PDA

View Full Version : 5-htp

freak
04-26-2009, 05:13 PM
i'm just curious to see how many people have taken this stuff and how it worked for you?

for me, this stuff is like a miracle supplement for mood enhancement. the little things dont bother me at all. some things that would bother me and i would think about over and over normally become comparable to water off a ducks back. really enhanced mood and sleeping patterns for me. the good feelings become better and the bad feelings are a little more tolerable.

*feel free to add any empirical evidence (or evidence against) its effectiveness.

apex23
04-26-2009, 05:28 PM
I saw something that it is even more effective when taken with Graham Crackers....something along that line. It had something do to with even better absorption...

Dr Pangloss
04-26-2009, 06:25 PM
this is just a precursor of serotonin. it obviously elevates serotonin levels. ssri's work to elevate working serotonin as well.

apex23
04-26-2009, 07:43 PM
I have take up 300mg before and never saw or felt any different, but I have a friend that says he feels great on it.

So it might be great for some and do nothing for others.

Formula94
04-26-2009, 10:01 PM
A friend of mine is a psychiatrist and she recommends to most of her pt's dealing w/ depression/mild mood disorders to try 5-HTP and/or St. Johns Wart before prescribing SSRIs.

Foreskin
04-26-2009, 10:34 PM
i was using it with melatonin and gaba for relaxation before bed and in the morning with st. john's wort,didnt' feel it did anything for me

Dr Pangloss
04-27-2009, 05:55 AM
A friend of mine is a psychiatrist and she recommends to most of her pt's dealing w/ depression/mild mood disorders to try 5-HTP and/or St. Johns Wart before prescribing SSRIs.

this is probably a good idea. too many sides from ssris. including weight gain from fat.

Tatyana
04-27-2009, 06:06 AM
Clubbers use it after getting off their faces on X to replenish serotonin levels, and it does seem to work.

It is a very expensive supp though.

Dr Pangloss
04-27-2009, 06:17 AM
Clubbers use it after getting off their faces on X to replenish serotonin levels, and it does seem to work.

X is the one drug i'm actually not keen on at all. it has been shown to kill serotonergic neurons. Almost no drugs actually kill neurons, but X does.

Tatyana
04-27-2009, 06:35 AM
X is the one drug i'm actually not keen on at all. it has been shown to kill serotonergic neurons. Almost no drugs actually kill neurons, but X does.

I must admit, I have loved X the times I have done it.

I do find it disconcerting that there are people that take X nearly every weekend, and they have to take upwards of 5 tablets (more sometimes) to get the same outrageous loved-up phenomenal feeling you get the first time.

It does have a bit of that 'chasing the dragon' tendency to it.

It doesn't bode well for depression in the future.

Oh yes, would you post some abstracts with regards to this in the science section?

apex23
04-27-2009, 05:25 PM
I have taken my share of X as well.

freak
04-27-2009, 07:51 PM

not really. i got a bottle of 120x100mg caps for 23$ canadian.. so about 18$ american. i think its worth it as i notice appreciable benefits from it... think of how much you spend on a multi that doesnt seem to do anything.

Dr Pangloss
04-27-2009, 07:57 PM
there are lots of papers on X inducing apoptosis in all kinds of cells. i'll post up perhaps tomorrow.

natron
05-28-2009, 02:20 PM
5-htp works very well for many different conditions/ailments etc. The problem is similar to melatonin, in that it is very dose dependent. It also has alot of other factors, such as male/female/weight/neuro anatomy/effects desired etc.

A person looking to use 5-htp, should keep a detailed daily log, and increase decrease dosages to find what works best. Also keep in mind little variables such as with food/without, 1 hour before bed vs. 2 hours, and so on and so forth.

Also SSRI's and 5-hydroxytryptophan work differently, the 2 should not be compared.

Rick