/her in a cupboard over night and handed over to enviros in the morning. they let him/her go that night.

Sledge
04-26-2009, 09:14 AM
you'll see them at the block at night if I put a floodlight on. the insects come in to the light and you can watch the bats dart in and pick them out of the air.

Tatyana
04-26-2009, 09:15 AM
Some bats are just the cutest things.

They are like flying mice.

Sledge
04-26-2009, 09:16 AM
Don't you hate it when you get a cricket in your hause and you can't figure out where the sound is coming from.

Sledge
04-26-2009, 09:17 AM
Some bats are just the cutest things.

They are like flying mice.

Yeah they are prety groovy looking. Most of the ones i see at the block are like a tiny mouse with big ears and wings.

GirlyMuscle
04-26-2009, 09:18 AM
Don't you hate it when you get a cricket in your hause and you can't figure out where the sound is coming from.YES! I hate that.

I used to see bats alot when I lived at home. We always had a pool and we kids liked to swim at night. You could see them fly overhead because of that weird darting way they fly. It always scared us and we'd go inside.

Sledge
04-26-2009, 09:20 AM
If we go to Queensland or Nothern Territory rain forrests you will se the big flying foxes (fruit bat).

Tatyana
04-26-2009, 09:20 AM
http://www.lastrefuge.co.uk/images/html/bats/image_data/bats27.jpg

http://homepages.picknowl.com.au/peters/Lesser-long-eared-bat.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1358/1400538370_3594080cbe.jpg?v=0

I have been up close and personal with a few bats in my lifetime.

Only vampire bats are ugly.

GirlyMuscle
04-26-2009, 09:22 AM
Awww...those are so cute!

I wonder what kind live around here? I'll have to look it up.

Sledge
04-26-2009, 09:22 AM
They are such a cool looking animal. And amazing to watch picking insects out of the air using sonar. Simply amazing stuff.

msfit
04-26-2009, 09:23 AM
They scare the piss out of me!

GirlyMuscle
04-26-2009, 09:31 AM
So..Let's send this to Mythbusters....

Will bats really fly at you and get tangled in your hair?

tammyp
04-26-2009, 09:34 AM
i listened to wild turkeys all night. could it be turkeys?

Tatyana
04-26-2009, 09:39 AM
So..Let's send this to Mythbusters....

Will bats really fly at you and get tangled in your hair?

No.

While they may 'sonar' you and fly closer to check you out, they know you are much too big to be an insect.

GirlyMuscle
04-26-2009, 09:40 AM
I have seen wild turkeys here but no...it's not turkeys. I looked up bats in PA and they describe the sound as "chatter." I'd agree with that. The most common around here are Brown Bats. They frequent farmland (which I live in the middle of) and feed off the insects that hang around crops.

http://www.batmanagement.com/Batcentral/bigbrnslide.jpg
Big brown bats or the "Farmer's Friend" can be found during the day in certain barns and attics. At night they relentlessly feed over agricultural fields devouring crop pests.

Big Brown Bat (Eptesicus fuscus)
Second in size to the hoary bat, the big brown is 4.1-4.8 inches long; wingspread, 12.1-12.9 inches; weight, 0.420.56 ounces. The fur is dark brown, and the face, ears, and flight membranes are blackish. This common bat ranges throughout the state in diverse habitats: attics, belfries, barns, behind doors and shutters, hollow trees, in city and country.

Big brown bats fly at dusk, and generally use the same feeding grounds each night. They fly in a nearly straight course 20-30 feet in the air, often emitting an audible chatter.

Among the last bats to enter hibernation, big brown bats seek out caves, buildings, mines, and storm sewers in October, November, or December. They hang close to the mouths of caves. They emerge in March and April. Females bear young in June, usually two per litter. As young mature and leave the nursery colony, adult males enter and take up residence. Big brown bats have lived up to 19 years in the wild.

Sledge
04-26-2009, 09:41 AM
i listened to wild turkeys all night. could it be turkeys?

Mmmmmm Wild Turkey Rare Breed. Now I'm thirsty.

Sledge
04-26-2009, 09:44 AM
Someone was realy using there imagination when they named those bats wern't they.

That one dosn't look happy. not that i know what bat happienes is or looks like.
he/she has a nice face though

GirlyMuscle
04-26-2009, 09:46 AM
It looks like it's saying, "Let me goooo!"

Sledge
04-26-2009, 09:49 AM
yeah or, for christs sake dim that fucking light.

Carolyn Bryant
04-26-2009, 11:58 AM
Do I hear crickets?

Leigh, it seems the explaining never ends. It's like education.

Origins of the article: You asked me to explain the comments made in response to "Women and Steroids, The Veil of Secrecy". I posed the question why is it a secret when the overdosing of male hormones is obvious.

Now I feel like I have to defend myself for stating obvious truths about how some people see women's bodybuilding. Don't hate the messenger, hate the message. I'm the bold kid who told the king he was naked. I'm repeating what people snicker about behind your backs and hesitate to say in your face.

My delivery: Yes, it does come off abrassive. However there is no easy way. I guess being honest is not politically correct anymore. Well, it is in my house. The truth hurts. And pain makes you grow.

Glaring errors: Let me repeat, I made a mistake in quoting someone and not checking it. Human winstrol was indeed approved and discontinued. But what does that have to do with the question and the statements? I said I thought it was a shitty drug. Apparently the medical community does too or else it would still be available. The discussion that followed was in reference to a vet version. Then Tatyana presents us with studies about the human version. Who is in error here? I think crack is a shitty drug. People like it and they smoke it.

What's with the literal translation? Most people know that the slag for clitoral enlargement is "penoris" - short for a clit that looks like a penis.

I'm not about to debate what is masucline and what is feminine. That is not an error. That is subject to perception. Talk to all my gay and drag boyfriends and let them tell you what they think is feminine.

Deca vs. Durabolin: My comment was in reference to deca.

Halotestin vs Testosterone: Chemo is poison. But if you need it you will take it. Do all of the women taking massive amounts of testorone really need it? No. Stick to the point, Tatyana.

Your delivery: Tatyana comes off spiteful and insinuates because I made an error about winny it negates everything I said. And that I'm not entitled to my opinion.

Holier than thou attitude: At no point did I ever say I don't or have never used any drugs. I made comments about specific drugs I don't like. I said I had good genetics and that I don't need muscle-enhancing drugs. That was not boasting. I consider that a blessing.

Pulling parts out of a discussion distorts the context. Much like Ms. California, I took a stand. Comforming is not an option. My beliefs come from the way I was raised.

PERSONAL CHOICE IS A GIFT, NOT A WEAPON.

SallyAnne
04-26-2009, 12:05 PM
Carolyn - you're always using the term "massive amounts" (see above regarding test)

Can you clarify? Do you feel that ANY amount of these substances is bad, or do you think really low doses could be effective?

There are AAS you feel is OK for a woman?. What are the compounds you feel are safe?

Sledge
04-26-2009, 03:07 PM
Yes, they love to make noise while they roost. I make a lot of wild turkey for that reason....LOL. MMM turkey jerkey.:beerbang:

Are the wild turkeys the same as domestic turkeys or a different animal?

Peaceful28
04-26-2009, 03:15 PM
Oh...cute bats. :popcorn:

Sledge
04-26-2009, 03:29 PM
Check out these guys. What an awsome looking animal. these ara about the same size as Deca, just add wings.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/26/Pteropus_conspicillatus.jpg/450px-Pteropus_conspicillatus.jpg

Carolyn Bryant
04-26-2009, 03:33 PM
Carolyn - you're always using the term "massive amounts" (see above regarding test)

Can you clarify? Do you feel that ANY amount of these substances is bad, or do you think really low doses could be effective?

There are AAS you feel is OK for a woman?. What are the compounds you feel are safe?

Also, Sally Anne there is an assumption that we are all in this game to get bigger. That is not how I approach show prep. It's always to get smaller. Of course I feel the pinch after I get my ass kicked by bigger, more muscular girls but it doesn't change the course for me. And that is to always get better and bring my best package.

It's getting kinda old having to clarify that. Now I'm in the pit being called a steroid abusing, HGH taking liar. WTF. No one comes to me for advice on mass building. Not even in my capacity as a fitness professional. I don't train bodybuilders. I train football players and others who want to lose weight and look fit.

People do ask me how do I get arms like that or how do I get abs like that. I say lift some heavy weights. Change your eating habits. I guess that stuff is oudated. I have some pretty big friends. Some were once considered the best bodybuilders in the world. They don't even discuss mass-building drug cycles when me. They tell me you don't need that shyt. Sounds good to me, so once again when you hear me say it to other women I'm repeating what I heard.

Peaceful28
04-26-2009, 03:35 PM
Check out these guys. What an awsome looking animal. these ara about the same size as Deca, just add wings.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/26/Pteropus_conspicillatus.jpg/450px-Pteropus_conspicillatus.jpg

Oh wow, those are cute. They remind me of chihuahuas with wings. :D

Sledge
04-26-2009, 03:39 PM
Theirs thousands of these of various types in North Queensland. They can scare the crap out of you at night if you walk under a low tree. Especialy if your half cut walking home with a lady. Instant loss of any cool points.

Peaceful28
04-26-2009, 04:18 PM
Theirs thousands of these of various types in North Queensland. They can scare the crap out of you at night if you walk under a low tree. Especialy if your half cut walking home with a lady. Instant loss of any cool points.

Actually that sounds like a very funny scenario. lol

Do they attack?

Sledge
04-26-2009, 04:21 PM
No they don't attack they just sudenly take off in a flurry of wings and noise and they are always in a group. It has a tendancy to make you jump backwards and make a wierd arsed noise that sort of sounds like gnaghhhhhhhhhhhhgh as you stumble around in the night.

Tatyana
04-26-2009, 04:52 PM
Also, Sally Anne there is an assumption that we are all in this game to get bigger. That is not how I approach show prep. It's always to get smaller. Of course I feel the pinch after I get my ass kicked by bigger, more muscular girls but it doesn't change the course for me. And that is to always get better and bring my best package.

It's getting kinda old having to clarify that. Now I'm in the pit being called a steroid abusing, HGH taking liar. WTF. No one comes to me for advice on mass building. Not even in my capacity as a fitness professional. I don't train bodybuilders. I train football players and others who want to lose weight and look fit.

People do ask me how do I get arms like that or how do I get abs like that. I say lift some heavy weights. Change your eating habits. I guess that stuff is oudated. I have some pretty big friends. Some were once considered the best bodybuilders in the world. They don't even discuss mass-building drug cycles when me. They tell me you don't need that shyt. Sounds good to me, so once again when you hear me say it to other women I'm repeating what I heard.

No it isn't outdated.

Steroids are not going make much of a difference if your diet and training are not good and consistent.

Check this thread.

http://forums.rxmuscle.com/showthread.php?t=7189

Peaceful28
04-26-2009, 05:12 PM
No they don't attack they just sudenly take off in a flurry of wings and noise and they are always in a group. It has a tendancy to make you jump backwards and make a wierd arsed noise that sort of sounds like gnaghhhhhhhhhhhhgh as you stumble around in the night.

lol even better. :D They are still cute animals though.

Sledge
04-26-2009, 05:32 PM
Honduran white bats. just for Peaceful.

http://www.jorymon.com/images/2009/march/bat4.jpg

Sledge
04-26-2009, 05:36 PM
http://www.jorymon.com/images/2009/march/bat3.jpg

tight booty
04-26-2009, 06:01 PM
One almost flew into my head when I was walking at night a few months ago. :eek: I freaked out because if they bite you then you have to have injections weekly for 3 months. A woman died here a few months ago from a fruit bat bite.

Sledge
04-27-2009, 06:14 AM
Eric the fruit bat?

Peaceful28
04-27-2009, 07:51 AM
Honduran white bats. just for Peaceful.

http://www.jorymon.com/images/2009/march/bat4.jpg

lol there isnt a picture, just a little white box with a red "x" in it.

Sledge
04-27-2009, 08:07 AM
Works for me. even your reply quote has the pic.

GirlyMuscle
04-27-2009, 10:23 AM
I see red Xs too.

Sledge
04-27-2009, 10:58 AM
I see the cutest little white........oh forget it I couldn't describe how great it is.

Carolyn Bryant
04-27-2009, 06:11 PM
http://forums.rxmuscle.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12490&stc=1&d=1240870127

And when I get bigger I'm gonna take a plug outta ur asses.....

tight booty
04-27-2009, 06:45 PM
http://forums.rxmuscle.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12490&stc=1&d=1240870127

And when I get bigger I'm gonna take a plug outta ur asses.....
And how is that a bat? :confused:

:D

Carolyn Bryant
04-27-2009, 07:28 PM
http://www.cravenacres.com/miscpicssuesue%20039.jpg

"Yo buddy you get the chicks, I'll get the fellas"

Carolyn Bryant
04-27-2009, 07:40 PM
http://www.caninepics.com/gallery/images/big/bad-hair-dog.jpg

"I eat bats and turkeys. Bring em on!"

tight booty
04-27-2009, 07:58 PM
http://www.caninepics.com/gallery/images/big/bad-hair-dog.jpg

"I eat bats and turkeys. Bring em on!"
:eek: I'll stick to seafood! :p

Carolyn Bryant
04-27-2009, 08:17 PM
http://mozziestar.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/bad-dog.jpg

Carolyn Bryant
04-27-2009, 08:26 PM
http://www.sandiegoinjurylawyerblog.com/Pit%20Bull.bmp

"Heard you had a pest problem over here." Gimma a T-bone steak and consider the problem solved. They won't bother you anymore after I get done. My cousin Pito and Guido will dispose of the bodies."

Reloaded
05-02-2009, 08:38 AM

I love flying foxes ! Australia has some of the best fruit bat species, durinal bats are usually larger and quite handsome

http://www.longgrasssystems.com.au/Images/FlyingFox.jpg

http://www.wiresnr.org/images/Flyinffoxpups.jpg

Lee Penman
05-02-2009, 09:53 AM
Wish I knew how this crazy bat thing got started...now stop it y'hear!
Some of us don't think bats belong on an RX thread!

Reloaded
05-02-2009, 10:06 AM
I'm sorry, I my wildlife fanatic forum is under maintenance

GirlyMuscle
05-02-2009, 10:08 AM
Wish I knew how this crazy bat thing got started...now stop it y'hear!
Some of us don't think bats belong on an RX thread!We were just killing time. Sorry.

Carolyn Bryant
05-05-2009, 04:17 PM
Here's what's on my mind today. What do we say to the young girls coming up who are interested in bodybuilding? That you have to be willing to take drugs and "do what you gotta do" to win? That you are better off competing in the NGA or another natural federation if you want to excel?

We know once you go down that road it's hard to turn back. There is nothing like seeing yourself in sick shape. It takes a grip on your mind and you can't see yourself coming in any less than that. But we all know that's not real and won't last forever. And the numbers speak to more sucess in switching from figure to bodybuilding than the other way around.

Our division is dying because there is hardly no new blood. In the first few shows of 09 there was an average of four female bbers per show. You find the largest number of competitors at the pro-qualifying shows - Master's Nats, USA, North America and the Nationals. As JM Manion pointed out in a recent interview, many of the new pros disappear after receiving a pro card and rarely compete. The pros by and large compete in relatively small numbers.

Some say the federation is to blame for rewarding hardcore looks. Possibly. But not totally responsible. The judges tell me they simply judge what is on stage.

In my humble opinion, it appears the federation has answered my previous question by giving girls options. First it was Figure. Now Bikini - a prime example of what is happening to keep new faces coming into the industry. This option appeals to many women who simply want to lift weights, look fit and show off their hard work. And be rewarded for it.

sassy69
05-05-2009, 05:54 PM
Carolyn you do sum up all the ironies of the current state of women's physique competition. I don't have the answers and I've got reservations about how the federations, at least the NPC are approaching it. I'd like to see a clear path "up" that is consistent and doesn't have "special rules", whether or spoken or unspoken, in judging to allow movement across & up.

Consider a typical competitor evolution, or at least ideal, w/ the purpose of getting new blood in "women's physique":

- New to lifting, got started because boyfriend got her involved or recent new mom, wants her pre-baby body back, or 40 yr old wants "best body of her life".
--> Enters Bikini Contest - provides a specifici goal that also lets her acknowledge & celebrate the goal.
- Now hooked, wants to build some muscle. Two paths:
--> Enter Bikini - requires only an off-season of training, and continued improvement in knowledge of cutting
--> Take a year or two off to build some muscle, then Enter Figure
- Now has a couple years of lifting under her belt, still hooked, wants more muscle.
--> Continue in Figure
--> Take another year off to build & enter BB

It all depends on what she is interested in doing & where she wants to take it. Some people are satisfied w/ Bikini because they like the competition aspect but don't want lots of muscle. Others want the muscle but still like the pageantry of Figure so they stay w/ Figure. Others who are hooked on getting as hard & big as they can go for BB.

The ability to move up and also to stay w/in this sort of track, the judging needs to be consistent. I'm gathering from other discussions that Figure may be leaning towards a little more muscular than the Bikini look. If this has room for a harder physique (but not big & ripped) like it was say 2-3 yrs ago, then this accomodates the desire to move up muscle maturity and mass, improved abilty to cut. If they stay w/ the seemingly random and "softer" look, there's no clear motivation to move up in Figure via improved muscle maturity, mass and leanness. So it would all be catering to entry level bikini & figure competitors w/ no place to go once they've been in it a while.

For any of them I'd still be telling them to spend at least 2 yrs lifting and learning how to build as well as to cut before ever even bringing up chemical enhancement. I don't think it helps anyone to be thinking in terms of very short seasons or multiple shows in a single season when they have little or no base to start with. That's a mindset change but if someone is starting w/ nothing & doesnt' want to put in the time to build their bodies, then IMO they have no business playing w/ drugs. There's a degree of discipline & understanding of your body that IMO, should be in place.

Maybe it sounds like I'm preaching but if you can't accomplish your goals w/o the drugs, then you're not going to do it w/them. At least not at some cost.

Carolyn Bryant
05-06-2009, 10:37 AM
No, that is not preaching. That was exactly the kind of discussion I was looking for. And thank you for responding and not killing time sending photos of bats and other wildlife.

Bottom line is the door at the top of pro bodybuilding is closed. The group of girls we have now have taken the sport to a level that most women do not want to go. They celebrate that at the expense of others. So we might have to look at them until they get too old to compete. Not sure if that even applies in this sport.

Congrats on your write-up in MD. Good luck to ya in your competition.

sassy69
05-06-2009, 11:55 AM
No, that is not preaching. That was exactly the kind of discussion I was looking for. And thank you for responding and not killing time sending photos of bats and other wildlife.

Bottom line is the door at the top of pro bodybuilding is closed. The group of girls we have now have taken the sport to a level that most women do not want to go. They celebrate that at the expense of others. So we might have to look at them until they get too old to compete. Not sure if that even applies in this sport.

Thx Carolyn! I think that's my biggest frustration w/ FBB is exactly that - a Pro card has no place or very few places to go, and the general reception is negative. I think there are some fantastic recent pros who represent less of the extreme, andwe're seeing the judges reward the more aesthetic shapes. So I'm hopeful but I still just hate to see new competitors think in the short term. One thing I did like about the "old school" was that they were lifelong lifters & competitors. Not "Oh I"ve been lifting for 10 months now! I'm hooked". Hardcore did mean hardcore - lifestyle & dedication, but I guess that in itself promotes extreme.

So bottom, I suppose we're still waiting for someone to define what exactly is "women's physique" and what is considered "pro quality", such that it is acceptable and has a growth path. As I've stated other places, I'd continue lifting regardless of competition, but its just feels so tragic and wasteful to see the chaos that current competition feels like. But I'm in it for the long term so we'll see where it goes. :popcorn:

SallyAnne
05-06-2009, 02:30 PM

The judges keep awarding that look at the pro level, but not at the NPC level. That confuses me.

Carolyn Bryant
05-06-2009, 06:16 PM
Well, it confuses the hell out of all of us. But like I said before the judges say they simply judge what's on stage. Perhaps some girls just believe once they turn pro they have to get bigger, not necessarily better, to compete. Most girls on the pro-qualifying level have more than enough muscle to distinguish themselves from the other divisions. Instead of fine tuning what they have with inovative dieting and training we see evidence of more harsher drugs in doses that are shocking to even some men.

And who does that benefit? Self, and self only. That's why I called it self-indulging nonsense.

It would make a little more sense if the look was being rewarded with a check for $200,000 or even $100,000 for a single show. An Escalade or even a Mustang. Endorsements totalling in the millions over a few years. Cover shots or even some regular magazine coverage. A watch. A ring.

When the money dwindled people began to say "if you are doing this for a paycheck" then you have the wrong idea." Did anyone tell that to Jay or Ronnie? Top 10 men leave the stage with prize money. Most have contracts that pay the mortgage and some.

And the women get what? Pimp slapped!

MsGuns
05-06-2009, 06:49 PM
Well, it confuses the hell out of all of us. But like I said before the judges say they simply judge what's on stage. Perhaps some girls just believe once they turn pro they have to get bigger, not necessarily better, to compete. Most girls on the pro-qualifying level have more than enough muscle to distinguish themselves from the other divisions. Instead of fine tuning what they have with inovative dieting and training we see evidence of more harsher drugs in doses that are shocking to even some men.

And who does that benefit? Self, and self only. That's why I called it self-indulging nonsense.

It would make a little more sense if the look was being rewarded with a check for $200,000 or even $100,000 for a single show. An Escalade or even a Mustang. Endorsements totalling in the millions over a few years. Cover shots or even some regular magazine coverage. A watch. A ring.

When the money dwindled people began to say "if you are doing this for a paycheck" then you have the wrong idea." Did anyone tell that to Jay or Ronnie? Top 10 men leave the stage with prize money. Most have contracts that pay the mortgage and some.

Good post CB.

GirlyMuscle
05-06-2009, 07:03 PM
And thank you for responding and not killing time sending photos of bats and other wildlife.

We only did that because no one was posting anything. It kept the thread bumped. Again, sorry if it offended.

Carolyn Bryant
05-06-2009, 08:16 PM
We only did that because no one was posting anything. It kept the thread bumped. Again, sorry if it offended.

Girly, you must not know bout me. Offended? I just thought there was some kind of subliminal message behind the posts. Like what I was saying was noise to you guys.

It was my understanding that this space was created so people could freely discuss my article and/or any other inflammatory statements I had made so I could tell the story behind it. I like a good challenge. As you can see I have alot to say. I also have a lot of questions.

GirlyMuscle
05-06-2009, 10:10 PM
It didn;t have subliminal messages. When it was originally posted no one posted a response. Leigh posted "crickets" meaning no one responded. Then we got carried away talking about crickets which lead to bats...it was all just us being silly, killing time. Thats all.

Lee Penman
05-07-2009, 12:21 AM
It didn;t have subliminal messages. When it was originally posted no one posted a response. Leigh posted "crickets" meaning no one responded. Then we got carried away talking about crickets which lead to bats...it was all just us being silly, killing time. Thats all.
You got it EXACTLY..crickets referred to 'no response...is there anyone out there?
Not an invitation to discuss wildlife.

SallyAnne
05-07-2009, 09:55 AM

...and there are some smaller girls up on the pro stage now...but they get lower placings. lol My wish would be for the NPC and the IFBB to get in sync with each other.

sassy69
05-07-2009, 12:03 PM
...and there are some smaller girls up on the pro stage now...but they get lower placings. lol My wish would be for the NPC and the IFBB to get in sync with each other.

Amen Sista! Disconnects in the defined progression of things just hurt everyone.

Carolyn Bryant
05-07-2009, 12:50 PM
The NPC and IFBB are in sync. On how they split the profits, that is. Without the athletes there is nothing to sell. The federations make rules and regulations. But they don't dictate how we should look. Many requests have been made over the years for the bodybuilders to tone it down. Some girls shot that message the bird. Some got disenchanted and left the scene. Once again, the judges only judge what is on stage. Several times in history the smaller, softer girls, the Valentina Chipega-Jen McVicar (sp) era for example, were hoisted to the forefront. The decision got booed.

Opponents claimed the IFBB/NPC were telling the women not to be their best. One in particular used the scenario "it's like telling Marion Jones not to run faster."

Good and bad scenario. Because Marion was kicking ass at 13. She qualified for the World Championships before she graduated from high school. So she was already faster than most and didn't necessarily need drugs to go faster. That was a personal choice which she regrets to this day.

In reference to women's bodybuilding, the argument is between being bigger, harder, more grotesque or better. Where is the proof that we are better off as a whole than we were in the 80's and early 90's? A time when were dayum near on the level of super models. Adored. Now we have been basically kicked to the curb.

At least the weight classes on the Am level are fair. 135 pounds and under for a lightweight Pro category is too broard. Women like Beni Lopez and Carla Salotti have complete physiques. Pound for pound they are great bodybuilders. Stand them next to Iris or Heather they disappear.

Pro promoters have to pay a seperate sanction fee for two weight class. Most aren't willing to do it because it takes money out of their pockets and the numbers don't warrant the expense. Sports entertainment is a BUSINESS.

The top pros have posted a subliminal message that if you can't stand the heat then get out of the kitchen.

The part I don't like is that they are in the limelight, so to speak, and present an image to the rest of the world that the chemically enhanced look is what women's bodybuilding is all about.

That's simply not true. That is only where some people have taken it. The line is blurred between bodybuilding being an extreme sport and the extreme measures to which some people will go to get what they want.

PERSONAL CHOICE IS A GIFT, NOT A WEAPON.

Carolyn Bryant
05-07-2009, 12:58 PM
Some girls are distorting their physiques and playing Russian Roulette with their health to chase a title that has the value of a rock. It may be the greatest thing they ever accomplish in life and that's what makes it special.

lil mama
05-07-2009, 02:56 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6bR0qsqFRPg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6bR0qsqFRPg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Here's what's on my mind today. What do we say to the young girls coming up who are interested in bodybuilding? That you have to be willing to take drugs and "do what you gotta do" to win? That you are better off competing in the NGA or another natural federation if you want to excel?

We know once you go down that road it's hard to turn back. There is nothing like seeing yourself in sick shape. It takes a grip on your mind and you can't see yourself coming in any less than that. But we all know that's not real and won't last forever. And the numbers speak to more sucess in switching from figure to bodybuilding than the other way around.

Our division is dying because there is hardly no new blood. In the first few shows of 09 there was an average of four female bbers per show. You find the largest number of competitors at the pro-qualifying shows - Master's Nats, USA, North America and the Nationals. As JM Manion pointed out in a recent interview, many of the new pros disappear after receiving a pro card and rarely compete. The pros by and large compete in relatively small numbers.

Some say the federation is to blame for rewarding hardcore looks. Possibly. But not totally responsible. The judges tell me they simply judge what is on stage.

In my humble opinion, it appears the federation has answered my previous question by giving girls options. First it was Figure. Now Bikini - a prime example of what is happening to keep new faces coming into the industry. This option appeals to many women who simply want to lift weights, look fit and show off their hard work. And be rewarded for it.

Carolyn Bryant
05-07-2009, 03:52 PM
Wow, Lil Mama. So what do you think the pro girls who hear that straight from the judges mouths have to say in response?

People have complete lost touch with what a female physique looks like anymore. It certainly doesn't include a 40-50-inch wing span and an ass so hard you can strike a match on it.

The youngsters tell me times have changed. Masculine and feminine don't exist anymore. It's just bodybuilding. Me thinketh that the youngsters are confused.

lil mama
05-08-2009, 12:03 AM
///, mnnjmmkk,mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmnmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnnnnnnnnnhb nmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmnjnmmjjjjjjjjjjjjjkjk,,mmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,mmmjki8 m,, ..,nmjkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkii,mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmnnnmmm **mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmm jmjjm jm,.

SadFatty
05-08-2009, 12:07 AM
///, mnnjmmkk,mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmnmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnnnnnnnnnhb nmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmnjnmmjjjjjjjjjjjjjkjk,,mmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,mmmjki8 m,, ..,nmjkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkii,mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmnnnmmm **mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmm jmjjm jm,.

Haha...what the hell happened here????

So why don't they just make a lightweight and a heavyweight class? That way all sizes of girls win!

Carolyn Bryant
05-08-2009, 12:30 AM
Hey SadFatty. How have ya been? If my memory serves me, the IFBB started a lightweight/heavyweight class at the 2000 Ms. Olympia. It lasted a few years and the ladies voted it out because it diluted the prize money. They did it at the Arnold and the Europa. The problem is the weight ranges are still too broad and it costs too much. Ideally a light, middle and heavy would better serve the different body types IMHO.

lil mama
05-08-2009, 12:46 AM
my kid spilled soda on the keyboards and I WAS TRYING TO CLEAN KEYS...UGH THEY STILL ARE STICKING DANG KIDS...LOL

lil mama
05-08-2009, 12:47 AM
I personally think that each lady should come in looking what is ideal to them as for me I will only grow as big as my genetic structure will let me. So what If I might not be the biggest and so what If I might disappear next to Iris or Heather or whom ever is larger than me I would like to think that this might not be the case. I might not have thier size but I have my perfect size for me and who knows I might be just as conditioned as them.

This video was made in 2005 yet not much has changed since then, like the judges stated they can only judge what is in front of them and you always see the same gals over and over. well lets go back to 2005 there has been about 30 some odd new pros but as of yet not many have competed yet WHY...WHY NOT is it that maybe they think that they need to take the time out to grow in order to compete with the veternas pro and put that size on? Well its my opinion for what its worth and I say NO dont worry about it...if you were good enough to win pro status your good enough to come out and play with the big gals...everyone is diffrent and everyone has a diffrent look we are all not cookie cutter images some of us are small and tight and others are large and in charge, if anything is gonna change it starts with us gals.

We need to come out of the woodworks and shaking things up a lil. We certainly need a wide variety of physiques on the pro stage like they have in the national levels and the only way to do this by taking resposibility and do our part and show up to the lil shows we have and represnt FBB WHAT EVER SIZE YOU ARE AND MAY THE BEST PHYSIQUE WIN BIG OR SMALL.(smile)

Carolyn Bryant
05-08-2009, 01:00 AM
So what do you think it will take for more girls to compete as pros? Money? Time? A fair shot?

lil mama
05-08-2009, 01:15 AM
For more ladies to come out and compete, well honestly they will just have to take a chance....nothing is a guaranteed but if you don't give it a shot then you've lost nothing but if you do try you have gained experience. Increasing the money would be an added plus more of an incentive to come out and try. As far as the fair shot? well nothing in life is fair as my mom would always say " you get what you get and you don't throw a fit ". Thats why we keep trying and trying our best and if it doesn't work out for you well at least you gave it a go.(smile)

SadFatty
05-08-2009, 01:18 AM
Hey SadFatty. How have ya been? If my memory serves me, the IFBB started a lightweight/heavyweight class at the 2000 Ms. Olympia. It lasted a few years and the ladies voted it out because it diluted the prize money. They did it at the Arnold and the Europa. The problem is the weight ranges are still too broad and it costs too much. Ideally a light, middle and heavy would better serve the different body types IMHO.
That is a shame. I think less prize money with more classes would be fairer as well as more fun to watch. I guess if the ladies don't want it that's fair.

MsGuns
05-08-2009, 01:22 AM
I personally think that each lady should come in looking what is ideal to them as for me I will only grow as big as my genetic structure will let me. So what If I might not be the biggest and so what If I might disappear next to Iris or Heather or whom ever is larger than me I would like to think that this might not be the case. I might not have thier size but I have my perfect size for me and who knows I might be just as conditioned as them.

This video was made in 2005 yet not much has changed since then, like the judges stated they can only judge what is in front of them and you always see the same gals over and over. well lets go back to 2005 there has been about 30 some odd new pros but as of yet not many have competed yet WHY...WHY NOT is it that maybe they think that they need to take the time out to grow in order to compete with the veternas pro and put that size on? Well its my opinion for what its worth and I say NO dont worry about it...if you were good enough to win pro status your good enough to come out and play with the big gals...everyone is diffrent and everyone has a diffrent look we are all not cookie cutter images some of us are small and tight and others are large and in charge, if anything is gonna change it starts with us gals.

We need to come out of the woodworks and shaking things up a lil. We certainly need a wide variety of physiques on the pro stage like they have in the national levels and the only way to do this by taking resposibility and do our part and show up to the lil shows we have and represnt FBB WHAT EVER SIZE YOU ARE AND MAY THE BEST PHYSIQUE WIN BIG OR SMALL.(smile)

great post Beni!

some are comin back as figure gurls...i am lookin fwd to the ny pro

Carolyn Bryant
05-08-2009, 01:38 PM
Hey Ladies! Check out the June issue of Flex. No, not cuz I'm in it but the NPC coverage has been expaned to nine pages. The women are getting some biggers plugs. Yeah. I love the "my story" section. Anita Nikolich was the featured bber. Nicole Coleman was one of the featured Figure Gals.

Also, this year could be a turning point for the smaller girls with two extra pro cards being handed out at the Masters and the USA.

Never totally satisfied. I was a little disappointed that the sweet cover shot included Caucasian, Asian and Latin representation. Why no cute Black girl? Hummm. That was the reason I wrote to the editor in the first place. Perhaps I need to send them some names and more photos.

Woulda been nice to see more women in the who's up next to turn pro. I'll just start a thread now.

Aaron Singerman
05-08-2009, 11:37 PM
Time for my favorite dog picture:

maxititer
05-08-2009, 11:50 PM
hey everybody,

interesting discussion and I like that trend in female BB, good direction indeed.

here is one photograph I want to share. Hardly any one on streets, when he will see this girl can say that she is a holder of few world records in power lifting.

Carolyn Bryant
05-09-2009, 01:33 AM
Time for my favorite dog picture:

That's not a dog.

Carolyn Bryant
05-09-2009, 01:35 AM
Man, I miss powerlifting. Kudos to her.

maxititer
05-09-2009, 04:13 AM
http://www.twixpix.com/contests/CA08/twx_CA0855_BG.jpg

it is Arnold Classic 2009 lightweight 1st place Johanna Dejager

I'm not sure if it will be good idea for her to reduce muscularity on 20%

vboissiere
05-10-2009, 03:43 AM
[quote=Carolyn Bryant;239759]
Also, this year could be a turning point for the smaller girls with two extra pro cards being handed out at the Masters and the USA.

Never totally satisfied. I was a little disappointed that the sweet cover shot included Caucasian, Asian and Latin representation. Why no cute Black girl? Hummm. That was the reason I wrote to the editor in the first place. Perhaps I need to send them some names and more photos...

Because it's believed that blacks on covers don't sell.

vboissiere
05-10-2009, 03:47 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6bR0qsqFRPg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6bR0qsqFRPg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

That was some insulting shit to the women who bust there ass to express themselves as they wish. the "20% rule"... 20% less than what?

They also need a lot more female judges.

Carolyn Bryant
05-10-2009, 12:01 PM
Ms. Johanna looks wonderful. Her face does not display ill affects of male hormones.

That's the best thing I've heard today. We do need more female judges. But that won't help your cause.

As for the "express themselves as they wish"....that's what makes our sport self-indulging nonsense. That androgenous, drugged out, totally huge and ripped from chemical enhancement ain't working for us, potna. Not collectively.

Bust their asses??? You mean break the bank! The message was not intended to be an insult. More like a huge hint to get their heads out of the sand. The judges told us what they want to see. And some women keep firing back - this is what you're gonna get. And what do we get for taking that position? Pimp slapped!

The writing is on the wall. The message is clear. But some women (and the men who support them) are too dayum stubborn to read it or heed to it simply because they don't want people telling them how to look.

A few bad apples spoil the whole bunch. If you go back to 1980, the goal of women's bodybuilding WAS NOT to be the biggest, hardest, most ripped as you possibly can. It was a display of beauty, feminine physique with natural curves and some muscle.

Quote from a IFBB Judge Winston Roberts: "The fans will come back if they bring back the beauty."

lil mama
05-10-2009, 12:35 PM
Hello hope all is well in your part of the world:) Now getting back to the video as I see it and please understand it is my opinion being stated when I say....upon first coming to view video I never saw it as insulting but rather an informative tool, The judges are simply stating their point of view of what it will take to save the women bb, we need to start coming out in numbers to compete at the local level and at the pro level all of us whether your small or large....at the national shows these last couple years the judges have been somewhat consistent but we need it across the board and we as females must decide how your gonna come in. This video was posted in 05 and were in 09 so if changes are to take hold consistency must be in both ends.Theres got to be a Happy meduim somewhere....maybe its just me and wishful thinking.

That was some insulting shit to the women who bust there ass to express themselves as they wish. the "20% rule"... 20% less than what?

They also need a lot more female judges.

Carolyn Bryant
05-10-2009, 01:11 PM
And the beat goes on, Lil Mama. That's why we are stagnant. No comraderie iwithin our ranks. The fitness and figure girls got the same message and they retreated because most of them did not like the hardness. They were beginning to look too much like bodybuilders. When bodybuilders began to look like men, it didn't seem to bother some women. The lack of respect, low wages, drop in sponsorship, TV coverage, magazine coverage, minimized to an afterthought didn't bother them either. Well it did, but not enough to change. Some just quit.

Here we are on a mission to get them back. Get new blood flowing. But there isn't much to dangle in their faces to make it worthwhile IMHO.

The minority rules. The majority of pro an am women as well as the gen pop are not willing to distort their bodies to the level we see now. The biggest problem is we all have totally different images of what woman's bodybuilding should be.

People claim women's bbing will never be "phased out." What indehell do you call what is happening now? There's no point in getting rid of it when you can collect $200, or $400 a year for dues.

MASTER9
05-27-2009, 07:51 PM
Carolyn, did you get the results of the women on AAS study back that you were looking for- the one Enda K. had completed? You said you and a friend were working on a smiliar project and were trying to gather as much scientific/practical information as possible.

How is that working out for you?

Carolyn Bryant
05-27-2009, 10:35 PM
Have not heard from Edna. The rest is on hold for now.

MASTER9
05-28-2009, 06:47 PM
Have not heard from Edna. The rest is on hold for now.
Lots of luck on your mission.