PDA

View Full Version : Accupuncture before a competition??

KBigz81
04-26-2009, 05:43 AM
I'm 1 week out from my bodybuilding competition and have a huge knot in on the right side of my back between my shoulder blade and spine. I've tried 4 deep tissue massages in the past 2 weeks w/no relief. I just don't think my body can recover from those massages since my body is already under alot of stress. I'm having trouble doing my rear poses because of the burning and pain from that knot. Sometimes its so bad I've had to take ultram to help w/the pain. Does anyone know if getting accupuncture 1 week out from a show help or hurt me more? I've never had it done before so I don't know much about it, but I don't know what else to do. I need to stop taking the ultram because I'm afraid its going to cause me to retain water. I have a tens unit that I use frequently but its only temporary relief.

DistinctChoice
04-27-2009, 05:38 PM
Acupuncture can definitely help with what sounds like a myofascial trigger point. See if you can get into see this guy in your area:

Jerry Stedwill, MD
Address: Randolph Building, 100 Ne Randolph Ace, Peoria, IL 61606
Phone: 309-624-8550
Fax: 309-624-8552

The TENS unit alone may not relieve the muscle tension, but TENS applied to acupuncture needles (done by a professional like the guy above, not by yourself!) is amazing for this kind of stuff.

Otherwise, someone who does acupuncture and does have experience with athletes/sports injuries. Now is not the time to seek out an Eastern Medicine oriented practitioner to "balance your qi".

Hope this is helpful!

KBigz81
04-27-2009, 05:55 PM
yes thank you! I'm calling them right now!

cheddar cheese
04-27-2009, 06:43 PM
I had the exact same injury and tried everything, then finally decided to give accupuncture a try and now I swear by it. Good luck at your comp.