PDA

View Full Version : Evans vs. Machida

Plates
04-26-2009, 03:07 PM
(http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:openppl%28%27ppl.sendarticle.asp?a=8646%27,0, 0,360,240%29) -COULD LYOTO VS. RASHAD BE ONE FOR THE AGES?
Sunday, April 26, 2009 - by Brian Lopez-Benchimol - MMAWeekly.com
http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/articlefiles/8646-LyotoRashad.jpg
There are very few times in mixed martial arts today where fights are truly groundbreaking and affect the history of the sport as we know it.

Anderson Silva has cemented his own legacy, setting a new precedent with his last bout at UFC 97, breaking the all time UFC record of consecutive wins, now standing at a total of nine, and tying the record of successful title defenses with five, alongside Matt Hughes and Tito Ortiz. However, one fight in particular has flown under the radar and undeservedly so.

How often in our sport can we see two fighters in their prime, both undefeated, challenging for the UFC's most coveted title? “I don’t think well ever witness this sort of fight again,” said Ed Soares regarding the main event of UFC 98, headlined by challenger Lyoto Machida and light heavyweight champion Rashad Evans.

Though neither Evans nor Machida have garnered the sort of star power of a Chuck Liddell or Randy Couture, Soares feels as though this is a bout that will impact the sport's history in a way that will possibly never be seen again on the big stage. “I think this may the first and only time we see something of this magnitude in the type of show that the UFC is. Yeah, you might see two people undefeated in the smaller shows, but for a UFC light heavyweight title, an undefeated champion versus an undefeated challenger, when are we ever going to see that again?”

Some would look towards past performances from the two and analyze this bout to be expectedly lackluster. As both Evans and Machida's first few fights went to decision within the UFC, people should look at they’re last commanding performances to be an indication of big things on the horizon and an inevitably exciting fight. “People are saying it’s going to be a boring fight. I don’t think this fight is going to go the distance. Its not going to go the distance, someone is going to lose before the end of the bell. I guarantee it because neither one of these guys are going to want to come and just squeak out a win.”

Both fighters having earned a larger fan base with their most recent performances and the marketing machine that is the UFC, this fight will be one that is heavily emphasized as a fight that may very well be once in a lifetime. Evans having garnered the role as underdog for nearly his entire UFC career against big name opposition will have his sternest test to date, trying to prove the critics wrong yet again, and having the unenviable task of finding a chink in the otherwise unblemished armor of “The Dragon.” Undefeated records, the title, and pride, all at stake to create a night of magic.

“I don’t think it’s going to go to a decision; I don’t think it's going to go to the score cards," proclaims Soares. "I think this is one of those specialty fights that people should get interested in because this fight, technically, should be one of the biggest fights ever in UFC history.”

Dr Pangloss
04-26-2009, 03:47 PM
I'll take the underdog in this one. I always get burned when i pick against evans, but i'm doing it one more time here.

Machida by tko in 3

tornquad2
04-26-2009, 04:27 PM
iam picking machida man i hope evans gets his ass kicked bad

Plates
04-26-2009, 04:31 PM
I dont like Machida at all. Im hoping Evans catches his ass. I think Machida will out strike him, but it only takes one punch

davidyes
04-27-2009, 02:01 AM
I'll take the underdog in this one. I always get burned when i pick against evans, but i'm doing it one more time here.

Machida by tko in 3

I'm the opposite. I always choose Evans, and I have yet to lose by doing so!

Dr Pangloss
04-27-2009, 06:15 AM
I'm the opposite. I always choose Evans, and I have yet to lose by doing so!

smart man.

Mr X
04-27-2009, 06:20 AM
Machida will slap that smug smile off Evans Face and take his belt...believe it!

Johnny Phenomenon
04-27-2009, 08:05 PM

Machida by tko in 3

Machida ain't the underdog here. He might be on the score cards, but all Evans has is speed and a looping shot. He really lost to Tito.

beggs_05
04-28-2009, 12:16 AM
13-0-1 and light heavyweight champion of the ufc... and the only tools he has are a looping shot and speed. Come on now. Wait, you're the one who said Anderson Silva doesn't have punching power, right? It's all starting to make sense...

Johnny Phenomenon
04-28-2009, 07:47 PM
13-0-1 and light heavyweight champion of the ufc... and the only tools he has are a looping shot and speed. Come on now. Wait, you're the one who said Anderson Silva doesn't have punching power, right? It's all starting to make sense...

Because Anderson knocked out Thales? Oh right.

Who has Rashad beat other than Bisping, Chuck, and Forrest? Oh right, Brad Imes, Sam Hoger, and Danny Anderson to name a few. Who you ask? Exactly.

So do us all a favour: find an extension cord and hang yourself.

beggs_05
04-29-2009, 03:34 AM
Because Anderson knocked out Thales? Oh right.

Who has Rashad beat other than Bisping, Chuck, and Forrest? Oh right, Brad Imes, Sam Hoger, and Danny Anderson to name a few. Who you ask? Exactly.

So do us all a favour: find an extension cord and hang yourself.

I'm sorry, I just find your argument lacking much validity. While I respect your opinion as a Mixed Martial Arts fan, I simply felt the need to point out the flaws in your argument. Instead of childishly attacking me, you'd be way better off proving me wrong by backing your statements up a little better. You say a guy who's made his name in the UFC by knocking people out lacks punching power. Again, I respect your opinion, but when you look at the facts (14 TKOS in 24 wins), it's hard to justify A. Silva not having punching power. I might be mistaken, but I did not bring up anything about the Leites fight. So what point are you trying to prove? Although I am very familiar with Rashad Evans' career as an MMA fighter, I didn't bring up any of his past fights. So why are you? What I meant by my statement was that you must be very misinformed if you believe Rashad Evans only has a looping shot and speed. Rashad Evans has proven that he not only has a powerful looping shot and speed, but he has athleticism and great wrestling, much like he's shown in his past fights, as well as his wrestling career at Michigan State. I can't stand when people discredit fighters and provide absolutely no credible information in regards to their opinions.

Back on the subject of Machida vs. Evans. I think Machida's technical striking and takedown defense will inhibit Evans from mounting any kind of offense. Although Evans has one punch KO power, I'm calling a decision in favor of Machida.

Johnny Phenomenon
04-29-2009, 08:40 PM
I'm sorry, I just find your argument lacking much validity. While I respect your opinion as a Mixed Martial Arts fan, I simply felt the need to point out the flaws in your argument. Instead of childishly attacking me, you'd be way better off proving me wrong by backing your statements up a little better. You say a guy who's made his name in the UFC by knocking people out lacks punching power. Again, I respect your opinion, but when you look at the facts (14 TKOS in 24 wins), it's hard to justify A. Silva not having punching power. I might be mistaken, but I did not bring up anything about the Leites fight. So what point are you trying to prove? Although I am very familiar with Rashad Evans' career as an MMA fighter, I didn't bring up any of his past fights. So why are you? What I meant by my statement was that you must be very misinformed if you believe Rashad Evans only has a looping shot and speed. Rashad Evans has proven that he not only has a powerful looping shot and speed, but he has athleticism and great wrestling, much like he's shown in his past fights, as well as his wrestling career at Michigan State. I can't stand when people discredit fighters and provide absolutely no credible information in regards to their opinions.

Back on the subject of Machida vs. Evans. I think Machida's technical striking and takedown defense will inhibit Evans from mounting any kind of offense. Although Evans has one punch KO power, I'm calling a decision in favor of Machida.

Anderson doesn't have punching power, he has precision punching. He never one punches guys, he overwhelms them with strikes.

Evans has speed, a looping punch, and momentum. His wrestling has never be a true factor. When he beat Griffin, he had already concussed him, so his wrestling wasn't a true factor. He decisioned Bisping, and one punched Chuck with a looping punch.

I do agree: Machida by decision.

beggs_05
04-29-2009, 10:41 PM
Anderson doesn't have punching power, he has precision punching. He never one punches guys, he overwhelms them with strikes.

Evans has speed, a looping punch, and momentum. His wrestling has never be a true factor. When he beat Griffin, he had already concussed him, so his wrestling wasn't a true factor. He decisioned Bisping, and one punched Chuck with a looping punch.

I do agree: Machida by decision.

I completely agree with you that A. Silva has precision punching, and I do believe that his precision outweighs his power. However, two fights come to mind when I believe Silva displayed the power in his punches. Although I do believe Leben and Irvin are far from Silva's caliber, he showed how hard he punches by completely dazing and putting Leben (who is known for his chin) on the canvas with a straight right and a left jab. He also completely dropped Irvin with one jab. Like I said before, Leben and Irvin are far from Silva's level, but in my mind, those two fights clearly display punching power.

As far as Rashad goes, when he came into the UFC he was purely a wrestler with very little well rounded MMA skill. His early fights, as well as fights on the Ultimate Fighter, did display his wrestling ability. I do agree with you about the Griffin fight, and in recent times I do not believe Rashad's wrestling has played a huge role in dictating the outcome of the fight. I was merely point out that he did have a better than average wrestling ability and that, despite the fact that his use of it has been subtle in recent fights, it is present.

Sensei
04-30-2009, 12:38 AM
I gotta go w/ Machida on this one probly by decision hope its not close cuz then the judges usually sway the way of the champ. Hope machida can end it before the final bell

2manytoyz
05-03-2009, 06:55 AM
Both great and I believe underated fighters. The money is on Rashand for me but it could go either way. Having Greg Jackson as a coach is also a major advantage.

Charles Kozeluh
05-03-2009, 10:43 PM
Imo machida might be the best in the world not named fedor has the guy even lost a round recently? I have been wrong before but I think machida is just a little to much for rashad

Pikis Kolis
05-04-2009, 12:11 AM
I dislike both of them but I want Machida to knock out Evans. Who ever wins, I want Quinton to knock out the winner.

BrandonBass
05-04-2009, 09:53 AM
Gotta go Machida on this one. Can't stand Rashad! Rampage deserves the next shot at the title....he is a beast

bringingthehuge
05-16-2009, 09:30 AM
this is a tough one. machida is a good striker and a very unorthodox fighter which makes him very dangerous. but i got to go with evans i think he's just to fast and to strong

bringingthehuge
05-16-2009, 09:36 AM
head down pumped up
this is a tough one. machida is a good striker and a very unorthodox fighter which makes him very dangerous. but i got to go with evans i think he's just to fast and to strong

dublin-lifter
05-18-2009, 11:40 AM
its going to be tough but i think evans can do it

Mr X
05-30-2009, 08:40 AM
Machida will slap that smug smile off Evans Face and take his belt...believe it!

well done X right again.

Plates
05-30-2009, 09:27 PM
well done X right again.

I think you failed in that statement though. There was no smile on Rashads face....at all. :)