PDA

View Full Version : OK, this is what I dont get re: Holding Water

Manavs
04-24-2009, 01:40 PM
As the title says, this is what i dont get.

Ive read many people talk about keeping sodium levels HIGH then cut it some point close to the show.

Others have used minimal sodium levels and then spiked them the day or so before the show.

and people have had success with both protocols to some degree.

Heres my question -

utilizing a high protein, med fat, low carb ketogenic diet - if your sodium level is high and your still holding water - not fat - 5-6 weeks out - what do you do?

pull the salt?
add some carbs?
other?

im a bit confused any guidance is appreciated.
:confused:

Manavs
04-24-2009, 01:54 PM
lemme refine what "sodium level is high" means - salting each meal generously. enough so you can taste it. i dunno how many grams this is but its definitely salted foods.

SpeedoGuido
04-24-2009, 04:05 PM
The Diet Doc, Dr. Joe Klemczewski just did a show on Natural Bodybuilding Radio that you might find interesting.... or maybe even more confusing! He talked in detail about this very subject, although not specifically using a low carb ketogenic diet.
You can download it on iTunes.

Manavs
04-24-2009, 04:30 PM
thanks ill look into it

NTBB
04-24-2009, 07:05 PM
Difficult subject.
I now adopted the principle of, if your in shape, ready to go say a week out why change it? The small % possibly gained is far less than the % loss if you stuff it up. I've seen guys in awesome shape a week out, then on stage they look like a completely different person.
But your 5-6 weeks out dropping sodium will serve little benefit. You need some salt in your diet or your potassium will be too low which can be detrimental.

Manavs
04-24-2009, 07:37 PM
Difficult subject.
I now adopted the principle of, if your in shape, ready to go say a week out why change it? The small % possibly gained is far less than the % loss if you stuff it up. I've seen guys in awesome shape a week out, then on stage they look like a completely different person.
But your 5-6 weeks out dropping sodium will serve little benefit. You need some salt in your diet or your potassium will be too low which can be detrimental.

Thanks NTBB -

just realized there was a mathematical / conversion issue. i think i've resolved the issue - the amount of sodium was lower than required.

thanks!:wavey:

fitnita
09-03-2009, 01:17 PM
i agree with NTBB... also, you didn't mention how much activity you are doing...increased cortisol levels will also cause water retention... avoid stress and overactivity in the gym as this will give your body the propensity to manufacture cortisol, thereby causing an increase in water retention...

AVBG
09-03-2009, 03:57 PM
Just my opinion... If I were holding water 5-6 weeks out, I wouldn't worry about it. My plan would be (blood pressure and health permitting) is to marginally increase both water and salt intake for the next 4-5 weeks then cut salt out completely (as per the contest program).

rockhard
09-05-2009, 09:53 PM
Just my opinion... If I were holding water 5-6 weeks out, I wouldn't worry about it. My plan would be (blood pressure and health permitting) is to marginally increase both water and salt intake for the next 4-5 weeks then cut salt out completely (as per the contest program).

Perfect advice. At 5-6 weeks out, how much water you are holding does not matter. I would also increase sodium up to and including the final week, cutting it Friday for a Saturday show. I also keep water intake high until bedtime on Friday night. No fluid until pump up, then I take in about 12-16 oz. with a Snickers or Reeses. This protocol has worked very well for me, always hitting the stage full, hard, dry and vascular. The bottom line is everyone is different, experiment and learn what works for you. All of the above is irrelevant if you are not absolutely shredded to begin with. No amount of sodium/water manipulation will make up for a lack of conditioning. 99% of the time "holding water" = lack of conditioning.