PDA

View Full Version : etosisI really dont know if Im in k (testing strip, BGL meter, diet)

steven22
04-24-2009, 12:06 PM
Alright.. Iv started my first Keto diet and have been on it for 3 weeks.... I havnt done any cheat meals yet...

I have lost about 4-5lbs already... but I recently bought Regeant strips for urinary ketones testing... which was about 3 days ago... I have tested myself 5 times already. each one came up negative OR barely pink (lowest level) the barely pink ones are only half light light pink and half beige

I Also found my moms BGL meter... and tested myself twice... once in the morning which was 103mg and once at night after my last meal which was at 130mg (I did a google search and it stated that my bgl should be around 60 while in ketosis)

The diet Im following was sort of like dave's 200+ diet with a few extra things here and there... once a week I go out to eat with buddies.. and I try my best to avoid carbs... (japanese, indian, chinese places) I just stuck with the meat products... but some of them had teri sause and I tried my best to avoid them.

The ingrediants in my diet are as follows

Trueprotien concentrate (2g carbs per serving) 23g protien
EVOO (goya)
Smuckers natty PB
Omega 3 soft gel cap fish oil (do the soft gelatin caps have carbs? i eat about 12 a day)
chicken breasts, chicken drum sticks ,
non omega 3 eggs
American cheese singles (>1g carbs per 2 slices) 10g fat per 2 slices

----

Meal 1 : 2.5scoops whey, 1tbs natty pb, 1tbs EVOO, 4 omega 3 gel caps

Meal 2 : 5 whole eggs, 4 whites , omlet with 2 slices of cheese

meal 3 : 6-8oz of chicken breast with 2 slices of cheese 4 omega 3 pills

meal 4 : 2 drumsticks no skin, or ligaments/cartalidge with 2 slices of cheese

meal 5 PWO : 2.5 scoops whey, 1tbs natty ,1tbs evoo , 4 omega 3 gell caps

meal 6 : 5 whole eggs , 4 whites omlet with 2 slices of cheese

-----------

should I have nothing to worry about?.... after putting the above diet in fitday.com its about 22-30grams of carbs.

Myth
04-27-2009, 09:15 PM
if you are losing fat and feel great mentally, then you're good to go:)

does all that cheese constipate you?
you need some veggies too bro

Tatyana
04-27-2009, 09:16 PM
Your body is going to be using the ketone bodies as fuel, so you are not going to excrete them.

If the keto strips turn anything darker than beige or light pink, it is ketoacidosis, which is a medical emergency.

The strips were designed for diabetes to make sure they are no going into ketoacidosis.

Your body may also keep your blood glucose levels fairly stable.

I know my fasting and post-prandial (eating levels) are never all that different.

Frosty
04-27-2009, 09:19 PM
Don't worry so much about ketosis lol. Keep carbs under 40g per day total and you'll be fine. You'll have elevated cortisol if you're always worrying about ketosis and testing yourself with stuff!!! Hell your blood glucose might read high because you're worrying about ketosis, and then testing it, and the increased cortisol from worry increases your blood glucose! lol

steven22
04-29-2009, 10:58 AM
if you are losing fat and feel great mentally, then you're good to go:)

does all that cheese constipate you?
you need some veggies too bro

well im a 20y/o guy that doesnt really know how to cook.... my meats taste like crap and cheese is all that makes them taste better instead of using ketchup or bbq sause.

unless you have suggestions...

veggies confuse me....most of them have carbs... so I dont know what to eat. eating just plain lettuce seems pointless.

steven22
04-29-2009, 11:02 AM
Your body is going to be using the ketone bodies as fuel, so you are not going to excrete them.

If the keto strips turn anything darker than beige or light pink, it is ketoacidosis, which is a medical emergency.

The strips were designed for diabetes to make sure they are no going into ketoacidosis.

Your body may also keep your blood glucose levels fairly stable.

I know my fasting and post-prandial (eating levels) are never all that different.

Really now?.... I know I didnt read the info on this forum but alot of other keto related topics were talking about how they prefer their strips show dark pink.... hmmm thats good to know...

Is there a fine line between ketosis and ketoacidosis?... and how do I prevent myself from crossing it?...

Frosty
04-29-2009, 11:03 AM
unless you have suggestions...

LEARN TO COOK! lol

All veggies have carbs. Just choose ones that are low in it and high in fiber, for example broccoli and spinach.

steven22
04-29-2009, 11:04 AM
Don't worry so much about ketosis lol. Keep carbs under 40g per day total and you'll be fine. You'll have elevated cortisol if you're always worrying about ketosis and testing yourself with stuff!!! Hell your blood glucose might read high because you're worrying about ketosis, and then testing it, and the increased cortisol from worry increases your blood glucose! lol

yup... my carbs are definately under 40... its actually under 30 now...
the test strips are still barely light pink.

I had no idea about the blood glucose... I guess I can stop pricking myself daily... its starting to hurt :(.... I just really wanted to make sure I wasnt doing anything wrong. Is it still normal to be in hyperglycemia even though Im barely eating carbs?.... is all that glucose coming from my protien?

steven22
04-29-2009, 11:08 AM
LEARN TO COOK! lol

All veggies have carbs. Just choose ones that are low in it and high in fiber, for example broccoli and spinach.

Sir Yes sir..... Im a full time college student and employee. so when I cook my meats, I make a full weeks worth and store them in tuppaware. most of the time because of my incompetence, I screw it up and I end up eating over cooked,dry bland meats for a week .. FML

I like those 2... and its easy as pie to make!

Frosty
04-29-2009, 11:14 AM
yup... my carbs are definately under 40... its actually under 30 now...
the test strips are still barely light pink.

I had no idea about the blood glucose... I guess I can stop pricking myself daily... its starting to hurt :(.... I just really wanted to make sure I wasnt doing anything wrong. Is it still normal to be in hyperglycemia even though Im barely eating carbs?.... is all that glucose coming from my protien?

There's nothing wrong with the body turning protein into glucose. It's an adaptation to a low carb diet. So long as your fat is 40-47% of calories you'll be fine.

And I wasn't totally kidding about worrying increasing cortisol which raises blood sugar levels. Relax and do the diet. Have fun. If you get the diet right, it will work. Don't stress over it.

Frosty
04-29-2009, 11:16 AM
Sir Yes sir..... Im a full time college student and employee. so when I cook my meats, I make a full weeks worth and store them in tuppaware. most of the time because of my incompetence, I screw it up and I end up eating over cooked,dry bland meats for a week .. FML

I like those 2... and its easy as pie to make!

A meat thermometer is very valuable for cooking chicken. It's done when the thickest part reaches 165F. People tend to overcook chicken breasts.

Look up some recipes to try. I play around with all kinds of things from curry chicken to stir fry type to BBQ chicken, or all kinds of things. Just takes practice to learn to cook :)

steven22
04-29-2009, 01:54 PM
Thanks a lot Frosty for the advice

just 2 more things...

do fish oil pills with the soft gel caps have any carbs?... the label says its made from gelatin and glycerin... all I know is when it touches my tongue, it tastes a bit sweet... I used to eat about 12 or so of those a day 1g each.

Since I found my test strips werent showing positive... I started cutting carbs even more from my diet... and brought it down to under 30 (20-26) ... to do this, I cut out PB, Cashews , Nuts, my fish pills, number of yolks from 5 to 4.

after doing some more reading, Im a little confused about nuts. Are the carbs in there not going hinder ketosis because of fiber?..are there still insulin spiking carbs in the nuts and PB?

what I did was replace the PB that I had with my shake with Olive oil. same with the cashews.

Frosty
04-29-2009, 02:31 PM
Fish oil pills do not contain carbs, so they're fine. Take them, lots of them (9+ a day).

Nuts do contain some carbs. This is only a problem if TOTAL carbs throughout the day adds up too much. 2g carbs in nuts are fine, but eat that 30 times a day just for example, then you got 60g of carbs which is too much. Cashews contain the most carbs and I do not recommend them.

Another thing to keep in mind that a small amount of carbs isn't going to "spike" insulin regardless of the glycemic index. If you take 1g of pure dextrose, which is very high GI, you won't have any real effect on insulin. This is called glycemic load, which essentially mean that AMOUNT matters at times more than the glycemic index.